• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tamim, the person who revealed this a few months back, just posted a very well thought out apology for how he handled the situation (in his desperation he outed the victim as well).

One of the replies to the tweet comes from a TO in the community and it's one of the most disgusting things I've read.

If you check his other tweets he, unsurprisingly, has a... Hot take on this whole Ally situation. Well, at least I learned the term "cancel culture" today whatever that is. I don't really want to know.

What I do know is this is a person not fit to be in any leadership position whatsoever.

I knew it was only a matter of time before takes like these came in. THIS is why people drag the Smash community. Not the horrible actions of a few people, but the number of prominent people who will step up to defend them because they're good at the game.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I apologize as maybe I've just had too much beer to drink on this 4th of July, but I'm having trouble following this story. Who is Tamim? I understand that CaptainZack was clearly underage, but what's the deal with his ex-girlfriend? Was she also underage when they dated?
Tamim, formerly Mistake, was a Bayonetta main who got a lot of hate in Smash 4 who publicly quit Smash a couple months ago. When he did that he called out two players for dating/going after underage players, Staticmanny and Ally, without consulting the other people involved. StaticManny was banned (maybe for only a few months, I don't quite remember) but Ally wasn't because CaptainZach denied it was a thing. Last weekend after getting eliminated at CEO, CaptainZach posted a photo of him and Ally and confirmed that they were romantically involved before deleting his Twitter account, leading Ally to step down several days later.

For the whole ex-girlfriend thing, read this
TLDR: A long abusive relationship where a professional and personal relationship became dangerously intertwined

So it's a big complicated mess. At the very least it's clear Ally has some major issues that he needs to address outside the Smash community. Wouldn't be a stretch at all to call him a total predator

Last edited:

VERSAT1L

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Montréal
Not all problems have to be legal. This is a clear moral problem. Like I'm around Ally's age and 16 year olds... They're so young. This is basically a teacher and student situation but in a video game context.

Not to defend Misho, but it seems like English isn't his first language, so I'm guessing he's not established in America. To cut it short, what he was trying to say - I guess - was "Dear Americans, stop imperialising the world with your politics. As opposed to what you may believe, your opinion doesn't matter to other countries where the cultures require a different perspective".
As a non-American myself, this is something I can relate to as how the US's views of the world, opinions, social debates or US politics (eg: some conclusions on this topic) are galvanizing everything around me and I don't even live in this country... Like, can we still think freely about our own problems without having the US onto our asses and tell us to solve problems - which we don't have - their own way? Perhaps for some of you this notion is entirely unconceivable.
So please, dear American people, in the name of all non-Americans, keep your problems home. Your American "moral", fights or other concerns aren't the rest of the world's. Thank you.

ps: this message is a generalization, it is not related to this thread's subject

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew it was only a matter of time before takes like these came in. THIS is why people drag the Smash community. Not the horrible actions of a few people, but the number of prominent people who will step up to defend them because they're good at the game.

Unless, of course, you're a woman in which case they will harass them to the point where they want to retire

Ally recieves lifetime ban
OP
OP

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Update: Ally has now recieved a lifetime ban from the Conduct Panel. Apparently, most major tournaments on the scene will follow what it recommends.

I feel like the community can properly move on with this.

Head of the panel hints that this is what prompted Ally to retire.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Glad they went ahead with a lifetime ban, some kind of action was long overdue given in the TeamAlly situation

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They say if you look up gamer in the dictionary, you would see a picture of trash

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's not unique to Smash. Just look at one ERA poster (who rightfully got the banhammer for it here) who was active in the VF community doing something similar just a short time prior, and the VF community is usually very good (and cut off the guy pretty much immediately).

I don't like the Smash community much, but this is on the person responsible, that's it.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the Smash community much, but this is on the person responsible, that's it.

First reply mentioned it was a secret among the community, so I can't see how they're not at fault. Someone should have said something sooner, and the fact that when someone finally did they were taken to task for it... not a good look.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It seems that a number of posters were putting this on the whole Smash community with posts like
Values are shared and spread through a community through the attitude, beliefs and actions of individuals and groups within that community. Behavioural norms are established and maintained through the explicit or implicit consent given by members of the community.

This isn't 'one bad apple spoils the bunch' or 'any extreme action by one member is representative of the whole' but yes I would absolutely be inclined to agree with a lot of the hot takes about that community.
I don't think we could accuse the whole group but TOs doing next to nothing is very telling of the kind of behaviour they find acceptable.
[/QUOTE]
Jesus Christ. Top smash community is just. . . fuck.

Shit is awful, why can't these fuckers be normal.

And using the tweets of on TO to back that up.
Tamim, the person who revealed this a few months back, just posted a very well thought out apology for how he handled the situation (in his desperation he outed the victim as well).

One of the replies to the tweet comes from a TO in the community and it's one of the most disgusting things I've read.

If you check his other tweets he, unsurprisingly, has a... Hot take on this whole Ally situation. Well, at least I learned the term "cancel culture" today whatever that is. I don't really want to know.

What I do know is this is a person not fit to be in any leadership position whatsoever.

