• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
When I saw the thread title my first thought was, "Maybe this one won't be roguelike!" Disappointed.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
The thread says Mega Man X in the title. A roguelike game is not what I expected when clicking.

It says it is the Mega Man X to 20XX specifically. If this was a brand new series I wouldn't say anything but this is a sequel.

you joke as if that hasn't already happened

Here's the thing: most people have probably never even heard of 20XX. I knew about it vaguely from the steam store but didn't know it was a roguelike. I avoided it because I didn't care for the art. People have a thirst for a good, retro style Mega Man game for a long while. So when something looks and sounds as great as this does, to be hit with "also it's a roguelike" is disappointing.

I feel a better comparison is how every AAA game nowadays has to be open world, just because that's been the trend.

So those people exist and you're fine being like that? It is a sequel to a roguelite, a fairly unique one at that. You're comparison doesn't hold up because most indie games aren't roguelikes or roguelites. There are a number of them, but so what? There are a ton of other indie games that aren't in that genre. If you're looking for games specifically like Mega Man play 11 or Gunvolt.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It says it is the Mega Man X to 20XX specifically. If this was a brand new series I wouldn't say anything but this is a sequel.

So those people exist and you're fine being like that? It is a sequel to a roguelite, a fairly unique one at that. You're comparison doesn't hold up because most indie games aren't roguelikes or roguelites. There are a number of them, but so what? There are a ton of other indie games that aren't in that genre. If you're looking for games specifically like Mega Man play 11 or Gunvolt.

Again: it's a sequel to a game most people have never heard of. Most people know more about Mega Man X. When the thread tells you "It's like Mega Man X". What do you think the expectation is?

I don't think 30XX should change what game it should be, I just have zero interest in it and won't ever play it. I'm disappointed that it wasn't going to be the kind of game I expected it to be.

Your original comparison doesn't hold up at all - Halo is very specifically 1. Mega popular, and 2. Famous for bringing FPS to console at a level not really achieved before

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
20XX is baller and if you claim to like Megaman but won't give 20XX the time of day because of the word "roguelike"...

lol

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20XX is baller and if you claim to like Megaman but won't give 20XX the time of day because of the word "roguelike"...

lol

what does this even mean

you have to play 20XX otherwise... you're not a real Mega Man fan?

bruh I don't give a fuck about Metroidvania games at all but Castlevania is still one of my favorite game franchises

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
20XX is an indie game that sold well. Its pitch is literally "Mega Man but a roguelike" so "20XX sequel that's more Mega Man X" makes sense.

It's okay to go into a thread, find out you were mistaken about the nature of the game, and leave without posting. Not everything needs your public take. Going into a sequel announcement thread and complaining that you don't like one of their genres and that they're not getting rid of the game's unique selling point & just making a clone instead is annoying.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20XX is an indie game that sold well. Its pitch is literally "Mega Man but a roguelike" so "20XX sequel that's more Mega Man X" makes sense.

It's okay to go into a thread, find out you were mistaken about the nature of the game, and leave without posting. Not everything needs your public take. Going into a sequel announcement thread and complaining that you don't like one of their genres and that they're not getting rid of the game's unique selling point & just making a clone instead is annoying.

People should be allowed to express their disappointment. Seeing as the game isn't out, literally the only thing there is to discuss is the announcement of the game and the trailer. Maybe the thread title should be more descriptive.

OP
OP
Platy

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Rogue like added to the title =P

Now enjoy the awesome megaman like gameplay

And trust me people, procedually generated levels does not mean a random mess, the first one had some awesome generations, this one will have also.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What a dope looking game, glad I'm not having a personal crisis because its a roguelike

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Mega Man X and was interested, but roguelike kind of dampens it a bit. I don't hate roguelikes though, just depends how its handled.

OP
OP
Platy

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
People should be allowed to express their disappointment. Seeing as the game isn't out, literally the only thing there is to discuss is the announcement of the game and the trailer. Maybe the thread title should be more descriptive.

descriptive it is, typo aside xD

But if you look well into the trailer you will notice that it is not THAT random the generation process.... like the wall jumping moment needs a very specific set of enviroment to work and can only be traversed by walljumping so if the randomness didn't generated the other wall it would be impossible to cross, so you can see that it is more of a "rooms are level designed but the orders change" kind of roguelike

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not big on roguelikes, but 20XX was one of the better ones and the artstyle looks like a real upgrade. 20XX looked like a flash game.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Roguelike honestly isn't a great descriptor for these games, even though it's technically true.

