• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I actually found the way they have the boss change his mind about the Christmas bonus (shamed by his wife when she finds out what a cheapass he is) fairly realistic, that probably would be the only way to get through to someone like that.

Clark is a great character, a loving father who tries way too hard. I'm not a father but he seems very relatable to me.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I wanna add that one of the most hilarious and subtle jokes in the film is at dinner and Clark is hyping the kids up about Santa and Eddie is absolutely floored by what he's saying and spits out "you serious Clark?"

It's an ongoing year round quote for me. And then it's followed up with the dog yacking up a bone.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember watching this movie with my family every year growing up. As I got older, there was a time where I thought I was too cool for this movie. As a fully realized adult, I really truly love this movie.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The family is supposed to live near Chicago, but they go get their own Christmas tree somewhere that has mountains. I like to believe that Clark was so hardcore that he drove to Colorado or something and back just for the tree.

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
Clark is still a much better person than Eddie, at least. Don't forget that in the first Vacation movie, Eddie is molesting his teenage daughter.

I know I saw the first vacation movie at least once as a kid and I barely remember it. Really have been meaning to rewatch it for years. Probably hasn't aged well lmao.

But yeah I love the Christmas movie and see it just about every year. Guess it says something that most of the humor aged well, but I cringe when I get to the mall part.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know I saw the first vacation movie at least once as a kid and I barely remember it. Really have been meaning to rewatch it for years. Probably hasn't aged well lmao.

But yeah I love the Christmas movie and see it just about every year. Guess it says something that most of the humor aged well, but I cringe when I get to the mall part.
t6NWefk.gif

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Love this movie, watch it at least once around every Christmas.

It's a toss up for me between the original Vacation and Christmas Vacation being my favorite. Vegas Vacation comes in third for me.

"If that cat had nine lives it sure used 'em all."

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
source.gif

this part where he can't decide which side to put his arm through the ladder is one of the funniest bits of physical comedy of all time
it fucking destroys me every time i watch it

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The swat team scene is literally all I think about when I hear "Here Comes Santa Claus".

Kwhit10

Oct 27, 2017
Every holiday or family gathering someone will suggest saying grace just so like 7 people can yell out "Grace died 30 years ago".

It's still behind Home Alone to me personally.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is what the mindset has become for some on Era - fuck anyone who can afford anything. Can't even enjoy a movie because the main character wants to buy a pool, which is about as normal as it gets.

It's fucking weird, and it creeps into threads seemingly at random. I totally understand the whole "Fuck the 1%" mentality, but as you said, we're at the point where some folks on Era seem to hate the middle class too. Like, anyone with even a little bit of expendable income deserves to die in a fire.

I'm poor as fuck, living on state-funded health care and I have zero hatred or I'll-feelings towards folks earning a good living. Like hey, good for you. Hopefully I'll get to that point one day myself.

In the meantime I ain't gonna waste time getting angry at the 1st world problems of Clark Fucking Griswald XD

Dec 20, 2017
This is what the mindset has become for some on Era - fuck anyone who can afford anything. Can't even enjoy a movie because the main character wants to buy a pool, which is about as normal as it gets.

The ignore button helps a lot with this. There really isn't that many people like this, it's just the same people making every topic about their little mission.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just had my yearly watch of the movie. So good. I think i have been watching it every year sround christmas since i was 8-10 years..so i have been watching it every year for at least 20 years.

Hmm, I'll have to give Vegas vacation another look. I remember not liking it.
I don't think it's that bad. It's an alright return on a "dead" series at the time compared to the one we got a couple of years ago and other revivals we have gotten this decade. It's not as hillarious or genuine as the first three, or at least 1 and 3, but it's fine.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I think the biggest issue I have with the movie is the one people are mentioning, that Clark is kind of a sexist douchebag in a couple prominent scenes in the first third of the movie. Once they move past that it's good.

My favorite part is that like all good Christmas movies the real villain is increasing economic precarity and the hoarders of wealth creating that condition.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The first and Vegas just don't get replayed as much on cable TV. Every year like clockwork, Christmas Vacation is going to get airtime this time of year.
When you make a good Christmas movie or show, it lives on forever.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
If you live in a mansion and have enough spare cash to consider building a pool you are rich.

You consider his house a mansion? What in the world. It's a normal suburbia house.

Only on era can we have a thread about a movie where a dude breaks the sound barrier on a sled with a proprietary cereal sealant devolve into bickering about the right and middle class. You all are a bunch of nutbags and need a more productive outlet for this feux rage

Last edited:

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Just watched this again yesterday, and it's still the best