• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scottius

Oct 31, 2017
I love Iron Man but nah, this ain't it. I can think of several others I consider more badass in the MCU.

I can do this all day.
Anyone want to get off?
Thor striking the bridge in Ragnarok.
Thor versus a fully powered Infinity Gauntlet blast.
Dr Strange unleashing his mystical might versus Thanos.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, but it's actually worse for his left arm / hand. The nano-material of the suit is running out. He's already redirected armor from his legs to his arms to blast at Thanos. Thanos fights through the blasts, and Tony punches at Thanos with his left arm (still armored), Thanos catches it. To make the blade, Tony redirects armor from that left arm to his right (leaving that left arm unprotected in Thanos' crushing grip). He then tries to stab Thanos with his right arm, fails, gets stabbed, etc.

That is worse. I could've sworn it was his left but I just watched it and stand corrected.

I feel like I need to make another MCU run before Endgame comes out. I've forgotten a lot of interesting things that this thread has brought up.

Oct 25, 2017
I do love that sequence but I think at this point Thor realizing he isn't the god of hammers is the most bad ass sequence.
I love power level increase scenes, it's probably why Thor making stormbreaker was also super bad ass.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
While I love First Avenger, Winter Solider's many sublime action scenes really laid out why Cap isn't just some strong boyscout type but is legitimately an incredible tactician, fighter, and soldier, and I struggle to decide if the tanker opening, elevator fight, jet takedown, highway battle, hallway chase, or hellicarrier assault is the most impressive display of his abilities.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Strange v Thanos isn't even the best fight involving Strange

The final confrontation with Dormammu is better, and is the best villain takedown in the MCU

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that Highway fight (while decent) is way overrated in Winter Soldier.

The editing and the camera work in that fight is really subpar. Compare it to top tier stuff like Raid or John Wick its atrocious. As an action sequence its really not that amazing.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Cap was a fucking badass in Winter Soldier.

Should be a Winter Soldier thread.

Diving off the plane with no parachute and just dominating the hell out of the enemies on the boat

The 8(?) on 1 elevator fight followed by plummeting god knows how many stories down through a skylight, and just taking off running

Plowing through solid walls to chase after winter soldier

Taking out a damn harrier jet singlehandedly

Getting shot in the back three (?) Times while plugging in electronic hardware and walking it off

Ridiculous

Tony could NEVER

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
MGS boat scene/elevator/highway in Winter Soldier, IM3 boot and glove scene/plane scene, BP vs Bucky, waterfall fights, yondu arrow killing the ravagers... This one is up there though.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: Iron Man 1 is actually really overrated and hasn't aged well. Tony Stark is a douche protagonist

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
Gawd, the MCU is pretty cool. Thanks for reminding me of all the amazing bits throughout the years. One that comes to mind is Avenger's one take during the finale. The scene that ends with Hulk punching Thor in Grand Central Station.

lurksalot

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
anigif_enhanced-20885-1461807319-2.gif

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I like the part where Steve keeps the helicopter from taking off.

edit: beaten by a minute. How.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
I still love when Dr Strange was thrown through the multiverse for the first time. That scene was a visual feast!

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I still love when Dr Strange was thrown through the multiverse for the first time. That scene was a visual feast!
Dr. Strange may not be my favorite Marvel movie, but it remains a wonderful head-trip of imaginative visuals that really felt like a great blend of Inception-style mind-bending, dreamscapes, and reality warping all meshed into on crazy journey of self-discovery.
dr-strange-7.gif

giphy-4.gif

There hasn't been a single MCU movie I felt didn't have at least one "made the movie" scene for me.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hot take: Iron Man 1 is actually really overrated and hasn't aged well. Tony Stark is a douche protagonist

He is, but that's kind of what makes his slow subtle transformation over the whole series so great. He goes from not giving a shit about anyone except two people (and barely about them), to ten years later being so fiercely protective of everyone that the idea of failing to protect them tears him apart.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is, but that's kind of what makes his slow subtle transformation over the whole series so great. He goes from not giving a shit about anyone except two people (and barely about them), to ten years later being so fiercely protective of everyone that the idea of failing to protect them tears him apart.

