• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
That kind of 'well, actually' bullshit completely misses the point that whatever legal concepts are in play here aren't fit for purpose. Plus I really don't give a fuck about EULAs since time and again it's been proved that you can't just impose some draconian licence agreement. As a concept it's pretty simple. NVidia are offering a service for people to play games they own on better hardware than is physically available to them.
It's different to streaming services like Stadia and OnLive, I really don't care if people don't understand that but it's fucking boring seeing people mistake Nvidia's reluctance to piss off publishers as admission of guilt or wrongdoing.

Exactly. There is an entire VM industry that does exactly what Nvidia is doing and no one there is complaining about "intellectual property rights" or "developers should have the right to choose platforms". In fact, right now you can pay Amazon 40cents an hour to spin up a VM instance and play your steam library off their hardware. Amazon isn't asking permission or giving them a cut of what is paid, nor would any of them challenge Amazon on it. Hell, many of these companies are likely using those same Amazon VMs to use software created by other developers. This is just a case where Nvidia doesn't want to piss off its partners and they're willing to let the service eat shit.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
then why did they remove the games? Is what I think that person is getting at.

Because it makes no sense to burn bridges. Also, when they created the service, it had the proviso that all devs have the right to exercise "removal" of their game. They aren't removed mind you, but blocked from launching.

Again. Not a single one of these games are available on the service for distribution. Steam is. You, as a subscriber to this service, determine what games you pay for and make accessible.

Nvidia is paying for a shitty strategy and branding. Not necessarily for breaking EULAs (jury is still out on this).

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's fundamental. When you use a cloud service like AWS or GFN you not renting hardware. You are buying computer time. They are fundamentally different things. The whole point of the cloud is, in fact, because owning or leasing hardware is often very inefficient. If you just buy the computing time as a service, it's often better for many businesses.

In many ways, the growth of the cloud is a return to the old mainframe days before the advent of mass minicomputer ownership. It's not the hardware you are buying, it's time on the hardware. It's the difference between owning a karaoke setup at home or going to a karaoke bar with a private room - obviously the latter has to have a license for the music you play, even if you bring your own music.

Ninja edit to make it even clearer: If you rent hardware it is under your control and you can perform copyrighted work you have a license for. If someone else is providing you a service and you want to run a work on their service, you are in reality asking them to perform the work for you.

If you ship your own hardware to a datacenter (either rented or owned outright), then that is private to you. If you buy time on someone else's cluster that they operate, they are providing you a service. It's a completely different model.

Whatever you want to call it is not changing the story much if at all. Hence labeling it a distinction without a difference. Yes, there are differences practically speaking between renting and owning. However, I do not need to own the computer I install steam on. I can even install my steam account at a cybercafe where I have rented the computer. I do not need to be in physical control or ownership of the hardware I install steam on.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
No, it's fundamental. When you use a cloud service like AWS or GFN you not renting hardware. You are buying computer time. They are fundamentally different things. The whole point of the cloud is, in fact, because owning or leasing hardware is often very inefficient. If you just buy the computing time as a service, it's often better for many businesses.

In many ways, the growth of the cloud is a return to the old mainframe days before the advent of mass minicomputer ownership. It's not the hardware you are buying, it's time on the hardware. It's the difference between owning a karaoke setup at home or going to a karaoke bar with a private room - obviously the latter has to have a license for the music you play, even if you bring your own music.

Ninja edit to make it even clearer: If you rent hardware it is under your control and you can perform copyrighted work you have a license for. If someone else is providing you a service and you want to run a work on their service, you are in reality asking them to perform the work for you.

If you ship your own hardware to a datacenter (either rented or owned outright), then that is private to you. If you buy time on someone else's cluster that they operate, they are providing you a service. It's a completely different model.

That "computer time" as you call it runs on hardware. You are paying to access something you don't own on monthly payments. Instead of a company buying the hardware that provides the processing power they need, they rent the hardware that provides that processing power. This is exactly what Nvidia is doing with Geforce Now, you rent access to hardware that allows you to run your games.

