• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Switch has:

• Truly blown me away and has greatly exceeded my expectations

Votes: 929 44.5%
  • Slightly exceeded my expectations.

Votes: 430 20.6%
  • Met my expectations

Votes: 293 14.0%
  • Slightly fallen short of my expectations

Votes: 348 16.7%
  • Astounded me at how terrible it is, and has greatly fallen short of my expectations

Votes: 87 4.2%

• Total voters

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The hardware issues for me knock it down a few pegs, honestly. It's weird coming off of so many solid devices to get multiple controllers plagued by drift and in handheld mode it genuinely feels uncomfortable to me, personally.

I also think it's Nintendo's worst handling of their legacy... Ever. I'd have rather had a regularly updated Virtual Console instead of whatever NES and SNES Online are, although in an ideal world we'd get both, with games from the former being cycled in and out of the latter, Game Pass style.

Really, if it weren't for third parties and indies, I think I'd be a lot more sour on the Switch as a whole, especially after the bombastic year that was 2017 where it seemed like the sky was the limit.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
My switch is a professional dust collector. But I knew it would be. It's hard to say I'm really disappointed when I don't really care for the hardware in the first place.

I don't buy Nintendo franchises, I only buy exclusive jrpgs, and in that respect, it hasn't been great. Octopath was a let down, xeno 2 was too long and filled with frustrations. Fire emblem was a great entry at least. It's the only game I still own for the system until Brigandine comes out.

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
Well, it's become my most played console, and has racked up the largest library of games I've owned to date, so I'll just say that it's done well by me. In many cases I'll wait to see if a game will come to Switch before buying it, because the added portability usually trumps the hit that the game may take from a technical standpoint when it makes the jump.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Yes and no.
Great library, amazing console/handheld hybrid.

Terrible build quality. The drifting joy cons are the worst thing Nintendo has ever done on a competing platform. I'm on my third set after two repairs and within a week of receiving them they drift. Now I can't play handheld and COVID is keeping me from sending them in.

Needs more retro games. The NES and SNES apps are terrific but they are slow to update and there needs to be more consoles. Otherwise their paid online isn't worth it.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I enjoyed the Wii and Wii U more but I still love my switch for the most part, I think the original games on those other systems were a bit better and the switch has problems with the joy-con build quality.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The way I use my Switch, I'll go on long periods where I don't touch it, mostly months. Then I'll play it heavily. But I will say that I've gotten my money's worth from it. I wouldn't claim it to be the greatest thing since slice bread, though.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
The way I use my Switch, I'll go on long periods where I don't touch it, mostly months. Then I'll play it heavily. But I will say that I've gotten my money's worth from it. I wouldn't claim it to be the greatest thing since slice bread, though.

This is pretty much the same for me. I haven't had a home Nintendo console since the Gamecube, and though there have been some games I've liked, the only one I can say has made the system worth purchasing was Thee Houses.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm put "met my expectations" but that is NOT a bad thing. I always expect to have my mind blown by Nintendo.

And Switch does do that, as much as their other systems. But there are a few things about it that keep it from reaching the next level - it just lacks a certain charm that DS, Wii, 3DS, and Wii U had in their OS. And the Joycons, while a perfect idea, were not executed upon quite well enough from a durability standpoint.

I do, however, love everything else about the device. It's my favorite hardware right now.

The third party support has been far better than expected too.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I expected more from it. It feels like the game I most enjoy and most anticipate are just WiiU games (BOTW, Mario Kart, Tokyo Mirage Session, Captain Toad...) Fire Emblem was the outlier and I had a blast with it though and I still need to get around to play Mario Odyssey and Link's Awakening.

i expect the release of SMT V to change my perspective.

Yeah basically this for me as well.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
C- for me.

