• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JayVegas702

Oct 27, 2017
I'd use it for 1 Year of Game Pass Ultimate and then just put the rest toward: Final Fantasy 7 Remake, CyberPunk 2047, and Animal Crossing

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The company isn't going to suddenly stop existing, even if they do go under you'll have time to spend your credits as they liquidate inventory.

People act like they're suddenly gonna wake up some day and find all the gamestops chained up or on fire...it doesn't work that way.

It's not uncommon that Retailers stop accepting gift cards and store credit as payment if they are liquidating

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just spend it. Get something(s) fun and wild you wouldn't otherwise get that you'll enjoy

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I think GameStop will hold out through til next year with a nice bump from the new consoles this holiday. I think you're fine.

And if they do start seriously clearancing everything out, then your credit has more buying power.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't wait until it announced they gonna die, everyone will be cashing in their shit then and you'll have slim pickings to spend it on. If it like GAME in UK when they almost died, they'll stop selling PSN, Steam etc credit when it happens.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The company isn't going to suddenly stop existing, even if they do go under you'll have time to spend your credits as they liquidate inventory.

People act like they're suddenly gonna wake up some day and find all the gamestops chained up or on fire...it doesn't work that way.

Every GS thread goes into that direction, sadly :/ Whether people still want them around or not, it's as if they magically are disappearing in a single day.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
There will be "writing on the wall" for when trade credit is no longer going to be valid. you have at least a year and certainly likely more to figure out what to do with it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
What are you waiting for, exactly? Spend it. If you planned on using it for upcoming games, pre-order them using it and hope GameStop doesn't go bust (which they likely won't for a few months/a year, at least) before they're out.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
It's not uncommon that Retailers stop accepting gift cards and store credit as payment if they are liquidating
I remember the liquidation of Circuit City, Comp USA, Blockbuster and several other major retailers, all of them accepted gift-cards and store credit right up until the end.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Gamestop's gonna be around for at least another 24 months. They're going to want in on that next gen launch.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I would personally use that credit to pre order a next gen console, and sell it on release for a higher price. Then buy my own with the profit.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
C'mon guys, Gamestop isn't going anywhere right now, not with the next-gen coming up in a few months.

Lol. Gamestop is already bringing down whole regional branches (Nordics) and it's just matter of days too, store closures are starting this Sunday and continuing next. (Closing as soon as they can end rental agreements)
They aren't seeing next gen as savior but as a killer.

Other countries are most likely just matter of time.

Probably depends on local law, might even be mandatory to do so (as is here).

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all crazy to think that they won't at least push through the launch of the new generation. It's a big money-maker for them, even if used games sales are way more profitable.

C'mon guys, Gamestop isn't going anywhere right now, not with the next-gen coming up in a few months.

idk, two in my city have closed in the last month or two (out of probably 10). it kind of sucks because apparently they're liqudating stuff on the store closings (stuff like a switch lite for $140, 1/2 off used games, etc), and everytime i get there its just funk pops or shelving.

if youre in a smaller town with only one or two nearby id cash out ASAP even if the franchise is still around when new consoles drop. atleast purchase amazon gift cards or something (if thats an option w/ credit).

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
You can buy a console now and trade it in when next gen arrives. Otherwise, see if you can put together a shopping cart worth the $300, early shop presents for your little cousins and stuff like that.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Lol. Gamestop is already bringing down whole regional branches (Nordics) and it's just matter of days too, store closures are starting this Sunday and continuing next. (Closing as soon as they can end rental agreements)
They aren't seeing next gen as savior but as a killer.

Other countries are most likely just matter of time.

They did have over 5,000 locations, which is A LOT when you consider how many fewer stores other B&M locations have. Even having over 1,000 locations is quite a bit for many companies. Shuttering one region is not shocking if they just weren't making any money there.

MasterLeePhD

Oct 28, 2017
I would buy £300 in xbox money, add it to my account and buy the new Xbox from the Ms store using that credit.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
LOL the hyperbole here sometimes...GameStop is fine. They own alot of property and will see a big infusion of business this fall, just like every console cycle.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
They did have over 5,000 locations, which is A LOT when you consider how many fewer stores other B&M locations have. Even having over 1,000 locations is quite a bit for many companies. Shuttering one region is not shocking if they just weren't making any money there.