If anyone's familiar with the Endless Attack modes from Mega Man 9 and 10, it's honestly more like that got fleshed out into a full game.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
descriptive it is, typo aside xD

But if you look well into the trailer you will notice that it is not THAT random the generation process.... like the wall jumping moment needs a very specific set of enviroment to work and can only be traversed by walljumping so if the randomness didn't generated the other wall it would be impossible to cross, so you can see that it is more of a "rooms are level designed but the orders change" kind of roguelike

For me it's less about the generation itself and more about the idea that the generation presumably doesn't stay the same between deaths?

my favorite part of mega man levels is that when I die, I can learn from that and reapply that experience in the exact same scenario, and if I die yet again, that's entirely my fault.

Also, I liked all the secrets and variable stages based on what order you killed each Maverick in. I don't know that you can effectively recreate that with a rogue like

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
what does this even mean

you have to play 20XX otherwise... you're not a real Mega Man fan?

bruh I don't give a fuck about Metroidvania games at all but Castlevania is still one of my favorite game franchises

I don't give a fuck about randomly generated roguestuff but I saw love Megaman, saw Megaman influence, played 20XX, and realized I'd have a been a ding dong for skipping it (and I almost did) because I don't like roguelikes. That's what I mean.

It's basically Megaman X with a hefty number of stage permutations and fun upgrades. If you don't want that, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't give a fuck about randomly generated roguestuff but I saw love Megaman, saw Megaman influence, played 20XX, and realized I'd have a been a ding dong for skipping it (and I almost did) because I don't like roguelikes. That's what I mean.

It's basically Megaman X with a hefty number of stage permutations and fun upgrades. If you don't want that, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

well, idk what to tell you other than I like Mega Man but idk that I really want to knowingly spend money on a game in a genre I normally don't like in the off-chance I might like it this time

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I'd like to thank everyone that is out because it's a roguelike for letting us know they're out because it's a roguelike.

It's just a staple of rouguelike/rougelite topics at this point. An incredibly annoying staple. One person has like 15 posts expressing their disappointment on it being a roguelite already.

Instead of learning specific stage layouts you learn the systems and it's possibilities so RNG isn't enough to beat you. I haven't played 20XX but will give this a shot.

OP
OP
Platy

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
For me it's less about the generation itself and more about the idea that the generation presumably doesn't stay the same between deaths?

my favorite part of mega man levels is that when I die, I can learn from that and reapply that experience in the exact same scenario, and if I die yet again, that's entirely my fault.

Also, I liked all the secrets and variable stages based on what order you killed each Maverick in. I don't know that you can effectively recreate that with a rogue like

It is the true "git gud" because just remembering stuff is not being trully good. You are only trully good when you react at everything the game trows at you

You can absolutely change how levels appear based on where you went first in a roguelike.... changing elemental states for example.
That being said I am not sure if this game will feature this

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a staple of rouguelike/rougelite topics at this point. An incredibly annoying staple. One person has like 15 posts expressing their disappointment on it being a roguelite already.

Instead of learning specific stage layouts you learn the systems and it's possibilities so RNG isn't enough to beat you. I haven't played 20XX but will give this a shot.

You can @ me, but most of my posts were pushing back against the idea that people shouldn't have been shocked to know it was a Rogue like

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Roguelite. Devs still don't know the proper definition of a roguelike.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
You can @ me, but most of my posts were pushing back against the idea that people shouldn't have been shocked to know it was a Rogue like

You could have done that in like one post though 😂. I'm not sure if the title was different at some point so I'll give you that but it definitely mentions it being a roguelike in the title now, so I feel a lot of people just hop in just to complain about it being one and hop out.

RicJFNas

Oct 28, 2017
I've played 20xx quite a bit with a friend, and we had a lot of fun, but oh boy did the game have a lot of bugs, can't count the amount of times my save got corrupted and had to use the cloud one to fix it. Also, don't make the play so darn hard!

Last edited:

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could have done that in like one post though 😂. I'm not sure if the title was different at some point so I'll give you that but it definitely mentions it being a roguelike in the title now, so I feel a lot of people just hop in just to complain about it being one and hop out.