-Super Mario Oddysey is the first Mario game I've purchased since Paper Mario (or Super Mario 64, if we're discussing platformers), and the experience is meddling. It isn't a bad game but it isn't terribly interesting either. My senses actually feel overwhelmed when I play this game because of the abundance of shit in each world and the sheer number of moons. As my first Mario platformer in decades, I feel extremely disappointed.
-Continued steep video game prices. Par the course for Nintendo but I'll never like this fact.
-Outside of Oddysey and Breath of the Wild, no other original Nintendo game on the system has interested me, which is frustrating because I see no reason to own a Nintendo system unless it's mostly for Nintendo games.
-With the above point in mind, no new Metroid title has released on the console. And what's sad is that what would make this console even better for me is a re-release of old games, that being the Metroid Prime Trilogy, yet that still has not happened (if ever).
-With the above point in mind, the store not having GBA games is frustrating. This god damn Switch is perfect to replay all those older GBA games (and DS), but they're nowhere to be seen (unless I haven't been in the loop and they're in a store now?).

You know what game I've been considering most for this console? Alien: Isolation. This is a game I've purchased and beaten on PC and PS4 several times over, yet it's the only title the console has that interests me at the moment. Although the rumors of re-releasing older Mario games does appeal to me. Hopefully that comes to fruition. I never experienced the Galaxy games, but would like to.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I've used the Switch more than my PS4 over the last year. That is nuts to me but I always knew I would get more use out of the Switch than previous Nintendo consoles simply due to the portability of it. The Switch is basically a Vita replacement with much better first party support and the added ability to connect it to the TV.

Nov 14, 2017
Kinda. The concept is very cool and it has very good first party games, but the releases have definitely slowed down (from the perspective of someone who owns a Wii U and as played the majority of the Switch ports).

I see it mainly as a portable console because the visual quality on 4K TVs is not great, but the ergonomics are bad. I cannot play for long times (the console is too heavy and makes my hands hurt - the Switch Lite is much better in this department).

For people who spend most of their day outside of the house, I guess the console is very good. For me, it's okay. Until now I think I have used my PS Vita much more than my Switch.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
I can imagine that if I ever owned a Wii U, I would probably be disappointed in the Switch. Since I never did, and it's my preferred home for indies (the majority of my gaming), I absolutely love it. The Switch and PS4 are probably my two favorite consoles of all time (going back to NES).

They do need to update some of the social features (invites, achievements, etc). I think that's my only complaint. So I'll leave with a pic of my humble Switch physical collection (and Injustice 2, for some reason). I easily have at least 2x this many games downloaded from the eShop as well.

9fSjlZu.jpg

I see it mainly as a portable console because the visual quality on 4K TVs is not great, but the ergonomics are bad. I cannot play for long times (the console is too heavy and makes my hands hurt - the Switch Lite is much better in this department).

The Satisfye grip is a must.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's by far the neatest console out there. I'll usually double dip on PC games I really like to get a physical copy for the switch. I chose "met my expectations" because it's pretty much exactly what I thought it'd be, but what that is, is pretty cool.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Surpassed my expectations the moment the Switcher 3 released. Might look like shit, but never would've expected a game like it on a handheld this gen.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Im amazed people think this is a strong list of 1st party titles coming off the back of the Wii U. Yes, if you didn't have one it's strong but people did. This does not add up to what Nintendo's studios should be putting out. So many ports there and I would hardly call the majority of that AAA

Actually I had Wii U and I want even more Wii U ports on Switch (I want 3D World, Pikmin3 and Zelda WW/TP HD on Switch), I want system on which will great Nintendo games in any case.
People did had Wii U, but only 13.5m users, Switch already has more than 4x bigger install base than Wii U had at end.

Last edited:

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Not sure whether this is a list of Nintendo published games or Nintendo developed, but octopath traveller and Tokyo mirage sessions are both Nintendo published retail released titles. (Octopath is a little handwavy to call a Nintendo title of course)

Torna the golden country too, if you want to count it since it got a separate retail release from xenoblade 2.

Sushi striker as well.

