• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Yet most people cannot use it in their homes unless they're lucky enough to have a dedicated gaming room. I want to get a Vive someday but I'll never use roomscale.

I use roomscale beteeen my living room couch and then tv. It's at the smallest it will allow but I don't dedicate a room to it. Granted I do at least live in a house (I'd say medium sized. No mansion but it's not tiny either).

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Look up Lone Echo, great visuals, some AAA voice talent (Troy Baker, Liam O'Brien), novel locomotion. However it is literally the only story focused PC VR game that comes to mind right now :/ Stormland will be the next one (holy crap thats a generic name, had to google it lol)

If I had PCVR I would pick up Lone Echo straight away, I've heard good things. But as you say it is an exception rather than the rule. I mean RE7 on PSVR is a good example of what can be done, but that is a AAA game with brand recognition and a 2D version to cover the risk. Skyrim too I suppose, but that has been ported to everything. I think the risk is too great for a big studio to release a AAA immersive adventure solely on VR right now. We'll need an up and coming surprise out of nowhere to lead the way.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see the "quality over quantity" shitposts have arrived. The complete ignorance of the actual VR market on ERA is absurdly astounding. PCVR has a lot more "quality" available too. Get out of your damn bubble and you will see the amazing games coming out every month.

Dan.

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
London & Taiwan
VR devs are interested in VR

PSVR sticks are far behind Touch and Knuckles (guessing thats what all these Vive devs are working on)

Look up Lone Echo, great visuals, some AAA voice talent (Troy Baker, Liam O'Brien), novel locomotion. However it is literally the only story focused PC VR game that comes to mind right now :/ Stormland will be the next one (holy crap thats a generic name, had to google it lol)

Please wait for stupid hate :)

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
For every Namco there are 20 indie developers. And these are also more likely to trawl conferences to build up their network. So without looking at developer size, these statistics are somewhat meaningless.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
VR needs power and ease of use developments wise, It's a new venture for many devs, PSVR has to work for base PS4 which just doesn't have the power to truly showcase VR off, Let alone indie devs trying to get it to work for it, Then pass Sonys QA.

PS5/PSVR2/Motion controls and then that's where secs will commit more, PCVR should Be more appealing.

Either way VR itself shouldnt fragment users, we need VR to take off bigtime. Oculus Quest hopefully is what sells mainstream.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I have no problem with Sony selling a cheaper, "entrypoint" VR system that helps upsell their hardware. My one problem with PSVR (and to a lesser extent, Oculus) is the moneyhatting of exclusives.

Astro Bot is the perfect example of how to do things the right way: investing in a strong, first-party title that really draws people to your device. And of course, if a developer wants to just make games for PSVR that's their own prerogative. But Resident Evil? Borderlands? Ace Combat? There is no reason why these games, which already have full PC ports, should not have their VR modes on PC as well, other than "Because Sony paid to block it." It's the same BS as the Epic Games Store.

I think it's more like "Sony funded the development" and that the VR modes would not exist at all if not for that.

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting

-Rift is 'just' 30%, but there other three Oculus products on the list.
-PSVR only with 13% is low, given they seem to be selling much more than the rest.
-And even more interesting, what the hell is "Other 42%". They already have put all the known VR devices and even coming ones like the Quest on the list. I can only think it's unannounced nextgen VR devices.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's strange because I haven't seen many games I want to play on Oculus as of late and PSVR has been killing it.
There's stormlands around the corner and from other suns is fun to play with friends.

I play all those games you mention. Like I said in my post I play both PSVR games and Steam VR games, they are all awesome in their own way but none of the Steam VR games listed capture me in the same way those few PSVR games do. Maybe it's due to the AAA budget behind Sony's VR offerings but I just find them more engaging. It has nothing to do with popularity or being "mainstream". I don't listen to reviewers or popular Youtubers when it comes to my gaming. I play games for what they are judge them based on my own opinion. Reviews are highly overrated especially when it comes to a niche medium like VR.

That's pretty AAA.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
still feels like PSV get's all the gems.
I want to play RE7, Astro Bot and Ace Combat on PC..
I might buy into PSVR2 if this run of exclusives for PSVR countinues.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm happy for HTC.

They've been through some rough moments in the recent years, they went all out with VR, but that market needs to grow much more, as a niche it's not a sustainable business.

Hopefully Valve surprises the world with some cool VR game at some point.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more like "Sony funded the development" and that the VR modes would not exist at all if not for that.