"Rather than owning their own computing infrastructure or data centers, companies can rent access to anything from applications to storage from a cloud service provider.

One benefit of using cloud computing services is that firms can avoid the upfront cost and complexity of owning and maintaining their own IT infrastructure, and instead simply pay for what they use, when they use it.

In turn, providers of cloud computing services can benefit from significant economies of scale by delivering the same services to a wide range of customers."

www.zdnet.com

What is cloud computing? Everything you need to know about the cloud explained

Fully updated: An introduction to cloud computing, right from the basics up to IaaS and PaaS, hybrid, public, and private cloud, AWS and Azure.

mashable.com

Amazon's Cloud: A Supercomputer Anyone Can Rent

Nov 14, 2017
Whatever you want to call it is not changing the story much if at all. Hence labeling it a distinction without a difference. Yes, there are differences practically speaking between renting and owning. However, I do not need to own the computer I install steam on. I can even install my steam account at a cybercafe where I have rented the computer. I do not need to be in physical control or ownership of the hardware I install steam on.
If you install Steam on a cybercafe, the venue has to be signed up for the Steam Cybercafe programme. The Steam subscriber agreement prohibits any kind of public use.

In practice, you can go out and play on your laptop. Nobody will take action against you. If a venue is allowing users to come in and play games in public, that venue needs a license. It's the same as playing music in a public venue. You have no right to play recorded music in public. In practice, nobody is going to sue you for carrying around your boom box. If a venue were to allow people to just come in and play music non-stop however, that could attract attention from the local performing rights society.

That "computer time" as you call it runs on hardware. You are paying to access something you don't own on monthly payments. Instead of a company buying the hardware that provides the processing power they need, they rent the hardware that provides that processing power. This is exactly what Nvidia is doing with Geforce Now, you rent access to hardware that allows you to run your games.

"Rather than owning their own computing infrastructure or data centers, companies can rent access to anything from applications to storage from a cloud service provider.

One benefit of using cloud computing services is that firms can avoid the upfront cost and complexity of owning and maintaining their own IT infrastructure, and instead simply pay for what they use, when they use it.

In turn, providers of cloud computing services can benefit from significant economies of scale by delivering the same services to a wide range of customers."

www.zdnet.com

What is cloud computing? Everything you need to know about the cloud explained

Fully updated: An introduction to cloud computing, right from the basics up to IaaS and PaaS, hybrid, public, and private cloud, AWS and Azure.

mashable.com

With cloud computing you are not leasing hardware. You are buying time on someone else's hardware. That hardware is under their control, and they are performing a service for you. As such, they are a third party who is performing copyrighted work for you.

A lease is a transfer of ownership for a limited time. It's the difference between leasing a car and paying a chauffeur a wage to always be on standby, or just calling a taxi to get from A to B. When you call a taxi, you're not leasing the car. You're buying the service of being transported.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
With cloud computing you are not leasing hardware. You are buying time on someone else's hardware. That hardware is under their control, and they are performing a service for you. As such, they are a third party who is performing copyrighted work for you.

A lease is a transfer of ownership for a limited time. It's the difference between leasing a car and paying a chauffeur a wage to always be on standby, or just calling a taxi to get from A to B. When you call a taxi, you're not leasing the car. You're buying the service of being transported.

Smart-Select-Image-2020-03-07-13-29-07.png

"Rather than owning their own computing infrastructure or data centers, companies can rent access to anything from applications to storage from a cloud service provider."

If I'm buying time on someone else's hardware, I'm renting the hardware for the time I decide to use it. There are different business models of access for the hardware you rent. You either pay to access an specific library of software or to have your own dedicated server, pay as you go or have a fixed monthly payment. Renting something doesn't mean you necessarily have complete control over it. I could give a car for rental and allow for you to change the color if you want, as long as you return it with the same color, or say I don't give you the right to change anything about the car. In both cases I'm renting to access something I don't own, with their own separate rules of use.

