• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
3 feet down. Cover the body with rocks. Then put the soil in. Stops coyotes from digging it all up.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Most of these have been covered already:

Take care of your health. Start with good habits and you won't have as many issues later in life.

Be financially smart. Save early, invest early, and live within your means.

Have a plan. Always have a plan or goal you are working towards. It might change or you might even give up on it, but that's fine. It's more about planning than the actual plan.

Don't take things personally. The majority of the time it's not about you.

There is no right or wrong way to live. Life didn't come with a rulebook nor is there a test when it's over. You create your own purpose and meaning.

Sep 14, 2019
-Save as much money as you can (but leave enough for some fun here and there).

-If you feel there's something wrong (health) don't let doctor's dismiss things (and if they finally think something IS wrong, make sure you get tested before it's too late).

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
1-networking
2-networking
3-networking

If you are shy, you are fucked. Don't be.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 29 and this thread is so goddamn helpful. Time to drink some water, hit the gym, and invest in stocks

Yeah if your drinking sugary shit and sodas stop now. Water and exercise now so that you get used to it moving forward, if you start a family or hit a slump you probably gonna hit a stage where you end up not giving a shit and you start to gain weight and get that dad bod that's fine just get back on the exercise wagon before 40 before it only gets harder after. Save your knees and your back stay flexible starting now.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care about what other people think of you.

*YOU* are not whatever you majored in, whether or not you finished college, or what you do for a living. Life isn't a competition and people from high school or wherever will either overachieve or underachieve but what they do or don't do has no bearing on you.

On the flip side, be kind to people older than you who may not be as successful or as together as you are even in your 20s. I've found that a lot of young supervisors in their 20s who went to college, graduated on time, and did things "right", are not often very forgiving of their non-educated direct reports who may be anywhere from 20 to 60+. Everyone walks a different path and lots of people eventually learn that job titles and more money doesn't always mean more happiness.

edit:

Forgot to add that if you don't know what you want to be when you "grow up" that's okay and normal. People in their 50s and even 60s+ are often still trying to figure that out. The average person changes career fields some ridiculous number of times in their life.

Last edited:

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Take care of yourself. Physically and mentally.

You can't do shit if you're unhealthy and feeling shitty, whether it's body or mind. If you feel good, you'll be more motivated and literally have more energy to do things. You'll be far more productive at work, at home and keeping everything in balance.

It all starts with YOU. Put yourself first. Everything else will fall in place. If something doesn't benefit you or put you in a better position tomorrow, don't do it. Also, don't worry about 5 years from now, or even next year. Focus on just getting through the week or the day. Break everything down to 1 hour chunks. "What can I do in this hour" should be your mindset. Progress is iterative. If you stick to it, you'll be amazed at what you'll accomplish in a month or two.

But overall, start every day with a game plan. That includes hygiene and food. Everything should involve you maintaining YOU to the utmost degree. Good habits and routines will lead to a good life.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Exercise and eat right. You don't want to enter your thirties with avoidable health issues.

This. Just makes me wish that we're immune to health issues & in which we can eat anything we want.

Take care of yourself. Physically and mentally.

You can't do shit if you're unhealthy and feeling shitty, whether it's body or mind. If you feel good, you'll be more motivated and literally have more energy to do things. You'll be far more productive at work, at home and keeping everything in balance.

It all starts with YOU. Put yourself first. Everything else will fall in place. If something doesn't benefit you or put you in a better position tomorrow, don't do it. Also, don't worry about 5 years from now, or even next year. Focus on just getting through the week or the day. Break everything down to 1 hour chunks. "What can I do in this hour" should be your mindset. Progress is iterative. If you stick to it, you'll be amazed at what you'll accomplish in a month or two.

But overall, start every day with a game plan. That includes hygiene and food. Everything should involve you maintaining YOU to the utmost degree. Good habits and routines will lead to a good life.

Also this.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately your body has some pretty primal needs and you are not above these needs.

Exercise. Eat Well. Sleep well. Meditate. Maintain a social circle. Keep in touch with your spirituality.

