• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which version of Gohan's transformation do you feel is best?

• Japanese

Votes: 257 60.3%
  • Funimation (English)

Votes: 117 27.5%
  • Kai (English)

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Abridged

Votes: 41 9.6%

• Total voters

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
...and goshdarnit I can't believe I slept on it for so long because it's now my preferred way of experiencing my absolute favorite moment in DBZ. Nothing against any of the English dubbed versions (which I grew up watching), but the original Japanese track is better, and for these reasons:

1. No cornball internal monologue
2. You can hear an Oozaru (Great Ape) roar when Gohan screams
3. The song Day of Destiny that plays during Gohan's SSJ2 awakening is really damn good and the repeating melody/chant fits the tone very well. Nothing against the Faulconer score but here it lacks the oomph that usually accompanies other powerful DBZ moments (such as Goku's SSJ3 awakening).

A comparison of all 3 versions I've found

(edit: oops, the comparison vid above doesn't feature Faulconer's score for the dub. here it is below. Thanks, Feep!):
Also, unless I'm missing something, the comparison video in the OP deleted Falconer's score, or whatever. Here's the transformation with the score still in:

For fun, the Kai version with Day of Destiny

And last, but not least, TeamFourStar's DBZ Abridged with their own cover of Day of Destiny:
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese version of this scene is better but overall fuck a subs version of DBZ. The voices are way too high pitched and feminine

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
The music is absolutely terrible in Japanese DBZ. Absolutely nowhere near the level of Bruce. Ruins the moment. Ruins all the good moments actually.

They really turned it around for Super, though. Excellent music all round.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Japanese.

It's OST will always be better that Faulconer shit.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The oozaru ape roar is used in the japanese dub every time we're first introduced to a new super saiyan form.

Oct 25, 2017
Its hard to even enjoy modern Dragon Ball because of how Goku is written and the music outside of the original Funimation dub.
Super would be amazing with those old changes.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah that's a fair call. There's a lot of things about this scene that makes the Funi version look bad in particular. I still prefer my Faulconer version though. Wish there was a way to have it with the Kai dub.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Bruce Faulconer is like half the reason DBZ is even any good.

If you disagree, you're probably a weeb.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
why does that comparison video not have the falcouner music, it's silent, Falcon Man DBZ is never silent.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Not really sure how people can like the Falcouner score at all. I like my shows to at least have some points where it can be silent, and that dub with that score had none of that.

Also Gohan's inner monologue in the first Funi dub was and still is stupid. The scream doesn't sound good in that version or Kai.

Oct 28, 2017
Recently watched a version of Kai with Faulconer's score (adjusted so it doesn't play all the fucking time) and it was glorious. It's by SuperSatanGod I believe.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Half of DBZ is them just standing around staring at eachother. Faulconer at least gave you the illusion that all that empty space was building up to something EPIC.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This scene is definitely better in the japanese version.

Overall though I think the american version of dbz is vastly superior. Faulconer soundtrack is great, and no granny goku is a blessing

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ. Like, I don't care if you don't like the Japanese version, but some of the hostile comments towards Masako Nozawa in this thread absolutely infuriates me. Holy crap. Please stop this.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Preferring the dub is like, okay I get it sure preferences and all, it's still objectively bad in comparison to jp imo but there is just no comparing to this original scene.
You cannot take Unmei no Hi away from Gohan in this moment, it's inhumane.

Oct 25, 2017
It's such an amazing scene.

I'm a purist when it comes to anime so you should know how I voted, even if the Abridged version is also amazing.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ. Like, I don't care if you don't like the Japanese version, but some of the hostile comments towards Masako Nozawa in this thread absolutely infuriates me. Holy crap. Please stop this.
No one is insulting her personally. But there is a 60+ year old woman voicing Goku, and it's pretty weird, man.

On topic, TeamFourStar's all the way. The cover is amazing.

Also, unless I'm missing something, the comparison video in the OP deleted Falconer's score, or whatever. Here's the transformation with the score still in:

Last edited:

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bart Simpson is a pre-pubescent child.

Your point? Junko Takeuchi and Maile Flanagan both voice Naruto in their respected versions, both in his mid-older teens, and into his Adulthood. The voice actors are 47 and 54 respectfully. Outside of hardcore Japanese fans groaning about the dub voices, I've almost never, EVER, heard anyone complain about this for Naruto. What makes it any different for Goku?

