• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I'm not really sure why some folks are jumping to the "work in progress" defense for this stuff. Ubisoft has been unusually skittish to show off this game and this seems to be a really convincing implication. Maybe it'll be significantly cleaned up by release, but that's a lot of work to do to make this game's action look suddenly appetizing given the state it's in from the leaked video. Plus, lots of elements like the HUD and UI look final (or could pass for final, even if they change from this), which I would figure are some of the aspects of the game that would least finished or iterated by the play testing stage.

Fucking YIKES.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Can't lie, there was an extra year between this and Odessey and im bummed the gameplay doesn't look significantly better. Menus even look extremely similar.

Clearly not going to be a Syndicate -> Origins jump.

This didn't have an extra year. Valhalla and Odyssey both had a 3 year dev cycle.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm
EcMY2nOXkAIRQYi

at first, I thought it would be the official Ubi gameplay we'll get next week. Not a random preview gameplay from the a press early access.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Looks... ok. Graphics fidelity is very current-gen though, I hope this will run at 60 fps on next-gen. Stuff like characters and lighting need to be much better for a next-gen 30 fps title imo.

It's a current-gen game. I honestly think a lot of people are in for a sharp shock come October/November when the realisation sets in that the majority of games you'll be playing for a while are PS4/XB1 games with the resolution and various graphics options maxed out.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I just played Odyssey in the last six weeks or so, and there's no doubt that the combat looks better here (even if it's not a patch on Nioh or something). People are misremembering, I think.

Definitely lol, I'm literally about to jump on Odyssey right now.

This is definitely WIP, I can see the bow and arrow animations looks messed up or something. But in general this looks way better - better animations, combat looks way more fluid, attacks have a lot of weight on them instead of that floaty crap from Odyssey.

Ya it doesn't work when you are smacking into other people on the road haha. Also, takes away the whole exploration/fun of looking around while you are riding. I'm not really seeing why I would ever use this

Same here, I think I only used it once in RDR2 lol.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I will withhold judgement until the formal reveal. Could be the UbiSoft showcase demo, could be something else outdated.

The HUD though...in an age where some games have no or minimal HUD, it is crazy how much crap they squeeze on there.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I burned out already after two games of this kind. I think more and more people will burn out again, especially because the new AC games are so big and long.

They will have to send AC back to hiatus if they do basically the same thing as they did before with the franchise - shipping the same game adjusted and reskinned.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure it will be 30 fps on next gen. But this must be PC gameplay played with Xbox controller. PC will obviously offer 60 fps

I'd really like to know what they're doing with the game on XSX and PS5 because if with Zen2 based CPUs clocked at over 3 ghz you're not able to get to a stable 60fps, you must be doing something incredibly intensive somewhere else.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one that by now wouldn't mind if they just dropped creatures and monsters on AC games? Keep it as grounded as possible, no one cares about the current day, "genetic memory" angle anymore and it's not like the past 2 games didn't have any. Just embrace it.

Game looks cool IMO.
Usually, only DLC add mythology creatures and other stuff, main game should be grounded

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Coming from someone who is pretty excited for this game, this looks WAY less polished than Odyssey:

-Weirdly sliding onto the horse
-Getting knocked off of the horse looked bad
-the roll felt weirdly jerky
-glitchy animations on the battering ram
-the way the people were getting killed on the ram
-the player seems pretty bad at the game
-The breadcrumb path clipping through the bridge
-the dialogue choice UI looks like a placeholder
-parkouring over a box and they get stuck on the box
-15:10 weird popin/jerky animation when climbing
-player seems to just be tryung to brute force shield enemies instead of having a skill to deal with them ore ability to move around them
-battles just look like a complete mess, might just be player skill
-animations don't flow well into each other
-90% of the axes thrown on the thrown axes ability don't look like they hit anyone or are hitting her allies
-18:45 tons of npcs just standing around in the middle of a big battle
-Why the hell would you use 'RB' as the button in a mashing sequence? The only thing worse would be 'mash R3'
-22:17 the mouths aren't moving in this big cinematic clash
-faces look mass effect andromeda quality (ie 23:07 eivor)
-23:32 ground texture pop in, weird splash from people walking
-23:42 what the fuck is going on with that fire
-24:01 eivor glitching out
-glowing blue effect on quest NPCs you can talk to looks terrible
-23:37-clipping through movable shelf

Hopefully it's a pretty old build.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously stuff to do but as someone who loved Odyssey this looks like its right up my alley.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No amount of polish, watermarks or NDAs will change the core of the game that is on display in this video. What you see will largely be what you get.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
It's for sure early to judge but the core gameplay of Origins/Odyssey appears to be there and I was hoping for something different. I won't say I'm out or anything as this could be an old demo and things may change quite a bit from this to release.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if the lack of close proximity buildings is going to make the same AC3 naysayers cry.