But If I'm understanding the current situation correctly...
Update: Ally has now recieved a lifetime ban from the Conduct Panel. Apparently, most major tournaments on the scene will follow what it recommends.

I feel like the community can properly move on with this.

Head of the panel hints that this is what prompted Ally to retire.

The conduct panel, which if I'm understanding this correctly, is made up of or at least oversees a number of TOs decided to lifetime ban Ally, seemingly before he even announced his "retirement."

Aren't they more representative of the Smash community than the actions of Ally and the idiotic tweets of one TO? It really doesn't seem fair to continue to blast the Smash community when it seems that community acted quickly to lifetime ban the player when the information came to light.

Granted I could not be understanding what this conduct panel actually is.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
The problem is that there's still too many incidents of top players doing some heinous shit and many dumb fans of said top players defending their unexcusable actions, which makes it seems like everybody is okay since many detractors aren't as loud with their condemnation.

Fortunately, many of the perpetrators have been dealt proper punishment but it will be a miracle if the Smash community can spend, like, two months without making some scandal.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The problem is that there's still too many incidents of top players doing some heinous shit and many dumb fans of said top players defending their unexcusable actions, which makes it seems like everybody is okay since many detractors aren't as loud with their condemnation.

Fortunately, many of the perpetrators have been dealt proper punishment but it will be a miracle if the Smash community can spend, like, two months without making some scandal.
Are these issue unique to Smash or issues that will arise when a community is seemingly enormous? I'm using traditional sports as my reference point, but doesn't what you describe with regards fans excusing terrible actions happen in "real" sports too? ( I honestly don't keep up with sports or E-sports that closely so this is a legit question)

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Considering how inoffensive Smash is as a game, I think the safest bet is to say that the playerbase is big enough that a lot of people will inevitably be weirdos, instead of making a risky correlation where the game turns people into twisted fuckers.

EDIT: also worth considering the age factor. Many fans are still kids and teenagers and will say dumb things on the internet and defend people they look up to.

Kamon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At what age does become a bullshit rule? Like does it matter past a reasonable age?

You would not give the side eye for a 52 year old settling down with a 30 year old.
I still don't think that's the norm? Sure, it's not really anything morally gray but a 30 year old and a 52 year old are still at different life stages. I wouldn't be side eyeing them, but I'd still bat an eye and be more curious about their story than if they were with people close to their age.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Yikes, this is weird. Gross
On the topic, I personally think stuff like 18 and 21 is fine if both are in uni. Like it's not uncommon for 18 year olds to be that age during their entire first year and a lot of 3rd year students are 21. I know some say drinking age stuff but I don't drink anyway.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I still don't think that's the norm? Sure, it's not really anything morally gray but a 30 year old and a 52 year old are still at different life stages. I wouldn't be side eyeing them, but I'd still bat an eye and be more curious about their story than if they were with people close to their age.

A 30 year old is a grown ass adult. A 16 year old child is not. The math is super simple on this.

Too many enablers like to play fuzzy math with this subject. Gross. Most normal people know grown ass adults shouldn't be rolling up on 16 year olds.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I saw this on twitter and was wondering, do you think its accurate to say 18 and 21 is predatory in general? Granted, I also see people saying 18 and 20 on twitter is weird so I think people are overreacting

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing self-admitted sexual misconduct with a minor as gossip; previous severe infraction.
GossipEra strikes again. We don't know the specifics of their situation, let's not ostracise Ally immediately.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Please tell me there are no states that allow a 16 and 30 year old to be in a relationship. I thought 17 year olds couldn't legally have relationships with 30 year olds in the Seinfeld thread but was corrected :(

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
"We shouldn't be punishing the 28 year old who was in a relationship with a CHILD, we don't know all the details. Maybe the child seduced him"

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GossipEra strikes again. We don't know the specifics of their situation, let's not ostracise Ally immediately.

He was simultaneously banned by a panel of Tourney Organizers and announced his retirement from the scene upon confirming this story. This really isn't a "we need to wait for more facts" situation.

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
16 and 28 is always wrong....
"We shouldn't be punishing the 28 year old who was in a relationship with a CHILD, we don't know all the details. Maybe the child seduced him"
If it actually were a moral absolute that dating a 16 y/o is wrong no matter what, then here's to another 300 posts bashing on Ally from an anonymous position. Such a lovely community.

He was simultaneously banned by a panel of Tourney Organizers and announced his retirement from the scene upon confirming this story. This really isn't a "we need to wait for more facts" situation.
I'm not saying we need more facts. I'm saying those that have the facts should do the judging for us. It's such a personal matter.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me there are no states that allow a 16 and 30 year old to be in a relationship. I thought 17 year olds couldn't legally have relationships with 30 year olds in the Seinfeld thread but was corrected :(
the age of consent is 16 in more than half of states. so yes, it's legal all over the place and creepy as hell.
If it actually were a moral absolute that dating a 16 y/o is wrong no matter what, then here's to another 300 posts bashing on Ally from an anonymous position. Such a lovely community.
Yes, dude, it's always fucking gross for a 28 year old to have a romantic or sexual relationship with a 16 year old.

Last edited: