• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If my understanding if how GeForce works is correct it seems that the biggest issue is that Nvidia is essentially pirating the games.

Nvidia caches games on their server, you link your Steam account, cached games that you own are activated on a VM for you to stream. That's the issue, Nvidia caching these games without permission.

I assume that if GeForce required you to log into an actual installation of Steam on a VM and actually download each and every game you wanted to play to that VM there wouldn't be an issue here.

Nvidia obviously failed to communicate something with publishers between the beta and the final release.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I am still firmly in the belief that this isn't on Nvidia. I see no difference between renting cloud computer time from Nvidia to play my Steam titles that I own or going to a LAN Cafe and logging in to my own Steam account. The whole thing is silly.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm just cancelling GeForce Now then. I'll just have to hope I can use the Steam Link app to stream to my phone instead.

Oct 27, 2017
If my understanding if how GeForce works is correct it seems that the biggest issue is that Nvidia is essentially pirating the games.

Nvidia caches games on their server, you link your Steam account, cached games that you own are activated on a VM for you to stream. That's the issue, Nvidia caching these games without permission.

I assume that if GeForce required you to log into an actual installation of Steam on a VM and actually download each and every game you wanted to play to that VM there wouldn't be an issue here.

Nvidia obviously failed to communicate something with publishers between the beta and the final release.
this is the most ridiculous thing ive seen in this thread. what complete nonsense. do you actually think these companies are doing this because NVIDIA is 'caching game content' and they think it's piracy? don't be naive.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We are talking about publishers. Their money is their bottom line and whats most important to these companies.

You dont think that has anything to do with this? What?
What else would it be? They want to be cut into the business. They're greedy fucks.

Because local indie dev Raphael van Lierop, the game director and writer of indie hit The Long Dark, pulled his game too. You gonna call him greedy to?

"Today's world is getting complex for devs, with lots of platform changes and shifts to streaming, so devs have to be able to plan a strategy for how their games will appear and where, as a means of running a business. All the platforms acknowledge this." He said Hinterland would reconsider putting The Long Dark on GeForce Now in the future, but right now, he doesn't like the current situation.

No one is disputing that money isn't involved here, what I am saying is that the lazy "greedy devs" rhetoric is probably not accurate and missing crucial context, as noted above in a quote that Raphael made. I'm saying it's not that simple.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Nvidia needs to put the foot down on this one, they are in the right. Btw Gaming side, for once the word "anti-consumer" is appropriate.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish NVIDIA would dig in their heels on this, publishers don't deserve an extra cut for just letting me run the games I already purchased from them on the machine of my choice.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
It isn't like there is much competition in the graphics market. It is Nvidia or AMD. And Nvidia is the market leader at 70%.

The real question is do publishers want to get in a fight with Nvidia? Have reviews tank and players complain because there is no Game Ready Driver available.

That's not how this works. That's not how anything works. There is no this versus that scenario.
Publishers and studios having strong relationships with first party and third party hardware manufacturers is for the benefit of all involved in those relationships.

Nobody is getting in a fight with anybody. What is this, a TV soap opera? :p

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No?
If I make a backup of a game I downloaded on Steam to install on a friend's PC, so that he can play it(with his own license of course) that's not pirating for fucks sake
If the rules/laws for software backups are the same as backups for physical media that would also technically not be allowed. IE you can rip your own copy of a piece of media for your use but you can't download a copy from an unlicensed website for your personal use even if you own the physical piece of media.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Oh come on! I just bought an Xbox controller last night for my phone for this very reason! To play on GeForce. By this point i have to suspect it's something to do with Nvidia not asking for permission..

This is nuts and I hope everything gets resolved. I wanted to use this as a gateway into PC Gaming...

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
He's also whined about GOG's 30 day refund thing, so... yeah
The same policy that devs found about at the same time as the public? Including devs that had an imminent GOG release.

I am broadly pro refund policies, but GOG bungled the announcement at the very least.

SpauldingX

Apr 15, 2018
Devs: you can buy our games, but we dictate where you install them. Welcome to the future

me:fuck you

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's so wild to me how a giant company like Nvidia just turns this service on with zero proper approval from publishers.

