• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Spike Lee is finally getting his first Best Director nomination for BlacKKKlansman. He was nominated for best screenplay (Do the Right Thing) and best documentary (4 Little Girls), but this is his first best picture/director nod.

This is less about Kim Basinger (though I laughed at her little cheer at the end... I mean... sure), but more that it's been apparent how Spike Lee had been ignored by the Academy for nearly 30 years.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Do the Right Thing is an absolute masterpiece. When I heard that Black KKKlansman was his first Oscar nom as a director, it was both totally unsurprising and baffling at the same time.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
This was the first directing AND Best Picture nom for Spike Lee? What the shit?

What a bunch of racist bullshit. At least he got noms for BKKK, well deserved.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
The Academy can overlook great things some times. Still can't believe that Tron Legacy's score wasn't even nominated.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was the first directing AND Best Picture nom for Spike Lee? What the shit?

What a bunch of racist bullshit. At least he got noms for BKKK, well deserved.

Yep and it's the reason to why the #OscarSoWhite hashtag came to be, as it has failed to move on with the time and acting as an award ceremony for white folks.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I pay zero attention to the Oscars and this has reassured me. Mr Lee has so many incredible films and such a unique, personal way of storytelling, it´s insane he hadn´t been previously acknowledged.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Supposedly she has agoraphobia too so she must have really wanted to get that out there.

I was blown the hell away that this is his first Best Director nod. Like, not even for Malcolm X or She's Gotta Have It?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed BlacKKKlansman, watched it twice. But i don't think it was in my top 3 for 2018.

...but of all the nominees I think I hope it wins. Most of the nominees this year are just terrible.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oZcQ3dP.gif

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea this was the first time Spike got an Oscar nom, thats crazy. Do the Right Thing is one of my favorite films and it's still pretty relevant today.

Hope he wins something for Blackkklansmen, it made my top 10 for 2018 at least.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just assumed Malcom X wrecked everything that year and he had like a basket ball teams of Oscars.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
do the right thing is a towering piece of american cinema

it's also my favourite film of all time

ps. i actually have a feeling spike might win for blackkklansman

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
The year Driving Miss Daisy won best picture.

I hope he gets best director and picture. It will be his Departed.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I hate the academy for the kinds of films they nominate now but I think Black Kkklansman is a great movie.

I don't know if he will win but he deserves something.

With that said, a lot of his films are very divisive among critics. He definitely doesn't follow convention.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
How do i know that Do The Right Thing is a timeless masterpiece? Picture a white 9 years old boy at his home in Brazil, completely unaware of all the social/racial conflicts in the United States of America casualy watching this movie in a late night session on free-to-air TV and being completely blown away by what he has seen.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lee was probably snubbed for Do the Right Thing, but it isn't all that shocking that he didn't get nominated for any others. He has a very... uneven filmography. A few good movies, and a lot of mediocre and crap ones. I think this is his year though. The rest of the field is crap, and Balckkklansman was excellent.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Lee was probably snubbed for Do the Right Thing, but it isn't all that shocking that he didn't get nominated for any others. He has a very... uneven filmography. A few good movies, and a lot of mediocre and crap ones. I think this is his year though. The rest of the field is crap, and Balckkklansman was excellent.

Malcolm X should have gotten nominated though. His filmography does get a bit meh after that, to the point where it gets....not good after Inside Man, but he's been legit snubbed 2-3 times in his career.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
I love Spike and it's great to have it nominated, but BlacKKKlansman is not in the same league as Do the Right Thing. At least it was better than the horrid Chi-Raq.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is less about Kim Basinger (though I laughed at her little cheer at the end... I mean... sure), but more that it's been apparent how Spike Lee had been ignored by the Academy for nearly 30 years.

Well he never made anything as good as Do The Right Thing ever again.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BlacKkKlansman is my 2nd favorite film of the year and I've admired Spike Lee since the day I saw Do The Right Thing. That joint was ahead of its time. I'm not even American and I consider that he tells specific tales of race in a very universal way that can resonate with other cultures. Motherfucker better win some Oscars this year!

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I haven't seen BKKK yet, but DtRT is by far and away his best movie, even over Malcolm X which I view as being 'worthy' more than great filmmaking IYSWIM.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Inside Man, 25th Hour and Malcolm X are in the same league. Blackkklansman is nowhere near Spike's peak.

I don't know man. Do The Right Thing is the only movie I've ever seen that I consider to be perfect in terms of narrative and pacing. On top of all of the other great things about it. It's a masterpiece. I don't think anything else he's done has come close.