• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
On the 23rd of December 1994, around six developers made a video game funded by a television station about a traveling sushi chef carrying a pink bag and an elastic fishing line which released on the Super Famicom in Japan.

PeLsU2n.jpg

Umihara Kawase is a Rubber Ring Action game or to put it more simply, a physics-based 2D platformer where you swing across platforms and obstacles by using an elastic fishing line trying to find any door to exit a stage.

While it didn't reach the top 30 charts on Famitsu back then. It had a cult following which led to three sequels and a spin-off that is currently in development.

You may have heard about the person who kept their Super Famicom powered on for over 20 years to ensure the replay save data on their copy of Umihara Kawase wasn't lost due to the battery dying out.

You may also remember Episode 31 of GameCenter CX where Shinya Arino's game challenge for the episode was to finish Umihara Kawase. You can watch the episode here: https://archive.org/details/0755aa3faad2bf2aa6b121f1d9ea5448

You probably haven't heard about this series because it was only available in Japan until the third game in the series released overseas on the 3DS which was called Sayonara Umihara Kawase (Yumi's Odd Odyssey in the US).

If you're interested in playing the first game of the series then this is good timing because the first trilogy: Umihara Kawase, Umihara Kawase Shun and Sayonara Umihara Kawase is available on Steam at 50% off, here's the link: https://store.steampowered.com/sub/85452/

If you don't have a PC then your other alternative is buying Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ on the PS Vita which comes with the first game Umihara Kawase in-game. Here's the link: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0967-PCSE00683_00-UMIHARAKAWASE000

I recommend playing the first trilogy of the series: Umihara Kawase, Umihara Kawase Shun, Sayonara Umihara Kawase. Start from the third title and go backwards if you want to play the easiest game and work your way up.

If you want to know more about the Umihara Kawase series, I reposted below a segment which I used for the official thread for Umihara Kawase Fresh!

ItPcDio.jpg

The meaning of the title "Umihara Kawase" comes from Japanese chef terminology meaning "Fish from the sea have fat on their bellies, and fish from rivers have fat on their backs." In Japanese, this is pronounced "Umi no sakana wa hara ni, kawa no sakana wa se ni abura ga notteru." In this series, many fatty fish of the sea and rivers appear as enemy characters.¹

Note: Umi hara kawa se = Sea belly river back

The following is a quote from a USGamer interview of Kiyoshi Sakai:

"The reason I named the game that way, I was watching a travel program on TV, and that saying came up. It sounded really good in my ear, so that's why I named the game that way."

If you'd like to learn more about the origins of Umihara Kawase, here is the link to USGamer where they interview the creator: Kiyoshi Sakai.

There are two developers that are well known for their work on the Umihara Kawase series, Kiyoshi Sakai and Toshinobu Kondo. Kiyoshi Sakai is the creator, game designer and programmer behind the Umihara Kawase series, he came up with the physics-based platforming for Umihara Kawase by use of an elastic fishing line. Toshinobu Kondo is the illustrator and hence gave us the character design of Umihara Kawase. They have worked on every title in the series excluding Umihara Kawase Portable.

Disclaimer: The following historical information regarding TNN and XING may be inaccurate due to lack of verification.

Kiyoshi Sakai was coming up with concepts for a game to make back in the early 90s. He made the prototypes on a Sharp X680000. This quote from the USGamer interview is relevant:
Kiyoshi Sakai said:
"There was one game that I created, similar to Dig-Dug 2. And then there was another one that basically… there was a maze, and then you poured water into the maze and killed the enemies with the water that you poured. I prototyped out those two games as well. When I was thinking about them just as concepts, they seemed like really awesome ideas, but once I worked out the prototypes, they didn't turn out to be that interesting."
Here is a video of those two prototypes mentioned.

How he ended up deciding on making Umihara Kawase:
Kiyoshi Sakai said:
It's not that I had this exact idea at the beginning," he admits. "The main thing I wanted to do is create an action game that played really well. What I did is I logically thought that out -- what would make a good action game? While I was thinking through that, I decided that a wire action game would be what I wanted to create. After that, I prototyped a few games out, and Umihara Kawase was one of those prototypes. That's the one I ended up creating as a full game."
Here is footage of the prototype of Umihara Kawase he made on a Sharp X68000 back in 1992. If you read the USGamer interview it explains how he took the prototype to a friend at a development studio to see if a game could be made out of it. Sakai said the process didn't go smoothly and that it took more than two years for the game to release.