"Amazon Web Services has launched a new service that lets enterprise customers rent their own dedicated physical servers."

www.zdnet.com

Now Amazon customers can rent dedicated AWS physical servers

Amazon Web Services has launched a new service that lets enterprise customers rent their own dedicated physical servers.

Last edited:

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Steam Remote Play uses your on computer, they are not remotely streamed from a commercial service by a major corporation like Nvidia. They are fundamentally different.

Oh ok, now I get it, thanks. I was thinking that your computer was doing the work like Steam Streaming, I was wondering what all the fuss was about. Yeah, now I understand the issue, my bad.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of Copyright laws imo are dumb but please stop saying people are defending a corporation when they are just stating what the law might say on this. In the US, imo I think the law is on the side of the Publishers. Just the reality of the situation. Sorry if it upsets people.

if you were to bring this case to a court and explained it step by step to a judge, Nvidia would lose every god damn time lol,

People just don't get it. Also it's crazy that people are calling publishers greedy when Nvidia has the money to make deals and work with pubs but instead they want to be cheap.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
It would still be risking litigation by doing so.

You need to state a cause of action to initiate litigation in the US. Otherwise you're begging for a summary dismissal.

If my understanding if how GeForce works is correct it seems that the biggest issue is that Nvidia is essentially pirating the games.

Nvidia caches games on their server, you link your Steam account, cached games that you own are activated on a VM for you to stream. That's the issue, Nvidia caching these games without permission.

I assume that if GeForce required you to log into an actual installation of Steam on a VM and actually download each and every game you wanted to play to that VM there wouldn't be an issue here.

Nvidia obviously failed to communicate something with publishers between the beta and the final release.

You do not understand how GFN works.

Because local indie dev Raphael van Lierop, the game director and writer of indie hit The Long Dark, pulled his game too. You gonna call him greedy to?

No one is disputing that money isn't involved here, what I am saying is that the lazy "greedy devs" rhetoric is probably not accurate and missing crucial context, as noted above in a quote that Raphael made. I'm saying it's not that simple.

Yes, I'm going to call him greedy for adding an ex post facto restriction to his game licenses after he sold them.

You don't make your customers spend more $$$ unless you want more $$$.

It's not nice to ask for thousands of people to lose their jobs. :(

It's not nice to demand that millions of people pay more for rights that they already had under existing licenses.

I'm not sure what Fortnite is even doing on Geforce Now, seeing how Epic prefers to be independent from other stores and launchers. Epic is perfectly capable of streaming Fortnite themselves and raking in all the cash from that.

Creating a server farm turned for gaming is expensive. Epic (smartly) doesn't care what people play Fortnite on as long as no one is asking for a cut of Fortnite sales.

Devs be hungry.

I can't see how Nvidia will get them back on for free. Doesn't seem like a simply "Please allow your games on the service" will suffice. Nvidia makes between $0 and $4.99 per customer depending if they use the free model or not. And unless Nvidia starts being able to track its users and removes access to the Steam program from being used (you can load up the full program and select games) there isn't a way of finding what the user is actually playing on their account.

If this service survives, Nvidia will end up charging its customers more (probably closer to the Shadow's pricing structure) just to pay devs.

If Nvidia decides to pay devs (which would be the opposite of the standard console and mobile model where devs pay platform fees to be on them) it would cost more than Shadow.

GFN is only cheap because Nvidia already has the server farms setup for professional work. This is very likely a side project that is using spare cycles.

If Nvidia offers streaming copy, publishers can't negotiate exclusive deals with platforms like Stadia, xCloud, PSnow, Apple Arcade etc. that actually give some money for having their games there.

Stadia asks for a licensing fee, like other game consoles.

The others you list rent you a preselected list of games.

GFN does neither.

This argument makes no sense. GFN isn't hardware, it's a streaming solution for games.

If I'm building a tablet that works with iOS apps, I probably should contact Apple first. I certainly shouldn't get pissy when they ask me to stop.

As long as you didn't copy Apple IP, Apple couldn't do squat. You can make a device that is compatible.

