• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
www.eurogamer.net

2K announces arcade-style WWE 2K Battlegrounds, addresses sim series concern

2K has announced an arcade-style WWE game and addressed concern about the fate of the simulation series.WWE 2K Battlegr…

wwe.2k.com

WWE 2K Battlegrounds to Lead the Charge into the Future of 2K’s WWE Game Experiences

An open letter from 2K to the WWE gaming community

2K has announced an arcade-style WWE game and addressed concern about the fate of the simulation series.

WWE 2K Battlegrounds is a brawler by World War Z and NBA 2K Playgrounds developer Saber Interactive, and it's out autumn 2020. It features stylised depictions of famous wrestlers, with outlandish moves and environments. Expect more on the game soon. Until then, here's the trailer:

Looks like something of a spiritual sequel to WWE All-Stars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Those characters look awful.
Game could be some decent fun depending on the gameplay though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they're taking the 2K Playgrounds approach. appropriate since this is by Saber

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hate the art style, but I'll give the gameplay a chance. Making "basically NBA Jam" didn't quite work for 2K, so I won't hold my breath for "basically WWE All Stars".

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
So they're franchising the Playgrounds idea and bringing it to WWE? Hmmm.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy day one a return to the Day of reckoning formula
even if I'm not following WWE since ... CM Punk, I think..?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Next, we want to address WWE 2K20. We've heard and appreciate your feedback, and continue to listen to you closely. Since launch, we've released five title updates, addressing hundreds of reported concerns

Good for youuuuuu. Meanwhile:

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
This reminds me of that NBA game with the chibi players, which pretty much was copying NBA jam. I forget thee name.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
EWnaiGeUEAAhxos

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Character models look terrible.

Here's a long rant about the directionlessness of the 2K Series. I'm glad they're taking time off. I hope they re-evaluate the game over the next couple years. It's a shame that the best major brand wrestling games are still games that came out almost 20 years ago.

People are inevitably going to make the point that "I'm glad they're making an arcady wrestling game instead of a sim..." but the 2K wrestling games aren't sims. They don't know what they want to be. I haven't played the games in two years because they've just been bad videogames and I'm not going to bother getting frustrated doing something that should be simple in a wrestling game, but is needlessly complex. My old examples of how they didn't know what type of game they wanted to be was that it'd be much much harder to perform simple moves like body slams or suplexes, than it is to perform the "WOW" finishers or the"OMG" moments. To perform a body slam, you'd usually have to lock up in some specific way, win a lock-up scenario, and hit two buttons usually a directional and a face button but don't hit the face button twice or hold it down because then you perform a choke or a headlock, or w/e. And finally, after a complex number of button presses, your opponent has a strong likelihood of reversing this basic move, and you get to perform a simple, routine body slam. Meanwhile, to perform an "OMG" moment where you suplex a guy off of a ladder through the announce table or perform your finished or something, you have to hit one button ... R3/Stick... And then the game "performs the awesome" for you.

I know they've changed some of these mechanics, so instead of the marble chase game or the marble puzzle game, you have some other puzzle or complex system. I haven't played the games longer than an hour or two in a few years now, and so while some things have changed and my specific criticism might not apply, the broader argument of the directionless of the series still does.

It's torn in so many more ways. Complex mini games for things that should be simple, like the bizarre marble minigame that used ot pop up whenever you'd perform any submission maneuver, and if you didn't do the marble game right then the move would be an advantage for your opponent, not you. It abstracted so many things that should be simple into these complex puzzles that would turn gameplay into small mini-games ... the MArble chase game where you have to chase your opponents blue marble, the circle marble game where to grab a brief case or belt in a ladder match you have to rotate a marble into a slot ... Like, "the game" in these games was completing these silly mini-games, not a wrestling game.

