• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Sigh. Why do this. Why be that guy. Just let them get the reception they got. There will always be contrarians.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Odyssey definitely should not be there. It failed at one of the key goals that every video game should have, which is to provide a sense of accomplishment for completing tasks/objectives/actions. Very little in that game feels earned. Also, it has the worst collection of worlds of any Mario game.

The people who it was designed around (people who play in small bite sized sessions) definitely feel a sense of accomplishment. I felt the same as you though but it's still a great 3D platformer / adventure and well worth a 9 imo.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
So about 30 games over 90 in 7 years?

How does this compare to previous gen? Have reviewers gotten harsher.
Okay, so I used Metacritic for this because Opencritic doesn't go back to last gen.
I did not count handheld games to keep things simpler.
I only counted the SKU with the most reviews in all cases.
I did count enhanced re-releases and remasters, but I did not count straight ports within the same generation (i.e., MK8 and MK8D both count, but Hollow Knight doesn't count twice for its PC and Switch releases).
With all this in mind:
62 games on Metacritic got 90 or above this generation.
102 games on Metacritic got 90 or above last generation.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I've played 10 of those games. I'm not sure I'd say that any of them don't deserve 90+ MC, but I definitely have differing opinions on some:
  • Persona 5 was a 90+ MC game in its first act, but the plot kind of devolved after that. Couldn't really make it through the 4th dungeon.
  • Animal Crossing feels more like a mid-high 80's title than 90+ to me, but it's still really good.
  • Couldn't get into Sekiro at all. Different strokes for different folks on that one.
  • Hollow Knight feels like a low 80's title to me. The map and general exploration was just an exercise in frustration for me for the entire time I played it; don't know why you wouldn't just stick with a map system and exploration structure that's proven to work well (aka Metroid and Castlevania) instead of making one that's actively annoying like Hollow Knight's.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4
Inside
BOTW
Smash
MGSV
Bayonetta 2
Overwatch
Persona 5
Animal Crossing

It doesn't really matter. Everyone has their own preferences.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I've played every game on that list except 4, and every one I've played deserve at least 9/10.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Of the games I've played on the list I don't get Stardew Valley.

There is nothing wrong with the game and it's a well crafted world that looks cute, I just don't see what makes it a special game.

Maybe it's because I'd burnt out on the harvest moon a long time ago and it feels too familiar. I'm sure new players to the genre or people dying for a new harvest moon would easily fall in love with it. I just felt like I'd been there, done that, and worn the t shirt and didn't have the stomach to go through it all again.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I played and liked P5 a lot (got the plat), but I think a 94 is probably a bit high for what it is. Bayo 2 as well, I think, but neither am I like WOW THIS GAME SHOULD BE A 70 or whatever. Just think they prob could be bumped down a few points.

DOS2 didn't vibe with me but that's more of a me problem.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Of the games I've played on the list I don't get Stardew Valley.

There is nothing wrong with the game and it's a well crafted world that looks cute, I just don't see what makes it a special game.

Maybe it's because I'd burnt out on the harvest moon a long time ago and it feels too familiar. I'm sure new players to the genre or people dying for a new harvest moon would easily fall in love with it. I just felt like I'd been there, done that, and worn the t shirt and didn't have the stomach to go through it all again.

I sort of felt the same on stardew--I do like harvest moon/now story of seasons a lot as like a comfort game, and prefer those to stardew BUT stardew's multiplayer is legitimately great. Not so much because it makes the gameplay more fun, it's just..a fun game to hang out with your friends in. Stardew isn't one of my favorite games of the last 5 years and I'd probably give it a solid 7 on it's own--but I ended up playing like 60 hours of multiplayer with friends and just chatting and that was a really good experience. That alone makes me okay with it being so highly scored (even tho most scores prob didn't take into account the multiplayer).