Thanks, I put Tokyo mirage sessions, Torna the golden country, so list for 1st 3 years look like this:

-1, 2 Switch,
-Snipperclips
-Zelda BotW
-ARMS
-MK8D
-Splatoon 2
-Fire Emblem Warriors
-Hyrule Warriors: Definitive
-Mario Odyssey
-Xenoblade Chronicles 2
-Labo
-Bayonetta 2
-Pokemon Lets Go
-Mario Tennis Aces
-Kirby Star Allies
-Yoshi's Crafted World
-Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
-Super Mario Maker 2
-New Super Mario Bros. DX
-Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
-Super Mario Party
-Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
-Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
-Luigi's Mansion 3
-Astral Chain
-Sushi Striker
-Torna the Golden Country
-Captains Toad Treasure Tracker
-Ring Adventure
-Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch
-Fire Emblem Three Houses
-Pokemon Shield and Sword
-Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
-Tokyo Mirage Sessions
-Animal Crossing New Horizons

35 retail games, so that would mean around 12 games per year, so one game per month.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The weak 1st party resonses are baffling. Like compared to what?

Looking at aligned "full retail" 1st party produced or co-produced global releases on every system this decade for their first 3 years:

Nintendo 3DS
  • Nintendogs + Cats
  • Pilotwings Resort
  • Steel Diver
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  • Star Fox 64 3D
  • Pokémon Rumble Blast
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir
  • Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone
  • Mario Tennis Open
  • Nintendo Pocket Football Club
  • Brain Age: Concentrating Training
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Style Savvy: Trendsetters
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
  • Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
  • Tomodachi Life
  • Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
  • Pokémon X / Y
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • Mario Party: Island Tour
  • Kirby: Triple Deluxe
  • Fossil Fighters: Frontier
  • Yoshi's New Island
PS Vita
  • Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
  • Little Deviants
  • ModNations Racers: Road Trip
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • Wipeout 2048
  • MLB12: The Show
  • Unit 13
  • Reality Fighters
  • Resistance: Burning Skies
  • Gravity Rush
  • LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
  • Smart As...
  • PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale
  • Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
  • MLB13: The Show
  • Soul Sacrifice
  • Jak & Daxter Collection
  • Killzone: Mercenary
  • Invizimals: The Alliance
  • Tearaway
  • MLB14: The Show
  • Borderlands 2
  • God of War Collection
  • The Sly Collection
  • Ratchet & Clank Collection
  • Freedom Wars
  • Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
  • Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
  • Disney's The Muppets: Movie Adventures
  • LittleBigPlanet 3
Wii U
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Nintendo Land
  • Sing Party!
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Game & Wario
  • Pikmin 3
  • The Wonderful 101
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
  • Wii Party U
  • Wii Fit U
  • Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Bayonetta 2 / Bayonetta
  • Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
  • Mario Party 10
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Splatoon
  • Yoshi's Wooly World
  • Art Academy: Home Studio
  • Devil's Third
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival
  • Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
PlayStation 4
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall
  • Knack
  • inFamous: Second Son
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • Driveclub
  • The Order: 1886
  • Bloodborne
  • MLB15: The Show
  • God of War III Remastered
  • Until Dawn
  • Tearaway Unfolded
  • Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
  • Gravity Rush Remastered
  • Heavy Rain & Beyond: Two Souls Collection
  • MLB16: The Show
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • PlayStation VR Worlds
  • RIGS: Mechanized Combat League
Xbox One
  • Dead Rising 3
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • Zoo Tycoon
  • Kinect Sports: Rivals
  • Killer Instinct
  • Forza Horizon 2
  • Dance Central Spotlight
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • ScreamRide
  • Fantasia: Music Evolved
  • Rare Replay
  • State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
  • Forza Motorsport 6
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Quantum Break
  • ReCore
  • Forza Horizon 3
  • Gears of War 4
Nintendo Switch
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • 1-2-Switch
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Arms
  • Splatoon 2
  • Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  • Pokkén Tournament DX
  • Fire Emblem Warriors
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Bayonetta 2 / Bayonetta
  • Kirby: Star Allies
  • Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
  • Nintendo Labo: Toy-Con 01 - Variety Kit
  • Nintendo Labo: Toy-Con 02 - Robot Kit
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Sushi Striker: Way of the Sushido
  • Mario Tennis Aces
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  • Nintendo Labo: Toy-Con 03 - Vehicle Kit
  • Super Mario Party
  • Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! / Let's Go, Evee!
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
  • Yoshi's Crafted World
  • Nintendo Labo: Toy-Con 04 - VR Kit
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • Astral Chain
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • Ring Fit Adventure
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Pokémon Sword / Shield
  • Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
The weak 1st party resonses are baffling. Like compared to what?