The first game in the series: Umihara Kawase released on December 23rd 1994 for the Super Famicom in Japan, developed by TNN (Think about Needs of Notice for Human Being) and published by NHK SC (NHK Service Center) which is a subsidiary of the television broadcaster NHK (a.k.a. Japan Broadcasting Corporation). There are 49 fields (stages) and this Super Famicom game allowed you to save replay data. You will not find this game in the top 30 charts from Famitsu Weekly back when it released but that didn't stop the game from having a cult following.

Picture is from Umihara Kawase on Steam
uKrOH4V.jpg

The second game in the series: Umihara Kawase Shun released on February 28th, 1997 for the Sony Playstation in Japan, published by XING and developed by Jackpot who were the development studio TNN but were bought out by Japan Clary Games. This sequel has a new artstyle with environmental objects in 3D, animated cutscenes and voice acting with in-game commercials.

Picture is from Umihara Kawase Shun Steam Edition
Ec6Jh7g.jpg

In September 1997, Studio Saizensen was founded by Toshinobu Kondo who is currently the President and CEO of the company. Establishing themselves as an independent developer studio, they would go on to release games such as Pounding Poyaccio (PS1), Shining Hearts (PSP), Glory of Heracles (Nintendo DS) and more.

After a number of ports and enhanced versions of Umihara Kawase Shun games…

On September 26th, 2012. News released that Studio Saizensen had acquired the rights to Umihara Kawase which allowed Studio Saizensen to release Umihara Kawase Shun: Second Edition on PSN.

For more proof of this, read the following quote from Toshinobu Kondo:
I have made a lot of games and designed a number of characters. But Umihara Kawase is one of the most loved character. I am so happy and really grateful to you all.

When game industry began, the rules of game copyrights were not really fixed and therefore Umihara Kawase had passed into several companies' processions. But since some years we "Studio Saizensen" have had back the copyright in hand. (it's like "my daughter who was leaving home for a long time came back finally"!) and now, we can make another Umihara Kawase as we like.

We will challenge to make "newly reborn" Umihara Kawase in the future. Mr. Sakai and I are keep working so hard for a new game, so please look forward to playing it!

The third game in the series: Sayonara Umihara Kawase released on June 20th, 2013 for the Nintendo 3DS in Japan, published by Agatsuma Entertainment and developed by Studio Saizensen. It features new playable characters and transitions from having 2D sprites to 3D characters. It would later become the first title in the series to release overseas.

Picture is from Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ on Steam.
faMqiQs.jpg

mssEqL8.jpg

Where can I play the other games in the series?
If you are looking to play Umihara Kawase, Umihara Kawase Shun and Sayonara Umihara Kawase. The easiest place to find those three games digitally is on Steam for PC. Here's the Steam link for the trilogy pack, you can also buy them separately.

If you don't have a PC, your options for digital games are limited. The Nintendo 3DS has the original Sayonara Umihara Kawase (Yumi's Odd Odyssey for the US because Natsume) on the eShop and the PS Vita has Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ on PSN.
Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ (PS Vita) comes with the original Umihara Kawase. To be able to play Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition (PS1), you will need a Japanese PSN account to download the game on PS3/PSP/PS Vita. The link for it is here.

If you don't have any of the above then, if you own an Android Smartphone you can download Sayonara Umihara Kawase Smart (Click here). It is a port of Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ which is simplified by having replay and online leaderboard functions removed. It is highly recommended that you play the game using a "Bluetooth wireless controller or similar" because the touch controls are not good since the UI makes using jump + lure simultaneously an extremely difficult task (Sakai even made instructions for pairing your PS4 Dualshock Controller or Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to your phone). The first 10 stages of the game are free, you have to pay to play all 60 stages which is ¥450 or equivalent to the currency of your region (around $4). The game was ported by Kiyoshi Sakai under his studio called Sakai Game Development Factory, Sayonara Umihara Kawase Smart is licensed from Studio Saizensen.

If you're looking for physical copies of any of those games in the series, they can be much more difficult to find due to the fact being that this is a niche series that didn't come overseas until Sayonara Umihara Kawase on 3DS in 2014.

If you are still looking to import those other games in the series, I will list each game that had a physical release and you can go search on eBay and other resellers:

Umihara Kawase (Super Famicom, Nintendo DS*, PlayStation Vita**, Steam)
- Has 49 Fields (stages).
- Beware of region locking for the Super Famicom version.
- Steam release has additional features: Practice mode, online leaderboards, etc.