I spent a lot of my 20's just being unaware of the above, I figured I'd just know when I wasn't doing something that I needed to be but I'd go into massive moods or periods where I'd feel like shit and not realise. Pay attention to these and everything will follow.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Early thirties here. Still have no idea who or what I am. Don't expect to magically figure it out because of age.

I'm still bumbling around. I apply to jobs that look interesting but I've no faith I'll get called for while self publishing a novel I've no idea how to advertise on a limited budget. I'm just as lost now as I was in my 20s and that's OK because not everyone follows the same path.

fushi

Oct 26, 2017
Keeping someone in your life who is occasionally toxic but otherwise nice is actually not really worth it, because you never truly know how badly this toxicity affects you.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Unfortunately your body has some pretty primal needs and you are not above these needs.

Exercise. Eat Well. Sleep well. Meditate. Maintain a social circle. Keep in touch with your spirituality.

I spent a lot of my 20's just being unaware of the above, I figured I'd just know when I wasn't doing something that I needed to be but I'd go into massive moods or periods where I'd feel like shit and not realise. Pay attention to these and everything will follow.
This is good advice, maybe the best in the thread. I too used to think I was the one in control and I could do whatever and I'd know when things were wrong. Oops, eating a lot of carbs makes me sleepy, not getting enough sleep makes me irritable and unable to focus, not working out makes me lethargic, not taking time to care for myself spiritually leads me to think darker thoughts, etc. etc.

Your body and mind are more like symbiotes living with you than your actual self. Take care of them and your heart will be able to translate itself more clearly

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
If you work your hardest and do everything right, you still might fail miserably.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
talk to a financial advisor

talk to a therapist. switch if one isn't clicking for you.

don't worry too much about what others are doing

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm 29 and this thread is so goddamn helpful. Time to drink some water, hit the gym, and invest in stocks

Best change in my life that I did with 28 (29 now) and I feel great (well except for having the flu the past week, but what can you do with all the stress I had lol)

So far I learned:

- a bit of exercise weekly (3-4 times, doesn't have to be bodybuilding, but exercising to get it moving, stretching etc.) will improve your life tenfold
- banning sugar out of my life was a nice surprise, I don't crave it anymore except if I am high as shit which is rare and I feel so much better
- drinking a ton of green tee improved my gut flora, inflammation also went down a ton
- traveling > every other thing I buy, gave me perspective and tons of new friends in the world
- learning...can be really fun if you know how to learn, I never really done that in my life and those past 9 months (learning japanese daily for at least an hour with the best ressources) and now I have fun learning and know how to use my brain more effectivly
- most people don't give a shit about you, but they don't mean harm, care about anyone that cares about you, but don't get grumpy if some people don't contact you for months - also reach out by yourself too
- not caring what anyone thinks what you like, even better if it's your passion
- loyality at your job is useless, don't give a fuck about your job unless it's your company, just do your job
- free time to yourself is also very important to improve yourself
- always having a goal that you want to reach is the most important thing
- try to shake up your daily routine so that days feel slower, make new experiences or change things up

Last edited:

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
- Helping others is its own reward.

- Being stuck as the shy/introvert individual isn't worth it. Something I noticed at the tail end of my 20s, as long as I had a good grasp of a certain subject, I didn't mind starting a conversation or giving advice, for better or for worse :P

- Letting shit go, not holding grudges, it's really not worth the stress.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
To not care too much about work. It's only few hours of my daily lifetime I must sell to be able to do more interesting things the rest of the time.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
Learning that you'll drift away from people and friends as you get older and families get formed. I'm married with no kids and learning not take things personally is important. You're still friends and even though you might not see people as often it's OK to move on. You can reconnect with them later.... or not but you'll always be able to cherish your memories with them as they are a part of you.

This is my biggest gripe with being 31. Missing my friends.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Stop comparing yourself with others around you and you'll be the happiest person ever. Also learning to see the best in people and putting yourself in their shoes helps you avoid all conflicts.

