• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
You have exactly the opposite argument in movies where they take a CinemaScope image and expand above and below to IMAX or whatever because the image was actually shot in that format, and the FOV is bigger, and people claim CinemaScope is outdated and constrained.

Shzb3Whj82-kU0ftmaRRK3_EsejZSgAArTbbFP6Lb48.jpg

It's a completely fruitless argument. Personally, I'm happy with a 16*9 screen, I'd even prefer a 16*10 for my computer for work and whatnot. It's also an unfair comparison the moment you are comparing very different FOVs.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I have a 32:9, but I can admit it's not for everyone. 21:9 seems like the perfect sweet spot to me. I can never go back to 16:9.

ultrawide >>>>>>>>>>> 4k. Its also great when 2d games take advantage of 21:9 aspect ratio.
E8580B7F6523DE779A77AA8F5C125F99C89AFB8C
34D7624C3075F0D85F88F1C47CFA206ABB8A0454

Indeed. I recently played Carto in 32:9, and the devs had no idea it was possible:

0VQxF3.png

0VQ5I0.png

Stardew in ultrawide also is wonderful

The future1996 is now!

Super Mario in Super Ultrawide is a dream :)

00oQs0.png

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
They should
www.resetera.com

Samsung is pushing for the Xbox Series X to support ultrawide monitors

https://www.pcgamesn.com/samsung/xbox-ultrawide-gaming-monitor-support
www.resetera.com

Ultrawide coming with next gen consoles? Philips 21:9 345M1CR Momentum for consoles

This is a strange product press aimed for a need/product that does not yet officially exist? https://www.tomshardware.com/news/philips-345m1cr-momentum-144hz-monitor-ultrawide-consoles There's no consoles that support 21:9 yet, so they have to be aiming that PS5 / Xbox series X will support...
www.resetera.com

21x9 support on next gen consoles?

Given that the next gen consoles seems to be very performance capable comparing to high end PC's but at a much more affordable price most likely, I could see the PC gaming audience buying the console to their desk / PC set up instead of investing in a new PC. As MS is catering more and more...
Great!!! I always find almost any game made in Japan (with rare exceptions like Yakuza)- does not natively support ultrawide. For instance, Ace Combat 7 doesnt have native ultrawide support ;(
Granted, not holding my breath for UW to become widespread. Looking at steam data UW users are a niche ;(

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what's supposed to make this some kind of objectively better aspect ratio than 16:9. Aren't these ultrawide monitors being compared to 16:9 monitors of the same height and vertical resolution, but the ultrawides are wider and have a greater horizontal resolution? No shit they can display more when they're physically larger and have a higher resolution. What does that have to do with the aspect ratio? What's wrong with me equally comparing that ultrawide to a 16:9 monitor with the same width and horizontal resolution but taller and with a greater vertical resolution and claim that the ability for the 16:9 to display more things vertically makes it superior? "How could anyone be satisfied with such a restricted vertical view?" I guess I need a more solid argument than this weird unfair comparison.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like ultra wide, it's harder to parse everything happening on the screen and keeping track of HUD elements that usually are on the side of the screen..

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
I could get an ultrawide display and day of the week, but i still prefer multiple 16:9 instead for my work

I get the benefit of being able to set every monitor at different angle towards me as opposed to a single one at a fixed curve.
I can also use them as 2 or 3 individual units if the situation demands it and shuffle through different inputs (although i think modern ultrawides support split screen inputs).
If one of them breaks, i can still use the other 2 while the broken one is being replaced/repaired.
I can have any combination of horizontal and vertical positioning (currently having 2 in horizontal position and one in vertical).
Although highly subjective, i actually prefer having a small bezel separating my workspaces.

Now, if i would do more video editing, or work music production, then i would pick an ultrawide.
And i have to say, they look cool af.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
100%. I'm not a fan of widescreen, or at least these stupid extreme widescreen displays.

Humans do not have widescreen FOVs. Peripherals are for detecting movement so your head can turn and see what's there, and not taking in visuals.

16:9? Fine, I get it, there is huge amount of cinematic content in widescreen, which has filtered through to TV, so it's a fair compromise.

But I personally wish the standard was a little bit squarer, 16x10 or so, it fills your view better. The more widescreen the more it's just looking at a strip with giant gaps at the top and bottom. Wasted space. I'm glad a lot of computer manufacturers (like Apple and now MS) are trending to slightly less widescreen aspect ratios on their laptops and desktops. I'm glad the iPad exists and has plenty of people who use it in portrait mode.

Widesceen movies didn't evolve because it was better at filling our field of view/attention. They evolved simply because it's easier/cheaper to build buildings (and therefore movies theatres) wide than it is to build them to be tall. It's not because it's better or preferable/immersive viewing experience.

'Premium' experiences like IMAX that go for the whole 'view-filling immersion' thing, generally build 'taller' theatres and use a more squarish aspect ratio. I think it's as plain as the nose on your face when you see it in reality. It literally fills your visual attention far better than widescreen. Kubrick did not shoot on widescreen.

