• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think us white people will be okay. I don't know about you but the assumption doesn't make me feel oppressed or anything. It's okay to make reasonable assumptions about radical right-wing terrorism.
This same logic can be used to assume bad things about any group of people. I would expect a thread about a terrorism-by-truck incident to be heavily moderated for speculation on the race, ethnicity, religion of the perpetrator, because knee jerk reactions are not helpful to discussion. The same applies here, even though we all want to dunk on white conservatives.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This same logic can be used to assume bad things about any group of people. I would expect a thread about a terrorism-by-truck incident to be heavily moderated for speculation on the race, ethnicity, religion of the perpetrator, because knee jerk reactions are not helpful to discussion. The same applies here, even though we all want to dunk on white conservatives.
I don't think we need to present things as if all things need to be or are equal. It's okay to let white conservatives get dunked on and treat discussions involving marginalized people more strictly.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I don't think we need to present things as if all things need to be or are equal. It's okay to let white conservatives get dunked on and treat discussions involving marginalized people more strictly.
As fun as it is, I just don't see how allowing off topic, misguided stabs at unrelated groups because it feels fun is very productive. Mods can do whatever they want, but it feels like a misstep to me.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
What, I ask again, is the point of the "very fine people" statement if this had literally nothing to do with Trump or his supporters? What the fuck "sides" are there to this incident for there to even be "very fine people" on? What relevance do those flippant posts have to the situation and how do they in any way serve to further discussion? It's cool just to admit that you were wrong and made a bad post in an apparent rush to be first post and get a spicy quote chain going.
Psst, because we have to politicize every situation so it fits my worldview and ideology.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
As fun as it is, I just don't see how allowing off topic, misguided stabs at unrelated groups because it feels fun is very productive. Mods can do whatever they want, but it feels like a misstep to me.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think if any fellow white people are that upset that the first thing that comes to mind in an instance like this is radical white terrorism they probably have bigger issues to worry about and put effort into sorting out than comments on a gaming forum.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think if any fellow white people are that upset that the first thing that comes to mind in an instance like this is radical white terrorism they probably have bigger issues to worry about and put effort into sorting out than comments on a gaming forum.
Ah, yes, better to imply that there's something wrong with everyone else than reflect for even a moment about why posting incorrect hot takes might not be the best.

I definitely thought it could be a white Trumper, sure, but I wisely refrained from posting until more info was released, because that thought was based on nothing.

Oct 27, 2017
'Woman shoots people over not being allowed to eat at fast food restaurant during pandemic' is the kind of thing that just screams 'USA' when you read about it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I definitely thought it could be a white Trumper, sure, but I wisely refrained from posting until more info was released, because that thought was based on nothing.
I mean, congratulations? Dunno what you're looking for besides acknowledgement of what you consider the "wise" thing to do based on your own value set.
Ah, yes, better to imply that there's something wrong with everyone else than reflect for even a moment about why posting incorrect hot takes might not be the best.
Sorry but yeah if a white person is getting upset over people thinking it's likely to be a white perpetrator in this scenario, that's fragile as hell. I cannot think of that objection coming from a reasonable place that isn't an innate desire to defend other white people and whiteness in general. If you are not a radical white conservative, it should not bother you when those people are being talked about.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Got it, not wanting to read bad takes about Trump in a thread about unrelated events is white supremacy. 10-4 there chap

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Got it, not wanting to read bad takes about Trump in a thread about unrelated events is white supremacy. 10-4 there chap
Yup, you heard it here, folks, the controversial statement of "wait for more information" means you're a white supremacist. RedMercury coming with the best and most accurate, sensible takes as usual
Sure thing pumpkin

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yup, you heard it here, folks, the controversial statement of "wait for more information" means you're a white supremacist. RedMercury coming with the best and most accurate, sensible takes as usual
Sure thing pumpkin
How come you aren't comfortable engaging with the argument? These reactions don't seem at all like white fragility to you? NoMoreTrolls what's the grudge over, anyways? Never said shit to me like that before now so it must have been stewing for a while, you can PM me if you have anything you want to discuss, I'm a pretty open book. You might disagree with me but I'll always substantiate my position.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
How come you aren't comfortable engaging with the argument? These reactions don't seem at all like white fragility to you?
Ok, I'll bite. What's the argument? Because your posts heavily implied flaws with the character of anyone who took umbrage with reading speculative hot takes, specifically leaning toward a need to defend the power of white people.

When specifically I was pointing out that these assumptions are often moderated in other areas because they are unhelpful. Even after admitting that my own thoughts were generally aligned with said speculation, and that everyone likes a good roast of white conservatives. These posts are ultimately an unnecessary distraction, which is why they are generally moderated. I wasn't aware that there was an exception "but it's cool as long as you wanna make fun of Trump" regarding posting guidelines for tragic incidents.

In the end, no one is hurt by these posts, so it's whatever. But it would be nice if, in all of these kinds of threads, people took a minute to let information come in instead of immediately reacting.

I do not appreciate the implication that I'm attempting to protect white people, especially when I've been very consistent in acknowledging and decrying how racist and generally shit our country is for anyone who isn't white. You know, because it is.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Ok, I'll bite. What's the argument? Because your posts heavily implied flaws with the character of anyone who took umbrage with reading speculative hot takes, specifically leaning toward a need to defend the power of white people.

When specifically I was pointing out that these assumptions are often moderated in other areas because they are unhelpful. Even after admitting that my own thoughts were generally aligned with said speculation, and that everyone likes a good roast of white conservatives. These posts are ultimately an unnecessary distraction, which is why they are generally moderated. I wasn't aware that there was an exception "but it's cool looking you wanna make fun of Trump" regarding posting guidelines for tragic incidents.

In the end, no one is hurt by these posts, so it's whatever. But it would be nice if, in all of these kinds of threads, people took a minute to let information come in instead of immediately reacting.
I think it's fine to wait for more information. It's a passive act, what gets me is when it turns into policing other people who want to make a reasonable assumption, because there has to be *something* there to flip from wanting to do something passively to having the motivation to make it an active thing.

We know white fragility exists, and we know it's pervasive. For me, it's another reasonable assumption to think it's a likely cause of the motivation to complain. You admit yourself that nobody is being hurt by these posts, so that would be out the window as an explanation. And I'm not saying it's 100% a certainty that that's where it's coming from, we're not dealing with objective truths when talking about sources of motivation, that's just my read on it and it's cool if you disagree. Maybe in your case it really is just wanting to take a wait and see approach, and like I said, that's all well and good, and if it has nothing to do with white fragility you know that doesn't apply to you.

I don't want to get into meta-discussion about moderation really, I can't say definitively things are moderated a certain way for a certain reason, that's not any of my business really, it's not my site. I personally see no issues with subjective determinations of what constitutes a distraction and what doesn't, and judging things based on that metric would inconsistent and would likely not serve the needs of marginalized people in the best way as it could stand in the way of venting frustrations and the like.