• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zabojnik

Oct 28, 2017
We still here.

botw_cemu_0103pqp.png

Very happy with my X34A. It'll be a few years before I start thinking about upgrading again, hopefully there'll be at least one decent 38"+ 144hz+ 4K HDR panel out by then. 34" isn't small, but ... Yeah.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
We still here.

botw_cemu_0103pqp.png

Very happy with my X34A. It'll be a few years before I start thinking about upgrading again, hopefully there'll be at least one decent 38"+ 144hz+ 4K HDR panel out by then. 34" isn't small, but ... Yeah.

Wew, the colors look infinitely more vibrant here than on the Switch. Did you do tweak it somehow or is it just my imagination? I'm planning on replaying BOTW on CEMU some day soon if my 6700k manages to run it in 4k and I want it to look like this too.

Okrim

Dec 14, 2017
Italy
Still going with my LG's 2560x1080 and it always feels awesome. I'll see if I can find some good offer on a higher resolution monitor when I upgrade my pc next year. Honestly, I use it for movies too when I'm alone.

What is the argument in favour of 16:9 and against 21:9?
Like: "I like shorter things"? That bit of extra space is nice when you work on the desktop too not only in gaming.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Personally I like 18:9 better, too bad beside current cellphones no one make screens like that. I use it with my 16:9 screen using nvidia gpu scaling.

Zabojnik

Oct 28, 2017
Wew, the colors look infinitely more vibrant here than on the Switch. Did you do tweak it somehow or is it just my imagination? I'm planning on replaying BOTW on CEMU some day soon if my 6700k manages to run it in 4k and I want it to look like this too.
Your CPU should run it just fine. I'm running a couple of BotW enhancements / graphics packs in CEMU, yeah. Hi-res shadows, clarity (removes that ugly foggy filter), FXAA, obviously 21:9.

Check out "BSOD Gaming" on YT, has all the info you'll need and more.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Your CPU should run it just fine. I'm running a couple of BotW enhancements / graphics packs in CEMU, yeah. Hi-res shadows, clarity (removes that ugly foggy filter), FXAA, obviously 21:9.

Check out "BSOD Gaming" on YT, has all the info you'll need and more.

Nice, thank you! I'll be sure to check the channel out.

elelunicy

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently LG announced a new 34" 5120x2160 monitor (34WK95U). 4k ultrawide is finally here after a long wait.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently LG announced a new 34" 5120x2160 monitor (34WK95U). 4k ultrawide is finally here after a long wait.
Unfortunately it only has a 60Hz panel and seems to be targeting Mac users rather than gamers, but the panel in the ASUS PG348Q and the Acer X34 was also 60Hz native, overclockable to 100Hz. So there's hope for a potential G-Sync display using it.
That said, my GTX 1070 is struggling at 3440x1440 in quite a few games now.
Windows' scaling at 1.5x is really not ideal either. If I was buying a high DPI display, I'd want something which is designed for 2x scaling.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
What are some titles that absolutely shine in 21:9?
Doom is the most recent looker in my opinion, besides that try some of the Source Engine Games like Portal 2, HL2 or even TF2, they all work just fine and show how dynamic the engine can work with resolutions. Crysis 1 and 3 are my Favorites regarding wider view gameplay and graphics wise.

Also Racing Games, especially the Codemaster Games like Grid and Rally are exceptionaly in 21:9, Forza also works just fine I think.

RTS are a whole new World, Anno 1404, CiV 6 and the like benefit hugely of the wider view.

I love 21:9 and most recently I'm even eying with the new 32:9 standard.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I've been wanting to play Rise of the Tomb Raider in custom res 3440x1440 (nvidia) but I can't seem to get it to display correctly. It just outputs in fullscreen, unlike other games which show the appropriate black bars. Any help? I have the Windows Store version

I have been playing Witcher 3 quite a bit in 21:9 and it looks amazing at that aspect ratio

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
Was really hoping to get some more solid information on the new 200hz Gsync HDR monitors from Acer and Asus during CES, but it seems they are not showing them.

Held off on buying the Alienware AW3418DW when it was on sale to get more info on the new stuff, but I don't think they are coming till late 2018, and probably at 1,700 to 2,000. Wish I would have snagged the Alienware at 999.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Was really hoping to get some more solid information on the new 200hz Gsync HDR monitors from Acer and Asus during CES, but it seems they are not showing them.

Held off on buying the Alienware AW3418DW when it was on sale to get more info on the new stuff, but I don't think they are coming till late 2018, and probably at 1,700 to 2,000. Wish I would have snagged the Alienware at 999.
They're said to be Q2 2018 now. At least it's not H2 2018…

Umer

Jan 4, 2018
Before I go into it, I'd like to clear by no means I'm starting a 4K vs UltraWide rant, just my personal opinion and what I'm looking forward to in the upcoming tech.

I jumped on UltraWide ever since the early models from LG which came in 2560 x 1080, moved from there to 3440 x 1440 and in the early days, it was a huge pain to get games to work, but it got better later on, but still wasn't perfect.
And then I jumped on 4K when the very first models from Samsung became available for consumers, and have upgraded multiple models since and been using 4K G-Sync for the past few years now, next upgrade is 4K G-Sync HDR 144Hz from ASUS alongside the recently announced BFGD from NVIDIA later this year.