Looking at aligned "full retail" 1st party produced or co-produced global releases on every system this decade for their first 3 years:

PlayStation 4
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall
  • Knack
  • inFamous: Second Son
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • Driveclub
  • The Order: 1886
  • Bloodborne
  • MLB15: The Show
  • God of War III Remastered
  • Until Dawn
  • Tearaway Unfolded
  • Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
  • Gravity Rush Remastered
  • Heavy Rain & Beyond: Two Souls Collection
  • MLB16: The Show
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • PlayStation VR Worlds
  • RIGS: Mechanized Combat League

So you're telling me the "port problem" is worse on the PS4 (plus all those MLB games) than it is on the Switch?

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Its really great. My only complaint is that the build quality of the controllers is (was?) absolute rubbish in a way I never would have expected from Nintendo.

What truly makes me smile is how much of both the Vita and WiiU is here and living on via the Switch, and its just flat out better in every way. I know these topics tend to split down ideological/fanboy lines, but as someone who has owned every Nintendo/Sony console/handheld, I can say without any kind of bias that the Vita and WiiU were both ahead of their time and the Switch is proof of that.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
It has had far more 3rd party support than I ever expected...
Also it has had far less 3rd party support than I ever expected

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
For me it hasn´t lived up to any potential. I am not interested in the handheld mode at all, the hardware was already underpowered at launch and it shows in many games, even the first party games have compromises at every corner to maintain their performance.

the Nintendo games were mostly a disappointment too, didn´t really like BotW, Arms was fun for 2 weeks, Splatoon 2 was Splatoon 1 but badder, Odyssey was fun for an hour, after that it became old, Octopath was bad, Astral Chain not exactly what i wanted from Platinum, Fire Emblem like a premium mobile game with its small maps and so on. i am not into Pokemon or Animal Crossing so there is not much else left.
third party software doesn´t interest me because it is mostly ports of games i´ve already played or time exclusive indies that come to the other consoles sooner or later. things like Katana Zero are total exceptions.

the joycons are terrible to hold and play with and the drift makes you wonder why they are charging premium for such cheaply made hardware. the pricing of the whole device and accessoires is really expensive too, Nintendo is like the Apple of gaming nowadays.
the Pro Controller has also a really awful Dpad and the left stick grinds on the plastic because it travels too far in any direction. it feels also cheaply made and the best thing about it is the battery.

Wifi is a complete joke with this device, you basically have to use a ethernet adapter and that is ridiculous for an internet enabled device in the end of the 2010s.

Nintendo Online...is a joke too.

the baddest thing is that there is nothing more predictable than Nintendo, you know exactly what you get and if those games turn out not so great for someone you are basically stuck with a device that has no real use.

don´t get me wrong, cool when people love this thing and i can really understand it, especially with children it is surely
a whole different experience for example.i loved my NES and SNES as a kid but Nintendo was not my thing since the N64, i thought i try it again 20 years later and nope, not for me anymore.

for me it is a premium dust catcher and i am debating about selling it in the next few weeks because i haven´t played with it for a few months again.

Last edited:

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
It's been fine. The system has some pretty sizable build quality issues that I've run into over the past three years but there's been some really great games too.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Console design is brilliant, and while Odyssey and BOTW were truly monumental moments... three years later some 3 things keep it from living up to it's potential.
  • Expected more consistent first party releases with consolidation of 3DS/WiiU development into one platform. But so far there's sporadic droughts.
  • Too many mobile-ish games clogging up the eShop. I'm so tired of pixel-art shooters and puzzles and so on.
  • Bad decisions with online games/code like still using friends codes and needing Switch Online phone app for chatting.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
My launch Switch is still a tank and has survived a couple of drops. Joycons haven't drifted yet either.

