• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Europe tends to be more accepting with teenagers dating 20-somethings, some people may raise an eyebrow or two, but nothing out of ordinary.

As an example, mr. President de la France, who began dating his teacher, 24 years his senior when he was 15-16 years old:

First of all, Europe is no monolithic entity. The cultural gulf between Portugal and Latvia is massive.

Secondly, "Europe" is no more accepting of it than the US. 16 and 29, give or take, may not be illegal but it's still not sth many will look approvingly on.

And finally, your example of it somehow being more accepted because "look at Macron" simply doesn't work at all. I have literally never heard of anything even remotely similar happening here. His personal history has never stopped being extremely weird. It's just that at this point they are both consenting adults, and certainly the one difference between you and us is that we don't tend to care much about our politicians' private lives so long as there is nothing heinous (and illegal) going on there.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Omfg!!

"Bbbbut Macron and France says it's ok!"

Good luck Smash community. If I was a parent no fucking way I'd let my kid near EVO.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Can i recommend people not come into this thread trying to justify Ally (28) dating Zack (16).
It's... not a good look. ;(

Think of this from the perspective of parents of teens, also the teens themselves who are being groomed.

Oct 25, 2017
Can i recommend people not come into this thread trying to justify Ally (28) dating Zack (16).
It's... not a good look. ;(

Think of this from the perspective of parents of teens, also the teens themselves who are being groomed.
It's true, you'd think gaming would be a safe space, not some hunting ground for 28 year old child molestors/groomers

Deleted member 18192

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a totally garbage made up arbitrary rule
Why it works for teens and into 20s after that who cares.

This is coming from someone who lives in a country where 16 is legal age but a 16 yr old and 14year old is not an issue because... It's not. Anyone 20+ should not be dating teens and in general rule of 7 deals with that

Deleted member 18192

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So u missed my point about how it's no longer an issue after 20 because yes I agree. But for under 20 it works fine. Nobody over 20 should be dating 18 year olds and nobody over 18 should be dating 16 year olds.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I assumed there was some truth to tamim's allegations since Ally's "personal history" of iffy conduct is one that has conveniently been swept under the rug for quite some time now. Zack's tweet from CEO cemented that fact for me, and I suspect if it was still up or if CEO TOs knew the context behind it, Ally would've been dq'd on the spot.

Good on Ally I guess for personally choosing to retire but I hope he gets a more hard stanced ban. The FGC really sucks at handling these things - and no, I'm not gonna centralize this to Smash because the only difference between those is that Smash is played by more people.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If they over 21 and the gaps 20 years then it's fine as you'd think the 21 year old is a mature adult who can make their own decisions. The guy defending it above doesn't look at the context. If he was 40 and the other person was 28 nobody would bat a eyelid.

But 16 is like grooming behaviour. People at 16 don't know what the hell they doing and they more easily manipulated.
Even if I was 35 I wouldn't date a 21 year old, I still find a lot of them are still immature.

JigsawPSN

Banned
Apr 11, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Excusing predatory behavior towards minors; account still in junior phase
Um really u gonna try justify a 20+ year old dating a 16 year old?

there is nothing to justify, this is normal in like every part of the world but america, i've grown up going to school in germany where 14-15 year old class mates had boyfriends with cars. i saw it every day, its totally normal and socially accepted over year. if you are 18+ you have to get the ok from the parents, but everyone is like "yeah , well, we were young too, have fun, just dont get pregnant"

Deleted member 18192

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there is nothing to justify, this is normal in like every part of the world but america, i've grown up going to school in germany where 14-15 year old class mates had boyfriends with cars. i saw it every day, its totally normal and socially accepted over year. if you are 18+ you have to get the ok from the parents, but everyone is like "yeah , well, we were young too, have fun, just dont get pregnant"

20+ dating 16 is not normal worldwide. 18 and 16 sure. Normal as your still in school based friend groups. Let's say a 25 year old... They should have nothing in common with a 16 year old child.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

It's not normal in the UK or socially accepted, anyone 18+ going out with a 14-15 year old would be looked at as extremely dodgy.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
not true at all, unless you were in super weird social circles, but these are not normal.

Deleted member 18192

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not normal in the UK or socially accepted, anyone 18+ going out with a 14-15 year old would be looked at as extremely dodgy plus it's illegal in the first place.

Neither is it in New Zealand our Australia. But then we don't prosecute two 14 year olds for having sex even though it's illegal. It's called common sense

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This is so disappointing to learn about. Ally was one of the top players I most respected prior to all of this. That is not the case anymore.

Zack doesn't deserve to go through any of this, especially after dealing with all the toxicity following his EVO performance last year. No wonder he deleted his Twitter account after confirming what Tamim said about Ally dating him.

EDIT: Why are people blaming the Smash community on this? No one knew what was going on until very recently. Both parties were denying it was happening until Zack deleted his Twitter.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
It's normal while you're still in school together, so like 15-16 y/o with 18 y/o

If they're in university or employment that's fucking weird

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhh in my country thats extremely weord ,so no thats not an America only thing

OP
OP

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I live in Sweden and this is defo not socially acceptable. If grown up people date 16 year olds they keep it secret.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017

lol

this is not the hill to die on

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
CaptainZach said that it was a weird one-time thing, a couple months ago when Tamim quit, did he change his public stance on the matter since then? I haven't kept up much with Ultimate as of late so perhaps I missed it. The whole TeamAlly thing was hugely questionable though so I've felt he ought to retire or at least take a self imposed suspension for some time. I wonder if the Bocce situation has anything to do with this, the timing is certainly suspect

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wasnt there other case of SMASH TOs sweeping under the rug a pro player dating a minor?

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
This is just going to be another thread in which people drop hot takes about the Smash community without ever saying how is this even the communities fault isn't it?

The Smash community is how this 28 year old met the 16 year old. Likely leveraging his position as a player to someone way younger that admired him. It's not unrelated

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CaptainZach said that it was a weird one-time thing, a couple months ago when Tamim quit, did he change his public stance on the matter since then? I haven't kept up much with Ultimate as of late so perhaps I missed it. The whole TeamAlly thing was hugely questionable though so I've felt he ought to retire or at least take a self imposed suspension for some time. I wonder if the Bocce situation has anything to do with this, the timing is certainly suspect
While I don't have the picture on me (and I wouldn't know if it's a good idea to post it), after he got eliminated from CEO, Zack tweeted a picture of himself with a timestamped note that read "Tamim was telling the truth", this despite denying his allegations from months ago. He deleted his Twitter account almost immediately after the fact, but internet caught wind of it and it sent the community into a bit of a muted stir, ironically the way I found out about it was through Twitch chat (and someone told me that /v/ apparently talked about it in the CEO threads). This was on Saturday, so evidently it didn't make enough rounds at that point to impact Ally's performance on Sunday.