• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yup. And I've seen some damn good insults comics, like Don Rickles or Frankie Boyle. Their audience is there because they expect to be insulted, that's what you're there to see.

Eh, calling someone who was losing hair due to a medical condition 'GI Jane' is pretty cruel.

I feel kinda bad that having a buzz cut is considered a bad look somehow?? Both Jada and Demi in GI Jane looked great with it. :/
Heck, it's great seeing more girls trying it out. But understandably you get upset if it's something you didn't actually choose...

The medical condition aspect ain't great, and if Chris Rock knew that was the case, then shame on him for bringing it up anyways (though apparently they made up on it already? But damn that's one hell of a reaction). I understand people defending their spouses in, sometimes, big/grandiose ways, and Will certainly made that choice (I'm more of a "talk about it in the back" kinda person). Still curious what/if this will change how some comedians do jokes on Awards nights (I actually found some of the other ribbing done that night much more 'risky').

Chris ROCK, not Tucker.

DOY! Argh, sorry. I watched a Chris Tucker movie yesterday and had him top of mind. 😅 😩 (I'm generally terrible with names too, my bad for not double checking)

Last edited:

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel kinda bad that having a buzz cut is considered a bad look somehow?? Both Jada and Demi in GI Jane looked great with it. :/
Heck, it's great seeing more girls trying it out.

The medical condition aspect ain't great, and if Chris Tucker knew that was the case then shame on him (I'm happy to hear they made up), but damn that's one hell of a reaction.

Chris ROCK, not Tucker.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Of course it's completely different. On "the street" it sounds like you're just talking about a stranger insulting your wife, which among other things could mean he's trying to start a fight.

This was an awards ceremony where a *comedian* whom you know roasted peers and friends with *jokes*, and you laughed along all night long and even laughed at this one. And then when you got mad you had that looong walk in front of all those people and up the catwalk to think about what you were going to do when you got up there.

When I say "on the street" this is a catch-all for any public place, really. And it doesn't have to be a stranger. Acquaintances, family, and friends likely wouldn't take it lightly even if you have been making jokes all night.

Just because a comedian is known for roasting people doesn't mean one cannot react emotionally to said jokes. Not to mention someone making a joke doesn't absolve them of the words they said nor does being a comedian mean someone is immune to consequences for jokes. This doesn't mean I think what was done was right. Just that I understand.

Making jokes isn't a crime, assaulting someone is. Especially in "freeze peach" America. If you want to prese charges because somebody wronged you, you can sue and go to court. That is called the law (and was invented so that people don't just attack each other because they think it's their right).

No one can just assault someone, no matter the circumstance. Certainly not THIS circumstance. If any of you think this was okay and Smith shouldn't suffer any consequences, you are part of the problem and need to take a hard look at yourself.

Shameful that people here defend violence.

Making a joke does not absolve people of consequences, even violent ones. Words can hurt people, clearly, and can cause violent and emotional reactions. You may not agree that this situation warranted violence and I agree. But to think that speech doesn't have consequences, legal or otherwise, is just not true.

Except criminal law does require state violence to enforce so you clearly think violence is okay in some situations.

People assault each other all the time without law enforcement involvement. This altercation is tame and not uncommon. That doesn't make it right but there was never going to be charges pressed.

What consequences here would be appropriate? Jail? It seems they both have sorted it out. That should be enough.

Last edited:

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
But making fun of someone's medical issue in front of millions of people isn't a national humiliation?

It's okay for Jada to be humiliated but not Chris?
Making jokes isn't a crime, assaulting someone is. Especially in "freeze peach" America. If you want to press charges because somebody wronged you, you can sue and go to court. That is called the law (and was invented so that people don't just attack each other because they think it's their right).

No one can just assault someone, no matter the circumstance. Certainly not THIS circumstance. If any of you think this was okay and Smith shouldn't suffer any consequences, you are part of the problem and need to take a hard look at yourself.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's something about Twitter that must rot people's brains, because im not sure why anyone has leapt to insinuating that the guy beats up his wife

Yea like what, I know what they're talking about, but associating that to Will's speech given the context is just wild

Dec 30, 2020
Heck, it's great seeing more girls trying it out.

The medical condition aspect ain't great, and if Chris Tucker knew that was the case then shame on him (I'm happy to hear they made up), but damn that's one hell of a reaction.
And that's the crazy thing! She doesn't even look BAD! Jada looks damn good with it clean shaven. I've SEEN celebrities go to those ceremonies with some whacked out hairdos like they got their hair cut with cursed scissors and I KNOW there were some there that evening Rock could've gone after instead.

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
Making jokes isn't a crime, assaulting someone is. Especially in "freeze peach" America. If you want to press charges because somebody wronged you, you can sue and go to court. That is called the law (and was invented so that people don't just attack each other because they think it's their right).

+1

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

my eyes could not roll any harder

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Your whiteness is showing.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The shit I read here.

A few years ago I punched two guys in the bus who were starting to physically assault my girlfriend.
But I guess I should have just asked their names to press charges the following day, because violence isn't the answer in ANY cirumstances!!

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Having a 59 page thread about Oscar nominations proves how invested people are in the Oscars. /s

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Violence is never the answer" feels like one white ass smoke flare. Same shit from RW Twitter when a nazi gets punched.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Would you be saying the same thing if the slap was in response to a racist, homophobic or transphobic comment?