It's really not if you think about how content is licensed for streaming. Netflix doesn't pay per movie, they pay a company like Warner Bros for an entire catalogue. That catalogue becomes less valuable when someone allows you to remote into a computer somewhere to watch a dvd of Harry Potter since it's no longer a driver for you to subscribe to Netflix.

This is the exact same thing. For every person streaming Call of Duty, Activision loses a bit of money on their streaming licenses to companies that would want it since it's no longer a driver to subscribe.

In your example the customer has gone to the store and bought a DVD of the movie. And today, said customer can copy said DVD to a Plex server, and stream it to themselves remotely.

And it is all legal.

Yep seems pretty obvious at this point.

If they had a legal right I would imagine by now Nvidia would have refused to remove them to stop the bleeding. It's either that or the damage to the relationships for exercising that option would be too damaging long term to consider so they are instead taking the games off the service. Either way the result is the same.

It is the latter. Nvidia values dev relationships more than legal rights.

GFN isn't a major play for Nvidia.

Nvidia probably thought devs would think it was cool, and that consumers would think it was cool, and it would grow the market because devs didn't have to pay licensing fees, consumers used the games they owned, new consumers with shitty PCs (or Macs) would buy more PC games, and Nvidia would offset some of its server farm idle cost.

Nvidia miscalculated the dev desire for $$$ for everything.

I did this in the other thread, but this take is absolutely wrong.

What Nvidia is doing constitutes a public performance. They need permission from the rightsholder for what they are doing. They don't have it.

And it was pointed out in the other thread why you were wrong, and how if you do treat this as a TV comparison Nvidia is correct, and you went silent after that.

You are a member of the public signing up to a service Nvidia is providing. Nvidia is performing copyrighted work in many places at many times for the public - i.e. not internal employees or owners or anyone else with a private interest in the company.

You have the right to perform the copyrighted work for yourself, you don't have the right to ask Nvidia to perform it for you. They need their own license.

Nvidia is not doing a public performance any more than a cable company with a cloud DVR is giving a public performance.

No it doesn't. Look at what I actually said.

Aereo was claiming that they weren't making a public performance because they were giving each user their own hardware and only leasing out hardware. The user was directing and controling that hardware. The courts rejected that argument.

The TV part of their argument was that cable companies in the USA have carved out a copyright exception. They are able to take local OTA TV signals and transmit them on their cable networks. That is also a public performance, but they have an exception that allows them to do it. Aereo claimed if what they were doing was a public performance, they should enjoy the same protection. Obviously they lost.

Only the first half of their argument was specific to TV. Their argument was literally the same argument people are making around GFN - that they were just leasing out hardware, and that everyone had their own arial, hard drive, and therefore DVR service.

You really need to read the Aereo decision and not just online summaries.

The USSC went to great pains to ensure that the Aereo decision was narrowly tailored to apply to Aereo and would not overturn prior cases in the cloud arena.

USSC said:
"We have not considered whether the public performance right is infringed when the user of a service pays primarily for something other than the transmission of copyrighted works, such as the remote storage of content."

This is the USSC being very explicit about making a very narrow decision on Aereo.

Why does NVIDIA even comply with them then?

Because Nvidia values dev relationships (and its core hardware business) over a side project.

Could a lawyer explain to me the difference between Geforce Now and the pc rental service Shadow. Will they be in trouble as well?

Nvidia is a bigger, better known company that makes graphics hardware as a primary business. It only started renting cloud gaming PCs on the side recently.

Shadow rents cloud gaming PCs as its primary business.

Bad take. You can play all your games on a remote PC. But Geforce Now is not that, it's a gaming platform.

GFN is a remote PC.

Well, why does NVIDIA get to control what games I play? why do they even get a say? If I'm just renting a PC, why can't I just install the games myself?

You could install whatever you wanted in the beta.

Nvidia has an install whitelist to:
1) Prevent people from using the machine they are renting to do things like installing crypto miners or spam software.
2) Allow it to block users from installing games from dev partners who ask because Nvidia wants to keep partners happy.