*Is an extra game included in Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition Kanzenban for Nintendo DS
**Is an extra game included in Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ for PlayStation Vita.

Umihara Kawase Shun (PlayStation)
- Has 50 fields (stages)
- Only this game has in-game commercials.
- Beware of region locking.

Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition (PlayStation)
- Has 53 fields (stages).
- This does not have in-game commercials.

Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition Kanzenban (Nintendo DS)
- Has 61 Fields (stages).
- It includes Umihara Kawase.
- The Steam release of Umihara Kawase Shun is based off this version, has additional online features: Leaderboards, etc. (Does not include Umihara Kawase.)

Umihara Kawase Portable (PSP)
- Buyer beware, this is considered a bad port of Umihara Kawase Shun because it was handled by Rocket Studio which didn't involve Kiyoshi Sakai to handle any of the programming. It is said that the game is buggy and the physics are worse than the original game. The publisher was Marvelous Entertainment.

Sayonara Umihara Kawase (Nintendo 3DS)
- Has 50 Fields (stages).
- Physical release only in Japan, beware of region locking.

Sayonara Umihara Kawase Chirari/Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ (PlayStation Vita)
- Has 60 Fields (stages).
- Frame rate increased from 30FPS to 60FPS
- Enhanced graphics
- Includes Umihara Kawase
- Physical release only in Japan, PS Vita is region-free.
- The Steam release of Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ is based off this version. (Does not include Umihara Kawase)
- The Steam release of Umihara Kawase is based off this version, has additional online features: Leaderboards, etc. (Does not include Sayonara Umihara Kawase)

Sayonara Umihara Kawase++ (PlayStation Vita)
- Go to this link.

In what order should I play the games?
You can play the games in any order. My suggestion if 1) You are a newcomer and 2) You are wanting to play something now while waiting for the western release of Umihara Kawase Fresh! is to play the games backwards in order. Sayonara Umihara Kawase is the easiest game to start with because your stage progression doesn't reset to zero. Plus, just like the guide I made for Umihara Kawase Fresh! there is also one I made for Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ three years ago and solutions to every stage (in case you get stuck) which is in this playlist here.

Has Umihara Kawase appeared in any other games?

Yes. Umihara, her childhood friend Emiko and her time traveling cop descendant Noko are playable characters in the fighting game Blade Strangers (PS4/Switch/Steam) developed by Studio Saizensen, published by Nicalis.

Umihara Kawase is also going to be a playable character in the game Crystal Crisis (PS4/Switch). This is a game published and developed by Nicalis Inc. which plays like Capcom's Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo. Note that she is a guest character because this game is not developed by Studio Saizensen, it is featuring characters from Cave Story, Binding of Isaac and Black Jack (Tezuka) to name a few.

Where can I see the anime scene of Umihara Kawase Shun in full screen?
So assuming you've reached the score ranking screen, you'll see Umihara Kawase sitting down playing on a PS1 in front of a TV. (Yes, the PS1 is blurred out if you are playing any of the non-PlayStation versions of Umihara Kawase Shun).
The TV will show a small image of an anime scene going on, it's not possible to see the scene in full screen in-game however, there is a YouTube link showing it in full screen. Mind you it's low res.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have anything to say because I know nothing about this franchise but I find sad this got no replies after the effort the OP put into it, so I write this so more people have the chance to read the thread.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome OP, fantastic breakdown and background on all the games.

Studio Saizensen and Nintendo should strike a deal to add the SFC original to the SNES Switch Online app. Get millions to try Umihara Kawase.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I was quite surprised when i first tried the sfc version. The style and gameplay were so unique. I went in expecting a standard platformer with a little gimmick but its a bit more than that.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
One of my first imports for my Vita was Sayonara Umihara Kawase Chirari, and playing the original on it immediately made the series one of my favorite platformers. Toshinobu Kondo was at this year's Anime Expo, and I actually managed to get my copy of Fresh! signed!

Glad to see Umihara Kawase back after the company's tough times a few years back.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Shout out to Pete Dorr for featuring Yumi's Odd Odyssey in one of his videos. My experience with the series has mostly been through Let's Plays, but I'm looking to finally remedy that in the coming year. That Steam sale price for the trilogy is a steal, but I think I prefer to play at least the first and third game on the Vita. Also the Umihara Kawase series has probably the most listenable soundtrack out there, especially if you're into 70s-80s japanese city pop.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Never heard of this, but this is a great write up that definitely piqued my interest, as someone who loves fourth gen platformers.

