• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Out of what ive played on the list, the only problem I'm seeing is that Celeste's score average is way too low.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Persona 5 is a great game but not that great. It's gets real boring, and is full of weird dialogue, and weird representation.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
"Hey Era let's look down on people who like things we don't like while simultaneously misunderstanding how review aggregates work!"

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The actual gameplay loop of RDR2 should eliminate it from being above an 80. Same goes for Witcher 3.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
I'm okay with that list.

Anyways. The obsession some people have with scores sure is interesting.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Played almost all of them, the only one I'd score significantly lower is RDR2 (way too tedious and restrictive, couldn't enjoy it at all). Couple of others (RE2, Sekiro, Inside) I'd bump down to an 85, but overall I'm fine with that list. Astro Bot is missing though (sitting at a 90 on Metacritic; EDIT: 89 on Opencritic, dangit!).

JobenNC

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm pretty confident that, if this were put to a vote, MGSV would be the first one out. That game was groundbreaking in a lot of ways, but the total package was an absolute mess.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
"a game I didn't like but that was played and loved all over the world is bad! you are all wrong and I am right! also I like the word overrated!"

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
I mean, the entire premise of the thread is wonky. Their aggregate scores and OP is asking for individual arbitrators whether those scores are appropriate.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
So is this thread just to shit on popular and beloved games? All those games deserve to be where they are.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 is very pretty but it's tedious, the gunplay is bad and it's mission structure is very strict and dated.

Also Overwatch.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
From what played I would say the following does not belong in the 90's:
- Botw
- Mario Odyssey
- Uncharted 4
- last of us 2
- Undertale
- RE2
- MGS5
- Overwatch
- Inside
- Hollow Knight

They are by no means bad game, just does not belong in the 90's

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Bayonetta 2 definitely, same game as 1 but with downgraded combat.

Edit: also Mario odyessy should be 7/10, BOTW is very overrated, Uncharted 4 best story in the series but still it had some pacing problems.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I overlooked God of War. Complete C- of a game, probably the game that I find the most overrated in this generation (in this case, "overrated" simply meaning the gap between the score I'd give it and the scores that it got).

On the other hand, I'm shocked that Cuphead isn't in the 90s. That might be the game that most deserves it that didn't get there. Tsushima also should have scored in the low 90s.

Deleted member 46008

user requested account closure
Banned
Jul 18, 2018
I think almost all of them belong. I've played about half of them and I've heard nothing but good things from the rest. The only one that I wouldn't include would be Persona 5, and that's almost purely because I feel like the phobic and sexist content in the game betrays it's high scores and universal praise from mainstream media.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Whether Mario Odyssey deserves to be on the list is hard to say, but I definitely don't think it deserves to be the most critically acclaimed game of the generation.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
I've played most of those and most definitely deserve it. The ones I wouldn't rate 9/10+ myself are mainly for subjective reasons and I wouldn't argue that they don't deserve the 90+ score. Looks like a great list to me to be honest, so I wouldn't remove any.

There's quite a few games I'd say really should have got 90+ that missed out but I guess that's a different argument.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
They all deserve to be 90+ even if I didn't like RDR2 at all and the game that disappointed me most this year is for sure Animal Crossing.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do we really need forced negative threads? Isn't this place negative enough already? Meh.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Of the games I played, definitely God of War. Dull as fuck story and clunky combat due to the camera placement.

Edit: Oh I didn't even notice MGSV, get it out of there

Oct 25, 2017
Phantom Pain and Persona 5 I guess. Phantom Pain because it's an unfinished game and Persona 5 because it's just an absolute slog to get through and its writing is pretty bad. If it didn't undercut its own message at every turn I'd probably rate it much higher despite the monotony, but eh.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Undertale and Phantom Pain

Also, Red Dead and it's WW1 tank controls do not deserve to be that high. Probably still above a 90, but not a 96.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Super Mario Odyssey - Really enjoyed it. Still go back to it.
Red Dead Redemption 2 - Enjoyed it somewhat but overrated.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - God tier

God of War - rubbish
Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Decent game but not for me
Persona 5 - God tier

Undertale - trash
The Last of Us Part II - awful
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - only good thing about it was the graphics
Resident Evil 2 - haven't played it
Half-Life: Alyx - haven't played it
Super Smash Bros Ultimate - I suck at it but it's my favourite fighting game

Disco Elysium - utter crap
Forza Horizon 4 - love it
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - God tier

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - could've been better but really fun still
Celeste - awful
Bloodborne - Grant us eyes!

Bayonetta 2 - haven't played it
Overwatch - super fun
INSIDE - loved it :)

Rayman Legends - haven't played it
Hollow Knight - overrated crap
Forza Horizon 3 - not as good as 4 but still had a lot of fun with it
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Praise Tom Nook!
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - God tier

Dreams - haven't played it
Return of the Obra Dinn - haven't played it
Ori and the Will of the Wisps - bad
Stardew Valley - Really great

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Metal Gear V
Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Regardless of scores I don't think these belong in the pantheon with some of the other truly great games they have for company... but it's all subjective innit so who really knows.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm just strict but I don't put many games in the 90+ category for any generation.

For dragging on too long I would exclude these even though I enjoyed most of them:

Red Dead Redemption 2
God of War
Persona 5
Uncharted 4
Metal Gear Solid V
Bloodborne
Hollow Knight
Sekiro

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Hey you, the person reading this comment:

Your favorite games on this list don't deserve to be 90+.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I've played 12 of these, and even the ones that I didn't like (RDR2) so deserves to be there. I know how to appreciate games that are not for me, and I am happy that others like it. From what I read/seen from the games on the list, nothing seems out of place to me.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't imagine

1. Making this thread
2. Answering the question unironically