• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Seinfeld
Community
30 Rock
Newsradio

GOAT tier, all four of them, ranking changes depending on my mood that day.

With regards to 30 Rock, Arrested Development still wins out for that sort of social/political meta satire format that was in vogue at that time, plus it did it earlier.

Last edited:

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't consider Good Place comedy to be honest, despite being hilarious.

Is The Good Place even a sitcom though? Is it situational? Is it comedy?

In the schurverse, I love Parks & Rec and Brooklyn 99, but the other two... Meh.
I mean it is 100% a comedy, just has the ethical notes blended in, and is extremely situational. like it fits sitcom to the definition:
"a television series that involves a continuing cast of characters in a succession of comedic circumstances"

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean it is 100% a comedy, just has the ethical notes blended in, and is extremely situational. like it fits sitcom to the definition:
"a television series that involves a continuing cast of characters in a succession of comedic circumstances"
I mean, its got jokes - but I would posit that it uses Comedy as a trojan horse. Its got far more important things to say than the office, 30 rock, or Fraiser.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
I just had this thought, as I have been rewatching it with my fiancé.

Consistently hilarious, and incredibly rewatchable.

I'll put it below Seinfeld and Parks on my NBC rankings. I used to really love Community, but I don't think it holds up that well. The Office is fine enough too.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
30 Rock is a good show, sure, but I think you are forgetting that NBC has a very long and very storied history of sitcoms.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
All the people in this thread too cool to list Friends. I wanna see all y'all's Netflix watch history, at least some of you are lying :P

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
But what about the even weaker 5th and 6th seasons? And the fact that it took most of season one to find it's voice and get good?

Community at its peak is great TV, but it has exactly two seasons of quality television. The entire back half of the series ranges from mediocre to awful

I hate to say it, but even the episodes I remembered really loving have mostly aged like dirt. The show prided itself on quirky outsider energy that it mostly didn't earn, and is unintentionally cringe a lot of the time.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I loved it the first time I watched it, but then a friend pointed out that the show has very few jokes and substitutes references for comedy, and it really flipped me on it lol. I rewatched it this year and it really didn't hold up.

To say nothing of the trainwreck the show becomes later. A lot of shows went on for too long with like an extra season they didn't need (EG Scrubs). Community is like 3 seasons too long. I will never understand propping up a shows corpse once you lose multiple cast members in a series built around an ensemble cast.
Yep. Any show based around the idea of a group of students at a community college (ostensibly a 2-year period of one's life) lasting longer than say 3 seasons at most is inevitably going to be terrible over time. My wife and I couldn't finish it. It got so bad as it progressed that I can't remember exactly when we stopped but it was way too late as is. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was great early on and am one of the people who watched it from the beginning, but it had no legs and was run into the ground. Certain elements will always be great though.

Pop pop!

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It's the only sitcom I've watched that stays as good or gets even better as it goes on. It's never bad, or even mediocre.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
30 Rock is probably, minute to minute, the funniest NBC comedy. So your point is hard to argue.

But I personally gravitate to Community and Cheers more, mainly due to their characters.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's always been Seinfeld and then everything else. Looks like OP's got their priorities right.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Cheers is consistent from start to finish in a way I don't think any sitcom has touched. Even Simpsons couldn't do 11 seasons straight.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Something about this show turns me off, seems too inside baseball, upper middle class liberal humor. I'm sure I'm being judgmental though.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, I have this show running on my TV with a 30 minute sleep timer every night when I go to bed, and have for about five years. It's my comfort show.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
30 Rock never quite clicked for me.

In a world where The Office, Parks & Rec, and Community exist, 30 Rock doesn't even break the top six for me personally.
30 Rock literally demolishes the three other shows you mention in your post. The Office and Parks & Rec have two good seasons each and Community is just trash.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
It doesn't help that Joel McHale might be the least likeable lead in television history

Not only that! So many of the main characters end up feeling incredibly one-note and empty in episodes where they don't have something obvious to do. Pierce is Terrible. Shirley has nothing to do even though Yvette Nicole Brown is putting in the work. Britta they just don't know what to do with half the time. Even Troy and Abed, a duo I adored when the show was on the air, feel like a lazy pseudo Big Bang theory thing in retrospect. Only Annie emerges as a well-written and likeable and interesting character consistently tbh.

I guess it's shocking to me that the show, which prided itself on being the product of this brain genius god-tier creator/writer, just feels so weak in so many places when I try going back to it. Maybe it's just that I loved the show too much when I was younger and I just cringe at it now, but damn. I hate to say it, but even with its Flaws, Rick and Morty is a significant step up in nearly every conceivable category.

Zutter

Oct 19, 2018
I've tried to get into it multiple times but I just couldn't.

Parks & Rec, It's Always Sunny and The Good Place >>>>

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
30 Rock shits on every show on that list from a very high height

Seinfeld, alas, is also being shit on in this scenario

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
It's basically a more accepted variant of Sports Night.