So, coming from intense amount of experience in both of these, I personally prefer 4K among UltraWide myself. Albeit, it is more taxing on GPUs and some games still can't do 4K60 maxed out, but any half decent optimized game has been doing 4K60 maxed out (except AA, not needed in 4K) on a single 1080, I seldom use my 1080 Ti for it as well. Not to mention, 4K panel is G-Sync so even if it can't maintain 4K60, anywhere from 40fps and above with G-Sync makes it appear just as smooth as 4K60, granted it won't give you the native 4K60 experience, but if you have used G-Sync, you'll know what I'm talking about when I say the 'smoothness' is stabilized because of it. So, even if your GPU can't handle 4K60, G-Sync is God-sent for that. I retired out of my UltraWide days long ago after jumping into 4K and never looked back, it was still being used simultaneously (no thanks to Windows and its crappy scaling for multiple monitors with different resolution), I never really bothered to game on it again. From productivity POV as well, I preferred 4K over UltraWide myself but YMMV.

With all that said ...

I am really looking forward to 4K UltraWide like the one announced from LG (falsely being advertised as 5K UltraWide despite being 2160p only), I personally prefer more real estate to work with, whether be it in game or productivity than simple UltraWide. I'd rather have more screen on top and bottom as well, not just on sides. But this 4K UltraWide with upcoming consumer NVIDIA GPUs (Volta/Ampere) should be able to handle 4K60 just fine. Obviously I'll enjoy fps games on that 4K 144Hz more, but in indie titles and games like Life is Strange for example, anything from Telltale and the likes, I'd enjoy it much more on a higher resolution than just UltraWide.

Zabojnik, beautiful screenshot from Zelda, fam. Shared it with a few buddies of mine.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I game a lot with 3440x1440 rez on my 49" 4K TV [which I use as a PC monitor]. I essentially get a 40" 21:9 image.

Witcher 3 is amazing on this kind of setup.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I just wish they would announce a price soon to base a decision on waiting or going with something available now.
I believe you, but where'd u see this info?
Sorry, I was on mobile when I replied.

Nezacant Posted this link in the G-Sync thread: https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-gsync-hdr-release-date
The 27-inch G-Sync HDR panels shown off at CES last year are scheduled to launch in Q1, while the glorious 34-inch versions we saw in the summer at Computex will hit the shelves in Q2.

Coolade

Oct 27, 2017
I believe the steam survey states that we are less than 1% of PC gamers. And I'd also say the majority of the games I own support the 21:9 aspect ratio and there are tools to help with games that don't. I prefer ultrawide to 4k gaming and I hope it becomes the future standard as prices drop. Andddd can't forget ultrawide zelda :)

taahahmed

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Subbed.

I use the exact same method as you, OP, though I mainly use it to get a performance bump for games that can't reach full 4k30FPS on my 1070 but yeah this hack is pretty great for anyone who wants some sort of an ultrawide screen on a 4K TV.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
I'm here with a 2560x1080 LG monitor. Cheap, good colors, 75 Hz, FreeSync. I don't want to go back to 16:9.

For now almost every game works without problem, the only ones that are locked to 16:9 are some indie games or regular ports like Nioh, but there are community made fixes.

Playing Hellblade right now

Hmm, that's pretty close the one I have. I got the LG 29UM59-P on sale for like $150.00 CDN a few weeks back. I've got it all calibrated and absolutely love it.

I'm spoiled on ultrawide now.

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Real talk. OLED screen, custom 21:9 resolutions. Those black bars and borders become invisible and you've got a big ass 21:9 screen.

I was doing this with The Evil Within and it really is great.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Got refurbished x34 for 600€ today. Next I need to upgrade my gpu. GTX 970 isn't quite up to the task. I can play Trackmania 2 100fps+ so it's enough for now. Coil whine at 100hz is only thing that annoys me about this monitor.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

The games that I played that I instantly noticed how wonderful it was:

The Witcher 3
Stardew Valley
DOTA 2
Rocket League (16:9 is basically unplayable for me now)
FF14 and WOW are the two main MMOs out there and both massively benefit from the extra screen space. They look awesome.

Honestly, kind of everything that supports 21:9 is greatly enhanced.

The witness is another good one

Tim

Oct 25, 2017
I recently got an ultrawide, and I love it. Makes so many games better.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I got a 60 inch panny plasma and a 34 inch Ultrawide right next to each other in my setup. I go back and forth between them depending on the game (support,performance, etc). I use my monitor mostly for editing and regular everyday task, but when a game supports 21:9 well it is a bliss. Just finished Wolfenstein II, currently going through Hellblade and COD WWII, all amazing on 21:9. Such a shame RE7 didn't properly support it.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
I love my X34. There is no way I'll ever go back to a 16:9 monitor for PC gaming as long as there is a choice.

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
Microcenter had the Alienware AW3418DW for 999, so I jumped on it. 120hz, 1440p, IPS and Gsync.

Really wanted HDR and 200hz, but I'm ready to updgrade from the 2560x1080 panel I got, and I miss G-sync so much.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
How do you force 16:9 aspect ratio without stretching image on 21.9 monitor? I would rather play PUBG 16:9 with black bars than zoomed in 21:9 and I don't want 16:9 stretched to fill the screen. Is my only option to play windowed?

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I'm here with a 2560x1080 LG monitor. Cheap, good colors, 75 Hz, FreeSync. I don't want to go back to 16:9.

For now almost every game works without problem, the only ones that are locked to 16:9 are some indie games or regular ports like Nioh, but there are community made fixes.

gtg7qbflgxzz.png

Playing Hellblade right now

calibrated how if you don't mind me asking