Yes, his overall character arc is really good. But within the two hour running time of Iron Man, the original film, I don't feel like he really evolves that much. It's not until Avengers and Iron Man 3 that he starts to become a better character.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Dr. Strange may not be my favorite Marvel movie, but it remains a wonderful head-trip of imaginative visuals that really felt like a great blend of Inception-style mind-bending, dreamscapes, and reality warping all meshed into on crazy journey of self-discovery.

There hasn't been a single MCU movie I felt didn't have at least one "made the movie" scene for me.
Doctor Strange just misses the top 10 of the MCU for me. And yeah, not to put down Inception at all but this sometimes took better advantage of that kind of concept.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, his overall character arc is really good. But within the two hour running time of Iron Man, the original film, I don't feel like he really evolves that much. It's not until Avengers and Iron Man 3 that he starts to become a better character.

Yeah, definitely accurate. In IM2 he's still douchey, destructive and un-empathetic AF. You can START to see him processing the idea of concern for Rhodey and Pepper in some little ways, but he's still way more trouble than he's worth to them and doesn't get why.

Wait what?! I can't remember any such references.

Keep rolling along in the thread...

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
The only thing that ages Iron Man 1 badly is that awful awful transphobic joke that I can only assume was an adlib by RDJ. But it was 10+ years ago and it wouldn't surprise me if that was somehow part of the script.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
dr-strange-7.gif

giphy-4.gif

My favorite origin stories in the MCU are

Iron Man
Dr. Strange
Ant Man
The rest in pretty much no order whatsoever

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Thor Ragnorok has one of the coolest fight scenes in it's opening. Combination of the action and music, Thor flying away with a badass looking dragon on his tail, the bifrost transition into the title was a wow moment for me. I loved it.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Winter soldier and iron Man 1 are peak marvel movies. I really like IW but action doesn't have that impact any more

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
The only thing that ages Iron Man 1 badly is that awful awful transphobic joke that I can only assume was an adlib by RDJ. But it was 10+ years ago and it wouldn't surprise me if that was somehow part of the script.

Don't forget Tony's "prima nocta" joke in Age of Ultron. If you've seen Braveheart, you'll know he essentially made a rape joke.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is going on in this thread and its terrible interlaced 60fps gifs/videos?

Didn't you all listen to Tom Cruise some months ago? AVOID. THAT. SHIT.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
As far as I can remember nothing beats the Thor jump when he awakens his power in Thor Ragnarok, imo it's more badass than Thor's arrival at Wakanda (Immigrant song helps too mind you lol). Might need to jolt my memories of the older movies to see if there's better ones haha.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Nah I think the first assemble of The Avengers is the greatest scene of the MCU so far (until Fantastic Four shows up. Yes I´m huge FF stan ;D)

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
It's a great scene establishing the capability of the suit.

Also the original suit has never been topped in my opinion. Each iteration has made it more gimmicky and less indicative of Iron Man's look. The only thing that I found to be better was the glove mechanism in Winter Soldier.

giphy.gif

Pedantic, but that's in Civil War, not Winter Soldier. Iron Man isn't in Winter Soldier.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
It certainly the most power his suit has been, since it's basically weak sauce from then on out, but in all of the MCU? Nah, Hulk punching Thor is still probably my favourite

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first Iron Man, the second Captain America, and third Thor.

All beastly. Pick moments from any of those three.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just shows how much Thanos was screwing around in that fight. Why not just teleport them all into space since he's so OP? Ruins the fight for me.

He needed the Time Stone and he didn't know who had it.
That and he's fighting a group of people who have space suits plus a wizard who has already been shown to be able to teleport everyone anywhere he wants by waving his hand around. How exactly would teleporting them to space win him the fight?

Also, someone making or not making a snap decision in the middle of a fight shouldn't ruin a work of fiction for you. People improvise and can't think of everything all at once. It's a poor criticism to make.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As far as I can remember nothing beats the Thor jump when he awakens his power in Thor Ragnarok, imo it's more badass than Thor's arrival at Wakanda (Immigrant song helps too mind you lol). Might need to jolt my memories of the older movies to see if there's better ones haha.
They should have played Immigrant song in Wakanda.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Yes another MCU thread

Agree? Disagree? Watched it earlier this week for the first time In awhile . IM1 as a movie is still top 3 in the MCU.

This kind of stuff is why I can't watch Iron Man films. Tonally, it's like an unironic live action remake of Team America, so I got bored and stopped watching.

I'm not sure what "badass" is really supposed to mean in this context. I like this scene from Avengers very much: