• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It was a different time. You could write a story about a home owner and it would come off as believable

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
It's about a rich cunt building a swimming pool in the garden of his massive house with his Christmas bonus.

Doesn't seem very relatable to me.

I feel like you're kinda trolling but oh well here goes.

It's a suburban house in the 80s so I doubt it's much more than 2,500 sq ft which is fairly average for new homes these days. Kinda big for the era but it's a little weird to have someone in 2019 think that it's some kind of mansion.

Those pools they used to put in back in the 80s also often had that cheap vinyl lining that I don't think is very popular anymore. Also cost of construction and installation has gone up quite a bit since the 80s and it kinda feels like it has outstripped inflation.

What doesn't feel relatable is getting on board with the idea of installing an in ground pool in Chicago. Doesn't feel like you'd get much use out of it there as opposed to somewhere in the South.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I think I've watched this every year with my Mum for the last decade at least. My mum passed in January this year so I'm not sure if I can bring myself to watch it, but it's a great movie.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
It's our tradition to watch this every year. It's the perfect Christmas movie, as has been said multiple times.

PatriotSaro

Banned
Nov 8, 2019
You are though.

If you earn 100k and don't consider yourself rich, you're a cunt.

I used to think this to be honest. But now I'm married and our combined income is 110k. Trust me dude, it's not a lot. Certainly not enough to start a family in SoCal. We're still very much pay check to Pay check. The difference is were able to save a little.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
You are though.

That is like saying that this is the better film.

Christmas_Vacation_2_cover.jpeg

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
It's my favourite Christmas movie and one of my favourite comedies in general. Funny thing about it is that Clark's family aren't necessarily "bad" people, things just keep going wrong for him. It's relatable in how all he's trying to do is make everybody happy for the holidays and every plan blows up in his face.

I also feel like while the pool is a catalyst for the ending, most of the movie isn't really about that.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
If he were rich, he wouldn't have needed a Christmas bonus to build the pool.
This is what I was about to say. And also a lot of people can relate to getting screwed out of money that they felt they earned. Christmas Vacation is my all time fav Christmas movie, it's hard to see it getting topped.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
As a kid it bothered me that the children were replaced in every movie, it felt insulting to me; like they didn't matter. As an adult I realize it's because they didn't matter.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i never thought about it that way... but yeah.

i only spend like 2-5 hrs with family on holidays and i'm nowhere near as miserable in that time. but it is a simulacrum of that experience

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
"Can I refill your eggnog? Get you something to eat? Drive you out in the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

Can't believe we're all sleeping on Christmas Vacation II: Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure though!

My favourite line in the movie haha. As many stories as I've heard about Chevy Chase being a massive douche, as a comedic actor he's really good with how he delivers certain lines and of course the physical comedy.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They spent like a month with 4 extra people in the house. That's dumb and Beverly tells Clark it's dumb. Clark is just dumb because he desires some impossible family ideal far too much.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
is this another version of "if you make 100k your rich"

i cant seem to find what size the house it, but its not a mansion.

that said in my searching i found that the houes was used in: American Beauty, ER, Moonlight, Pleasantville, Small Soldiers and lethal weapon.
And Clarks boss' house is the mansion from Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

100k is more then 5 times what I make. People on era are well off enough that they dont have to worry about food thats for sure.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
It's about a rich cunt building a swimming pool in the garden of his massive house with his Christmas bonus.

Doesn't seem very relatable to me.

have you even seen the movie? He puts a down payment on a pool that he can't cover without his bonus. This means he has no savings and he's overspending. It's a portrait of the 90s middle-income American who overspends to boost their status. An obvious extensions of the simple man who insists on having the most elaborate light display on his block to the point it won't work, the largest tree that won't fit in his living room, providing a christmas for his cousin-in-law's family when he can't provide one for his own, hosting far more people for the holidays than he can manage, etc, etc. The Griswalds aren't poor, but they also clearly can't afford the things Clark thinks they deserve. And based on what we know of them, they owe a lot on that house

The film even paints the Griswald family in the middle of the economic spectrum, by comparing them to both Clark's boss at the top, and Eddie at the bottom. All three are extreme exaggerations, as one would expect from a comedy film, but if you'd rather relate to cousin Eddie and family, feel free! We get plenty of insight into Christmas for the full economic spectrum in the film

As for the size of their house, it's pretty typical for a middle-income midwestern house for white boomers in the 90s. Do they even have a guest bedroom? As I recall, the grandparents take the kids' rooms, and the kids end up on a hide-a-bed or something together. So, yeah, you can find the house "unrelatable", but just remember to find the 4 bedroom Simpson's, Bob's Burgers (on a failing restaurants income?), and pretty much every other house in a show with three kids to be even more "unrelatable". I grew up in Chicago suburbs around that time and I knew some very broke families with houses that size (and larger). And some of them had pools...

