• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
20190724-emmett-till-3x2.jpg

Via ProPublica

Three University of Mississippi students have been suspended from their fraternity house and face possible investigation by the Department of Justice after posing with guns in front of a bullet-riddled sign honoring slain civil rights icon Emmett Till.

One of the students posted a photo to his private Instagram account in March showing the trio in front of a roadside plaque commemorating the site where Till's body was recovered from the Tallahatchie River. The 14-year-old black youth was tortured and murdered in August 1955. An all-white, all-male jury acquitted two white men accused of the slaying.

The photo, which was obtained by the Mississippi Center for Investigative Reporting and ProPublica, shows an Ole Miss student named Ben LeClere holding a shotgun while standing in front of the bullet-pocked sign. His Kappa Alpha fraternity brother, John Lowe, stands on the other side with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle. A third fraternity member squats below them. The photo appears to have been taken at night, the scene illuminated by lights from a vehicle.

The photo was removed from LeClere's Instagram account after the Mississippi Center for Investigative Reporting and ProPublica began contacting fraternity members and friends. It had received 274 likes.

Kappa Alpha suspended the trio on Wednesday, after the news organizations provided a copy of the photo to fraternity officials at Ole Miss. The fraternity, which honors Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee as its "spiritual founder" on its website, has a history of racial controversy, including an incident in which students wore blackface at a Kappa Alpha sponsored Halloween party at the University of Virginia in 2002.

"The photo is inappropriate, insensitive and unacceptable. It does not represent our chapter," Taylor Anderson, president of Ole Miss' Kappa Alpha Order, wrote in an email. "We have and will continue to be in communication with our national organization and the University."

After viewing the photo, U.S. Attorney Chad Lamar of the Northern District of Mississippi in Oxford said the information has been referred to the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division for further investigation.

"We will be working with them closely," he said Thursday.

University officials called the photo "offensive and hurtful."

University spokesman Rod Guajardo acknowledged that an Ole Miss official had received a copy of the Instagram picture in March. The university referred the matter to the university police department, which in turn gave it to the FBI.

Guajardo said the FBI told police it would not further investigate the incident because the photo did not pose a specific threat.

Guajardo said that while the university considered the picture "offensive," the image did not present a violation of the university's code of conduct. He noted the incident depicted in the photo occurred off campus and was not part of a university-affiliated event.

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
Disgusting, but not surprising.

How long until they get an invite to the White House?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
The Department of Justice huh? How much money will the government give them?

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know the Emmett Till Story, I just don't know why people go out of their way to shoot it or take photos next to it with guns. I mean besides just plain ol racism, is there something I'm missing?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know you fucked up when you get suspended from the racist fraternity.

Kappa Alpha suspended the trio on Wednesday, after the news organizations provided a copy of the photo to fraternity officials at Ole Miss. The fraternity, which honors Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee as its "spiritual founder" on its website, has a history of racial controversy, including an incident in which students wore blackface at a Kappa Alpha sponsored Halloween party at the University of Virginia in 2002.

University should just disband that shit. Fuck them.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know the Emmett Till Story, I just don't know why people go out of their way to shoot it or take photos next to it with guns. I mean besides just plain ol racism, is there something I'm missing?

When racism is your culture, any acknowledgement of it as bad becomes a personal attack.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to figure out which between the appearance of the perpetrators and the fact that a sign honoring Emmett Till is bullet hole-riddled is the least surprising.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't the first time there were bullet holes in the Emmitt Till sign. It won't be the last either. This state is a joke.

Oct 31, 2017

It's in their culture to celebrate violence and brutality to devalued groups of people.

It's not even shocking anymore.

"They're so young, where did they learn this?" isn't even a thought. Damn near everything about American culture past and present has made them this way.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
That's not even the university suspending, but a fraternity...
Insulting the memory of a murdered child, that's beyond disgusting.

And even in the veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery small possibility they didn't think about meaning, just wanting to shoot purple thing (because they cannot read), that was discharge in a public location... it has to be irresponsible everywhere no ? I mean, if you wanted a stroll by the river site...

Anyway, bright young men, congratulations, you'll go far.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
"The photo did not pose a specific threat".

Get the FUCK out of here. I see our law system is working as it's always been intended.

The fact this isn't labeled a hate crime is beyond fucked.

Aug 1, 2018
Guajardo said the FBI told police it would not further investigate the incident because the photo did not pose a specific threat.

Guajardo said that while the university considered the picture "offensive," the image did not present a violation of the university's code of conduct. He noted the incident depicted in the photo occurred off campus and was not part of a university-affiliated event.

"white boys will be white boys"

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Also I live in Mississippi and this is the first I have heard about it. Local news doesn't seem to care.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It's not a specific threat though is it?
Posing in front of a sign to memorialize a black boy who was brutally lynched, that you riddled with bullets, while holding an AR-15 and a shotgun, sure seems fucking threatening to me. They are a threat to the public. They should have their guns taken away and be charged with menacing at the very least.

We all know how this would have turned out if they were all young black men instead, in front of a sign memorizing some Confederate asshole.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I apologize for being caught I have lived a blameless life till now and am a good student and youthful exuberance should not be mistaken for racism and my dad is in the chamber of commerce and who among us hasn't mocked the brutal murder of an important civil rights figure for the lulz and Likes?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
"The photo is inappropriate, insensitive and unacceptable. It does not represent our chapter," Taylor Anderson, president of Ole Miss' Kappa Alpha Order, wrote in an email. "We have and will continue to be in communication with our national organization and the University."

Was it not racist enough or something?

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Posing in front of a sign to memorialize a black boy who was brutally lynched, that you riddled with bullets, while holding an AR-15 and a shotgun, sure seems fucking threatening to me. They are a threat to the public. They should have their guns taken away.

While I agree with you, I think you are missing the "specific" part.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
"The photo is inappropriate, insensitive and unacceptable. It does not represent our chapter," Taylor Anderson, president of Ole Miss' Kappa Alpha Order, wrote in an email.

It had received 274 likes.

Oct 25, 2017
Course you probably heard about the pretty white girl from about the same area that got murdered. That is national news! Not this though.