Other than that I don't remember most of my 20s and early 30s, I was hardly ever sober.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Gonna do a quick list to add to my earlier post:

- Don't spend money you don't have. Try not to rely on credit cards or accumulate unnecessary debt. Be prudent with your money, but don't deprive yourself totally. Have some fun. But be reasonable with your purchases. You'll learn that most material shit isn't worth having. "Collecting" is a waste of money, unless you can actually afford it. Speaking of which, learn the difference between "affording" something versus merely paying for shit. Don't buy that new game if it means you gotta eat ramen for the next 6 days.

- Use the internet and social media as a tool. Technology can be incredibly resourceful or very detrimental. I see all of this stuff as a means to make my life simpler and network with people, whether it's professionally or socially. But don't invest too much time or mental real estate into this shit. Social media can be the fucking devil. It reinforces way too many negative and toxic ideas that you're better off not dealing with. Forums too. As I've gotten older, I spend less time on gaming forums. ERA is cool, but there's a lot of stupid ass drama here too that I simply cannot be bothered with. I got more important shit to do. Y'all do too.

- You are a product of your environment, even as an adult. Who you hang out with and associate will have some sort of influence on your life and habits. So if you hang out with folks who work out a lot and eat well, you probably will to. If you hang out with achievers, you'll likely be motivated to achieve. If you hang out with literal crack heads...well...You get the idea. Choose your friends and peer group wisely.

- Be nice to people. This is very important. It literally cost nothing to be nice. Plus, you never know who you're being nice too. You don't know what someone is going through. A simple hello, smile or kind gesture could make someone's day. I've had people tell me that my seemingly forgettable act of kindness stopped them from commiting suicide that day. It's simple. Just treat people the way you'd want to be treated. They teach you this shit in Kindergarten. Just be a decent human being. It goes a long way. But that doesn't mean being a door mat or letting people fuck with though. Stand your ground and defend yourself when necessary. Just don't burn bridges and tell the world to kiss your ass all the time.

- This one might be anecdotal and mostly for straight men, but I'll say it anyway. It's good to have women as platonic friends. The vast majority of my friends are women. You'll learn a helluva lot just by being around them and listening to them. In time, you'll appreciate and truly respect the bullshit they go through. That's not to say we (men) don't have our own societal problems. But women face a lot of stuff, that is largely not talked about nearly enough or at all. You'll grow as a man and be a better one for it. But just like any peers, when it comes to relationships, being romantic/ sexual, the wrong woman will royally fuck your life up. Don't be in a hurry to get your dick wet or get married. Chill the fuck out. It's cliché as hell, but there are PLENTY of fish in the sea. The right lady companion will show up eventually. Dating is a numbers game. Don't stress out too much about it.

Addendum: Speaking of women, I can't speak for all of them of course, but one thing most women seek is stability. They sure as hell don't want to take care of or raise a grown ass man. Also, they don't need you to save them. Trust me, don't have that attitude. It's very off putting. She can take care of herself, or least, should be able to. If not, she isn't worth your time either. So as long as you take care of yourself, have your shit together or on a clear path on getting it together, someone will notice. Again, women are great at picking up on really subtle queues and hints that most men just ignore. We tend to look at the bigger picture, while our female counterparts focus on underlying details and minutia. I'm aware it's a generalization, but it's something I've noticed in my encounters with people.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'm turning 30 soon. I would say if you're feeling shit about your job or city or housing situation, don't let fear of the unknown stop you from moving elsewhere for work or just a fresh start. As soon as I got out of the rut things have only gotten better.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i learned nothing in my 20s, or in my 30s.

like, what the hell is investing? how do people do that? i gamble what little i can on sports and stuff but thats about it.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Learn what it is you're passionate about career wise as early as possible.

Take your time finding the right person.

Take care of your health.

Don't get married and have kids until you're as ready as possible mentally, physically and financially.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
"No matter where you go, there you are."

This was my quote in my senior high school yearbook, and it wasn't until I was in my late 20s that I truly understood what it meant.

