• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
No, not 4x10 nonsense. But 4x8.

I feel I have so much mental bandwidth. I wasn't rushed running errands or doing household chores. I got to have some high quality leisure in the outdoor and so on.

I remember reading that modern 40 hour week also factored having an assistant of sorts (1950s housewives), who did most of the important but unpaid labor—household management, preparing meals, childcare.

Today, most married couples both work, women bearing a greater burden of unpaid labor still. If you're single and live alone, it can be exhausting management household management, meals, cultivating a satisfying social life, etc.

Article:

www.forbes.com

The Long Memorial Day Weekend Highlights Why A Four-Day Workweek Is Needed

In the stress and anxiety-inducing era we are in, a three-day weekend may be one of the answers to our problems. It allows for people to take a longer break, relax and recuperate, and forge closer relationships, leading us to become happier.

5-Day Workweeks Without Much Vacation Time Is Inhumane

The much anticipated Memorial Day holiday ushers in a three-day weekend. Having that extra day off feels great. It offers time to decompress and enjoy precious moments with family and friends. After doing chores such as cleaning the house and mowing the lawn, running errands, and attending to your never-ending daily responsibilities and obligations, there is still some time left to engage in hobbies, sports, fitness, reading, and savoring the time disconnected from the office.

The additional day off allows us to enjoy more time on the beach, visiting relatives, attending a music concert, sporting event or other pleasurable activities. When we return to work next week, it will be for only four days.

Last edited:

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I work 4 days a week but 12 hours a shift. Tough but I do get 4 days weekend

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Agree.

But I work from home Monday and Friday, and honestly, that alone has been game changing in enabling me to run errands, plan out my weekends, travel, etc.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I do 4x10 and even that is way better. I have half of the entire week off to do all the shit and relax.
I'd take 4x10 but I find that schedule useless for some types of job. A programmer ain't going to be productive in hours 8-10. If they are they are crunching or on tons of caffeine.

There's also a law of diminishing returns.

A lot of our current HR practices are based on outdated factory models.

jleo

Aug 12, 2021
Never really believed the whole "it takes two days at least to wind down from work" and enjoy your weekend, but I am a true believer now. Same idea for length of a vacation. Gotta give yourself a true buffer window to really detach from work and start to relax.

All for the 4 day week, I think I'd be just as productive.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
4x8 work week would make sense. No one is in on Fridays and there isn't any meaningful work to be done on that anyway. When I was having to go into office pre-pandemic regardless of where I worked, I always found it amusing that companies would do parties/get togethers on Fridays as if I want to be doing that instead of doing something else. One time I worked at a call center and I noticed I was the only one taking calls. Apparently, everyone working there went to a baby shower for an employee and no one bothered to tell me. So I put my phone on "unavailable" with an hour remaining for the day and left.

It's not like your boss or even the CEO of a company would be in on a Friday anyway.

The whole practice of 40 hour work week is barbaric and companies that insist upon everyone being back in the office because "Covid is over" (when it's not) should be avoided.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
This past weekend was oddly non-existent for me. I'm not even sure why since it wasn't particularly busy...

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Never really believed the whole "it takes two days at least to wind down from work" and enjoy your weekend, but I am a true believer now. Same idea for length of a vacation. Gotta give yourself a true buffer window to really detach from work and start to relax.

All for the 4 day week, I think I'd be just as productive.
I think a lot of rest is also your mind.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
While right now I work 4 x 10, I am switching to a 4/5/5/4 type shift soon. That is, 12 hour days of 4 days work, 5 off, then 5 days work and 4 off. Something similar. This grants about 100 hours of paid overtime a year built-in, and around 180 working days a year. Works out pretty well.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
The extra day is a must. Sunday doesn't count because I just spend it dreading work.