If you get a super widescreen monitor for productively and alternating between 3 or 4 side by side windows, fair enough, i'm sure they are fine for productivity.

As for gaming? You are either sitting back to the point you have a giant blank strip at the top and bottom of your field of vision that your display doesn't cover, or you are close enough that the sides of the display are in your peripheral vision and you aren't really seeing anything extra except for, as the poster above stated perfectly, 'tickling your peripherals".

But I don't expect to convince anyone, the choice-supportive bias will be strong.
This is kinda 'why ultrawide shouldn't be any kind of standard' and I agree completely.
Super Mario in Super Ultrawide is a dream :)

00oQs0.png
Honestly it just looks like half the screen is missing.

Jan 11, 2018
32:9 is terrible for gaming. Looks incredibly narrow. Imagine playing fighting games using that aspect ratio. Do people actually want this? Or are people talking about 21:9 and 32:9 interchangeably as 'ultrawide'?

Honestly it just looks like half the screen is missing.

Agreed. The wider it gets, the more I'm thinking "what if it showed more image on the top and the bottom?".

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
32:9 is terrible for gaming. Looks incredibly narrow. Imagine playing fighting games using that aspect ratio. Do people actually want this? Or are people talking about 21:9 and 32:9 interchangeably as 'ultrawide'?
Gonna go out on a limb and say most think 21:9 when they say ultrawide.

Not that there is anything wrong with 32:9 but it's a bit too wide at bigger screen sizes for me.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
The future right now are ps5 and xbox whatever.

Developers will prioritize the features these consoles have and pc versions will be, as always, based around the features and limitations of consoles.

21:9 is not the prevalent aspect ratio on windows, does not have giants actively pushing for it (like Nvidia and ray tracing/dlss) and is not supported on consoles, therefore is not high on the priority list

Consoles meet TV standards, not the other way around. Blame TV manufacturers.

Oct 30, 2017
I find 16:9 is the sweet perfect spot specially for gaming.

You enjoy 21:9 more? good for you.

But please we don't need "some" people acting like they have discovered the new holy light and that everyone who is gaming on 16:9 are stuck in the darkness of the past and needs to be shown the light of truth.

To each their own preferences as simple as that.

Oct 27, 2017
It's all a matter of perspective, preference, and position. You could say that a 16:9 4k tv is a expanded top bottom wide screen compared to a 1440p 21:9 widescreen montior.

I think viewing distance comes into play the most. Sitting closer like to a monitor widescreen shows benefits because your eyes are offset so you will be able to take in more data on a horizontal plane opposed to vertical. Where as further back for a tv the benefits of more screen space on the vertical plane show a larger benefit until you get to a massive size screen versus sitting distance.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
There sure are a lot of uniformed takes from people here, but I expect nothing less from Era. I couldn't possibly respond to them all.

72653-tv-review-philipjjwm.jpg
lg-105uc9zmjl3.jpg

Really though, I wish they would give it another try.
OLEDs would be ideal for 21:9 displays, since you don't have to worry about backlight uniformity or viewing angle.

Also if you just get a larger/higher res 16:9 monitor you could match the horizontal FOV of an ultrawide while having a larger vertical FOV
In theory, yes.
In practice, no.

With a 21:9 display I can comfortably sit close enough that I have a 60° horizontal viewing angle and a 25° vertical viewing angle.
Sitting the same distance to a 16:9 display increases the vertical viewing angle to 32° - which I find uncomfortably tall to look at. It involves too much head/eye movement to see everything.

When I sit further back from a 16:9 display to the point that it becomes comfortable, the horizontal viewing angle is only 44° and vertical is back around 25°.
After trying various displays, I've found that 60° horizontal and 25° vertical is about the limit of what is comfortable to me on either axis, no matter the aspect ratio.
Which means that 21:9 monitors (2.39:1) are almost the ideal aspect ratio. 60:25 is 2.40:1.
Anything taller shrinks the horizontal view, while anything wider shrinks the vertical, because it forces me to sit further back.

2.40:1 also eliminates letterboxing from 99% of movies in existence.

Consoles don't support it at all and PC support is so-so.
Rare supported it in some of their N64 games. It's not that difficult.
Perfect Dark:
perfect-dark-aspect-qld23.gif

Ultrawide is amazing, but the additional hardware requirements puts it out of a lot of people's price range. My 1080 ti went from being great on a 16:9 1440P monitor to struggling on a 21:9 1440P monitor, which means I need to upgrade to a 3080. I won't go back to 16:9, but I think it needs to remain as the standard.
The GPU workload is only 1/3 more for 21:9 - and that's if you keep the same vertical resolution.
3440x1440 is about 60% of the cost of rendering native 4K, and looks much better.