Keep in mind, this is a service that is renting you a specialized set of hardware at below cost. There will be some limits.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Just like the other thread, it doesnt matter what the EULA (that isnt even worth that much in court...) says, it just boggles my mind that I bought a game and cant run it on the cloud. It just makes no sense to me. No sense at all. And I am not talking about the legal part of the things, just thinking about what should be right.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Lol of course they did. Someone in Europe needs to sue about this since EU courts seem to get shit done on this front.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I've referenced iTunes Match before in these threads because that's exactly what that service does. Matches your iTunes library, wherever your music came from (CD rips, tape rips, purchases from other stores etc) and lets you stream that music from iTunes to any compatible device at full iTunes quality (even if your CD rips are terrible 96khz mp3 rips). You're basically paying Apple to use their servers to stream music you already own from any other storefront or format.

And interestingly Apple do pay royalties to rights holders for everything streamed through iTunes Match.

It's not a direct apples to apples comparison with GeForce NOW but I think it's close enough. Apple are just giving you access to music that you've already bought. You've bought that music, why should Apple pay out royalties for it? The labels have already been paid when you bought it. But they do. They pay typical streaming royalties.
Thats not the reason. Apple pays the rights holders because they're technically breaking copyright every time they stream that music to you. They couldn't get away with not paying streaming royalties. They're not paying every time on the off chance that you might not have bought the music. They're paying mechanical and performance royalties.

Again, it's not a direct comparison. Gaming doesn't have the same royalties structure. Even within music it's fucking dark arts... vague as hell. But it's one of the things that sets a precedent and will set the tone for rights holders wanting compensation when their IPs are used via a monetised service that has zero part of the original licensing deal.

As always, it's not a defence and it's not a judgement on whether it's right or wrong. Its just a reality of licensing, streaming rights and part of the discussion of why pubs might be removing their stuff.

Apple pays because it offers the Match service and it wanted publishers on board. It also didn't want to keep millions of copies of the same songs on hand.

If Apple purely operated at a place to upload and play from (aka a storage locker), and every user had their own dedicated storage space, it would be legal and not have to pay out a single cent.

OK, so, I'm apparently out of the loop here. But what exactly is the problem these devs/publishers have with Nvidia/GeForce Now? Isn't it essentially just a service that lets you stream games you've already legally bought?

Yes. Some pubs/devs want you to pay again for the same game.

So... I take it the devs wants the Nvidia or the consumer to pay for streaming games the consumer has already bought? Would that be correct?

Yes.

Also EULA is not legally binding document, most courts will dismiss it. So saying that something is in EULA is pointless. Nvidia would probably won if they went to court but i guess that they don't want to for multiple reasons. Especially if they went to EU court. And i will say this again i wonder if it would help if people went and complained to their local consumer protection offices.

This take is wrong. EULAs may be contracts of adhesion, but they are generally enforceable. Again though, that goes both ways which is why someone who purchased a game before it was pulled may have a valid claim against the publisher.

Can a guy buy a film on Netflix and rent out a room for five dollars an hour as he has the big screen and room to show it ?

Netflix doesn't sell movies. But there is nothing stopping you from buying a Blu (or a digital movie from Amazon), and watching it in a rented room.

From a store then , why can't guys with big rooms make there own private cinemas ? They can't there's different licenses and this is pretty much the same argument ,

You can rent out a room for private use and watch a movie. You just can't sell access to others as that would make it a public showing.

Who do you think decided to adopt the "creators get to decide if their games are supported by Geforce Now" policy.

Because that's an Nvidia policy. That they adopted voluntarily.

This is something many in the thread don't understand.

The takedown policy is Nvidia's. It is not a legal thing.

While I'm sure publishers aren't happy, I haven't heard anyone raise a stink about Shadow yet, and I wonder if they'd be justified in considering taking legal action. In GeForce Now's case, at least, Nvidia is giving publishers the courtesy to have the final say, which is the only reason why games have been removed. Shadow is not even doing that.

They have no pull with Shadow. Shadow isn't breaking the law and Shadow doesn't have another line of business to worry about.

GFN is not a rental service. They are not renting you hardware. They are giving you access to their cloud platform, not renting you hardware while hosting it.