edit: whoops double post my bad

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
There's a lot of game son that list that I personally don't find interesting, games like God of War 2. But I can still see them up there. What God of War 2 sets out to accomplish, it accomplishes really well. It's not my thing, but it's definitely one of the best of those types of games, and that's really all a score is anyway. People's opinions on how that title compares to other similar games.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The only games I'd put on my equivalent for this list from there are Odyssey, Ultimate, Rayman Legends, and maybe Breath of the Wild. Persona 5 would get close I guess. It also wouldn't make mine but I respect Celeste getting there a lot.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
There's a lot of game son that list that I personally don't find interesting, games like God of War 2. But I can still see them up there. What God of War 2 sets out to accomplish, it accomplishes really well. It's not my thing, but it's definitely one of the best of those types of games, and that's really all a score is anyway. People's opinions on how that title compares to other similar games.
God of War... 2?

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing

And I say this as someone who has put in 150+ hours.

The dearth of QoL features and basic UI fixes almost 5 generations in are one thing that already gets grating enough on its own, but the total mess of an online mode that makes doing anything a repetitive, overlong chore and lack of cloud saves are just too egregious to earn a flat 90. Not even all the charm in the world can hide these blemishes. I still enjoyed a lot about it, but it's a 70 at best.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Generally, when factoring in the almight review score aggregate I tend to enjoy games in the eighties bracket more than the nineties.
You could say that as the games in the nineties have more mass appeal, while the eighties have games that may rub some the wrong way but when you're in sync with them, they're the REAL ninety plus from a personal standpoint.

Gonna scope out this list , based on the games I've played...

Super Mario Odyssey - 97
I kinda get it, from a more casual man's standpoint, Mario Odyssey is an incredibly welcoming 3D platformer filled with creativity, feels good to simply move around, finishes strong as well.
For my own platforming tastes its a bit too easy and still has to stack up to my personal fave of SMG2, the score here indicates a game that arguably represents either a shift for the franchise/genre or simply being a masterclass of design and while close I don't think it's quite either of those things so it's almost a bit crazy seeing it with the highest average.
All that said, 3D Mario team is super consistent

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 96
Even as a man who likes Skyward Sword, this series NEEDED a shake up, and it got it.
I'd kinda just started relegating Zelda to being a quality series that was never gonna quite match expectations heaped on the franchise, but the mad men did it.
Not perfectly of course but their first swing at an open world nailed exactly what I want from the genre.

God of War - 95
For me, this is probably as good as the third person cinematic game gets (until I play TLOU2 maybe? even then, the tone here is a lot more up my alley)
Somewhat like the above, GoW was a much needed refresh of a franchise growing rote, its combat system is rather unique for an action hack and slash and gives it that extra kick. If its held back by anything its simply that they couldn't squeeze in more enemy types, bosses and puzzles, it does fall a bit victim to having a good amount of content that starts running a bit similar, that and the plot feels a bit too derailed by....being derailed, it gets quite macguffin hunty.
Like Mario Odyssey I totally see the praise while thinking that its really waiting to kick into the next gear via a sequel that builds upon it.

Persona 5 - 94
Hmmm
I enjoyed my time with P5, it's got style for days and a solid feedback loop.
I find it improves upon P4 by actually having crafted dungeon design, it does a lot well
Long run though I'm feeling like I'm not quite sure what P5 does for the genre to really elevate it this high? a kind of sum of its parts title to me I guess.

Undertale - 94
I like it as a quirky dialogue and scenario extravaganza, as well as a refreshingly brief dip into the RPG land for a change.
Never really fell in love with it though.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 92
If there's a game among these that has me raise a quizzical eyebrow, this be the one.
It's just more Uncharted but BIGGER and not in a good way as it heavily overstays its welcome while somehow managing to skimp on its slightly improved gunplay in favour of bloated and tedious "platforming".
I think it's carried quite hard by the tone which balances that pulpy action alongside stronger emotional storybeats, but that ain't nearly enough for me to overlook that for a lot of the time the game can be kinda boring to actually play, with glimmers of what could've been sprinkled in.
Play Lost Legacy instead.