It's just like adding black bars at the top and bottom of your screen. So, a useless feature that should better stay dead and forgotten. 4K is where it's at.
No.
It fixes the problem of movies getting smaller and requiring you to sit closer to get the bigger impact it is supposed to provide.
And you get a much larger image in games.

aspect-ratiosp2rhu.gif

• While ultrawide support has definitely increased in many PC games, it's still lacking in way too many. Bloodstained stands out as the most recent example for this. Sometimes I get weird things going on, like in the level transitions for A Hat in Time.
Start using the PC Gaming Wiki and Widescreen Gaming Forum.
I played through Bloodstained: RotN in 21:9 the day of release.

• Having one monitor is worse than two when it comes to screen sharing (work) or streaming (gaming) and I've been feeling that pinch a lot lately. Having to do a lot of manual window sizing and keeping things in their own area of the ultrawide. There are times where I wish I could just throw a game on one monitor and all my Discord/chat/stream controls on another.
Use FancyZones or buy DisplayFusion in the next Steam sale (typically 75% off, and has a less restrictive license than buying direct).
docs.microsoft.com

Microsoft PowerToys

Microsoft PowerToys is a set of utilities for customizing Windows. Utilities include ColorPicker, FancyZones, File Explorer Add-ons, Image Resizer, Keyboard Manager, PowerRename, PowerToys Run, a Shortcut Guide and more to come.

• Widescreen = 16:9
  • Ultra-wide ≈ 21:9
  • Super Ultra-wide = 32:9
I've seen a lot of confusion about this, or terms being misused now.
Many seem to have started calling 21:9 displays "widescreen" and 32:9 "ultra-wide" as though 16:9 was not.

I do agree with you about 32:9 though.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is terrible for gaming, but I see it as a substitute for a dual-monitor productivity setup rather than being ideal for gaming. It's too wide.

Nov 8, 2017
Not enough people have one? Probably why it won't be standard.

I also hate the stretching and distortions; way more annoying than immersive.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
There sure are a lot of uniformed takes from people here, but I expect nothing less from Era. I couldn't possibly respond to them all.

72653-tv-review-philipjjwm.jpg
lg-105uc9zmjl3.jpg

Really though, I wish they would give it another try.
OLEDs would be ideal for 21:9 displays, since you don't have to worry about backlight uniformity or viewing angle.

In theory, yes.
In practice, no.

With a 21:9 display I can comfortably sit close enough that I have a 60° horizontal viewing angle and a 25° vertical viewing angle.
Sitting the same distance to a 16:9 display increases the vertical viewing angle to 32° - which I find uncomfortably tall to look at. It involves too much head/eye movement to see everything.

When I sit further back from a 16:9 display to the point that it becomes comfortable, the horizontal viewing angle is only 44° and vertical is back around 25°.
After trying various displays, I've found that 60° horizontal and 25° vertical is about the limit of what is comfortable to me on either axis, no matter the aspect ratio.
Which means that 21:9 monitors (2.39:1) are almost the ideal aspect ratio. 60:25 is 2.40:1.
Anything taller shrinks the horizontal view, while anything wider shrinks the vertical, because it forces me to sit further back.

2.40:1 also eliminates letterboxing from 99% of movies in existence.

Rare supported it in some of their N64 games. It's not that difficult.
Perfect Dark:
perfect-dark-aspect-qld23.gif

The GPU workload is only 1/3 more for 21:9 - and that's if you keep the same vertical resolution.
3440x1440 is about 60% of the cost of rendering native 4K, and looks much better.

No.
It fixes the problem of movies getting smaller and requiring you to sit closer to get the bigger impact it is supposed to provide.
And you get a much larger image in games.

aspect-ratiosp2rhu.gif

Start using the PC Gaming Wiki and Widescreen Gaming Forum.
I played through Bloodstained: RotN in 21:9 the day of release.

Use FancyZones or buy DisplayFusion in the next Steam sale (typically 75% off, and has a less restrictive license than buying direct).
docs.microsoft.com

Microsoft PowerToys

Microsoft PowerToys is a set of utilities for customizing Windows. Utilities include ColorPicker, FancyZones, File Explorer Add-ons, Image Resizer, Keyboard Manager, PowerRename, PowerToys Run, a Shortcut Guide and more to come.

• Widescreen = 16:9
  • Ultra-wide ≈ 21:9
  • Super Ultra-wide = 32:9
I've seen a lot of confusion about this, or terms being misused now.
Many seem to have started calling 21:9 displays "widescreen" and 32:9 "ultra-wide" as though 16:9 was not.

I do agree with you about 32:9 though.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is terrible for gaming, but I see it as a substitute for a dual-monitor productivity setup rather than being ideal for gaming. It's too wide.
200.gif

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
I have a 32:9 and I don't think it's ideal. A little too wide. Love it for productivity and overall immersion but it's a bit much.

21:9 absolutely. So much better than 16:9.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
Here's some examples of my G9... even with pillarboxes which disappear after about 30 seconds of your eyes focusing on the game.
The 1000R curve makes it incredibly immersive.

9gHxGGz.jpg

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say 21:9 is the perfect ratio as well. Anything bigger then that and you are moving your head unless you're sitting way back. I would love a 32:9 as a work screen tho; I'm already using two monitors for work anyways.