There are some Rogue likes I enjoy, but yeah, the title was different. You'll notice most if not all of the "Aw man" reactions are in the first page. Plus, I gotta come back to the thread when people are responding to me and acting condescending!

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted those type of pixel art games to come bundled with a crt filter. Seems more they are making a homage to emulators than earlier videogames.

I've played 20xxx quite a bit with a friend, and we had a lot of fun, but oh boy did the game have a lot of bugs, can't count the amount of times my save got corrupted and had to use the cloud one to fix it. Also, don't make the play so darn hard!
I went to look 20xxx on google and I think that the results aren't what you were expecting.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
There are some Rogue likes I enjoy, but yeah, the title was different. You'll notice most if not all of the "Aw man" reactions are in the first page. Plus, I gotta come back to the thread when people are responding to me and acting condescending!

I understand, sorry for adding to your trips too :P.

Yea that art is definitely a step up from 20XX though, this background looks amazing:

30XX_Announce_9.gif

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I loved 20xx. I played that game for 80 hours. I thought the whole rougelike mixing with mega man x was stupid at first, but they make it work really well. I highly recommend that game. I can't wait for the sequel.

docannon

Oct 28, 2017
20xx has the most impressive procedural level generation system of any 2D platformer this side of spelunky. I think they do a better job with run-to-run variety than even Dead Cells, especially when it comes to their use of traps and other stage platforming-altering props (treadmills etc).

I understand everyone's hesitation with procgen levels, but I think everyone should try the original. It is truly outstanding.
But yes, the art is very ugly.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
I think the level design in 20XX is a great achievement. That they can keep things tight and exciting and be on an even increase in difficulty is amazing. Very hype for this.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
20XX was the only game I ever actually speedran. Like most procedurally generated games you get a feel for the building blocks and can learn from those to improve your flow. Each level gets progressively more challenging

On a macro level here's what 20XX took from mega man:
8 robot masters with weapons you can steal
4 themed levels with a boss at the end (2 bosses per tileset)
A wily castle-esque final two levels featuring unique bosses with powers you can't steal (sort of...the first has all the robot master powers)
Run and gun shooting/platforming

What it did differently:
Procedurally generates levels based off a series of building blocks for each tileset.
In level stores to buy upgrades or armor sets
Simultaneous Co-Op
In level bonus rooms to earn armor pieces

If 30XX improves all of the above I'm super in. 20XX kept me busy for a good long while.

I'd love each boss to have it's own themed world, split screen coop (the pull out camera wasn't the best). The ability to collect and switch between armor and weapons instead of choosing to use weapon x or weapon z. More incentive to grab the boss weapons over the stat boost at the end of level. The platforming options and obstacle destruction ability of some of them were super handy but at no point did I think I must grab a given weapon. I only barely picked up the boss weaknesses once I was running for time instead of just clearing the game.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm so in, my main criticism from the first was the aesthetics and this looks infinitely better.

Roguelike? Isn't like half of the appeal learning the levels in and out?
The most famous game in the genre is the one that randomized Zelda dungeons, so no that's not the appeal here. That's the cool thing about roguelikes, it makes games that used to be about memorization into games about thinking on your feet.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

70% people whinging about it being a roguelike, 20% people excited about the game, and 10% people still on the roguelite crusade.

Someone should write an algorithm to procedurally generate roguelike-related resetera threads at this point, they're certainly formulaic enough.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I honestly could recommend 20XX even if you aren't big on roguelite games. It feels great to play and the randomized levels are actually good.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Roguelikes aren't completely random chaos. Part of learning a roguelike to do better the next run is learning the patterns used when it generates, what you're generally going to experience when, and how to tackle what it throws at you. Just because the experience isn't static doesn't mean the experience isn't planned.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
you joke as if that hasn't already happened

Here's the thing: most people have probably never even heard of 20XX. I knew about it vaguely from the steam store but didn't know it was a roguelike. I avoided it because I didn't care for the art. People have a thirst for a good, retro style Mega Man game for a long while. So when something looks and sounds as great as this does, to be hit with "also it's a roguelike" is disappointing.

I feel a better comparison is how every AAA game nowadays has to be open world, just because that's been the trend.
As a huge Mega Man fan, I really enjoyed 20XX. Wasn't a disappointment by any stretch, and I'm looking forward to 30XX.
I'd like to thank everyone that is out because it's a roguelike for letting us know they're out because it's a roguelike.
For real.