• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which version of Gohan's transformation do you feel is best?

• Japanese

Votes: 257 60.3%
  • Funimation (English)

Votes: 117 27.5%
  • Kai (English)

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Abridged

Votes: 41 9.6%

• Total voters
OP
OP
-JD-

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
why does that comparison video not have the falcouner music, it's silent, Falcon Man DBZ is never silent.
No one is insulting her personally. But there is a 60+ year old woman voicing Goku, and it's pretty weird, man.

On topic, TeamFourStar's all the way. The cover is amazing.

Also, unless I'm missing something, the comparison video in the OP deleted Falconer's score, or whatever. Here's the transformation with the score still in:

Yes you're absolutely right! oops! I edited the op to include Feep's clip with the Faulconer score. Thanks!

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who's backpedaling? A higher voice is a perfect fit for a small child or teen. In dubs, most small children are played by women. It's normal and we're used to hearing it. You can't compare an older, very high-pitched female voice actress playing a small child and one playing a mega roided out testosterone-fest.

Luffy is a teenager, Naruto is a teenager, Edward Elric is a teenager.

You just said it's okay for Naruto, but not okay for Goku.

Also, Luffy is an Adult in the current arc, and was near one at the start of the series (17 at the start, 19 in the current episodes). He was always voiced by a woman and I've never seen an issue with this. In fact, it's the same voice actor as Kuririn/Krillin, Mayumi Tanaka (who is now 64 years old). Also, Luffy in later episodes tends to be a lot more buff compared to earlier episodes, but I've never, ever, seen anyone complain about this.

So your reasoning continues to just simply not make sense to me. Again, stop using appearances as the default factor for how someone should always inherently sound.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
huh, i always assumed i've seen it, but i don't remember a japanese sung theme during that scene, in the latam intertrack version, so my memory has tricked me.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You just said it's okay for Naruto, but not okay for Goku.

Also, Luffy is an Adult in the current arc, and was near one at the start of the series (17 at the start, 19 in the current episodes). He was always voiced by a woman and I've never seen an issue with this. In fact, it's the same voice actor as Kuririn/Krillin, Mayumi Tanaka (who is now 64 years old). Also, Luffy in later episodes tends to be a lot more buff compared to earlier episodes, but I've never, ever, seen anyone complain about this.

So your reasoning continues to just simply not make sense to me. Again, stop using appearances as the default factor for how someone should always inherently sound.
Because Naruto's voice actress is doing a better job not sounding like a 70 year old woman. I don't know what to tell you. There's is no contradiction. I don't know why you're bringing up Naruto; I straight-up don't care. I'm talking about Nozawa's voice and her ability to make me believe that that voice is reasonable for that character.

Appearances matter because we understand that that kind of body type is basically impossible to achieve and maintain that voice. I don't want to get into a progressive-style debate here, but I'm curious to see if you can find an example of a body type like that with a similarly high voice. The testosterone involved deepens the voice significantly. And again, it's a fantasy show and it can do whatever it wants (Goku has alien physiology, of course), but I'm explaining why it feels out of place for an average viewer.

No shade to Nozawa at all. She's doing what she was asked to do, to the best of her ability.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
huh, i always assumed i've seen it, but i don't remember a japanese sung theme during that scene, in the latam intertrack version, so my memory has tricked me.

What happened is a handful of songs went missing in the M&E tracks (Music & Effects tracks) provided to licensors. We're unsure why these weren't in the mixing tracks, but they weren't. Reportedly I heard that some of the songs were on separate mixing tapes, but ultimately either got lost in the shuffle or the licensor didn't realize that was the purpose of this tape. The Chinese dub is one of the rare ones that left most of the songs intact.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
It's funny how many people complains about the Japanese voices and our dub here was with the original OST and even keep the Japanese screams. It was amazing.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Japanese Goku has never sounded like an old woman to me. More like a goofy, naive and cartoonish weirdo adult child. The English dub voice has always just sounded like some dude to me.

You actually comparing the voice acting of a 12 year old boy to a 30+ year old man.
Goku is a Saiyan, not a man. While they are similar to humans, there isn't enough information revealed in DB about their biological makeup to make determinations about how their voices should sound or whatever else.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
My love of JP Goku is probably greatly rooted in my love of Hyper Dimension, I can still vividly recall that KAMEHAME-HA so strongly.

But also watching Super the voice really hits a perfect portrayal of the childish bumpkin he is, having grown up on DBZ dub.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Japanese Goku has never sounded like an old woman to me. More like a goofy, naive and cartoonish weirdo adult child. The English dub voice has always just sounded like some dude to me.

Goku is a Saiyan, not a man. While they are similar to humans, there isn't enough information revealed in DB about their biological makeup to make determinations about how their voices should sound or whatever else.
Really breh

Lol

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
The dub transformation from the next episode is far better to be honest, it uses the Gohan Angers theme perfectly.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Dbza .. the voices in japanese are just too feminine in general, cant watch that version.

Also after watching the abridged series, that is the only canon in my head. Its just too good.

Really what, Goku is an alien. Remember that part?
He looks like a normal adult male ( aside from the ridiculous hair ) so what you're saying is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I love how the faulkner Scorer just overlays everything like a constant drone. Its less of a Soundtrack and more like Background noise cancelling out any emotions associated with the scene with noise just to guarantee that no child could ever get bored for even 5 seconds.

Also, that monologue.

Just ripping out and replacing an entire Soundtrack is so utterly disrespectful to all the Artists involved, too.

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
Japanese, no contest here. Abridged is good though, great tribute. English version is freakin' bad.