I've lived all over the United States and overseas. Every time I went someplace new, I thought that maybe it would be different or I could remake myself anew. But it never really works out that way, because the only constant is you. You still bring all your behaviors, attitudes, and foibles with you and unless you work to address those things within yourself, the change of scenery and people doesn't matter. Eventually the novelty of a new place wears off and you'll still be you. No matter where you go, there you are.
this quote really resonated with me. i thought about it all day yesterday.

I'm 24, pushing 25 with the feeling that I've wasted the first half of my 20s and in the fall I'm hoping to move out of the state i've lived in my whole life to move to a new city with hopes that it will change me. But this quote is so true, I'll still be me in a new city.

I should really start going to therapy and working some of my shit out before I move so I can have a chance at actually changing myself there.
Best change in my life that I did with 28 (29 now) and I feel great (well except for having the flu the past week, but what can you do with all the stress I had lol)

So far I learned:

- traveling > every other thing I buy, gave me perspective and tons of new friends in the world
- learning...can be really fun if you know how to learn, I never really done that in my life and those past 9 months (learning japanese daily for at least an hour with the best ressources) and now I have fun learning and know how to use my brain more effectivly
i need to travel...i feel like i've never been anywhere...but fear and money stop me. it sucks.

as to the learning thing, i always feel like i was never taught how to learn. there are things i want to try but learning is hard if you don't know how to go about it
Gonna do a quick list to add to my earlier post:

- Don't spend money you don't have. Try not to rely on credit cards or accumulate unnecessary debt. Be prudent with your money, but don't deprive yourself totally. Have some fun. But be reasonable with your purchases. You'll learn that most material shit isn't worth having. "Collecting" is a waste of money, unless you can actually afford it. Speaking of which, learn the difference between "affording" something versus merely paying for shit. Don't buy that new game if it means you gotta eat ramen for the next 6 days.

- Use the internet and social media as a tool. Technology can be incredibly resourceful or very detrimental. I see all of this stuff as a means to make my life simpler and network with people, whether it's professionally or socially. But don't invest too much time or mental real estate into this shit. Social media can be the fucking devil. It reinforces way too many negative and toxic ideas that you're better off not dealing with. Forums too. As I've gotten older, I spend less time on gaming forums. ERA is cool, but there's a lot of stupid ass drama here too that I simply cannot be bothered with. I got more important shit to do. Y'all do too.

- You are a product of your environment, even as an adult. Who you hang out with and associate will have some sort of influence on your life and habits. So if you hang out with folks who work out a lot and eat well, you probably will to. If you hang out with achievers, you'll likely be motivated to achieve. If you hang out with literal crack heads...well...You get the idea. Choose your friends and peer group wisely.

- Be nice to people. This is very important. It literally cost nothing to be nice. Plus, you never know who you're being nice too. You don't know what someone is going through. A simple hello, smile or kind gesture could make someone's day. I've had people tell me that my seemingly forgettable act of kindness stopped them from commiting suicide that day. It's simple. Just treat people the way you'd want to be treated. They teach you this shit in Kindergarten. Just be a decent human being. It goes a long way. But that doesn't mean being a door mat or letting people fuck with though. Stand your ground and defend yourself when necessary. Just don't burn bridges and tell the world to kiss your ass all the time.

- This one might be anecdotal and mostly for straight men, but I'll say it anyway. It's good to have women as platonic friends. The vast majority of my friends are women. You'll learn a helluva lot just by being around them and listening to them. In time, you'll appreciate and truly respect the bullshit they go through. That's not to say we (men) don't have our own societal problems. But women face a lot of stuff, that is largely not talked about nearly enough or at all. You'll grow as a man and be a better one for it. But just like any peers, when it comes to relationships, being romantic/ sexual, the wrong woman will royally fuck your life up. Don't be in a hurry to get your dick wet or get married. Chill the fuck out. It's cliché as hell, but there are PLENTY of fish in the sea. The right lady companion will show up eventually. Dating is a numbers game. Don't stress out too much about it.

