• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno whats more shocking. The fact that 30% of americans believe it was created in a lab or that only 43% believe it came about naturally.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
MY dad asked me if i thought this was true. (he watches fox news). I keep having to tell him that is an absurd conspiracy theory. Luckily i think I am getting through to him with that

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I wanted to make some joke about how a considerable part of the American people is stupid, but then I remembered yday a woman was arrested in a park in my country (it is prohibited there) saying that the coronavirus was an invention to help the communist revolution... people really are dumb. Everywhere.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah, I've seen a Video about this. Not a bio weapon but more like a virus being studied and got accidentally leaked outside the lab
Do I believe it? it's a possible scenario

Note: I don't know the video creator or his history. So apologies if he is an asshole and will edit the video out if it comes to that.

The video shows public available documents, a timeline and job postings that points to A Wuhan Lab.

I watched it. The whole crux of his theory is based on the job postings. Very shaky foundations.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
If you think this was man-made, you're an idiot.
If you think 5G cause this, you're an idiot.
If you're still unsure on those, you're probably an idiot anyways.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
There's a local here, in Canada, who:

Thinks this is a man made virus aimed at killing seniors and those with health issues, and that all governments signed an "Agenda 21" in 2008 that said they plan to kill a billion people by 2030 to save "100rds of billions per year". (Meanwhile, governments are SPENDING billions just to save the economy.. but hey.)
And that, some how, staying inside will help spread the virus so everyone will get it and that it's better to be outside. (Which, conveniently, he owns a "redneck mud trail and sober bar" - his words.)

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Just the city the virus originated in will fuel this forever. It would be the same if a global pandemic started out in Atlanta, GA.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I know people here in Canada that think this is just some government conspiracy to tackle climate change and kill off people etc. Its really sad.
One of my coworkers literally said to me the other day "Im not a conspiracy nut but I think the virus was created so they can control us"

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I don't think this is the explanation for their beliefs at all.

There is clear, objective scientific evidence that proves this virus was not "created" in a lab. People willfully choose to ignore it because Trump (or their local fascist leader) said so.

The poll in the OP clearly shows that there is no difference in the viewpoints of political groups. The major factors are race/ethnicity, with Black and Hispanics less likely to think the virus came about natural, and age. The young is more into the bio-weapon hoax. Boomers, who are both old and largely White, are ironically more sure the virus is natural than the more progressive Millennials and Gen Z.

A lot of people, have been made dumb by click-bait baseless YouTube videos, and blogs spreading bullshit without proof.

The only reason Boomers aren't engaging in conspiracy idiocy this time is because COVID-19 is a deadly killer for many in that age group. Reality has forced them out of the delusions. That hasn't happened with a lot of the young.

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
My parents are also of this group. Makes my blood boil.

Pizzagate. Agenda 21. You name it. To add fuel to the fire, they're right wing Christian extremists (end times, cult group).

More recently, they were sent a photo of the "COVID19 train car" (debunked by everyone), yet they insisted China sent the virus over here in those things. I sent them a snopes.com (to be fair the name "snopes does sound fishy) article that gathers all of the facts from various credible sources that all debunked it....but they refused to believe me. I even told them that FOX news and others (both left and right wing media outlets) published articles stating that it was false. But "all media is controlled now, you can't trust em!!"

Over the past couple weeks, their beliefs have changed from "made in a lab" to 5g to God's judgement.

I haven't tried to send them anything else to convince them otherwise of their theori--i mean "truth". After my attempt with the train car conspiracy, I just don't think I could get them to budge any more on anything.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
My dad said this to me right before shit hit the fan, I shrugged and said maybe but also probably not, then looked it up and showed him that the facts are a hard disagree. Sometimes people just need to be informed. Other times people just cling to dumb ass shit anyway, like my co-worker who's convinced she already had coronavirus in November because she WebMD diagnosed herself.

Semiregular

Mar 11, 2020
I mean, this rumor was started in China originally (that it was accidentally leaked from the P4 lab in Wuhan).