Katori

Oct 30, 2017
Kai is good for everything but this. This might be the one moment that the original Funi dub tops English Kai. I love Nadolny's scream and Faulconer is good though I do prefer Day of Destiny. It's very close between Japanese and original Funi.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017

Lol. I would guess their biological makeup is pretty much the same since they mate with humans.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Goku just sounds weird. Didn't even know the voice actor was an old lady. Just never got into it after growing up with the English version . Which is wired cause I got into Luffy's voice and Naruto's Japanese voices okay.

OT: gonna go with the English and the abridged versions.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
And underage anime girls who are naked are 1000 year old dragons I assume?
I don't know what that has to do with Goku being an alien.

He looks like a normal adult male ( aside from the ridiculous hair ) so what you're saying is irrelevant.
He's an alien. So saying that he must have a voice that fits what is supposed to be a human ideal (or the normative ideal for some here) for an adult male is not correct. Even if he looks like a human and can mate with humans, he could still have features that set him apart as an alien. Like, Saiyans are already in possession of superhuman strength and can change into giant apes. Having the potential for higher pitched voices is not a feature that is astoundingly bizarre when taking into account that they are alien beings. So, 'He's a man and should therefore sound like one' simply doesn't work.

Last edited:

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the soundtrack for the original version doesn't work for me at all and feels out of place tonally with what's going on. I sort of like the Abridged version a little more. The funimation version is alright but it isn't perfect either.

The DBZA version might come closest to sticking the landing simply because of the hard cut ending just after it happens.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I remember watching DragonBall Z Kai and waiting for this moment...
When I saw what they did, I turned off the video, google'd the original Japanese version, and never watched Kai again.
They fucking ruined it.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
No one is insulting her personally. But there is a 60+ year old woman voicing Goku, and it's pretty weird, man.

On topic, TeamFourStar's all the way. The cover is amazing.

Also, unless I'm missing something, the comparison video in the OP deleted Falconer's score, or whatever. Here's the transformation with the score still in:

Happens a lot in anime. A lot of the high pitched guy voices have women in the roles. Luffy is voiced by a 60+ year old woman.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese > Abridged > Dubbed versions
No amount of nostalgia can make the awkward line delivery (and terrible dialogue) and weirdly edited music preferable.

The howling wind and line delivery of the original are unmatched and I haaaate how the dub cant let scenes breathe without having music going constantly.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

Spot on-take, although I love Schemmel's Goku too. Regardless, I've never taken to "Grandma/Granny Goku" either given the voice she's doing -- Dr. Kureha in One Piece is far more akin to an elderly woman.

I'm all for preference and admit there's elements of Faulconer's score I can appreciate via nostalgia, but you cannot sit here and tell me the generic-ass techno/synth/whatever for this scene even comes close to touching Spirit vs. Spirit. There's no weight behind it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And Goku is going for a similarly high pitched voice. It's not that weird. High pitched screams and martial arts action have gone together in public consciousness for like 50 years.

And really, it's only because you're used to it that you think a 60+ year old woman playing a 10 year old boy isn't also pretty weird.

Nozawa's voice has seriously, seriously frayed in recent years. She's in her 80s, so it's understandable, but it's very hard to hear her scream in Super without just feeling bad for her. Most of her "HAAAAAAAAAAAA"s sound more like "HaaaAaaAaAAAaAaaA" now.

I'm not a big fan of Goku, Gohan and Goten all having the same voice aside from some very minor differences, either.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Watched DBZ in English as a kid.

Can't watch it in Japanese as an adult. The Goku family's voices just bother me so much. Vegeta and Piccolo sound cool though.

Bob_Coffee

Oct 25, 2017
falcouner's score is SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT. sorry it really just doesnt work for dbz imho. japanese score is goat. Japanese score and voices are goat. Masako Nozawa is a treasure. grandma goku ftw.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I love how the faulkner Scorer just overlays everything like a constant drone. Its less of a Soundtrack and more like Background noise cancelling out any emotions associated with the scene with noise just to guarantee that no child could ever get bored for even 5 seconds.

Also, that monologue.

Just ripping out and replacing an entire Soundtrack is so utterly disrespectful to all the Artists involved, too.

Yeah, that and they repeat the same few tracks for every scene awkwardly spliced together. The English dub has always been really trashy, and its weird to see people stick to their guns out of pure nostalgia.

The dialogue is far worse too. Like Gokus speech "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am Truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you! "
is one of the most hilariously bad rewrites I can think of.

Like they thought that not only could English speaking children not pay attention without constant background music, but the lines treat them like idiots who cant have a nuanced character instead of a corny bootleg superman.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I've never really understood the hatred toward Goku's Japanese voice. Like, Sean Schemmel is good too, but that doesn't make Nozowa bad at all. I honestly think the TFS voice for Goku isn't a bad english Goku either and something similar would work in an actual serious dub.

The dub really wasn't good until Kai, and Kikuchi's score was always better than Falcouner.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the moment in all incarnations I saw, however I still hate it as well because it wasn't enough for him to defeat Cell alone which sort of weakened it's impact in hindsight.(otherwise I would consider it probably my favorite moment in the series)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that and they repeat the same few tracks for every scene awkwardly spliced together. The English dub has always been really trashy, and its weird to see people stick to their guns out of pure nostalgia.

The dialogue is far worse too. Like Gokus speech "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am Truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you! "
is one of the most hilariously bad rewrites I can think of.

Like they thought that not only could English speaking children not pay attention without constant background music, but the lines treat them like idiots who cant have a nuanced character instead of a corny bootleg superman.

To be fair, that was the very first American dub of that scene, they don't use those lines anymore.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I started laughing once the song started in the Japanese dub but then, watching the English and Kai dubs after...it just worked so well. It's still kinda funny listening to the "whooAAAAA" though.