I expected more from it than most people did at the time and it's surpassed those expectations; it's mostly what I wanted from a new Nintendo machine. Could use some organizational tools, like folders, a more accurate activity log, and themes. I also wish it met developers' needs just a little more. Not that I need FF7R or RDR2 (even though the latter is not impossible), but for stuff like RE 7, 2remake and 3remake, DMC5, etc. The payoff would've been worth it not just for 3rd parties, but for Nintendo themselves.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
I pre-ordered a Switch before launch and I doubt i'll do that for a Switch 2(or Switch Pro, or w/e). I think the system as a whole is probably 80% of what I expected, I thought Nintendo would get their online in order and we'd get more 3rd party support than we have. The handheld mode is really cool but also absurdly uncomfortable(and not remotely pocketable), which is a knock on it. I dont think Nintendo could have nailed the portable stuff to my satisfaction without hamstringing the power of the system even further but I'm still left with a portable console more so than a "true" stuff-it-in-your-pocket kind of thing like the DS Lite/GBA/etc. But really I just dont have any desire to play most games on the Switch over my PC(and doubly so for any kind of 3D game that will undoubtedly run at 30FPS). Nintendo first party stuff has been very solid and their dedication to 60FPS in some games is very appreciated but at the end of the day I'd simply rather have the flexibility of my PC(and streaming to my phone, my ipad, my TV, etc) over being locked into the Switch ecosystem, and it's very hard for me to justify dropping "new console" money on something like the Switch again. I thought it'd be different enough to kind of grab me and make me want to play different things, but in reality I just break it out for the usual Nintendo franchises and then go back to the PC for anything else.

I dont regret buying a Switch, but I'm also not perfectly satisfied by it either.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Lack of 1st party big hand options, slower than molasses work on porting older generation Nintendo classics and no "Switch Sports" really make the Switch unappealing to me. Not to mention their online network which is generations behind. I think they'll get there eventually, but it will be near the tail end of the Switch family's life cycle (2026+) which is a real shame.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic library of titles to play. The snappiest and fastest UI of all current consoles, and the sounds of how things click is super satisfying. Updated are surprisingly fast and painless for most games. I've enjoyed the switch a ton.

However they missed the boat in terms of fully taking advantage of the joycons. They packed so much tech in there but it baaaarely got used. I was expecting more games to take advantage of it. 1-2 switch showed so much potential promise. An adventure puzzle game that was built strictly for switch could take so much advantage of it. Hell a Zelda game could build amazing puzzles around it but BotW barely scratched the surface

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The most versatile platform I've ever owned which is perfect for a busy life.

Play on TV then TV is reclaimed by family members and you keep playing in the garden or in the bedroom. Playing very easily with lots of friends. Software is good.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
It has had some really fantastic games, and the ability to undock even for just around the house has been fantastic. I really wish every console offered some way to have that experience (And it seems like we might be getting there with streaming eventually).

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
all my consoles were complementary to my PC until the Switch

Now my PC is complementary to my Switch, to the point where I actually wait for a Switch port ( Hollow Knight, La Mulana 2, Dead Cells ) and even games that I couldn't even imagine it would exist like Panzer Dragon remake.

I had huge expectations for the switch, yet it somehow it surpassed it. Dragon's Dogma? FFVII? ALL classic Street Fighters? DMC III?
I can play a lot of greatest hits plus nintendo's portable games and console games.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
For most people I would say it has fulfilled 95% of its potential. For my personal expectations somewhere between 70% and 80%.

The Switch is selling well because it suits the lifestyle people want out of dedicated gaming devices.
The Switch resolved the dry spell issues associated with Nintendo's console lines while having so many indie games that make up for their reduction in smaller 1st party titles and thus reaching a satisfactory equilibrium for everyone.
The Switch offers tangible gaming features not found on other platforms that really helps push gaming hardware forward.