Cloud platforms are just collections of hardware in data centers.

It is not a magical thing. When you rent an on-demand cloud PC you are renting hardware, that is dedicated to you, for the time you are renting it.

The duration of the rental (hours vs weeks or months) does not matter.

if you were to bring this case to a court and explained it step by step to a judge, Nvidia would lose every god damn time lol,

People just don't get it. Also it's crazy that people are calling publishers greedy when Nvidia has the money to make deals and work with pubs but instead they want to be cheap.

You'll need to cite case law and a clear cause of action to make that claim. Because the law generally says Nvidia is in the clear.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
They aren't telling you anything. They are asking Nvidia to remove their titles from Nvidia's service, and Nvidia is complying with that request.

There is no basis for anyone to sue here.
Well I see it differently. If I am trying to stream a game I already own to something else then what's the problem. I am not reselling it or copying it or anything else. It's my game and I should be able to do what I want to do with it.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Well I see it differently. If I am trying to stream a game I already own to something else then what's the problem. I am not reselling it or copying it or anything else. It's my game and I should be able to do what I want to do with it.
Again, Nvidia isn't offering 2K games on their service. You have no standing to sue 2K or Nvidia in this situation, as neither one of them has any legal obligation to create and operate a system to stream 2K games to you.

You can't sue an entertainment company for not offering you a product you want.

Nov 14, 2017
If Apple purely operated at a place to upload and play from (aka a storage locker), and every user had their own dedicated storage space, it would be legal and not have to pay out a single cent.
You are 100% wrong on this. Google pays for their music locker service. How can you not remember how mp3.com was sued to oblivion for exactly that? It's making mechanical copies without permission from the original owner.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you clearly don't know the first thing about copyright. I'm not an expert either; I'm just old enough to remember all these novel copyright arguments and how companies went under while arguing them.

And it was pointed out in the other thread why you were wrong, and how if you do treat this as a TV comparison Nvidia is correct, and you went silent after that.
Unfortunately I don't have the time to be extremely online and keep arguing forever. Generally, I see yesterday's arguments as yesterday's news. Consider yourself fortunate you have the time to engage to this degree.

Nvidia is not doing a public performance any more than a cable company with a cloud DVR is giving a public performance.
Cloud DVR does not fall within personal copying exceptions in Europe. It's absolutely a public performance. I very much doubt that EU or US courts would disagree whether a particular act constituted a public performance. The question is whether the cable companies have an exception to copyright. Maybe in the USA they do. If they don't, they agreed a license.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
You are 100% wrong on this. Google pays for their music locker service. How can you not remember how mp3.com was sued to oblivion for exactly that? It's making mechanical copies without permission from the original owner.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you clearly don't know the first thing about copyright. I'm not an expert either; I'm just old enough to remember all these novel copyright arguments and how companies went under while arguing them.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to be extremely online and keep arguing forever. Generally, I see yesterday's arguments as yesterday's news. Consider yourself fortunate you have the time to engage to this degree.

Cloud DVR does not fall within personal copying exceptions in Europe. It's absolutely a public performance. I very much doubt that EU or US courts would disagree whether a particular act constituted a public performance. The question is whether the cable companies have an exception to copyright. Maybe in the USA they do. If they don't, they agreed a license.

You keep making statements of opinion that directly contravene facts. If you're going to claim the law says something, you need to back it up.

While I can't speak for EU law, Nvidia is based in the US and US law applies to its service here.

Again, I'll point to the Cablevision decision, which is controlling precedent and explicitly makes cloud DVRs legal in the US. It is also a legal basis for cloud storage services. One of the key points is that a performance to an individual is not "absolutely a public performance".

But our independent analysis confirms the soundness of their intuition: the use of a unique copy may limit the potential audience of a transmission and is therefore relevant to whether that transmission is made "to the public." Plaintiffs' unsupported arguments to the contrary are unavailing.

Given that each RS-DVR transmission is made to a given subscriber using a copy made by that subscriber, we conclude that such a transmission is not "to the public," without analyzing the contours of that phrase in great detail. No authority cited by the parties or the district court persuades us to the contrary.

