• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
As a Canadian, I'm still kind of stunned to see stories like this coming out of the USA, but at the same time, it can't be the only country where people are freaking out like this. Maybe there are shoot outs in India or something that we're just not hearing about, it can't JUST be the USA, can it?

Well no, it's not JUST the US, The US doesn't have the highest gun death rate and Brazil tops the US significantly in total gun deaths.

but yeah there's a lot of guns in the US.

Oct 26, 2017
Well no, it's not JUST the US, The US doesn't have the highest gun death rate and Brazil tops the US significantly in total gun deaths.

And then Brazil dropped off after 2016 and then saw further drops in 2019. And from what I understand, the spike in gun violence had to do with drug market in Brazil (along with economic issues), so it was a specific situation when contrasted with the States.

Meanwhile the States spiked in 2017 and then dropped off but have remained consistent with gun deaths over time (this is to account for the upticks in suicide).

USA
1920px-1999-_Gun-related_deaths_USA.png

Last edited:

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
People seem to be laughing about this and acting like she's just insane for shooting a McDonald's up for not being able to eat her $4 meal in a dumpster of a restaurant, but there's clearly something we're not privy to here that made her snap. The obvious answer is to not let any random citizen own a firearm, but America.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People seem to be laughing about this and acting like she's just insane for shooting a McDonald's up for not being able to eat her $4 meal in a dumpster of a restaurant, but there's clearly something we're not privy to here that made her snap. The obvious answer is to not let any random citizen own a firearm, but America.

nobody is laughing about this

saying something just made her snap is being way too soft on the issue. Clearly people snap every fucking day, as evidence by the crazy amount of road rage on the streets.

Perhaps it's not wise to try and guess who will snap in the future, but just assume that literally anybody can snap at any given moment??????

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
This situation is horrifying. And America in a nutshell. Fuck.

Wanna tell me why the 2nd Amendment matters in anno domini 2020?

I don't trust anyone with guns ffs.

I'm mostly anti-second amendment, but there's an argument to be made that guns are necessary if we're ever going to have a true communist working class uprising against the bourgeois.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
It's not just the guns, although that is a huge part of the problem. It is also the complete disregard for other human life. To shoot people because you are inconvenienced about buying some fast food?

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
How do we dive into what motivates a person to do shit like this?

I seriously wonder at the events this person lived through living up to this moment. Did they see all those gun-toting protesters and feel enabled to do this? What kind of childhood did they have? What were they like in school? What kind of people do they associate with?

This shit is truly just completely bizarre. McDonalds. McDonalds! Imagine ruining your life over McDonalds.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This might be the most American news story ever produced- the only thing it's missing is capitalist driven genocide and a slanted trade deal for a non-American entity.

I'm betting five dollar menu items she's part of the obesity statistics.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do we dive into what motivates a person to do shit like this?

I seriously wonder at the events this person lived through living up to this moment. Did they see all those gun-toting protesters and feel enabled to do this? What kind of childhood did they have? What were they like in school? What kind of people do they associate with?

This shit is truly just completely bizarre. McDonalds. McDonalds! Imagine ruining your life over McDonalds.

It's quite literally road rage applied outside the car. It's just anger and division reaching a boiling point, egged on by the nation that the country is constantly under attack by propaganda outlets like fox news and the NRA. It's seriously simple.

The article says there was an altercation before she returned to fire. So here's my guess: she walked in and started eating. They told her she had to leave. She got all karen about it. They forced her to move. She struggled and thus they had to physically remove her. NOBODY TOUCHES ME. She grabs the weapon that right-wing terrorists have been drilling into her head that she needs because every transgression is a culture war, specifically for situations like this. And like pavlov's dog, this drooling idiot does as she's been conditioned to do.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
BuT sUiCiDe iSn'T gUn vIoLeNcE

I'll be completely honest I don't understand why using a gun for suicide is somehow exceptional or notable. The suicide rate in the US isn't significantly higher than similar countries, why does the method matter?

The US murder rate is high compared to other high income countries, isn't that enough to make the argument?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The US murder rate is high compared to other high income countries, isn't that enough to make the argument?

But those countries didn't SINGLE-HANDEDLY win WWII. THey've been scared of freedom their entire lives, they're just too primitive to understand the liberty of shooting a mcdonalds employee. They're slaves, really, when you think about it.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be completely honest I don't understand why using a gun for suicide is somehow exceptional or notable. The suicide rate in the US isn't significantly higher than similar countries, why does the method matter?