The one thing the Switch doesn't do well for the masses that they should and could do better is in their social features. The social features from either the Wii, 3DS or the Wii U weren't carried forward and it's odd they completely abandoned such good ideas instead of porting or revising them.
Also the joycon drift issue is another really bizarre problem to continue having considering their obvious ability to make controllers that don't bug out like this in the past.
This one problem makes it harder to their enjoy games even with their lengthy replacement program.

For my personal tastes I have 3 areas of frustration. The joycon issues which has forced me to buy a ton of 3rd party options. There isn't a suitable displayport adapter option. The battery life is underwhelming.

On top of that I am concerned about their plans for their Switch plus model. That will be released but I don't think it will suit the level of improvement in performance that I want and know Tegra chips are capable of. On top of that I don't think Nintendo won't offer the option to pay more for graphene batteries.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Game wise, it gave me Smash Ultimate with GCN controller support so I'm very happy. It also has a sprinkling of other games I've enjoyed and I'm excited for BOTW2 as long as it's reined in and focused.

The hardware itself is a unique idea since it can be docked or handheld. Don't care about the joy-cons and the Pro controller isn't bad. The o/s while simple and easy to use, is lacking basic features (1080p UI, Bluetooth audio, folders, etc) and the online just isn't great IMO.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I've been gaming since the SNES. The Switch got me back into gaming full throttle. As I've gotten older I've been more inclined to game portably and being able to play so many games and ports in this way is a revelation. It's exactly what I wanted after the Wii U. The first party lineup has also been fantastic, especially Smash Ultimate, which is my all time favorite game with a dream roster that would seem like a ridiculous Deviantart mock-up back in the Brawl days. It got me into Animal Crossing as well. There's a good chance it ends up being my favorite Nintendo system by the end of its cycle.

My only real disappointment are the handling of Pokemon and lack of DK and Mario RPG games - both old and new!

lightning16

May 17, 2019
It's the least confident I've ever been in a piece of hardware produced by Nintendo with the drift issue being pretty bad and stopping me completely from picking up the Lite which I otherwise would've been somewhat interested in, but the console also completely reignited my love for gaming. I play more games a year now than I did in probably the 5 or so years combined before the Switch released. It's exceeded my expectations overall.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
My only real disappointment are the handling of Pokemon and lack of DK and Mario RPG games - both old and new!

Agree with the Mario RPG complaint.
On previous generations that was not a problem at all. Now it's going to be 4 years since the last orignal one...

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
The joycon and pro controller drift is really terrible. I can't even use my Switch anymore. Besides that the games have been decent. Nothing has topped BotW so far. Glad I still have my ps4.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Agree with the Mario RPG complaint.
On previous generations that was not a problem at all. Now it's going to be 4 years since the last orignal one...

The traditional Paper Mario rumors give me some hope at least. If we can get that and SMRPG on the SNES app I'll be in hog heaven.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing that stopped me from giving it top marks here is the lack of cohesive and modern online experience and misuse of the Nintendo back catalogue. The account systems still feel like a mess, the e shop somehow still feel sparse even if there are thousands of games on it, the continuity from previous systems feels messy and incomplete, which I know is something Sony struggles with too, with the PS4 and previous generations worth of content.... The online experience could've been so much more with a combination of a better user experience and interface, a more complete and continuous virtual Console experience from prior generations, and a clearer system for account management right within the system UI.

The hardware I am very happy with aside from how small the joy cons feel when you have to use them on their own.

also, there's no way anyone can say with a straight face that the OS doesn't feel half baked in terms of presentation and user interface. I'm very glad that it's zippy, but I'm looking forward to a more feature complete version 2.0 of the whole thing that has more polish and wow factor.

GenericJoe

Oct 27, 2017
I love all the variety of great titles produced for the DS and 3DS, but I hate actually playing on handhelds. So combining console and handheld sounded great in theory because it meant being able to play the equivalent of a DS/3DS library on the TV. Except it didn't work out like that at all because all of the games I liked on DS and 3DS ceased to exist on Switch. And I couldn't care less about playing old ports of games I already own on the PS4, since I hate playing on handheld. So Switch has been a massive disappointment for me because it basically killed off lower budget handheld games.