• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The allegations had been out there for some time but both Ally and the other party had previously denied it, until the other party this week indicated it was indeed true.

As a follower of the scene, I must say it is indeed shocking. I'm happy he retires but also hope there is a ban put in place too in case he changes his mind.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeaah allegations were more or less a šŸ¤ for awhile among community, but yeah fuck that. I felt awkward at 3 years apart and just legal, how the hell is 30 and 16 ok, like, have some decency.

Regardless unfortunate, smash community is on a roll this week.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Both controversies this week involving Ally in some capacity. I'm happy bocchi had a happy ending and I consider this another one. A 30 year old man has no business dating a 16 year old boy.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Good on him for retiring.
Good on everyone else for being okay.
This was a very bad week for the Smash community.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get where you're coming from with all the recent news but how is this the community's fault?
Well the response tamim got for intitially coming forth with these accusations can be critiziced. It's true he didn't do it in a good way but without him, this might still be hush-hush today. He has also already quit the scene after hate which has gone on since his Bayo days in Smash 4.

I'll agree tho this is more a story of a grown ass man thinking that dating kids is ok.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
This is just going to be another thread in which people drop hot takes about the Smash community without ever saying how is this even the communities fault isn't it?

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
User Banned (1 Month): Rationalizing Inappropriate Relationships with Minors
Did they were dating when she was younger ? Under 15 or something? Like in Europe and probably in most of the world, this case wouldn't be a problem.. there isn't anything illegal ... You can be 40 and can date a 15 year old.. how you look at it, is your thing but if it's isn't illegal, you can't do anything against it and you can't be fired or something like that here because of that.. if there isn't any law against it, who cares, no?

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did they were dating when she was younger ? Under 15 or something? Like in Europe and probably in most of the world, this case wouldn't be a problem.. there isn't anything illegal ... You can be 40 and can date a 15 year old.. how you look at it, is your thing but if it's isn't illegal, you can't do anything against it and you can't be fired or something like that here because of that.. if there isn't any law against it, who cares, no?
Ew

OP
OP

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not all problems have to be legal. This is a clear moral problem. Like I'm around Ally's age and 16 year olds... They're so young. This is basically a teacher and student situation but in a video game context.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
That's a yikes from me dawg.

Yikes to you too.

There's a lot of legal stuff that's not fucking cool, this is one of those cases to me. I totally get a 16 years old wanting to date a 28 year old but the "imbalance" there is kinda icky. A 28 year old should know better than to try to get in a kid's pants.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
This is just going to be another thread in which people drop hot takes about the Smash community without ever saying how is this even the communities fault isn't it?

wouldn't be a Smash thread without moral grandstanding.
That said, there are definitely problems with Smash that stem from being mostly grassroots tournaments full of young men with sometimes pretty lax regulation.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
.....How old is your girl?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Uh

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If my 15 year old kid was dating a 28 year old person, I'd lose my shit. No matter if it was legal or not.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I follow the smash community but just the tournaments and shit. The drama is really lost on me. That said what's the other thing that happened this week?
15 year old girl bocchi who beat Ally (yes this Ally) in tournament got a lot of love but also a lot of hate, which drove her to announce retirement. This sparked a lot of support for her and she changed her mind and said she'll try and only focus on the love from now on.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're basically dating a teen as an adult. You have ten years more life experience. Your brain is hopefully fully matured at this point. You don't suffer that heavily from emotional instability anymore. Your identity has more or less developed.

I don't see the appeal to date a 16-year-old girl.

Oct 25, 2017
Initially read 28 as 20 and thought hey what's the big deal. That isn't that bad.

Then I saw it was 28 and thought damn I'm glad I didn't post while thinking it was that.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
You're basically dating a teen as an adult. You have ten years more life experience. Your brain is hopefully fully matured at this point. You don't suffer that heavily from emotional instability anymore. Your identity has more or less developed.

I don't see the appeal to date a 16-year-old girl.
But we all know what the "appeal" would be... and yikes, yikes, yikes.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait isn't this the guy that the 15-year old girl defeated, and got bullied because of that or am I mixing things up?

OP
OP

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait isn't this the guy that the 15-year old girl defeated, and got bullied because of that or am I mixing things up?
Yep! She got a ton of support after announcing her intention to retire tho so she has changed her mind. A lot of people in the community got really upset at that.

Just to be clear though, Ally had no involvement in this story other than getting bodied.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
More surprises in the smash community than the new character reveals... Only they're all bad surprises. Fucking a, what's wrong with these people

Oct 27, 2017
If they over 21 and the gaps 20 years then it's fine as you'd think the 21 year old is a mature adult who can make their own decisions. The guy defending it above doesn't look at the context. If he was 40 and the other person was 28 nobody would bat a eyelid.

But 16 is like grooming behaviour. People at 16 don't know what the hell they doing and they more easily manipulated.

Oct 25, 2017

Values are shared and spread through a community through the attitude, beliefs and actions of individuals and groups within that community. Behavioural norms are established and maintained through the explicit or implicit consent given by members of the community.

This isn't 'one bad apple spoils the bunch' or 'any extreme action by one member is representative of the whole' but yes I would absolutely be inclined to agree with a lot of the hot takes about that community.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep! She got a ton of support after announcing her intention to retire tho so she has changed her mind. A lot of people in the community got really upset at that.

Just to be clear though, Ally had no involvement in this story other than getting bodied.
Fuck am I glad to hear that. She's an awesome player. Isabelle biatches!

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
If i'm reading this correctly, the ex-girlfriend and the teenager he dated are separate people, unless his ex-girlfriend competed under the name Zack.