Thus, according to the On Command court, any commercial transmission is a transmission "to the public." We find this interpretation untenable, as it completely rewrites the language of the statutory definition. If Congress had wished to make all commercial transmissions public performances, the transmit clause would read: "to perform a work publicly means . . . to transmit a performance for commercial purposes." In addition, this interpretation overlooks, as Congress did not, the possibility that even non-commercial transmissions to the public may diminish the value of a copyright. Finally, like Redd Horne, On Command is factually distinguishable, as successive transmissions to different viewers in that case could be made using a single copy of a given work. Thus, at the moment of transmission, any of the hotel's guests was capable of receiving a transmission made using a single copy of a given movie. As a result, the district court in this case erred in relying on On Command.

In sum, we find that the transmit clause directs us to identify the potential audience of a given transmission, i.e., the persons "capable of receiving" it, to determine whether that transmission is made "to the public." Because each RS-DVR playback transmission is made to a single subscriber using a single unique copy produced by that subscriber, we conclude that such transmissions are not performances "to the public," and therefore do not infringe any exclusive right of public performance. We base this decision on the application of undisputed facts; thus, Cablevision is entitled to summary judgment on this point.

In sum, because we find, on undisputed facts, that Cablevision's proposed RS-DVR system would not directly infringe plaintiffs' exclusive rights to reproduce and publicly perform their copyrighted works, we grant summary judgment in favor of Cablevision with respect to both rights.

This decision isn't that long (it's only 44 pages) and is a major case in this area. If you're going to argue public performance over electronic systems it is required reading.

Now streaming over Twitch most certainly IS a public performance.

Nvidia would be crossing a line if it had copies of all the games pre-installed on each rented machine without permission, but as long as individuals have to install from EGS/Steam/Uplay (which you do) into individual instances (which you do), it is in line with this ruling.

Now, if you can show a cite that says differently (and Aereo doesn't, as I pointed out earlier it goes out of it's way to NOT conflict with Cablevision) then I'm all ears. But you can't just insist that the holding here is wrong because you don't like it, especially if you are using TV and cloud DVRs as a comparison to GFN.

Oct 25, 2017
But it really isn't. Can you run Photoshop or Linux on it? Can you configure this remote PC is any way? No, you can't. It's structured as a gaming platform, and that's why publishers are pulling games.

Just because you cannot do literally anything you want on the PC does not actually change anything relevant. So what you cannot change the OS? So what you cannot run photoshop? Well, you could if nvidia wanted to let you of course. Their decision to not let you use it that way changes what it is? No, not legally at least.

You and others keep calling it a gaming platform as if labeling it a gaming platform has some magical legal significance. What has legal significance are whether they are distributing unauthorized and illegitimate copies of the game. Whether they are facilitating breach of copyright. Whether they are in fact breaking copyright themselves. And these issues have all been addressed in one form or another on this thread but I will touch on each briefly.

1. Are they distribution? They are not selling games. This one is as simple as that.

2. Are they facilitating breach of copyright? Well, that depends on if the users are breaking copyright, right? You must own access to these games on your own account. Steam allows you to install your games on any PC connected to the steam network.

You may use your Steam account on any machine which can connect to the Steam network - Steam allows you to download and install any games registered to your account as soon as you log in.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8963-EIKC-3767#multiple

3. As far as we know, the games they have advertised alongside the service have received permission to advertise. Keep in mind, no one has sued nvidia or claimed they used their IP without permission relating to advertisement. Otherwise, it is clear they are not breaking copyright because they are not facilitating breach of copyright nor are they selling content.

Why are people so hung up on whether this counts as renting a PC or is it computing time or is it a gaming platform? I can explain why I think it is important, because it is easy to understand. It is also very compelling idea that I can rent remote hardware for very low cost and have an experience so close to a high end experience. You labeling it a gaming platform does not change what it actually is nor should anyone care. You cannot simply call it a gaming platform and pretend that is an argument. It is not.