Also, people often use "Granny Goku" as an insult towards the voice actor, more often than not. This is why I am horribly bothered by this comment.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And Goku is going for a similarly high pitched voice. It's not that weird. High pitched screams and martial arts action have gone together in public consciousness for like 50 years.

And really, it's only because you're used to it that you think a 60+ year old woman playing a 10 year old boy isn't also pretty weird.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

There's definitely this weird "my Goku ain't no granny!!" thing that comes up all the time when discussing the Japanese version from people that don't usually watch it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there's that kind of fragile masculinity aspect to the fandom of a show about beefy dudes punching and throwing laser beams at each other, but

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Every SSJ transformation is better in Japanese. We in France had the luck to keep the original OST (they just only kept the instrumental when they sang in japanese), thank god.

The Funimation composer is so heavy on the nose it's quite comical.

In the first movie Broly it's even more apparent, all the eerie horror feeling by using silence and subtle music is lost in the US version.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Your point? Junko Takeuchi and Maile Flanagan both voice Naruto in their respected versions, both in his mid-older teens, and into his Adulthood. The voice actors are 47 and 54 respectfully. Outside of hardcore Japanese fans groaning about the dub voices, I've almost never, EVER, heard anyone complain about this for Naruto. What makes it any different for Goku?
(shrug) Naruto's Japanese voice, even in Boruto, seems reasonable to my ear. Nozawa just very much sounds like an older, much higher voice to my ear. Different voice actors do different stuff. It's not like they're all the same.

While I certainly understand progressive choices in 2019, it just seems almost physically impossible that a physical architype like Goku's could possibly have that voice, and it's a weird impression. (Yes, yes, I know the show is full of impossible nonsense, I'm just telling you it's jarring to hear it. That's all.)

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(shrug) Naruto's Japanese voice, even in Boruto, seems reasonable to my ear. Nozawa just very much sounds like an older, much higher voice to my ear. Different voice actors do different stuff. It's not like they're all the same.

Yet you JUST said this:

Seriously, if you just don't like the voice, just say it. But don't try to use an excuse than back petal immediately later.

EDIT (Addon):

While I certainly understand progressive choices in 2019, it just seems almost physically impossible that a physical architype like Goku's could possibly have that voice, and it's a weird impression. (Yes, yes, I know the show is full of impossible nonsense, I'm just telling you it's jarring to hear it. That's all.)

I mean, Masako Nozawa was asked to continue and to keep voicing Goku into his Adulthood. She honestly thought she was gonna be recasted once this came to pass, and then the creators asked her to continue.

I think another thing is your voice isn't always going to be inherent to your appearance. Masako Nozawa does deepen her voice for her Adult Goku, compared to her child voices, and it is often appropriate in the manner she does it. I never saw a personal issue with this approach, and honestly: Why are we tying voices to appearances when time and time again this is absolute bullcrap.

Most people when they see a picture of me, expect a deep voice, but instead get a somewhat shrill and higher pitched voiced. That's why when people first hear my voice, then see an image, they always expected a very different image.

There's definitely this weird "my Goku ain't no granny!!" thing that comes up all the time when discussing the Japanese version from people that don't usually watch it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there's that kind of fragile masculinity aspect to the fandom of a show about beefy dudes punching and throwing laser beams at each other, but

Yeah, this is unfortunate. Honestly, while sometimes you occasionally see similar comments by other foreign fandoms (unfortunately, one of the Foreign Goku voice actors contributed to this), it's most prevelant in the English community for Dragon Ball.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Many shonen main characters are voiced by women in japan.

Goku.
Luffy.
Naruto.
Edward Elric.

Plus, Masako Nozawa is 82, soon to be 83. Crazy she's still doing it.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, if you just don't like the voice, just say it. But don't try to use an excuse than back petal immediately later.
Who's backpedaling? A higher voice is a perfect fit for a small child or teen. In dubs, most small children are played by women. It's normal and we're used to hearing it. You can't compare an older, very high-pitched female voice actress playing a small child and one playing a mega roided out testosterone-fest.

Luffy is a teenager, Naruto is a teenager, Edward Elric is a teenager.