• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
4g0b0f.jpg

Welcome to a thread of bargaining and despair.

Here you may find legitimate users who work with video effects at high resolutions. Someone out there at Amazon surely would like to render and scrub Homelander's eyebeams 30% faster. Maybe that effects editor can finally have dinner with the family at 8:15 PM instead of 9:30 PM. That mac and cheese was getting cold.

There are some users that think that 24 GB of VRAM will matter in games before 2025, and that someone in the market to pay $1,500 or more for a 3090 will definitely also be keeping that card through multiple GPU generations before games finally justify that amount of VRAM. And of course, anything less than 11 GB VRAM is just unacceptable. It's 1 less than the 2080 Ti. That's just math - any number minus 1 is just objectively worse.

And some users just want to pay about an $800 premium for 10-20% gains over the paltry 3080. These users are prepared to pay the price of two 3080s for the power of one 3080 that went on and off to the gym for 90 days but definitely made sure to never skip the protein shakes.

But the rest of us - we're here because of dumb hope. We have crawled the seven stages of grief as if the chart were Candy Land, all just to get to this point. We're here because buying a 3080 over the last week has been like grabbing at smoke. And in our endeavor defy the scalpers that ruined everything, we will show the world just what we think of overpaying that much for that video card by trying to overpay for another video card. But at least no scalper will never see the cash, and that each of us will have a fat honking beast of a card within our case. The bragging rights and pictures have value - and perhaps if we squint or drink, we can convince ourselves that that value is approximately $800. We have stepped beyond the realm of reason. We are prospective 3090 buyers because we will take what we can get like the garbage-eating consumers that we are. What really is a credit card, after all? Only something to worry about later. We don't need DoorDash for a few months. We don't need that new oven. We don't need those college textbooks - we'll find someone and just ask to scan their pages or something. Whatever - worry about all that later. It's time to spend about $1,500.

Of course, the cosmic irony is that - after all this self justification - we will all soon find that buying a 3090 is even more difficult than buying a 3080. The stock is undoubtedly smaller compared to the 3080, and the demand might as well be just as ravenous. The bots will not care nor hesitate.

Only pain awaits you here, but you have gotten this far and you're going to try anyway. If you do happen to get this card, then at least post some pictures so that some of us can live through you.

------

The Geforce RTX 3090 officially releases at 2:00 PM BST / 6:00 AM PT / 9:00 AM ET on Thursday September 24th. The Founders Edition (FE) of the 3090 retails for $1,499.00.

Before buying the 3090, first verify that you can power and fit the 3090. It is a big, hungry card. AIB cards will differ in terms of size, but here's what you need for the 3090 FE:

qz0pBKR.png

------

Some UK Retailers carrying the 3090:
Some US Retailers carrying the 3090:
Era folk can join us in the PC Hardware Watch Era Discord for anguish, up-to-date links, and campfire songs about dreams that will only ever be dreams.

Good luck you dumbfucks.

Last edited:

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the thread...ready for the pain and suffering.

I had to check this morning whether a 3090 would fit since I just installed a M2SSD with a obnoxiously large heatsink on it...thankfully I'm good.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll try to go for this as a way of scalping without paying scalpers. It'll end up in tears just like my attempts for the 3080.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Good luck to everyone going after one of these lead lined fridges. I hope to see your PCs on the 3D Mark hall of fame in the near future.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know, between the clusterfuck that was 3080's launch and how the 3090 will probably be just as bad, maybe I'll just get an Alienware or something. I'll be paying more of less the same scalper prices regardless it seems...

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
This card costs more than I paid for my entire rig two years ago. Wonder how the new AMD cards stack up against this, that is in price to performance ratio

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Staying up all night again like last week, but i'm hoping the websites will at least be stable this time around. But i'm not counting on it. Wishing all of us the best of luck!

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I expect to see plenty of DSRed images in the ultrawide screenshot threads.

Evga's plan tomorrow:

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Since we built GeForce RTX 3090 for a unique group of users, like the TITAN RTX before it, we want to apologize upfront that this will be in limited supply on launch day. We know this is frustrating, and we're working with our partners to increase the supply in the weeks to come.

www.nvidia.com

GeForce RTX 3090, A “BFGPU” For Creators, Researchers and Extreme Gamers, Launches Thursday

Enables extreme gamers to play at 8K, and creators to explore a new world of cinematics.

Welp.

Nov 1, 2017
I've had the 3090 for a few days due to blind luck and I think it's great, but unless you feel extreme top-of-the-line FOMO I would strongly recommend just getting a 3080 and saving yourself nearly a thousand dollars.

Last edited:

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
I assume the stock for these will be significantly lower than the 3080 so I wish you all luck.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon is like the only site that doesn't die right before the cards go on sale. Everything else is held by duck tape.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon is like the only site that doesn't die right before the cards go on sale. Everything else is held by duck tape.
Doesn't matter when they randomly cancel your order later on due to "technical problems" lol

I'm also in for one final round of disappointment (Zen 3 notwithstanding)

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have no system yet, I will be building it around the graphics card and Zen 3. I'll try to grab this... but I'm sure I'll miss it, lol

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of scalper prices, I wonder what they'll be for this one? $3K?

Or hey, it's an 8K card... let's go for eight grand!

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on high alert for any availability. Once it hits midnight I'm going to just start some auto refreshers on a couple of pages and see if I hit anything.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3080 or 3090 I don't care I just want a new card before November. I feel I have a slightly better chance of getting a 3090 by then.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
how is this thing so much larger if the gains aren't even typically 20%+?

As i understood it, it has more raw grunt, but its gaming performance is hindered by bandwidth bottlenecks (that should not matter that much in modeling software, fluid dynamics solving or video rendering). Also, the power draw was limited in testing, so we don't know yet the full potential compared to the OC 3080 that were allowed to draw far more than the reference card.

I have not secured a 3080... so...

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
250 3090 FEs allocated to Germany and Austria going by the Nvidia Store API, strap in bois