The 2K games didn't know if they wanted to emulate wrestling, MMA fighting, or Street FIghter-like competitive fighting games. So they just kinda mishmashed everything together. In some ways they emulate wrestling, as matched would get scored for quality in the career mode, or they'd ask you to do certain tasks in the MyPlayer/Superstar mode (e.g., body slam your opponent on the outside to unlock a cut scene), or entertain the crowd with specific moves or actions that give you certain powers/abilities/advantage. In some ways they want to be an MMA game, with complex controls for what should be fairly simple commands. And then in other ways they want to see themselves as a competitive fighting game where people want to win in their matches regardless of who they're wrestling with, and an experienced player should dominate a match much like an experience Street Fighter player would.

The games just don't have an identity. The 2K games have added all of this bizarre complexity but they don't know what they're doing or what direction they're going in. Ultimately, they should be trying to emulate professional wrestling, a worked-contest where both wrestlers are in on the performance. Obviously you still want players to compete to win, but performing wrestling moves should be simple, simple button presses, and the contest/competition in the game should be around strategy, not complexity of performing moves. The best analog outside of the older wrestling games should be a game like NBA Street Vol 3. The core gameplay was easy to learn, and novices could perform cool dribbling moves, cool passes, cool dunks within their first or second game ... A novice could feel like they're competing in the game because they can score, dribble, steal, block shots, and do everything that they want to do in a basketball gmae. But, a novice would still lose every game to a more experienced player, because the skill in the game was understanding the strategy ... Knowing which moves to perform when, knowing when to save key power-up moments, knowing a few offensive patterns and then defense counters to those and mix/matching them, identifying weaknesses and mismatches between the rosters and trying to exploit them or cover up your own.

Pro wrestling games that are trying to attract a large audience should go in this direction. It should be easy and rewarding to control your wrestlers and make them perform cool moves and make an entertaining match ... In WWE 2K games of the past, if you were a novice to the series, it was very complex to do simple manuevers like body slams and suplexes ... I remember when I started playing WWE 2K13 or 14 or something, I was so confused why Hogan or Stone Cold in my career mode kept doing stupid headlocks and sleeper holds, when I wanted them to be power guys or brawlers. It was because of this bizarrely complex input system and poor tutorials. A new player to the series should be able to compete with a seasoned player....... But it should be rare that they should actually win. In WWE 2K, this isn't the case, a person who is familiar with the complex inputs, bizarre systems in the game, and the quirks, can basically keep offense for an entire "match," but that's not how pro wrestling is, especially these days as you have fewer squashes. The advantage should come in the strategy of the match... Knowing when to save a special move, knowing different phases of offense and defense. Those old WCW vs. NWO games, or WWF No Mercy, or Wrestlemania 2000, or the old Smackdowns were fun for that reason. Within about 1 - 2 matches, just about anybody felt like they had a handle on the controls and the inputs to do fun things in the game ... They felt like they were in control of their wrestler and *could* win a match, but the advantage game in the person who as more experienced in the strategy of it.

2K hears what people say, "I want an arcady wrestling game, not a sim!" but they don't get what people are asking. So, instead of making a wrestling game that is easy to pick up and play but has complex strategy, they make a wrestling game where you can feed your opponents to alligators.

Anyway. Long pointless rant but I'm in an online meeting doing nothing.

Last edited:

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Ew.

I know it's not possible, but they really should've just remastered All Stars, either pay or got rid of certain wrestlers and added new ones and just moved on with that, because this looks like ass.

mQt4X7A.png

Okay, not that bad, but it's close.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
The characters look like they're suffering from dwarfism. Especially the females.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
those character models are absolutely awful, but Saber could pull off some fun gameplay here. i'm interested.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
Oh its the nba playground style. Bummer i could go for a new wwe allstars game i dont expect this to be good given the nba games were very bad.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Yeah... I think the models are miserable, but going completely over the top with the gameplay and scenarios honestly sounds great. Like, the gator brings back memories of throwing someone off of a huge sign in the middle of (I think) Times Square in Here Comes the Pain--ultra ridiculous stuff. Depending on the price, I may have to give it a chance.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Looks like the WWE All-Stars art style which I wasn't a huge fan of, but I was a huge fan of the gameplay in All-Stars. So I'm interested.

It's also sad/telling that they have to advertise the men's side with two basically retired wrestlers (Cena/Rock).

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Not against the idea of it, but the character art is bad. Especially the women look weird. All Stars had that shit down.