Sorry, I'll never understand that sort of whining when we got interesting settings... that still had plenty of free running options.
The problem with AC3 wasn't just the wide streets, the cities themselves sucked too. Just a bunch of colonial buildings, recycled churches and trees for the viewpoints to climb, and muted color schemes.

Comparing New York in AC3 to the New York in Rouge and the difference is night and day. Rogue's New York looks significantly better, is much more enjoyable to play in, and more enjoyable to explore (improvements to the freerunning like hooks across streets made a huge difference).

Plus Origins was a huge pivot in the series that directly moved away from dense urban environments and freerunning and more toward full RPG and larger scale open worlds.
Whether people liked that change or not, by now they know what they're getting.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Coming from someone who is pretty excited for this game, this looks WAY less polished than Odyssey:

-Weirdly sliding onto the horse
-Getting knocked off of the horse looked bad
-the roll felt weirdly jerky
-glitchy animations on the battering ram
-the way the people were getting killed on the ram
-the player seems pretty bad at the game
-The breadcrumb path clipping through the bridge
-the dialogue choice UI looks like a placeholder
-parkouring over a box and they get stuck on the box
-15:10 weird popin/jerky animation when climbing
-player seems to just be tryung to brute force shield enemies instead of having a skill to deal with them ore ability to move around them
-battles just look like a complete mess, might just be player skill
-animations don't flow well into each other
-90% of the axes thrown on the thrown axes ability don't look like they hit anyone or are hitting her allies
-18:45 tons of npcs just standing around in the middle of a big battle
-Why the hell would you use 'RB' as the button in a mashing sequence? The only thing worse would be 'mash R3'
-22:17 the mouths aren't moving in this big cinematic clash
-faces look mass effect andromeda quality (ie 23:07 eivor)
-23:32 ground texture pop in, weird splash from people walking
-23:42 what the fuck is going on with that fire
-24:01 eivor glitching out
-glowing blue effect on quest NPCs you can talk to looks terrible
-23:37-clipping through movable shelf

Hopefully it's a pretty old build.

It's not out for months. The polishing and optimisation is done last. The build could be from last year, we have no idea.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they do a full AC revamp, and take their time for the next game. Would love a AC game set in the Roman Empire on next gen, built from the ground up.

gilles-beloeil-ac301-010.jpg

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Next time someone asks why a dev doesn't show gameplay before its ready this thread should be linked

Geeko

Oct 27, 2017
San Jose, CA
It's probably an earlier test build. Definitely missing a ton of polish. I'm sure if you enjoyed AC: Origins and Odyssey, you'll enjoy this one too.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Greek extras, wtf Ubi.
Oswald, who is mentioned often in this footage, and even shown, is Saxon. Those are saxons. Not too get too spoily, but simply put, Oswald wanted to unite the saxons and the Danes (vikings) under one kingdom. So in this part of the game, the Vikings seem to be working towards helping Oswald achieve his goal.

lcd

Jan 15, 2020
Footage looks excellent if this is a build lacking polish. Liking the castle seiges as I genuinely enjoyed Odyssey combat (not exactly dark souls but had quite a bit of depth) however hoping there's a cult like counterpart for sneaking around and doing assassinations, etc.

Perhaps irrationally so, but the most irritating bit of the footage for me was the clothing screen with the viking "pants".

How are people watching when all links are down?

There are still copies on youtube if you search.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Am I the only one that by now wouldn't mind if they just dropped creatures and monsters on AC games? Keep it as grounded as possible, no one cares about the current day, "genetic memory" angle anymore and it's not like the past 2 games didn't have any. Just embrace it.

Game looks cool IMO.

Honestly I think the entire series should be rebooted and the modern stuff taken out. It feels like an anchor at this point.

It has always been terrible and it's clear the developers have(and had) no clue what they were doing with it but seem unwilling to just exodus it completely. Their first next-gen only game would be a perfect time to reboot the series.

Also wouldn't mind them allowing some more fantasy/mysticism elements into the core game to shake things up. Would rather them use that catered to their period specific settings(the way Origins and Odyssey DLC plays with) than the uninteresting sci fi stuff.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really sure why some folks are jumping to the "work in progress" defense for this stuff. Ubisoft has been unusually skittish to show off this game
We're in the middle of a pandemic and we're literally one week from the official gameplay reveal of this game. On top of that, ever since AC:Syndicate e3 builds tend to be quite a bit rougher than the final product when it comes to AC. Articles have literally been written about my comparisons between e3 builds of AC and later footage. Frankly, we do the "this WIP footage looks rough and something something no soul" followed by shockpikachu.jpg review threads every year time there's a new AC, worse, this is a leak that lacks a ton of polish even compared to past AC demos with plentiful frame drops so it most likely was never meant to be shown to the public. :|