Resident Evil 2 - 92
Feels bizarre to play a big budget title that wraps itself up in a tight 6 or 8 hours.
Worth its score, like a strange hybrid of classic and modern Resi that while not being first person, builds upon 7 to make a more well rounded advaneture with a nostalgia pleasing wrapping. Interestingly it exists perfectly alongside the original Resi 2.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 92
Mr Sakurai's Wild Ride is a love letter to gaming and we're all richer for it.
It's also a lot of fun.

Forza Horizon 4 - 92
Can't judge this too much as I dropped it after 5 hours or so, and not due to a lack of quality or anything, to my unaccustomed to the genre eyes it appears to do a ton right.
Really it's just not my scene in the end, probably worth its praise.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 92
As I'll often say when this game is brought up, I had my fill around Skellige in a being satisfyingly full way.
Totally get the praise, it may be a bit rough in places but this feels like one of the gens first proper showcase titles and I think it will retain a lot of love over time even if some aspects do age.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 92
Fascinating, to me this game is like the complete opposite of MGS4 and it really reveals a more stark divide people have between gameplay and plot.
So for me, that's great, not so much for a large portion of the fans it seems.
A putrid prologue gives way to a crazy entertaining sandbox where I think you get out what you put in. The capacity for creativity and emergent scenarios make TPP a wild ride even if the plots wild ride is like when you have a shuttle loop in rollercoaster tycoon that boosts too fast and flies off the end.
It's a crime these base mechanics never got to be repurposed (shush MG Survive) because seeing an entry being like a collection of Ground Zeroes areas could've been nuts.

Celeste - 91
The best of a subgenre of platformer I'm not entirely keen on.
Despite the die retry nature, Celeste packages itself in a much more welcoming fashion and has a host of inspired level gimmicks to work with the punchy platformer base.
Its extra content does start to lean too much into "solve this puzzle via inputting buttons like you're performing a fighting game trial combo"

Bloodborne - 91
The true follow up to Dark Souls, that ain't a dig at 2 or 3 which I enjoyed, just that Bloodborne really feels like it expands upon a familiar groundwork instead of just being more of the same.
Well you could expect that from having a different name and all, even so the From DNA runs deep, yet it makes enough tweaks to feel distinct enough.
Probably my fave PS4 game, you damn right it earned its place.

Bayonetta 2 - 91* [Wii-U but came out after XB1/PS4]
In retrospect, as great as Bayo 2 is, it has a number of strange quirks that become more evident the more you replay it. Finds itself in an odd place of improving on a number of the original games most obvious issues while taking a few steps back itself from that game in the combat department. Much more welcoming than most of the genre though so it's a great starting point for stylish action.
More of a high eighties game to me.

Overwatch - 91
LOVE/HATE: The videogame.
I don't know how to approach Overwatch these days, it's one of my faves of the generation yet it also has this vibe around it over the last few years that Blizz kinda fumbled their momentum. Fuck it, it's still worth that score, for all the faults I can poke at it now after like 1000 hours of play, there's so much small stuff that was part of the package out of the gate that made the game a true standout.

INSIDE - 91
Not too big on the artsy puzzle platformers, this one is the best I've played though and has a cracking finale.

Rayman Legends - 91
Simultaneously has a lot of content while feeling a bit like it lacks some, what a paradox.
In any case it's a top 10 in the genre title for me and a crowning jewel of multiplayer platforming. Makes all the right gameplay improvements off Origins for me while experimenting with ideas like the online challenges and asymmetric murfy gameplay (which switches to being a context sensitive environment interaction button otherwise, somehow this is actually pretty neat as well)