Is this even a question lmfao
You don't understand why crime statistics account for murder vs. suicide when calculating the number of murders/gun crimes per 100,000 people? The method matters because there are two different reasonings for committing murder vs. committing suicide, and no one should be conflating the two.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going to jail for attempted murder over the ability to eat McDonalds inside the restaurant is peak American

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is this even a question lmfao
You don't understand why crime statistics account for murder vs. suicide when calculating the number of murders/gun crimes per 100,000 people? The method matters because there are two different reasonings for committing murder vs. committing suicide, and no one should be conflating the two.

I don't think you understand my point.

People in America are more likely to take their own lives via firearm than other countries because they are more available, but overall are still less likely to take their own lives than people in Sweden, even though firearms are less available there. Therefore, I don't think it's reasonable to blame firearms for suicides.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

The US should compare itself to other developed states. If the US wants to be considered a developing state that's ok too. But this whole bit where the wealthiest nation on Earth keeps going "but look we're not as worse as *insert random developing nation*" is a joke.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I would normally say that we would need stricter gun control, but simply stating that on a random internet forum of left leaning gamers isn't going to fix anything, and I think we all know its futile to believe this administration would ever attempt to solve the problem.

The guns are ultimately a symptom of a much more disturbing mindset in America. One of self interest that makes us no different than animals out in the wild. Combine that with a distrust in a gutted and corrupted government system, hatred towards outsiders and perceived elites, and the decades of heightened stress we were all told to believe was normal, and I could see a third of Americans remorselessly eating each other if given the chance.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The US should compare itself to other developed states. If the US wants to be considered a developing state that's ok too. But this whole bit where the wealthiest nation on Earth keeps going "but look we're not as worse as *insert random developing nation*" is a joke.

The poster literally asked if it was "JUST the USA" and then used India as a comparison.

If you don't think Brazil is a legitimate country with any worth, hey that's up to you.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Won't anyone think of their economic anxiety? And to think stuff like this is being encouraged by this administration and corporate heads, with everyone perfectly willing to either fall in step or sit on their hands while waiting for the perfect, dream fulfillment changebringer.

There's an ease, lack of reflection time, and no chance to back out once it's done that many other methods don't all check. Plus there's the factor of murder-suicides utilizing fire arms, which extend into school and workplace shootings. It all feeds into each other.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think you understand my point.

People in America are more likely to take their own lives via firearm than other countries because they are more available, but overall are still less likely to take their own lives than people in Sweden, even though firearms are less available there. Therefore, I don't think it's reasonable to blame firearms for suicides.

Except I do understand your point and my answer was right there. I'm not really sure where you get the idea that blamed is placed, when all these stats are doing is accounting for suicides that were committed through the use of a gun. There is nothing to "blame" in this case. Furthermore, there have been tons of studies that are (currently) trying to figure out why Americans are motivated to use guns to kill themselves, that's why I mentioned that there is an importance in contextualizing the reasonings for homicides by gun, and suicides by gun.

Off the top of my head, these studies mentioned impulse being one of the main drivers of suicide, which leads to people using their guns for quick suicides. The impulsive moment of panic, and despair is why some researchers note the importance of mental health resources so that the acute feeling wears off and decisions can be made based on reality rather than a temporary heightened feeling that makes things out to be worse than they actually are.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
What in the actuall fuck...!?!?!?

like you still could've gotten your food via drive-thru....what on earth makes you shoot up a place because you can't eat inside Mcdonalds of all places!?!?!?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Oh great, the Karens are now arming themselves. Any Era members who are essential workers, I hope you stay safe.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Entitled shits with access to weaponry was bound to end poorly the moment they had to follow rules. Reminder of the insane lengths people go to to not pay their taxes

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Except I do understand your point and my answer was right there. I'm not really sure where you get the idea that blamed is placed, when all these stats are doing is accounting for suicides that were committed through the use of a gun. There is nothing to "blame" in this case. Furthermore, there have been tons of studies that are (currently) trying to figure out why Americans are motivated to use guns to kill themselves, that's why I mentioned that there is an importance in contextualizing the reasonings for homicides by gun, and suicides by gun.

Off the top of my head, these studies mentioned impulse being one of the main drivers of suicide, which leads to people using their guns for quick suicides. The impulsive moment of panic, and despair is why some researchers note the importance of mental health resources so that the acute feeling wears off and decisions can be made based on reality rather than a temporary heightened feeling that makes things out to be worse than they actually are.

Blame is implied by the very nature of those posts. If guns aren't considered responsible for the suicide than what's the point of listing the number of suicides by firearm?

I'm sure there's very important data to be gleaned from studies as to why suicide via gun is so common in the US, but is it more vital than the data we could glean from studies about why suicide via hanging is so common in Japan?