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I'll be honest, i wouldn't be surprised if it escaped a Chinese lab. I absolutely don't think it was deliberate, but bats don't live naturally in Wuhan, the wet market was already disapproved as the initial source of the outbreak in the 1st patient, and the Chinese government, I feel would like to blame the wet market vs a breakdown in a lab in Wuhan.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a conversation with my dad

Dad: Coronavirus was made by the Chinese in a lab to strengthen their economy.

Me: Isn't their economy trashed right now because of this?

Dad: You think they aren't willing to sacrifice their economy for their greater plans? China kills people off all the time!

Me: WHY WOULD THEY KILL OFF THEIR ECONOMY IF THE WHOLE PLAN WAS TO STRENGTHEN THEIR ECONOMY
This is how phone conversations with my mum unfortunately go these days. She's a European immigrant in Australia inexplicably drinking Trump kool-aid (youtube clips) and it's driving me crazy.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'll be honest, i wouldn't be surprised if it escaped a Chinese lab. I absolutely don't think it was deliberate, but bats don't live naturally in Wuhan, the wet market was already disapproved as the initial source of the outbreak in the 1st patient, and the Chinese government, I feel would like to blame the wet market vs a breakdown in a lab in Wuhan.

They aren't even sure it was from bats.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
This is how phone conversations with my mum unfortunately go these days. She's a European immigrant in Australia inexplicably drinking Trump kool-aid (youtube clips) and it's driving me crazy.

Let me help you if you care enough.

As a result of the virus, China's outlook worldwide has taken a huge beating. The virus has exposed huge holes in China being the world's factory, national security wise, health wise, etc, and Europe and the U.S at the least will begin to strengthen their domestic industries for the future. If they wanted to strengthen their enemies, this virus sure would help.

On that note, how the fuck does China benefit from the virus? Economically? Who gonna be buying Chinese products if the entire world is in recession? Most of China's output is still intended for export. The rest of the world is shutting down, meaning less money to China.

They aren't even sure it was from bats.

www.theguardian.com

How did coronavirus start and where did it come from? Was it really Wuhan’s animal market?

It’s likely Covid-19 originated in bats, scientists say. But did it then spread to pangolins and humans?

Needs research of course, but bats are most likely. Also pangolins are really cute.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have been researching this since mid January and have come to the conclusion that this is very probably a man made virus. Yes I have read both sides of the story and the one which I lean towards is man made.

Don't kid yourself these things are not being made. New virulent viruses are made and published in academic journals all the time.

In fact the biolab in Wuhan published in nature that they made a coronavirus very similar to this one a few years back.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It goes without saying that this originated in bats. It's a bat disease.

The trouble is this. How does this bat disease jump species.

The tricks and hoops for this Covid-19 to do so naturally surprise me which is why I researched all angles.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I have a dipshit coworker who is convinced of this. I asked him what possible incentive the manufacturing capital of the world would have to make the entire rest of the world sick and broke, but I'm shocked to report that I didn't really get a good answer.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the media is somewhat to blame. The messaging on how it came about is getting lost due to the fact the some in the media are now talking around the the fact it may have originated in a wet market in China. Now we are even seeing a lot more think pieces and even YouTube videos trying to diffuse the focus on China's wet markets. Not to mention talk of the possibility of New York's outbreak originating from Europe, coupled with some of China's officials deliberately attempting to change the narrative on where it originated from. It can all lead to some people not knowing what to believe.

Also, the very clinical name, COVID-19, reads like some lab experiment you hear of in some book, game or movie, so not really surprised some are veering off into conspiracy theories they might have picked up on while consuming those media. If anything I'm more surprised at the fact some are surprised some are giving in to conspiracy theories considering we have so many that think the moon landing is fake and 9/11 was an inside job.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My parents actually believe it was created as a weapon in China. I'm pretty sure they are influenced by dubious sources on Facebook.
A friend of mine suspects the possibility that it was released to quell the Hong Kong protests in order to avoid another internationaly known incident like Tiananmen Square, due to social media and internet access she thinks the Chinese government had to be smarter about it.