You can think that all you want, Borderlands 2, Skyrim, Beat Saber, they all have timed exclusivity. So why fund development on something that is only timed? Resident Evil 7 was also revealed that is was supposed to be a 1 year timed exclusive. It's not out of the question Sony paid to keep it exclusive.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Not sure whether I'm surprised or not, with PC marketplaces being more accessible for developers. The Vive is a brilliant piece of hardware though.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There are going to be a lot of small single person dev teams making games for their own oculus/vive etc, a lot easier to do that kind of thing on PC. Is always interesting to see these surveys and then try and extract what that information actually means.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
You can think that all you want, Borderlands 2, Skyrim, Beat Saber, they all have timed exclusivity. So why fund development on something that is only timed? Resident Evil 7 was also revealed that is was supposed to be a 1 year timed exclusive. It's not out of the question Sony paid to keep it exclusive.

Of course, if they fund it they want to keep it to their system. But I don't think these modes would exist at all without that funding with the exception of that song in beat saber. That looks more like the regular "extra missions on playstation" they do on normal games.

I'm not pro exclusivity in multi platform games but if the alternative is no vr mode at all I'm all for it.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We simply don't know, I'm not sure rampant and uninformed speculation is the way to go, even with your axe to grind.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think all PCVR game eventually get ported down to PSVR.
Not all, but most of them I can't really blame them like the interview with the team of Apex Construct said they sold more on PSVR then any other VR paltform combine.

They should all be coming to PSVR if it can be done, aside from Oculus funded games of course. I still think the hardware itself and the fact it also has to play nice with the regular PS4 holds it back a bit, probably explains why games like Project Cras 2 was never on PSVR.

Of course, if they fund it they want to keep it to their system. But I don't think these modes would exist at all without that funding with the exception of that song in beat saber. That looks more like the regular "extra missions on playstation" they do on normal games.

I'm not pro exclusivity in multi platform games but if the alternative is no vr mode at all I'm all for it.

That still doesn't explain why they would be timed.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
This makes sense. Developing for PC is cheaper and has a much lower barrier of entry. And if their game does well on PC then it might be worth investing in PSVR and the dev kits and finding a publisher, and doing all that extra work. Resetera has a tendency to seriously simplify the process of making video games, especially when it comes to porting those games to other hardware and digital ecosystems. It's not easy, it costs money, and there's serious risk involved.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
That still doesn't explain why they would be timed.

We'll see how timed they are.. RE7 is still not out on PC.
But I can see that being part of the contract, maybe after pressure from the developer.

In any case we will never know for sure. But I still prefer to get some VR than none. And if sony pays studios to make VR that is a plus imho.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I'm surprised that there wasn't more Quest dev love. I'm a former PSVR enthusiast, and decided to sell it and wait for Quest because I really think that's the future. I can see why smaller devs would choose PC development when one considers the cheaper costs. Upon success, it's easier to port to whatever PlayStation ends up doing.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't Microsoft Mixed Reality be on that list? Is it's because it largely just works with anything that supports the Vive?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Beat Saber isn't exclusive... It was out on PC far before it was on PSVR.

Also in the case of RE7, we've been given no indication that there was a PCVR version in the works and then cancelled after Sony helped foot the bill. Everything we've seen indicates RE7 VR wouldn't exist if Sony hadn't helped pay the costs.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PSVR made me buy in a Rift. :P

I wished and received the PSVR for christmas, mainly for Astrobot. Didn't really have any expectations for it, haven't used a VR headset (HMD) since 2 years ago with a rollercoasrer demo, didn't really care for it.

PSVR blew me away, but as I already had a ton of games with VR mode on Steam so I decided to buy a Rift (much cheaper than VIVE).

The clearer IQ, the tracking and room scale (bought a 3rd sensor) improves the experience massively.

Looking forward to gen 2 of Rift/VIVE or Valves VR headset.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
Okay, gang. Let's settle down here. No need for PCVR-users to attack PSVR-players and vice-versa. If VR, in general, does well, we all benefit. Those of us without huge PC rigs and room space benefit just as much as those that do. If PCVR gets more games, many of the top sellers will trickle down to us lowly PSVR-gamers like Beat Saber. And eventually, quality triple-A titles Ace Combat and RE7 will probably go out to the PCVR-crowd.

tl;dr—we should all be happy that the medium hasn't been abandoned—like those lowly Kinect-fans. I think we can both agree they suck.

Kidding. Please don't ban me. I used to be a Kinect-fan.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I really like my PSVR but I can't wait for a wireless headset that allows you to walk around a bit.

I won't have a room to set up room scale so something where the headset does some basic tracking would be great for me.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
There are going to be a lot of small single person dev teams making games for their own oculus/vive etc, a lot easier to do that kind of thing on PC. Is always interesting to see these surveys and then try and extract what that information actually means.

No one asked you to bring common sense to this discussion!