I don't think it gets into the top-five shows on the network. It was never the most popular of its own timeline.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
30 Rock is better than every comedy mentioned in this thread not named Seinfeld.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not only that! So many of the main characters end up feeling incredibly one-note and empty in episodes where they don't have something obvious to do. Pierce is Terrible. Shirley has nothing to do even though Yvette Nicole Brown is putting in the work. Britta they just don't know what to do with half the time. Even Troy and Abed, a duo I adored when the show was on the air, feel like a lazy pseudo Big Bang theory thing in retrospect. Only Annie emerges as a well-written and likeable and interesting character consistently tbh.

I guess it's shocking to me that the show, which prided itself on being the product of this brain genius god-tier creator/writer, just feels so weak in so many places when I try going back to it. Maybe it's just that I loved the show too much when I was younger and I just cringe at it now, but damn. I hate to say it, but even with its Flaws, Rick and Morty is a significant step up in nearly every conceivable category.

Although I agree with you on the character stuff, looking back, there are so many amazing episodes in the first 3 seasons of Community that are cleverly written & fun to rewatch.

Debate 109
Cooperative Calligraphy
Paradigms of Human Memory
Remedial Chaos Theory
Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas
Regional Holiday Music
Pillows and Blankets
And of course, the paintball episodes.

Yeah, the characters are one-dimensional and when the show realizes that and focuses on clever concept & funny situations, it thrives. I felt season 4 really tried to focus on the drama and it just didn't work.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I'd go NewsRadio, Seinfeld, Cheers, Frasier, Sanford and Son, Park and Rec, 30 Rock. I wouldn't rank anything else. Taxi I'd put as 2nd, but the good years were on ABC.
More votes for NewsRadio, please. Easily one of the best (for the first 4 seasons anyway. RIP Phil Hartman.)

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
"The other day, I was telling Moonvest about this."
"Les Moonves at CBS knows about this?"
"................"

"Hey Moonvest!!"

CQXG3p2WwAAbEtm.png

Oct 29, 2017
It's very shameful that the Golden Girls or Family Ties hasn't entered this thread.
Here's my list:
1. Cosby Show: Bill Cosby is an piece of shit. But his show is all time great. And it changed this country perception of Black people. Claire Huxtable became America's Mom.
2. Seinfeld: There was never anything like this show when it was created.There's phrases from Seinfeld that have become universally known. You can go to someone and say "No Soup For You!" And they will laugh.
3. Cheers(I could cheat and put Taxi): This show was an showcase for so many amazing talents. It's the best comedic ensemble NBC ever had in an sitcom.
4. Golden Girls: This show created its own genre of sitcom. Sex in the City, Friends, Girlfriends and Living Single all were successful shows using the same premise. The leads were comedy gold together.
5. Family Ties: Its the perfect snapshot of 80's middle America.
6. Fresh Prince of Bel Aire: This show was an Will Smith vehicle to get into Hollywood. He wasn't the star.
7. Friends: This show was derived from Golden Girls/Living Single. But the cast was really great. It also had Soap Opera elements to it.
8. Community:This show could've been another Seinfeld if NBC stayed patient and realized the show would slowly build up an audience.
9.Saved by the Bell: nuff said
10. Sanford and Son: Redd Foxx is one of the funniest human beings who ever lived. That alone gets him an spot.

Oct 25, 2017
My main issue with 30 Rock rewatches is the show feels really locked into a time period. A lot of the jokes seem to weighted in the current pop culture of the year and they just fall flat for me.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen a single episode of 30 Rock, but my pick off of that list is Sanford and Son.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I need to 30 Rock another go.

I started watching during it's last few years, as I was a huge fan of the other NBC shows it was often paired with but found it weirdly self-congratulatory and cartoonish.

Years later, my gf said it's best watched from the start and feels a bit more grounded in the earlier seasons. She was right and more of the humor was focused on the snappy dialogue. I liked it but I didn't stay with it. I should give it another go.

The Good Place
Community
Seinfeld
Cheers
The Office
Parks & Rec

I prefer all of these over 30 Rock. Even though Community has the Season 4 slump and arguably gets pretty weird and unfocused during it's final season, it's one of my favorite sitcoms of all time.

The Good Place was just fantastic.

Jun 20, 2019
Christ no.

Cosby Show, Friends, Cheers, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Sanford and Son, Night Court, Seinfeld, and Frasier are all better. Some significantly better.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well good that you understand Seinfeld is #1. And as oversaturated as it is, I think it's no contest that The Office is #2. Even with the saturation and it's arguably horrible last few seasons, it's just utterly sublime.

I would also argue that Sandford and Son, Fresh Prince, and Scrubs are all better as well. Oh and Fraiser. I never had a huge affinity for 30 Rock tbh, but I can understand it's appeal and I still do enjoy it.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty crazy that NBC was running 30 Rock, The Office, Community, and Parka and Rec at the same time. We can disagree about the beat single show, but that has to be the best single night lineup.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
30 Rock literally demolishes the three other shows you mention in your post. The Office and Parks & Rec have two good seasons each and Community is just trash.
I watched Parks this year and for me it just got better as it went on and found its ground. Maybe there was a dip when Andy had to be away for a few episodes. Then the final season is fantastic.

In any case, this thread made me want to give 30 rock a shot.