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
On the 23rd of December 1994, around six developers made a video game funded by a television station about a traveling sushi chef carrying a pink bag and an elastic fishing line which released on the Super Famicom in Japan.

PeLsU2n.jpg

Umihara Kawase is a Rubber Ring Action game or to put it more simply, a physics-based 2D platformer where you swing across platforms and obstacles by using an elastic fishing line trying to find any door to exit a stage.

While it didn't reach the top 30 charts on Famitsu back then. It had a cult following which led to three sequels and a spin-off that is currently in development.

You may have heard about the person who kept their Super Famicom powered on for over 20 years to ensure the replay save data on their copy of Umihara Kawase wasn't lost due to the battery dying out.

You may also remember Episode 31 of GameCenter CX where Shinya Arino's game challenge for the episode was to finish Umihara Kawase. You can watch the episode here: https://archive.org/details/0755aa3faad2bf2aa6b121f1d9ea5448

You probably haven't heard about this series because it was only available in Japan until the third game in the series released overseas on the 3DS which was called Sayonara Umihara Kawase (Yumi's Odd Odyssey in the US).

If you're interested in playing the first game of the series then this is good timing because the first trilogy: Umihara Kawase, Umihara Kawase Shun and Sayonara Umihara Kawase is available on Steam at 50% off, here's the link: https://store.steampowered.com/sub/85452/

If you don't have a PC then your other alternative is buying Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ on the PS Vita which comes with the first game Umihara Kawase in-game. Here's the link: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0967-PCSE00683_00-UMIHARAKAWASE000

I recommend playing the first trilogy of the series: Umihara Kawase, Umihara Kawase Shun, Sayonara Umihara Kawase. Start from the third title and go backwards if you want to play the easiest game and work your way up.

If you want to know more about the Umihara Kawase series, I reposted below a segment which I used for the official thread for Umihara Kawase Fresh!

ItPcDio.jpg

The meaning of the title "Umihara Kawase" comes from Japanese chef terminology meaning "Fish from the sea have fat on their bellies, and fish from rivers have fat on their backs." In Japanese, this is pronounced "Umi no sakana wa hara ni, kawa no sakana wa se ni abura ga notteru." In this series, many fatty fish of the sea and rivers appear as enemy characters.¹

Note: Umi hara kawa se = Sea belly river back

The following is a quote from a USGamer interview of Kiyoshi Sakai:

"The reason I named the game that way, I was watching a travel program on TV, and that saying came up. It sounded really good in my ear, so that's why I named the game that way."

If you'd like to learn more about the origins of Umihara Kawase, here is the link to USGamer where they interview the creator: Kiyoshi Sakai.

There are two developers that are well known for their work on the Umihara Kawase series, Kiyoshi Sakai and Toshinobu Kondo. Kiyoshi Sakai is the creator, game designer and programmer behind the Umihara Kawase series, he came up with the physics-based platforming for Umihara Kawase by use of an elastic fishing line. Toshinobu Kondo is the illustrator and hence gave us the character design of Umihara Kawase. They have worked on every title in the series excluding Umihara Kawase Portable.

Disclaimer: The following historical information regarding TNN and XING may be inaccurate due to lack of verification.

Kiyoshi Sakai was coming up with concepts for a game to make back in the early 90s. He made the prototypes on a Sharp X680000. This quote from the USGamer interview is relevant:
Here is a video of those two prototypes mentioned.

How he ended up deciding on making Umihara Kawase:

Here is footage of the prototype of Umihara Kawase he made on a Sharp X68000 back in 1992. If you read the USGamer interview it explains how he took the prototype to a friend at a development studio to see if a game could be made out of it. Sakai said the process didn't go smoothly and that it took more than two years for the game to release.

The first game in the series: Umihara Kawase released on December 23rd 1994 for the Super Famicom in Japan, developed by TNN (Think about Needs of Notice for Human Being) and published by NHK SC (NHK Service Center) which is a subsidiary of the television broadcaster NHK (a.k.a. Japan Broadcasting Corporation). There are 49 fields (stages) and this Super Famicom game allowed you to save replay data. You will not find this game in the top 30 charts from Famitsu Weekly back when it released but that didn't stop the game from having a cult following.

The second game in the series: Umihara Kawase Shun released on February 28th, 1997 for the Sony Playstation in Japan, published by XING and developed by Jackpot who were the development studio TNN but were bought out by Japan Clary Games. This sequel has a new artstyle with environmental objects in 3D, animated cutscenes and voice acting with in-game commercials.