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Astro Bot is one thing, because apparently nobody cares about or has played Lucky's Tale.
But PCVR has multiple futuristic VR racers like Distance, Redout, BallisticNG, and Radial-G.
There are also 25+ non-space based flying and or flight simulation VR games on steam as well, many of them actual full titles and not bite size samplers like Ace Combat and that Battlefront DLC.

No kidding. People also point to a publicized PSVR game like Firewall as a prime VR FPS multiplayer game done right, but they've never tried titles like Pavlov, Onward, or Contractors.

"Quality v Quantity" is not a good argument when the main difference simply comes down to "PSVR games are the only good games I hear about", despite there being a higher number of equally quality titles elsewhere that aren't pushed as hard.

Almost everyday i wonder if this place is really the place where the enthusiasts gamers gather to talk about videogames.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Beat Saber was on PC wellll before it came to PSVR. Are you thinking of a different game?

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more intrigued how many of us PSVR users are going to buy the Oculus Quest as a tie over until we get PS5. I know me and few friends are doing so, The thought of just having no wires is so glorious and its only the 3rd year for VR basically, And we have standalone VR already.

Wonder what Cerny has baked into PS5 for VR.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I'm happy for HTC.

They've been through some rough moments in the recent years, they went all out with VR, but that market needs to grow much more, as a niche it's not a sustainable business.

Hopefully Valve surprises the world with some cool VR game at some point.

I love my vive but I'm not. If oculus wasn't owned by fb I'd tell everyone to get it. hTC's horrible customer support is enough to be a deal killer even though I really love the vive. Just that oculus being owned by Facebook is more of a deal killer to me.

I just really wish steam could get some one else to make a really good headset for them so in the future I have another option. I mean the only worse customer service I've heard of is from scam companies. I'm terrified of my vive breaking cause ir seems I'm better off paying full price for a new one rather than trying to get htc to fix it (even paying for it. And they've charged plenty of people who were under warranty even).

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I love my vive but I'm not. If oculus wasn't owned by fb I'd tell everyone to get it. hTC's horrible customer support is enough to be a deal killer even though I really love the vive. Just that oculus being owned by Facebook is more of a deal killer to me.

I just really wish steam could get some one else to make a really good headset for them so in the future I have another option. I mean the only worse customer service I've heard of is from scam companies. I'm terrified of my vive breaking cause ir seems I'm better off paying full price for a new one rather than trying to get htc to fix it (even paying for it. And they've charged plenty of people who were under warranty even).

Their customer service used to be top notch with phones, so it surprises me to hear this, on the other hand you have to understand HTC is a very small company now.

They co-developed the project with Valve and some of its features are designed at HTC, Valve also offered the opportunity to other manufacturers like LG, but the fact that so far we only saw the Vive means only HTC committed to the project.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Anyways I love my vive and I'm glad it's getting a lot of support since I own one (I just wish valve would find a new partner because htc is horrible). But I think psvr doing well is good also. PSVR is more likely to bring people who might be interested but aren't true enthusiasts (yet)into the fold cause it is much more accessible. Cheaper and easier to setup and no worrying about if you have the right specs to play something (if it says psvr you can play it). All the advantages of a console that tend to make consoles more mainstream.

That's good for VR and it's needs more of that right now.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Their customer service used to be top notch with phones, so it surprises me to hear this, on the other hand you have to understand HTC is a very small company now.

They co-developed the project with Valve and some of its features are designed at HTC, Valve also offered the opportunity to other manufacturers like LG, but the fact that so far we only saw the Vive means only HTC committed to the project.

Read any story about some one having to deal with them now. It's not just mildly bad. Charging for warranty repairs and taking months with the person having to constantly bug them only to get it back unfixed or even with something new broken. And this is the usual story with them, it's almost predictable (to the point then I've subreddit will tell people what did they expect they should have just returned to vendor. And never buy from direct htc so you can deal with some one else instead. Hell, they were recommending to some one recently to buy a lighthouse 1.0 to use while he waited however long it was for htc to repair his under warranty. He rightfully felt it was ridiculous to reward them for how horrible they were being but they pointed out it is unfair but it would be less stressful to just get over that and at least he could enjoy his device. It's so bad that it's accepted that it's just better to spend money to fix what's they should be fixing ). Sorry, but being a small company does not excuse it. Valve needs to find a new partner. HTC at this point deserves to die. And I love my vive. I suppose I'd be just as happy if htc did a big turn around (as if valve found a New partner) and became a decent company but I don't see vr saving them and I think they won't improve unless they stop being a dying company (another reason why valve needs to find some one else).

Last edited:

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
It seems odd to separate out HTC Vive from other PC VR headsets because it likely means SteamVR title that is cross compatible. Very excited for the Oculus Quest so glad to see there is a good amount of dev interest.

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
This is just insane, there must be a VR standard enforced, like with TVs. All headsets should be compatible with all devices and games.