• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly the "no-call list" is a failure.

Something radical needs to be done immediately.

There needs to be a severe penalty. Not just a simple fine that they can easily pay off or weasel out of. How about kill on sight? That will shut it down real quick.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I got one last week that came up as Social Security on my display. Thankfully, my Pixel has a button that will answer with an automated message to screen unknown callers. They immediately hang up, and my phone automatically blocks the number.

There's no jail deep enough for these people.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I work in this field. The reason why robocalls are a horrible thing are two-fold:

1. Before SIP (phone calls over internet), only "reputable" companies had the capacity to originate phone calls, and everybody trusted everybody, so if Bahamas Telecom said the call was coming from Bob Dole's cellphone, then you knew it really was coming from Bob Dole. Now, with SIP, people can lie to, say, my provider, T-mobile because the SS7 protocol that phone companies use to talk to themselves was designed 40 years ago and is completely insecure. They've been talking about how to secure it for the better part of a decade. The phone companies (especially the likes of AT&T and Verizon) move incredibly slow. Google stir/shaken for more.

2. The phone companies get paid to let those robocalls come through to you. That's right. The spammers are effectively a (small) revenue stream for phone companies, so they're not feeling a huge sense of urgency about ending them. Their solution is to sell customers $3 and $4 add-ons for enhanced called ID and robocall filtering services, and profit from your misery, instead of having pride in what their network carries. If this were Japan, they would have shot themselves in the foot ;) . If Verizon lost money every time they routed a spam call, . It would light a righteous fire under their ass. As it is the FCC is prodding them to do more, but they're super late.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I get way more spam than relevant phone calls and text messages (the text messages because some fool accidentally used my phone number for something they signed up for).

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I get 26.3 billion robocalls to my cell phone in the average week.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
"I'm calling about the car accident you were in, is that right?"

BUT YOU DIDN'T EVEN ASK FOR MY NAME

Robocall companies, whenever they do get fined, it is a pitiful amount. Like it barely even dents the profit they made off their activities. Say a company earns $20,000 I think they should be charged $60,000 in order to really kick these bastards in the balls.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I get them at least 3-4 times a day on my personal and work phone. The problem is I have to answer the work phone.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I work in this field. The reason why robocalls are a horrible thing are two-fold:

1. Before SIP (phone calls over internet), only "reputable" companies had the capacity to originate phone calls, and everybody trusted everybody, so if Bahamas Telecom said the call was coming from Bob Dole's cellphone, then you knew it really was coming from Bob Dole. Now, with SIP, people can lie to, say, my provider, T-mobile because the SS7 protocol that phone companies use to talk to themselves was designed 40 years ago and is completely insecure. They've been talking about how to secure it for the better part of a decade. The phone companies (especially the likes of AT&T and Verizon) move incredibly slow. Google stir/shaken for more.

2. The phone companies get paid to let those robocalls come through to you. That's right. The spammers are effectively a (small) revenue stream for phone companies, so they're not feeling a huge sense of urgency about ending them. Their solution is to sell customers $3 and $4 add-ons for enhanced called ID and robocall filtering services, and profit from your misery, instead of having pride in what their network carries. If this were Japan, they would have shot themselves in the foot ;) . If Verizon lost money every time they routed a spam call, . It would light a righteous fire under their ass. As it is the FCC is prodding them to do more, but they're super late.

Thanks for the info. Would it be possible to screen for calls originating outside of the target phone's country? I feel like that would get rid of a lot of robocalls, seeing as a lot of them operate in other countries to get by US law.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Great info thanks!

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Been getting a lot of robocalls, and from random places too from Kalamath Falls, Oregon to Oklahoma to West Virginia. I can't even tell what they're selling half the time because the robocall voicemail starts when my voicemail greeting does, so I only get half of it.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
The ones that piss me off the most (I get them on the answering machine - that is how i know) are the ones that a robotic voice says the cops are looking for you and a warrant for your arrest is out. Now, I always thinking about vulnerable folks, older and younger just freaking out about this stuff.

Makes me so nervous for my parents as they age, because my dad can be a little gullible from time to time.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I get several daily and it's extremely frustrating. I never answer numbers I don't know anymore. If it's important they'll leave a message.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Thanks for the info. Would it be possible to screen for calls originating outside of the target phone's country? I feel like that would get rid of a lot of robocalls, seeing as a lot of them operate in other countries to get by US law.

Unfortunately, the moment you touch the internet (with SIP), then you can use proxies and stuff to bypass geo-locks. Genie is out of the bottle, so to speak. Here is a very readable article on the topic:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/05/how-to-stop-spam-robocalls-with-stir-shaken.html

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
The worst for me is that beceause last year I was CONSISTENTLY flooded with the same robocall number that left a voicemail I just auto ignored it. When I went to clear out my voicemail a month and a half later I saw there was one number on there that was 2 numbers off from the bot calls. Turns out it was a fucking interview voicemail for a library a county over. I've never felt so angry and heartbroken in my life.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting these a lot more recently. Had 4 yesterday, it's annoying as fuck.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't pick up then how are you going to know that your car warranty is going to expire?

I've also had one where a bot just says a few words in what I assume is Chinese and then immediately hangs up too lol.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I use the Google screening service now, no one ever leaves a message and I don't have to worry about shady rumors like them harvesting voice profile or whatever.

I get about 3 a day, shit is nuts.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If someone calls me and isn't in my contacts list, I don't answer. If they leave a voicemail and aren't a bot, I'll call them back.

Absolutely ridiculous that I get spam calls as frequently as I do. I know people who answer these as too. What are you doing?

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yep the last year or so has been especially bad. Mostly car insurance or health insurance related robo calls, and they're able to piggy back on your area code so you think its someone local.....but they're not. So now I pretty much don't answer a call unless I know them. Important callers will leave a message.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I get calls daily about important changes to my student loan repayment options. I started using Robokiller on my iPhone.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do people really fall for these?
Even if you're really old or you're a kid, the voice sounds 100% like a fucking robot.
Do they eventually pass you to an actual human caller?
I'm curious how a successful robocall actually sounds like.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just got 2 this morning from Florida. I couldn't even make out what it said on the voicemail it left. Its one of the reasons why I don't answer my phone anymore. Just too many of them lately. The homephone gets a ton of robocalls.
Its obnoxious when you're waiting for a call only to answer a robocall. lol.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Oh I also still get student loan forgiveness spam calls even though I've paid off all my student loans. Someone tell that to the auto call algorithm!

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
The ones that piss me off the most (I get them on the answering machine - that is how i know) are the ones that a robotic voice says the cops are looking for you and a warrant for your arrest is out. Now, I always thinking about vulnerable folks, older and younger just freaking out about this stuff.

Makes me so nervous for my parents as they age, because my dad can be a little gullible from time to time.

I got a ton of these in a very short period, all claiming that there were warrants for my arrest in different states.

And you're completely right on old folks. Last year my grandfather committed suicide and, while not a phone call, my grandmother received a "bill" for his transport to the coroner's office. It was riddled with typos from her name to her address, but it still freaked her out. I had to explain to her a dozen times that it was a scam.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeaahhh my phone's been on do not disturb for almost a year now cuz of these. It's extra fun when they spoof my number and then I get angry people calling back yelling at me to stop calling them. Took me a while to realize that was happening.
I hope they find a way to crack down on these more in the future. I'm really not a fan of talking on the phone to begin with and random calls stress me the fuck out.

And the most annoying thing about it is, I text semi-frequently and there's no real good way to allow text message notifications but not phone calls. :/
I wish they'd add that as an option dang it. I know there's the emergency bypass, but I like keeping my phone on vibrate and that, well, bypasses that lol.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was a way to track the people running these operations so I could make their lives as miserable as possible.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Write your Congresspeople. Complain. Tell them to force the carriers to squelch all of these IP robocalls using spoofed numbers at the network level. They're literally allowing fraudsters to ruin the concept and practice of using cell phones for voice calls.