In September 1997, Studio Saizensen was founded by Toshinobu Kondo who is currently the President and CEO of the company. Establishing themselves as an independent developer studio, they would go on to release games such as Pounding Poyaccio (PS1), Shining Hearts (PSP), Glory of Heracles (Nintendo DS) and more.

After a number of ports and enhanced versions of Umihara Kawase Shun games…

On September 26th, 2012. News released that Studio Saizensen had acquired the rights to Umihara Kawase which allowed Studio Saizensen to release Umihara Kawase Shun: Second Edition on PSN.

For more proof of this, read the following quote from Toshinobu Kondo:

The third game in the series: Sayonara Umihara Kawase released on June 20th, 2013 for the Nintendo 3DS in Japan, published by Agatsuma Entertainment and developed by Studio Saizensen. It features new playable characters and transitions from having 2D sprites to 3D characters. It would later become the first title in the series to release overseas.

mssEqL8.jpg

Where can I play the other games in the series?
If you are looking to play Umihara Kawase, Umihara Kawase Shun and Sayonara Umihara Kawase. The easiest place to find those three games digitally is on Steam for PC. Here's the Steam link for the trilogy pack, you can also buy them separately.

If you don't have a PC, your options for digital games are limited. The Nintendo 3DS has the original Sayonara Umihara Kawase (Yumi's Odd Odyssey for the US because Natsume) on the eShop and the PS Vita has Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ on PSN.
Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ (PS Vita) comes with the original Umihara Kawase. To be able to play Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition (PS1), you will need a Japanese PSN account to download the game on PS3/PSP/PS Vita. The link for it is here.

If you don't have any of the above then, if you own an Android Smartphone you can download Sayonara Umihara Kawase Smart (Click here). It is a port of Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ which is simplified by having replay and online leaderboard functions removed. It is highly recommended that you play the game using a "Bluetooth wireless controller or similar" because the touch controls are not good since the UI makes using jump + lure simultaneously an extremely difficult task (Sakai even made instructions for pairing your PS4 Dualshock Controller or Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to your phone). The first 10 stages of the game are free, you have to pay to play all 60 stages which is ¥450 or equivalent to the currency of your region (around $4). The game was ported by Kiyoshi Sakai under his studio called Sakai Game Development Factory, Sayonara Umihara Kawase Smart is licensed from Studio Saizensen.

If you're looking for physical copies of any of those games in the series, they can be much more difficult to find due to the fact being that this is a niche series that didn't come overseas until Sayonara Umihara Kawase on 3DS in 2014.

If you are still looking to import those other games in the series, I will list each game that had a physical release and you can go search on eBay and other resellers:

Umihara Kawase (Super Famicom, Nintendo DS*, PlayStation Vita**, Steam)

- Has 49 Fields (stages).
- Beware of region locking for the Super Famicom version.
- Steam release has additional features: Practice mode, online leaderboards, etc.

*Is an extra game included in Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition Kanzenban for Nintendo DS
**Is an extra game included in Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ for PlayStation Vita.

Umihara Kawase Shun (PlayStation)

- Has 50 fields (stages)
- Only this game has in-game commercials.

Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition (PlayStation)

- Has 53 fields (stages).

Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition Kanzenban (Nintendo DS)

- Has 61 Fields (stages).
- It includes Umihara Kawase.
- The Steam release of Umihara Kawase Shun is based off this version, has additional online features: Leaderboards, etc. (Does not include Umihara Kawase.)

Umihara Kawase Portable (PSP)

- Buyer beware, this is considered a bad port of Umihara Kawase Shun because it was handled by Rocket Studio which didn't involve Kiyoshi Sakai to handle any of the programming. It is said that the game is buggy and the physics are worse than the original game. The publisher was Marvelous Entertainment.

Sayonara Umihara Kawase (Nintendo 3DS)

- Has 50 Fields (stages).
- Physical release only in Japan, beware of region locking.

Sayonara Umihara Kawase Chirari/Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ (PlayStation Vita)

- Has 60 Fields (stages).
- Frame rate increased from 30FPS to 60FPS
- Enhanced graphics
- Includes Umihara Kawase
- Physical release only in Japan, PS Vita is region-free.
- The Steam release of Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ is based off this version. (Does not include Umihara Kawase)
- The Steam release of Umihara Kawase is based off this version, has additional online features: Leaderboards, etc. (Does not include Sayonara Umihara Kawase)

Sayonara Umihara Kawase++ (PlayStation Vita)
- Go to this link.