Hollow Knight - 90
Arguable GOAT Metroidvania that has that same kind of flawed brilliance as Symphony of the Night to me, like sure its maybe too big for its own good but that excess is kinda why I love it.
A world to truly lose myself in, heck I'd score this HIGHER.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 90
The right game at the right time, but still the same game I've played before for the most part and that's a feeling the series ain't gonna shake off despite a bunch of crafting and such which actually does less for me in the grand scheme of things.
Arguably the best outing for the series but it's kinda like being the best New Super Mario Bros title, I mean yeah the quality is there but there's only so far it can go.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 90
Falls a bit on the lower end of my modern From spectrum, that falls to about 85 by the way so it's still close to this 90 barometer.
I appreciate that despite surface level similarities, it's not just more souls.
It is a shame though that the switch to a more plot driven game led to a plot that I give ZERO fucks about, fortunately it's From and I'm here for the gameplay which is satisfying if lacking in variety long term.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 90
Shitacular base XBOX performance aside, this is excellent iteration on Blind Forest, it still manages to stand out despite the metroidvania genre being bloated these days, the strength of its nimble platforming across areas that always have a neat lite puzzle or platforming scenario ensures it sticks in my mind and makes each area count.

Stardew Valley - 90
The proper Harvest Moon sequel I'd been craving among a sea of mediocre Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons games being flung out on the regular.
The base game alone was excellent, the numerous updates only serve to elevate it further.
Multiplayer Stardew is the best thing you never knew you wanted, the game is masterful at drip feeding little bits of new content to discover throughout the farming loop.
It's funny, I don't tend to think of it as one of my faves of the generation yet I have nothing but high praise for it.

As for the rest...
Some of them I'll probably get around to one day except those that I've played ever so briefly to know how I'll likely feel about the whole thing (Divinity is great but not my thing, though it was in the awkward co-op mode, RDR2 repelled me with such force during the hour I played it that I have zero desire to approach it again)

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Overwatch 2020 stands in question of a possible score change(to the 80s).

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
They all deserve it.

Review scores are merely the opinions of a few dozen people playing a game early. Nothing more, nothing less. The gaming community gets way too wrapped up in them.

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey | Metacritic 97 | Actual 5/10
Persona 5 | 94 | 8/10
Uncharted 4 | 92 | 6/10
Inside | 91 | 7/10

The biggest offender is Super Mario Odyssey. It was a snoozefest. If I had done my chores instead I would've gotten the same level of entertainment, but at least I got my chores done.

Persona 5 is masterful in many of it's elements, but trips itself on its untied shoes every so often. This might be one of the worst written scenes in any video game I've ever played. The exposition and explaining the plot and motivations makes me want to throw up it's so bad.

But it's still got amazing music and visuals with a fun turn based battle system so it's a really good game. But no game with that scene is a 94.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Persona 5 is the most egregious one. I cannot understand how that game gets such great reviews across the board.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I haven't played Celeste yet but when I see the name I only think of the Celeste pizzas which are easily 6/10

71xcM2tlY%2BL._SX679_.jpg

Martoridley

Oct 29, 2017
Man, I don't like these threads. They always invite so much negativity. All of these games deserve to be on there.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Uncharted 4, defintely.

The game that wore me out on the naughty dog formula, so I might be biased for that one.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah seems to be right. All game on the list are great games. Some even genre defining. What a great generation

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
All deserve to be up there, but Ori and the Blind Forest, Hellblade, A Plague Tale and Fire Emblem: Three Houses deserve to be up there too.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Mario
RDR2

Everything else looks fine, at a stretch I would say Botw is also overrated but it is what it is.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Of the ones I've played, Forza Horizon 3 and 4, I suppose. They're good but not really exceptional.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Imho MGS5 and Overwatch. While both are still really good games their drawbacks are also too big to make them one of the best games of a generation.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Of the 10 I played, the only one I didn't enjoy was RDR2, though I can understand why others would enjoy it.

Probably spent the most time with Hollow Knight and MGS5, think I enjoyed Ori and Celeste the most overall.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Super Mario Odyssey, Uncharted 4, Red Dead 2, Bayonetta 2, Dreams, Overwatch, and Sekiro shouldn't be on the list at all. Animal Crossing is devoid of content at launch. It's a game that could be a 90 in the future, but I would not give it's current state a 90.
On the contrary, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Celeste are too low.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get how you can play red dead redemption 2 with those controls and that gameplay and give it a score so high as if the point of the video game is not to be enjoying yourself