• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Nearly 30% in the US believe a coronavirus theory that's almost certainly not true
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/13/us/coronavirus-made-in-lab-poll-trnd/index.html

From new PEW poll:

FT_20.04.01_COVIDLab_01b.png

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
I know people here in Canada that think this is just some government conspiracy to tackle climate change and kill off people etc. Its really sad.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah well the genome sequencing data we have proves it comes from natural origins.

I hate the stupidity of the general public

Oct 25, 2017
I know that people that are like "You see, with this virus China has demonstrated it's economic power over the world......which wasn't obvious to literally anybody before, they had to develop a virus to prove how important they are"

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
You knew some people think this thanks to other people saying the same shit with a soapbox they can see.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the venn diagram with those people and trump supporters is essentially one circle

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 week): Conspiratorial rhetoric
It wasn't? I figured it was a bio-weapon that accidentally got out and fucked us all. All I've heard otherwise is the racist "bat soup" BS.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It just shows that you could get people to believe in anything if enough people spam it hard enough.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are people on this very forum who believe this. The elephant in the room since the HK protests started is that (typically white) liberals align themselves with the alt-right in their criticisms of China instead of taking up the labor of segregating their respective opinions, they don't think too hard about who their clasping hands with, and more importantly, how dangerous ideas could easily take root.

Put another way, China absolutely deserves criticism, but for fuck's sake don't let 4ch and reddit memes be your source for it.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
The signal from 5G towers infected the minds of Corona beer workers, who in turn created the virus in their lab after 18 unsuccessful attempts.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
And I'll bet a lot of them also think that chloroquine is indeed the miracle cure, without it occurring to them that the engineers in such a situation probably wouldn't design a virus that was easily beaten by a widely available drug.

Dec 31, 2017
User banned (1 week): Conspiratorial rhetoric
It wasn't? I figured it was a bio-weapon that accidentally got out and fucked us all. All I've heard otherwise is the racist "bat soup" BS.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything. But that's always what I thought.

Some minimum wage flunky fucked up by accident.

That couldn't ever be confirmed of course, heads would roll. Literally I'm some countries.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know people here in Canada that think this is just some government conspiracy to tackle climate change and kill off people etc. Its really sad.
Yup. When I got my car serviced back in late February my service shuttle driver told me all about how a scientist in Winnipeg created it and the Chinese assassinated him and took it back to China for population control.

Mar 31, 2018
So many people believe in those conspiracy theories. They're hard to disprove, unfortunately. When I use facts, they accuse me that they are all lies from the media and science, both of which have been fabricated by the government. When I try to clarify the errors in the premises and reasoning of conspiracy theories, they don't understand. In conspiracy theories, connections are so weak and the evidence so dubious. For me it would be obvious that they are fake, but for a lot of people they are not.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is the country that elected Donald Trump. Not surprised.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I'd actually prefer if the prevailing conspiracy involved space aliens, at least that way the blame falls squarely on an outside threat.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
If it's was made, that is not, as a population control they did a terrible job this is not putting a dent in global people numbers.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a conversation with my dad

Dad: Coronavirus was made by the Chinese in a lab to strengthen their economy.

Me: Isn't their economy trashed right now because of this?

Dad: You think they aren't willing to sacrifice their economy for their greater plans? China kills people off all the time!

Me: WHY WOULD THEY KILL OFF THEIR ECONOMY IF THE WHOLE PLAN WAS TO STRENGTHEN THEIR ECONOMY

Oct 27, 2017
33% of the population is relatively normal, somewhat adjusted adults.

Another 33% are shit-flinging marks just waiting to get frothed by a con-man.

The other 33% are perpetually tuned-out balls of civic-apathy who probably wouldn't complain about living under authoritarian control as long as they got at least 2 Bachelor/ Bachelorette shows per year.

That last 1% just hope it all goes to shit before their bets against the market expire.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
It's a virus developed by liberal scientists trying to prove global warming is real to take our guns away.

I had someone tell me that it was created by the Chinese to get back at us for pulling out of NAFTA.

I also had someone tell me that it's nothing more then the flu because corona is another word for flu.

Made me want to bash my head into my work counter over and over just to end the stupidity.

It's utterly amazing how we have a tool that gives a person access to the entire range of human knowledge and it gets used for stupid shit like this.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
As much shit as Fox News/Conservative media (deservedly) gets for the current state of American politics, not nearly as much shit goes to conspiracy and paranormal media for the widespread mistrust in science and experts, and the public confusing conspiracy contrarianism with critical thinking.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if that number goes even higher in the future.

We are so screwed...

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest harm long-term the Trump presidency has done is its destruction of the collective trust in experts (be they scientists, economists, journalists, etc). Going to take a long time to recover from that.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something like 30% of Americans think the Earth is flat. This is actually a fairly low number by American standards.