In what order should I play the games?
You can play the games in any order. My suggestion if 1) You are a newcomer and 2) You are wanting to play something now while waiting for the western release of Umihara Kawase Fresh! is to play the games backwards in order. Sayonara Umihara Kawase is the easiest game to start with because your stage progression doesn't reset to zero. Plus, just like the guide I made for Umihara Kawase Fresh! there is also one I made for Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ three years ago and solutions to every stage (in case you get stuck) which is in this playlist here.

Has Umihara Kawase appeared in any other games?

Yes. Umihara, her childhood friend Emiko and her time traveling cop descendant Noko are playable characters in the fighting game Blade Strangers (PS4/Switch/Steam) developed by Studio Saizensen, published by Nicalis.

Umihara Kawase is also going to be a playable character in the game Crystal Crisis (PS4/Switch). This is a game published and developed by Nicalis Inc. which plays like Capcom's Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo. Note that she is a guest character because this game is not developed by Studio Saizensen, it is featuring characters from Cave Story, Binding of Isaac and Black Jack (Tezuka) to name a few.

Where can I see the anime scene of Umihara Kawase Shun in full screen?
So assuming you've reached the score ranking screen, you'll see Umihara Kawase sitting down playing on a PS1 in front of a TV. (Yes, the PS1 is blurred out if you are playing any of the non-PlayStation versions of Umihara Kawase Shun).
The TV will show a small image of an anime scene going on, it's not possible to see the scene in full screen in-game however, there is a YouTube link showing it in full screen. Mind you it's low res.

I also like the Super Famicom boxart - might need to hunt this down.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is the Fresh game any good? The gameplay looked stiff from what I saw of it.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Really good thread ggx2ac. I never delved into the nitty gritty of Umihara Kawase's background, but the series is a favourite of mine and I'm glad to see it have a resurgence.

I think the first game goes too hard on difficulty through constant enemy spawns and is the one I enjoy least because of it, but damn if I'm not impressed for the physics gameplay they managed on a Super Famicom. Shun's the one I put the most time into through the DS release and is my favourite of the bunch, easily one of my favourite games of all time. So happy to see that they're so easily accessible on PC now.

Oct 29, 2017
The original "Indie" game. Great thread for a great game series!

Amazing to see how far this humble little one-man Super Famicom game has come!

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Is the Fresh game any good? The gameplay looked stiff from what I saw of it.

I've given my input on the game in the official thread which you can find here.

My opinion is that I would still recommend any game from the first trilogy before playing Umihara Kawase Fresh! The first trilogy was directed by Kiyoshi Sakai but in Fresh he took a backseat as support staff, there's speculation about why which can be found here.

If all you have is a Nintendo Switch then you can try buying Umihara Kawase Fresh!, the game never sold that well which is why it can be found pretty cheap on Amazon US or even importing from Amazon Japan.

As someone else mentioned, Umihara Kawase could maybe come to the Nintendo Switch Online SFC app and that would be another way for anyone to play since it's not difficult making a second nintendo account to just download the app if you are already paying for NSO individually.

I think the first game goes too hard on difficulty through constant enemy spawns and is the one I enjoy least because of it, but damn if I'm not impressed for the physics gameplay they managed on a Super Famicom. Shun's the one I put the most time into through the DS release and is my favourite of the bunch, easily one of my favourite games of all time. So happy to see that they're so easily accessible on PC now.

Sayonara Umihara Kawase+ is the one I put the most time into. I barely had time to play the other two titles on Steam until I imported a copy of Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition Kazenban. Shun would be my favourite because it has the best visuals and audio but the thing that kills me is the precision platforming, there's still a field or two that I haven't completed because of how hard it is to avoid getting killed instantly, getting a game over and then having to get all the way back to there again.

As you said, the first game is the hardest due to the constant random enemy spawns which is why Shun was a good sequel that focused more on good platforming and speedrunning than on having random enemies getting in your way.

I still haven't mastered the first two games but I still like all three games since they're uniquely different that I'm not too fussed about having a favourite between Shun and Sayonara.

Last edited:

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Where's Umihara Kawase Fresh! on the list?

Edit: Oh crap, it's its own OT.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just coming to say thank you for the fantastic thread ggx2ac, really good work!

Personally I fell in love with the series somewhere around 2002 when a friend showed me his copy of Shun, the gameplay is just so good.

Avaran

Oct 26, 2017
Great writeup of something I've never heard about before, will read all of it later!

Looks really cool, want to try out the 16-but versions somehow...