It's the only conspiracy theory that makes any sort of sense. There isn't any evidence to support that though and I myself am convinced this originated naturally, probably from the wet markets.

Deleted member 4852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Credible source that the virus comes from a lab as you claim in your post. Just because that lab is nearby does not mean it comes from there. This is purely engaging in baseless conspiracy theories. It's trash-level content.

Not a biological weapon : "The scientists say there is zero evidence the Chinese or American government purposefully introduced the new coronavirus "
www.cnn.com

How did coronavirus break out? Theories abound as researchers race to solve genetic detective story | CNN

A vacuum of knowledge about the origins of the new coronavirus ravaging the world has provided fertile ground for all manner of theories -- from the fantastic, to the dubious to the believable.

If you're saying that it came from wet markets:

"The truth of how this began remains elusive. But CNN spoke to more than half a dozen virus experts about the origins of the outbreak, and all of them say anyone who claims to know the source of Covid-19 is guessing"
www.cnn.com

How did coronavirus break out? Theories abound as researchers race to solve genetic detective story | CNN

A vacuum of knowledge about the origins of the new coronavirus ravaging the world has provided fertile ground for all manner of theories -- from the fantastic, to the dubious to the believable.

and for those seeking the truth:
"academic papers about tracing the origin of the virus must be strictly and tightly managed."
www.cnn.com

Beijing tightens grip over coronavirus research, amid US-China row on virus origin | CNN

China has imposed restrictions on the publication of academic research on the origins of the novel coronavirus, according to a central government directive and online notices published by two Chinese universities, that have since been removed from the web.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
to be honest it is a possibility given some public experiments done in china years ago. Also, being man made doesn't mean that it has been purposefully spread around with ulterior motifs.

this doesn't mean it is though, just a possibility, way more unlikely than the normal process from which most diseases are created, which is human/animal interaction

Oct 26, 2017
This is why I hate the psychological phenomenon where people have to (over)explain something as a way to make sense of the world. Like it's a fucking TV episode.

Deleted member 4852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one of the Americans we used to play League with believed in like 20 different conspiracies

Its possibly like the flu shot. the flu shot cant make you sick but it can make you feel sick and so many people just say that they got sick from the flu shot. Possibly, most of those that say it was made in a lab just mean it camefrom the lab, which may or may not be true but to paraphrase the CNN article i posted before, anyone claiming to know the source of the virus doesnt know what they are talking about.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Thats only half the conspiracy. Maybe it wasnt 'created' in a lab but the main one is that the outbreak came from a lab.

That only marginally more believable though.

If the Virus is a natural occurence it could have spread form anywhere. It obiouvsly could have come from a lab. But that's because it could have come from literally anywhere else where bats (or whichever organism is the original carrier) are.

Additionally, if the carrier was really a animal like bats, it's likely there were multiple origin points and not just one. Because animals infect each other too.

to be honest it is a possibility given some public experiments done in china years ago. Also, being man made doesn't mean that it has been purposefully spread around with ulterior motifs.

this doesn't mean it is though, just a possibility, way more unlikely than the normal process from which most diseases are created, which is human/animal interaction

No it's not. Intentional crossbreeding and/or direct genome insertion is easily detectable.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Believing it was lab created is claiming to know the source
I started my post by quoting a source saying it wasnt created in the lab so.....
I was also trying to point out that a lot of people dont differentiate between "created in a lab" and a disease that is naturally ocurring that escapes from a lab.

"Scientists have banded together across international borders to condemn the nationalist-tinged conspiracy theories. And yet, they are divided on what was once widely thought the most likely culprit: a so-called wet market in Wuhan, where wild animals are kept in cages and sold as pets or food."

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I've heard it all where I work; population control, government control, bill gates, man made.

I work in fucking healthcare and people just throw out this random shit without anything to back it up. Infuriating.

Deleted member 4852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i could be wrong. is their a source that is an independent source that is not relying in CCP data?

Last edited: