• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
My absolute favorite horror franchise. Hell, possibly THE horror franchise of gaming.

First played RE2 on N64 and remember being blown away by the graphics and cutscenes and then remember getting REmake on GC and being scared to death playing it.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I remember checking the store every day if they had it, I remember the day they did have it

it was so good, so much better than Alone in the Dark which I already loved. I also love the current iterations. one of my favorite franchises for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Still remember discovering Resident Evil for the first time because my friend brought
Jill-Valentine-Toy-Biz-resident-Evil-Action-Pose.jpg

Chris-Resident-Evil-Toy-Biz.jpg

Cerberus-Toy-Biz-Dog-Resident-Evil.jpg

To after school care to play with,
Literally went home that day and got them and the game.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Back then my parents wouldn`t allow me to play the first game because I was way too young. The sequel was put on the index here in Germany but a friend lent me his father`s copy. I remember waking up early in the morning before my parents woke up and before shool and playing 1-2 hours for a week or so. That game was a revelation...the atmosphere, the graphics, two campaigns - four different walkthroughs...man. I´ve been a fan since then.

Last edited:

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Happy anniversary to one of the best series of all time. Only became quite passionate for the series during the lead up to RE7, but I always thought it was cool looking for a while longer and dived into the series in the early 2010s thanks to RE3, Revelations, and 6 heh. At least RE2R and RE4 are among my favorite games for sure.

I'll play a little bit of Resident Evil tonight. Maybe someday I will get through the early PS1 ones titles again.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The franchise I am most devoted to, I have been there since day one and continue to be excited for every entry. 25 years ago a little after release is my favorite video game memory ever. I have been playing games since I was 3 during the NES days, I later switched to a Sega fan during the 16 bit wars and was stupidly biased for sega. During the Christmas of 95 I asked for a Sega Saturn, my older brother got a PlayStation. What is a TV company going to do with gaming, I laughed at his inferior console as I played amazing games like... Panzer Dragoon? And uhhhh...

Early the next year in magazines like Gamefan there were previews for a game called Resident Evil that looked like a horror movie. My brother was a horror nut and introduced me at a young age to all the 80s horror classics so a horror video game was right up his alley. The week RE came out we made sure to make a special night of the release. It was a Friday I believe when he picked it up, I told my best friend to come over for a sleep over because we would wait till midnight to play the game for maximum effect.

That night the wait was unbearable, but to pass the time we played another game he picked up, D. Remember D?! Well it was a horror appetizer, pretty crappy game and it only lasted like an hour and a half but it did it's job. Finally the clock strikes midnight and it's time to enter the world of survival horror!

I will never forget that night, when the title screen first comes up and Chris is running down the hall screaming we were transfixed. My brother got to go first, he picked Chris not knowing he was the harder option. The opening movie is legendary, sure it's cheesetastic but back then it was so impressive. Cast list comes out and it's like an action movie roll call, that first game knew how to make memorable characters with great unique costumes for each. I immediately knew Wesker was bad news and thus began my love to hate him. Game starts up and we have the horrible but great dialogue, never did I see a game that felt like watching a movie.

I remember cracking up the first time the controls went to the player and my brother tried to walk Chris around the dinning room failing miserably. Tank controls took some time to get used to. But he eventually made it to the first zombie, we all freaked out when it stood up and shambled toward Chris, my brother in a panic had no idea what to do. "Equip the knife!" "How?!" "Ahhhhh nooo" and Chris was dead. My brothers turn was up, it was my turn.

I always read instruction manuals so I knew Jill started with a handgun and I learned how to equip, so when I reached the zombie I shot it to bits. I reached the part where Jill and Barry split up and I went toward the infamous dog room. When I entered the room I knew from all the previews that the dogs burst through the window. Even knowing this I was terrified cause I didn't exactly know WHEN they would. All three of us were huddled close anticipating this scare and still it got us, when that dog came through the window I screams and threw the controller into the air. By the time I recovered it Jill was dead. Then it was my friends turn and he also picked Jill and got further. He did the shotgun room with the ceiling collapsing but was killed by a random zombie in one the hallways.

We took turns exploring the mansion, still one of the greatest locations in video game history. I was in love with everything about this game. Resident Evil convinced me video games were the future, not just a simple toy, games would rival movies. At that moment I left that childish Sega bias aside, I was in my brothers room playing RE almost all the time. To play RE in 96 was to see the future of gaming. I played that game every which way, Jill, Chris, under 3 hours, had the rocket launch. I could at some point play rather well with my eyes closed, the mansion was in my head.

There is something about this series that if it grips you, there is something about the characters, the locations, the monsters, the evolving storyline, it's a mythology that begs for devotion. I have played basically every RE game and will continue to do so, few has ever been so influential in different genres even, it's a remarkable run. Here is to 25 more years.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The franchise I am most devoted to, I have been there since day one and continue to be excited for every entry. 25 years ago a little after release is my favorite video game memory ever. I have been playing games since I was 3 during the NES days, I later switched to a Sega fan during the 16 bit wars and was stupidly biased for sega. During the Christmas of 95 I asked for a Sega Saturn, my older brother got a PlayStation. What is a TV company going to do with gaming, I laughed at his inferior console as I played amazing games like... Panzer Dragoon? And uhhhh...