I'm just assuming there's a whole legal team at Nvidia who signed off on this saying they were in the clear with distribution, and are now all looking for new jobs.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
No?
If I make a backup of a game I downloaded on Steam to install on a friend's PC, so that he can play it(with his own license of course) that's not pirating for fucks sake

Yes this. Geforce Now logs user into a VM instance that has access to Nvidia's networks storage that has all the games on their service. Clicking install just checks that storage for existing game files and maps that VM's steam to that storage location. These files can't be used without a valid steam account that has a license for these games. They aren't offering a subscription to play a set of games without users owning the game.

SpauldingX

Apr 15, 2018
It's so wild to me how a giant company like Nvidia just turns this service on with zero proper approval from publishers.

I'm just assuming there's a whole legal team at Nvidia who signed off on this saying they were in the clear with distribution, and are now all looking for new jobs.

approval for what? Installing a game I bought on their machine? Greedy mother fuckers I hope go broke

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
I'm sure he would too, but I'm not entirely sure how that constitutes greedy when you are looking at the issue from a developer standpoint and not only through a consumer lens.
Because I already paid them for the damn game, so he has no say in what or how or where I play it. He made his sale, anything more than that is greedy af

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes this. Geforce Now logs user into a VM instance that has access to Nvidia's networks storage that has all the games on their service. Clicking install just checks that storage for existing game files and maps that VM's steam to that storage location. These files can't be used without a valid steam account that has a license for these games. They aren't offering a subscription to play a set of games without users owning the game.
And it seems that Nvidia didn't get a license to host those games in the first place or else this wouldn't be happening.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Ubisoft, Epic, Valve, Riot, Bandai Namco, Bohemia, Bungie, CDPR, Devolver, Focus Home, Koei Tecmo, Paradox, PUBG, SEGA, Warner Bros and a bunch of others.
Would be more worried if Ubisoft leaves then most of the others. They have way more frequently releases then most of those other publishers. Still its Nice to see that it has some AAA support still.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
How is GeForce Now anything but beneficial to the publishers of these games? If my PC can't run a game I'm not going to buy it. Give me a way to play it and maybe I will buy it. Don't want my money? Fine, I won't buy your game.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because I already paid them for the damn game, so he has no say in what or how or where I play it. He made his sale, anything more than that is greedy af

You paid for a license. And that license probably has the same clause that the Acti-Blizz one has too. You don't own the game, and if the license has clauses about where and how you play it, he absolutely does have a say then.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
How is GeForce Now anything but beneficial to the publishers of these games? If my PC can't run a game I'm not going to buy it. Give me a way to play it and maybe I will buy it. Don't want my money? Fine, I won't buy your game.
Bcuz they can charge for another license on a streaming service

see Stadia

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017

yeah lol

their in house counsel really really bungled this

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Just kill the service. I'd rather these moronic publishers lose the potential new customers GeForce Now would've provided than have them drive prices up for GFN users, AND make more money when they aren't owed a thing. Not to mention the awful precedent it would set if/when Nvidia caves.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Nvidia should just operate under Steam's already-existing Cyber Cafe terms and they'd be 100% absolutely in the clear on this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3303-QWRC-3436

Users of Steam within your facility will be able to log in to Steam with their own personal Steam accounts, download and access content that they personally own or is provided by your organization. This will provide your customers with the full Steam experience and allow them to use all Steam services including purchasing of content in-game items, collection of badges, achievements, game drops, trading cards, etc.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
its 2020 and people still havent realised you are not buying games, youre renting them until they see fit?

even disc games you dont actually own the game, you own the license to play the game. Its been like that for many many years. Do NOT get me wrong, this isnt a defense of anyone, its stating facts. Its been fucked for ages and people keep going "but i own the game I paid for"

no you dont.

Oct 25, 2017
its 2020 and people still havent realised you are not buying games, youre renting them until they see fit?

even disc games you dont actually own the game, you own the license to play the game. Its been like that for many many years. Do NOT get me rong, this isnt a defense of anyone, its stating facts. Its been fucked for ages and people keep going "but i own the game I paid for"

no you dont.

Do you think renting an apartment means you have no rights? NO! Of course you still have rights!