Last edited:

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Its a tale on the dangers of nostalgia as Ckarks attempts to recreate the family Christmases of his youth nearly drive him mad.

Its a great movie

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Its a tale on the dangers of nostalgia as Ckarks attempts to recreate the family Christmases of his youth nearly drive him mad.

Its a great movie
They spent like a month with 4 extra people in the house. That's dumb and Beverly tells Clark it's dumb. Clark is just dumb because he desires some impossible family ideal far too much.

Exactly. The scene when Clark is stuck in the attic sets the stage for his mindset. The viewer see Clark watching all these home movies, and they too get nostalgic, but then everything comes (literally) crashing down and you're right back to the jokes. But the point is that Clark is imagining this fairy-tale Christmas like the movies show, but he is losing the context that the movies are just a snapshot of life, that they don't capture all the other shit that took place before and after the reel began to turn. Clark, like any typical American, has his head stuck in the clouds and has lost touch with the reality of the holidays and family.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. The scene when Clark is stuck in the attic sets the stage for his mindset. The viewer see Clark watching all these home movies, and they too get nostalgic, but then everything comes (literally) crashing down and you're right back to the jokes. But the point is that Clark is imagining this fairy-tale Christmas like the movies show, but he is losing the context that the movies are just a snapshot of life, that they don't capture all the other shit that took place before and after the reel began to turn. Clark, like any typical American, has his head stuck in the clouds and has lost touch with the reality of the holidays and family.

That dangerous desire for some perfect family event runs through all the vacation movies, it's the main theme. But I'm not sure it's entirely nostalgia. He tells his dad that their Christmases growing up were always disasters. He seems to be self aware of that fact. So it's almost like he's trying to avoid the horrible holidays he experienced growing up. But then you have the attic scene which does show unquestionable nostalgia even when the video shows basically very child unfriendly events. Basically just an adult party where he's being mostly ignored.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are though.

Maybe if your single and living in the Midwest. Add a few extra mouths to feed and provide for and LOL no. Doubly so if your living in the west or east coast where cost of living is expensive.

There is this space between dirt poor and rich called the middle class. It's eroding away but it does exist.

So no, 100k is not rich.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
This is what the mindset has become for some on Era - fuck anyone who can afford anything. Can't even enjoy a movie because the main character wants to buy a pool, which is about as normal as it gets.

I mean, I'm sympathetic to a degree, cause life here in this country is so shit for the vast majority of people, that even decent living standards and the ability to retire at 65 look like luxury these days. But some members here need to realize that this isn't the fault of ordinary people who luck out and manage to have a decent life. It all goes back to the fucking top 1% of earners and the megacorps that they run, which control our economy, our politics, and our entire damn existence.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that there's a big difference in what white middle class boomers could afford back in the 80s vs what young people can afford today.

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
I mean, I'm sympathetic to a degree, cause life here in this country is so shit for the vast majority of people, that even decent living standards and the ability to retire at 65 look like luxury these days. But some members here need to realize that this isn't the fault of ordinary people who luck out and manage to have a decent life. It all goes back to the fucking top 1% of earners and the megacorps that they run, which control our economy, our politics, and our entire damn existence.

"If you make 100k you're a rich cunt" is exactly the type of bullshit the people at the top want us to think too, to them both people (the 100k person and the 15-25k person) are exactly the same, dirt poor. Having us fight each other out here while they erode away at our society.

People need to get that garbage mentality out of here, it's like naw man, the only cunt here is you for holding that absurd opinion.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I always loved how Clark is a bonafied genius in the movie, based on his job alone. Seems to get overlooked.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
"If you make 100k you're a rich cunt" is exactly the type of bullshit the people at the top want us to think too, to them both people (the 100k person and the 15-25k person) are exactly the same, dirt poor. Having us fight each other out here while they erode away at our society.

People need to get that garbage mentality out of here, it's like naw man, the only cunt here is you for holding that absurd opinion.

That's literally one of the arguments the right-wing constantly uses against Bernie. "Dude has a million dollars in assets! Don't listen to him! He's a hypocrite for telling the ultra-rich they need to pay more in taxes!!" Except that he only has a million dollars because of a long, fruitful political career that allowed him to make bank off his book. And he was dirt poor for much of his early life. But nope, guess he's a cunt too according to the standards some people here are laying out, cause he separates himself from the 1% of earners that are so terrified of him and the progressive policies he's pushing in his presidential campaign.