Addendum: Speaking of women, I can't speak for all of them of course, but one thing most women seek is stability. They sure as hell don't want to take care of or raise a grown ass man. Also, they don't need you to save them. Trust me, don't have that attitude. It's very off putting. She can take care of herself, or least, should be able to. If not, she isn't worth your time either. So as long as you take care of yourself, have your shit together or on a clear path on getting it together, someone will notice. Again, women are great at picking up on really subtle queues and hints that most men just ignore. We tend to look at the bigger picture, while our female counterparts focus on underlying details and minutia. I'm aware it's a generalization, but it's something I've noticed in my encounters with people.
have you posted this before in another thread? i feel like i've read this before. regardless, still great advice imo

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Patience. It's too easy to compare yourself to what other put out on social media etc. (especially if you are in a creative field). It takes time to master something, don't feel down about not being there today.

On the other hand, be bold and take chances. Nobody is going to do things for you.

I always found networking and mingling to be awkward and a drag, it's too fake for me. Look at it as making new friends instead, don't talk about work, have fun. The bond will be stronger and you'll trust each other more.

Exposure doesn't pay your rent.

In a creative project, the best way to get the best work out of people, is to give them free reigns. They'll feel a greater ownership to the project and push themselves much more. You do need a good environment for it to happen though, so make it a safe space, get rid of energy vampires (in your life too) and trust people.

Forgive yourself.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My two things kind of contradict.

1. You don't need another person to go to a movie, restaurant, concert, etc. You can have fun alone.

2. Connections rule the world. Your success is strongly based on who you know. Think smaller though. Not like meeting CEOs or shit like that though, more like knowing a guy with a truck or someone who is great at baking.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Love will not come to you, you must seek it out if you wish to obtain it.

Maldonado don't sleep on continued education: going back to school, earning certifications, etc are all something to do and will help with job hunting.

don't get content with your job:keep that resume up to date and always be loooing for a promotion, transfer or new opportunity.

there is no shame in asking for help.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
this quote really resonated with me. i thought about it all day yesterday.

I'm 24, pushing 25 with the feeling that I've wasted the first half of my 20s and in the fall I'm hoping to move out of the state i've lived in my whole life to move to a new city with hopes that it will change me. But this quote is so true, I'll still be me in a new city.

I should really start going to therapy and working some of my shit out before I move so I can have a chance at actually changing myself there.

i need to travel...i feel like i've never been anywhere...but fear and money stop me. it sucks.

as to the learning thing, i always feel like i was never taught how to learn. there are things i want to try but learning is hard if you don't know how to go about it

have you posted this before in another thread? i feel like i've read this before. regardless, still great advice imo

Nope. Wrote all this today. And thank you :)

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
That i have the right to live my life however i see fit and that i don't have to give a single fuck about what others think of it as long as i'm not hurting anybody.

Basically, i realised that constantly wondering what others might think of me was wearing me down and that i was better off doing my thing and ignore them. I'm much more happy that way.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
One more:

Learn how to RESPOND to situations rather than REACT. If you stop and think before you do or say anything, most of the time, you'll make a good and informed decision. Be objective and rational, and don't act purely on impulse or emotion. It doesn't mean invoking the scientific method for every little situation. Just be mindful of what the consequences will be from everything you do. Look at all matters through the lens of cost and benefit. As I said earlier, everything you do should put yourself in a better position. "Cost" isn't just monetary. It's time, energy, resources or even feelings. If the "cost" is less than the benefit, chances are, you shouldn't invest in that decision.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I chose "fun jobs" and "fun careers" over being part of the system, now I am actively trying to be part of the system. 9-5, vacation days, pension, sick days and security looking pretty hawt after years of being on call, no overtime pay, layoffs and fear.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
- This one might be anecdotal and mostly for straight men, but I'll say it anyway. It's good to have women as platonic friends. The vast majority of my friends are women. You'll learn a helluva lot just by being around them and listening to them. In time, you'll appreciate and truly respect the bullshit they go through. That's not to say we (men) don't have our own societal problems. But women face a lot of stuff, that is largely not talked about nearly enough or at all. You'll grow as a man and be a better one for it.

This. I'll add it has helped me demystify women and get rid of some latent benevolent sexism (girls are purer than guys etc.).