• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Developped by Wildfiregame, couldn't find any info them, seems to be their first game

Announced for 2020, looks really clean, and obviously a big inspiration from Muramasa!

%E5%9C%BA%E6%99%AF.gif

%E9%80%90%E5%B8%A7%E5%8A%A8%E7%94%BB.gif

%E6%88%98%E6%96%97.gif

From the steam page

he Oriental Exorcist is a stunning 2D side-scrolling action RPG set in a fictitious oriental world with the infestation of vicious demon monsters. Play as a skilled exorcist against chaotic evil to fight your way through the brutal world, and experience unforeseen entanglements of complex beings.

• Fantasy World – As a "Exorcist," you will go through various shapes and forms of area during the way of the execute, all in form of hand-painted, showing the vibrant fantasy world of the East.
  • Frame-by-Frame Animation – Adopting the hand-drawn frame-by-frame animation method, the battle and actions of the characters in the game makes each stroke of the "Dragon Man" show the best expressiveness and smooth combat experience.
  • Demon Slayer – Adding Stamina setting to the game, which makes the combat experience more focused on the timing and distance, players can find their own way of "execute" with different types of skills.
  • Human State – Using cross-line interlude narrative drive stories to present a bloody and fleshy image of the execute, and the people that two protagonists encounter on the way to the execute are hidden behind their own stories.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
"Oriental"? That's not the preferred nomenclature unless they're making something that comments on imperialism. Otherwise looks good.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Aaaaand into the list it goes. That looks absolutely breathtaking.

"Oriental"? That's not the preferred nomenclature unless they're making something that comments on imperialism. Otherwise looks good.

What is it, out of curiosity? At least here in Spain when we talk about mythology or that specific style we call it Oriental.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Orient(al) is not seen as an offensive terminology in the East Asians regions. Given that this is a Chinese developer, my first assumption would be that it's a choice of word that is used without recognition of the broader negative implications of that word in the west.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Hah, this game is published by bilibili, didn't know they also do publishing on steam.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
We're starting to get some really beautiful looking 2D games from China.

The player characters moves here are inconsistent though, especially the spins.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Orient(al) is not seen as an offensive terminology in the East Asians regions. Given that this is a Chinese developer, my first assumption would be that it's a choice of word that is used without recognition of the broader negative implications of that word in the west.

Ahh, my mistake. I wasn't aware it was a Chinese dev.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Same. I'm Brazilian though.

Anyway, amazing artstyle. I will keep an eye on this game.

"Oriental" being used to describe people is offensive in US due to our history of anti-Asian racist campaigns (particularly 1800s-1970s, involving wide scale lynchings/massacres, stripping of rights, and prohibitions on entry, as well as negative depictions/propaganda). The term doesn't carry the same connotations elsewhere.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
What is it, out of curiosity? At least here in Spain when we talk about mythology or that specific style we call it Oriental.

As a fellow Spaniard: the equivalent English term for Spanish' "oriental" is "Eastern" (and "occidental" = "Western"). For some reason, oriental has some racist connotations in English. This and "negro" always throws us Spanish-speakers for a loop. :D

The developers seem to be Chinese so it's likely they weren't aware of the connotations (although it's also possible they're fully aware and are using it intently, like "Whore of Orient").

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Oriental" being used to describe people is offensive in US due to our history of anti-Asian racist campaigns (particularly 1800s-1970s, involving wide scale lynchings/massacres, stripping of rights, and prohibitions on entry, as well as negative depictions/propaganda). The term doesn't carry the same connotations elsewhere.

Woah, America didn't exist when the Europeans were colonising the "orient". Let's not make everything about America, this word goes back hundreds of years as a way of othering nations when Europeans were trying to take over the world.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if anyone noticed but on Steam Page in the title it says "The Oriental Exorcist " but in the description, it says"The Eastern Exorcist". Maybe the title is auto-translated or something?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if anyone noticed but on Steam Page in the title it says "The Oriental Exorcist " but in the description, it says"The Eastern Exorcist". Maybe the title is auto-translated or something?
It's definitely auto-translated, many of the sentences in the description further down are super stilted. I'm sure if someone writes the developer about the problematic history of the word "oriental", they would change it quickly.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
As a fellow Spaniard: the equivalent English term for Spanish' "oriental" is "Eastern" (and "occidental" = "Western"). For some reason, oriental has some racist connotations in English. This and "negro" always throws us Spanish-speakers for a loop. :D

The developers seem to be Chinese so it's likely they weren't aware of the connotations (although it's also possible they're fully aware and are using it intently, like "Whore of Orient").
Oh, okay, thanks! I figured it would have to do something with Western/Eastern, but I wouldn't have imagined that Oriental would somehow be offensive, considering it's basically a synonimous for Eastern. Thankfully I've never used "negro" outside of Spain though, it just sounds so terrible and dirty in English lmao

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Woah, America didn't exist when the Europeans were colonising the "orient". Let's not make everything about America, this word goes back hundreds of years as a way of othering nations when Europeans were trying to take over the world.
But the word isn't offensive or derogatory in Europe, at least in my experience. It may be "othering", but it is not considered offensive I believe. The word seems to have become slur-like in America.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is supposed to feature in Sony's China Joy show tomorrow (1 August).

Bandate

Nov 6, 2017
Game looks rad but people that are saying the word isn't offensive, are you of Asian descent by any chance?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this different from the Muramas inspired game from an era member? This looks beautiful
Game looks rad but people that are saying the word isn't offensive, are you of Asian descent by any chance?
From SE Asia here and pretty sure Oriental isn't offensive, it's used even to describe something authentic from China like food etc.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Chinese here - living in Southeast Asia; Malaysia. Over here, there are literally thousands of hotels, restaurants, etc that use the word Oriental without any negative connotation, as shown in this generic google maps results:

PJQ1ptj.png

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
But the word isn't offensive or derogatory in Europe, at least in my experience. It may be "othering", but it is not considered offensive I believe. The word seems to have become slur-like in America.

It is, it's just that people still use it. If you called someone an oriental it would not be cool.

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Loving the styling, and it's Chinese developed? Interested to see the quality of gameplay.

Off-topic, I'm a British-born Filipino and "oriental" is not seen as an offensive term in the UK (loads of shops and restaurants use it and in Colindale, North London there used to a massive shopping centre called Oriental City).

One of my English teachers during my A Levels was American and was surprised that we still used the term. She explained why it's offensive in North America.

For context, we use "Asian" here to refer to those from the Indian subcontinent (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc.) whereas "oriental" can be used for Far East or South East Asians.

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
It is, it's just that people still use it. If you called someone an oriental it would not be cool.
Well, yeah, but "an oriental" and "oriental" aren't the same. The dictionary lists the noun as offensive, but not the adjective.
Isn't it similar with the word black? "He is a black" is not cool at all either.
I'm open to learning new stuff, but it seems like there's an important distinction there.

"Oriental Exorcist" seems like a harmless title, unlike "The Oriental" or something.

Edit: I'm not an English native speaker, but the post by Tu101uk above is exactly how I understood the situation.