Early the next year in magazines like Gamefan there were previews for a game called Resident Evil that looked like a horror movie. My brother was a horror nut and introduced me at a young age to all the 80s horror classics so a horror video game was right up his alley. The week RE came out we made sure to make a special night of the release. It was a Friday I believe when he picked it up, I told my best friend to come over for a sleep over because we would wait till midnight to play the game for maximum effect.

That night the wait was unbearable, but to pass the time we played another game he picked up, D. Remember D?! Well it was a horror appetizer, pretty crappy game and it only lasted like an hour and a half but it did it's job. Finally the clock strikes midnight and it's time to enter the world of survival horror!

I will never forget that night, when the title screen first comes up and Chris is running down the hall screaming we were transfixed. My brother got to go first, he picked Chris not knowing he was the harder option. The opening movie is legendary, sure it's cheesetastic but back then it was so impressive. Cast list comes out and it's like an action movie roll call, that first game knew how to make memorable characters with great unique costumes for each. I immediately knew Wesker was bad news and thus began my love to hate him. Game starts up and we have the horrible but great dialogue, never did I see a game that felt like watching a movie.

I remember cracking up the first time the controls went to the player and my brother tried to walk Chris around the dinning room failing miserably. Tank controls took some time to get used to. But he eventually made it to the first zombie, we all freaked out when it stood up and shambled toward Chris, my brother in a panic had no idea what to do. "Equip the knife!" "How?!" "Ahhhhh nooo" and Chris was dead. My brothers turn was up, it was my turn.

I always read instruction manuals so I knew Jill started with a handgun and I learned how to equip, so when I reached the zombie I shot it to bits. I reached the part where Jill and Barry split up and I went toward the infamous dog room. When I entered the room I knew from all the previews that the dogs burst through the window. Even knowing this I was terrified cause I didn't exactly know WHEN they would. All three of us were huddled close anticipating this scare and still it got us, when that dog came through the window I screams and threw the controller into the air. By the time I recovered it Jill was dead. Then it was my friends turn and he also picked Jill and got further. He did the shotgun room with the ceiling collapsing but was killed by a random zombie in one the hallways.

We took turns exploring the mansion, still one of the greatest locations in video game history. I was in love with everything about this game. Resident Evil convinced me video games were the future, not just a simple toy, games would rival movies. At that moment I left that childish Sega bias aside, I was in my brothers room playing RE almost all the time. To play RE in 96 was to see the future of gaming. I played that game every which way, Jill, Chris, under 3 hours, had the rocket launch. I could at some point play rather well with my eyes closed, the mansion was in my head.

There is something about this series that if it grips you, there is something about the characters, the locations, the monsters, the evolving storyline, it's a mythology that begs for devotion. I have played basically every RE game and will continue to do so, few has ever been so influential in different genres even, it's a remarkable run. Here is to 25 more years.

Great story! I had a similar experience and it makes me forever cherish franchise like RE that were so formative back then.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Great story! I had a similar experience and it makes me forever cherish franchise like RE that were so formative back then.

I was reading some stories above and it seems so many people had get togethers or sleepovers. It was an event type of game, something you call your friend over "you have to see this to believe it" kind of thing.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Let's see, March 1996, I was in college at time, and one of my roommates was hyping this game up for months, and in turn, he had us hyped for it.

He bought the game near day 1 of its release and we spent the entire weekend, all 4 of us, drinking, taking turns playing, solving puzzles collectively, and beating the game. It had the right amount of cheese, newness that instantly sold all of us. We replayed the game right away and tried new avenues to beat the game, basically we were hooked, and couldn't wait to play the sequel.

Afterwards, the wait for Resident Evil 2 was LONG, especially once development restarted, though it was a blessing in disguise, it was my personal GOTG. Thank you Yoshiki Okamoto for standing up to Mikami and Noboru Sugimara (RIP) for his writing prowess.

Last edited:

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
got my original saturn copy sitting right here

do you know i've beaten every mainline resi, and never beaten one on a playstation (a platform it has a strong relationship with) and i've had PS 1-4))

1 - saturn
2 - n64
3 - dreamcast
CV - dreamcast
0 - gamecube
4 - gamecube
5 - 360
6 - 360
7 - xbox one

to be honest i never realised this until i just sat here and thought about it...

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Last year, I started the road to 25 going through all the mainline titles in a deep dive retrospective format. I finished up just last month, in time for the big celebration!

I figure this is as good a time as any to share my thoughts on the OG. The level design is such a revelation, and the more open-style progression was such a great way to allow players to mix things up each time they play. Everyone could have a little bit different experience, and that's really something special that only interactive media can provide. I hadn't really hit my stride yet with my writing since it was only the first month, but hope you enjoy it!

Happy 25th, Resident Evil!!

Survival of Horror: Resident Evil (1996)

GUNSURVIVOR4

Mar 18, 2021
Signed up for a profile here to wish the series a happy birthday and celebrate the anniversary with fellow RE fans! Love the series, excited for Village!