But more important is why gamestop is going from being profitable to not being...

OP
OP
mindsale

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
You can buy a console now and trade it in when next gen arrives. Otherwise, see if you can put together a shopping cart worth the $300, early shop presents for your little cousins and stuff like that.

I was considering buying a console or something, as those will likely hold their value better than some random software, but I think I'm going to hold out for next gen hardware and hope they don't shutter near me.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
But more important is why gamestop is going from being profitable to not being...

There are many problems yes, but paying leases for a clear abundance of stores (some in very expensive locations) does not help the company trying to save money.

To put into perspective, stores like Best Buy, although larger, have LESS than 1,000 locations. When you have 3 Gamestops in a few block radius, that doesn't really help. I've seen tons of Subways in my area close up too, and even though they are individually franchised, there was just way too many to compete with each other.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I see these dire Gamestop forecasts and I have concern for my own small stakes in the chain.

Should I consolidate my credit and drop it on something soon to avoid any losses? How quickly can a chain close? Will they have new product and releases stocked? Can my store credit be forfeit at any time? Am I safe with reservations through, say, March's big releases? June's? Will the company see the launch of the next gen in November?

Are you also playing chicken with store credit, or can the chain turn itself around?

Will the top brass get golden parachutes when the time comes?

Will you miss an ecosystem without that trade-in option, or has the chain reaped what it's sewn with anti-consumer practices and aggressive takeovers?

I'd appreciate input from anyone with a lick of business acumen or knowledge of corporate bankruptcy / insolvency.
I think they'll be around in the fall but if you want to you can use it for Microsoft credit and use Microsoft credit to buy the XSX directly from Microsoft, i know sony has a store for consoles as well but i dont know if they accept psn credit, you could also just use it to buy psn or xbox credit for games. They used to let you buy amazon gift cards with store credit but not anymore.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
It would be great to use it for new consoles but they might be gone by then. You might want to use it ASAP.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Use it. If they're downplaying their situation and are actually running low on cash, you don't want to get caught out if they put a freeze on store credit.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

Don't know if this will work but:

Look up GME on google finance and go to financial data. They've had double digit declines in revenue, etc. Their cash on hand went from 1.6 billion in february 2019 to 290 million in november 2019. They are BURNING through cash because they can't produce a bottom line net income. On the route they're on now they could be in bankruptcy by the end of the year. It's coming, just depends on when.

Balance shee doesn't look any better when looking at quarterly information.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I do think Gamestop will be around until 2021 at the earliest, but I also wouldn't keep a ton of store credit around tied up in a preorder or gift cards. I had about 150 at the beginning of this year and used it to buy digital cards for psn xbox and eshop. I still have 60 in rewards I need to get rid of because that's what will get nuked first I'm sure.

I was going to use it towards PS5 or XSX but my concern about preordering is on the off chance they can't get stock or close the local store. It would be a pain dealing with it at that point.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I walked into a Gamestop the other day for the hell of it and it seems they make a lot of their money on collectables now. I don't know how much longer they'll be around.

Still smells like 12yr old jock and AXE Body Spray tho. Gross.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Gamestop is years from closing its doors. Just look at Toysrus.

Before it shuts down, some private company will offer a buyout, then milk it for all it's worth by burning off its inventory. Gift cards should be fine before the buyout happens.

Last edited:

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
its been awhile, but if you have trade in credit, try to switch it to GS gift cards then get amazon GC if you can, some employees wont let you but some wont give a shit. if i remember correctly, you cant get GC besides GS with store credit but its been like years since Ive done it

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Put it towards the next gen console you want to get. I don't think you need to spend it right this second. But, GameStop won't make it a few more years.

Jun 7, 2018
Weighing up the pros and cons, I think most people would probably agree that the sensible option is 303 copies of The Black Eyed Peas Experience.
WWhY6zx.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I have quite a bit of GameStop credit sitting around as well and I'm definitely waiting until next gen launches before using it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it'd be a tough bullet to bite with next gen literally months away but i wouldn't take the risk and hold onto it