• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

www.youtube.com

30XX Reveal Trailer

Jump, shoot, and slash your way through 30XX, the roguelike action platformer you can play with a friend!WISHLIST 30XX on Steam: http://store.steampowered.co...

Roguelike, Coop (local and online), Steam and "consoles"

Also damn what an art team

twitter.com

glauber kotaki on Twitter

“as the *AHEM* art director for this game, I must credit all artists working with me as well! legendary @vierbit doing backgrounds @CrowKid6 doing concept art @Bonus__Level did Nina's promo art @gabrielabirchal did background for the promo art”

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
"Roguelike Action"? Not sure I like. Not for a game like this. I guess 20XX was too? Never played it.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Let's hope it's not published by ratalaika this time.

Edit: just watched the trailer and this seems a lot more derivative than the first

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Hrm. It looks better than 20XX, but I'm still not feeling it. The pixel work looks good on its own, but the gameplay footage looks really messy, like it's scaling wrong or something.

I really wish they'd drop the whole Roguelike nonsense, though. I bounced off the last game hard because of it. Do a Roguelike side-mode if you want, but at least make a bespoke single-player campaign.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
dont know why people are hating on roguelike, i have 120 hours in the original and it wouldnt be nearly as many if it was just a single run experience

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Wow. They really took some liberties with Megan Man Zero, at least the Mega Man character has no helmet so he's pretty distinguishable. But damn I had to do a double take there with Zero.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I bought the first game a couple of years ago, but at this point I feel like I'm just completely finished with roguelikes. I'm not sure I'll ever be interested in playing one again. Still have plenty of interest in Metroidvanias or Mega Man styled games, but if "randomly generated levels" and "permadeath, but buy perks for your next play" are included in the feature list, I'm out.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Looks a bit better than 20XX which kind of had this awkward style to the visuals.

I bounced off 20XX faster than expected, but its pretty solid at what it is doing. I found a lot of the stage layouts had far too much focus on bottomless pits though. Felt like I was doing way more navigating tiny platforms and obstacle-laden platforms suspended over death than actual running and gunning. Like my deaths were mostly based on fall damage than fighting. It just wore me down and this was during the early game with crap default pool of gear.

I should give 20XX another go though, I'm sure its been updated heavilly over the last couple years since last I played.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to thank everyone that is out because it's a roguelike for letting us know they're out because it's a roguelike.

OP
OP
Platy

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Wow. They really took some liberties with Megan Man Zero, at least the Mega Man character has no helmet so he's pretty distinguishable. But damn I had to do a double take there with Zero.

VhzBKXn.gif

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This game being randomly generated is such a blow. Everything else about it looks great. :(

Oct 27, 2017
Wow they improved the art so much. 20XX was ugly as sin. I'm looking forward to this. 20XX was already more heavily leaning toward the X games though op. This is just a follow up to that.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to thank everyone that is out because it's a roguelike for letting us know they're out because it's a roguelike.
If it's worth anything: I'm definitely buying the game when I have the time to play it as I'm a sucker for coop games, and I played 20XX and that was a roguelike too. So this is not a surprise or anything. But I would have preferred it to have dev designed levels.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
I avoided 20XX because IMO I thought it was ugly.

However, this looks great, so I'm gonna have to check this out.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
This game looks really nice and I love co-op pretty much any where I can get it.

I am super impressed at how much the aesthetic is improved over 20XX, fucking outstanding work. Despite my not generally loving rogue-like stuff I understand how it can benefit replayability and generally allow for limited resources to be spent on other things, which matters a lot with small development teams.

Definitely looking forward to this. And again, great job to the hard working folks that are making the game.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
people are doing themselves a disservice if they're not trying at least the first game 20XX which to me had some of the most satisfying gameplay for a roguelike. The sequel adopting a 16 bit look is a nice suprise, I'll be there day one for the Switch release.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Contrary to the naysayers in here I'm always happy when I read that a game is a roguelike.
I love hugely replayable games!
If you end up liking the game you have a game that is almost infinitely replayable. What could be better than that?
Yes games with randomized levels can have bad level design, but so can games with handmade levels.

Spelunky, Enter the Gungeon, Binding of Isaac, some of my favorite games of all time and I can play them forever since they are roguelikes with randomized levels!
I guess it helps that I'm not the type of player who just want to run through a game once and then move on.
If I like a game why would I want it to end? Imagine if you could play "insert your favorite game here" forever?

Looking forward to giving 30XX a go, I like the new artstyle as the original was a little too flash looking for my tastes. Still enjoyed it though. And i loved the msuic! Glad to hear it sounds like the sequel will have a great soundtrack too based on the trailer.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine entering a Halo thread and going "an FPS AGAIN?"

you joke as if that hasn't already happened

Here's the thing: most people have probably never even heard of 20XX. I knew about it vaguely from the steam store but didn't know it was a roguelike. I avoided it because I didn't care for the art. People have a thirst for a good, retro style Mega Man game for a long while. So when something looks and sounds as great as this does, to be hit with "also it's a roguelike" is disappointing.

I feel a better comparison is how every AAA game nowadays has to be open world, just because that's been the trend.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Is roguelike synonymous for randomly generated or something like that? I hate that shit, it was the reason I dropped Dead Cells hard, I'd rather learn levels and become familiar with the layout instead of the random BS.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a roguelike game should be expected when clicking on a thread about a sequel to a roguelike game

I'm willing to bet a good amount of people in this thread had never heard about 20XX or knew it was a Rogue-like. If "Rogue-Like" was in the title, problem solved. But it's not.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
First time hearing of this game and first time hearing roguelike. Thats a big turnoff for me. Will maybe try out a demo if there is one and see.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Megaman X BUT rougelike, yikes. It's probably the best but worse thing for me, I love both but NEVER combined.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is roguelike synonymous for randomly generated or something like that? I hate that shit, it was the reason I dropped Dead Cells hard, I'd rather learn levels and become familiar with the layout instead of the random BS.

Random/Procedurally generated + Permadeath mechanics.

Notable examples include Slay the Spire, Spelunky, and FTL: Faster Than Light

(the last one is more Oregon Trail than Rogue, though. I'll die on that hill forever.)

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine entering a Halo thread and going "an FPS AGAIN?"
I read Megaman X, looked at the video, game looked nice, and knowing what we all know about megaman, people that don't know anything about this game don't know it's a roguelike. So yeah, it's pretty normal to be disappointed to see it's one, as I am, if you're not into that kind of things, since the other stuff looks really nice.