"No matter the circumstance," right?

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
When I say "on the street" this is a catch-all for any public place, really. And it doesn't have to be a stranger. Acquaintances, family, and friends likely wouldn't take it lightly even if you have been making jokes all night.

Just because a comedian is known for roasting people doesn't mean one cannot react emotionally to said jokes. Not to mention someone making a joke doesn't absolve them of the words they said nor does being a comedian mean someone is immune to consequences for jokes. This doesn't mean I think what was done was right. Just that I understand.

Making a joke does not absolve people of consequences, even violent ones. Words can hurt people, clearly, and can cause violent and emotional reactions. You may not agree that this situation warranted violence and I agree. But to think that speech doesn't have consequences, legal or otherwise, is just not true.

Except criminal law does require state violence to enforce so you clearly think violence is okay in some situations.

People assault each other all the time without law enforcement involvement. This altercation is tame and not uncommon. That doesn't make it right but there was never going to be charges pressed.

What consequences here would be appropriate? Jail? It seems they both have sorted it out. That should be enough.
If this were tame, the entire world wouldn't be conmenting on it. I hope it ends Smith's career.

Other countries have laws for offences that must be prosecuted ex officio, meaning criminal law applies in all cases, no matter if someone presses charges - and with good reason. Looks like the US doesn't, but that shouldn't excuse anyone in the public eye. Certainly not in this case.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Eh.. I get it, but this feels pretty naive.
In terms of how cops treat violence though, yeah, that shit will absolutely get you into trouble with the law whether it was a small hit or a beat down.

And fuck it, I'd argue a lot of damage can be done with "jokes"; hell half of the popular idiots on Twitch will say some truly heinous shit under the guise of a 'joke'. :/

Nov 2, 2017
Other countries have laws for offences that must be prosecuted ex officio, meaning criminal law applies in all cases, no matter if someone presses charges - and with good reason. Looks like the US doesn't, but that shouldn't excuse anyone in the public eye. Certainly not in this case.

You one post ago: "Violence is never the answer!"
You this post: "I demand violence, even when all parties involved are opposed! *starts pounding table* VIOLENCE, VIOLENCE, VIOLENCE."

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
What a wild thread with wild takes and pretty much everyone coming out of it looking like an ass.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I long ago lost count of the number of times racist insults were hurled my way both IRL and online under the guise "it's just a joke dude!"

So fuck off with that privileged honkey shit.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
If this were tame, the entire world wouldn't be conmenting on it. I hope it ends Smith's career.

People are commenting on it because it happened on live TV between rich people on an award show. This happens at many events on any given night.

Prosecutors can file charges but they won't because it's not worth their time. He would never see a day of jail and not just because he's rich. If I did this at a bar or party to someone and it ended with the slap, I wouldn't end up in jail either.

You do realize that pressing charges and arresting someone is state violence, yes? Especially after the altercation has ended.

Last edited:

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
The shit I read here.

A few years ago I punched two guys in the bus who were starting to physically assault my girlfriend.
But I guess I should have just asked their names to press charges the following day, because violence isn't the answer in ANY cirumstances!!

"My girlfriend"? that sounds like possessive and toxic masculinity breh, you probably hit her too idk. Violence is never the answer.

just poking fun at the mental gymnastics and hypocrisy some go trough

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

He won the Oscar like ten minutes later and he was already one of the biggest stars in Hollywood. I really doubt this will have any effect on his career, especially in a business that gleefully employs people who have done much worse.

Oct 25, 2017

Why do you want the law to be violent towards Smith when its not in defense of anyone? Chris Rock made clear there's no need for it.

Oct 25, 2017
The shit I read here.

Must have missed where Chris Rock threatened physical violence.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
The shit I read here.

I certainly wouldn't have blamed Chris if he fought back.

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
The shit I read here.

I didn't realize Chris Rock was also physically assaulting Jada too.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Why is this thread being shit up with all of the "Will Smith slapping Chris Rock" talk? Why isn't there a thread dedicated to that? It's literally the thing everyone is talking about today...

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I liked Dune a lot but it really felt like half a story to the point it kind of disappointed me. The idea it could have not performed well and we would never have gotten Part 2 is a joke. I hope it's released again in theaters around when Part 2 comes out.

I just finished watching part one. I really love the movie but I can understand how people would be frustrated. Personally I felt it had a very good ending point, But it doesn't necessarily end with much of a sense of closure.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
People are commenting on it because it happened on live TV between rich people on an award show. This happens at many events on any given night.

Prosecutors can file charges but they won't because it's not worth their time. He would never see a day of jail and not just because he's rich. If I did this at a bar or party to someone and it ended with the slap, I wouldn't end up in jail either.

You do realize that pressing charges and arresting someone is state violence, yes? Especially after the altercation has ended.
Sure, this happens a lot. That's why there are laws against it and people that use physical violence receive punishment (or should, in the best case scenario).

I'm talking about physical violence of course. The idea that state has the sole monopoly on physical violence is the foundation of modern societies (except for some people here it seems). There are edge cases of course such as self-defense, but that doesn't change the underlining idea. People invented that idea so that conflicts are not solved by violence anymore, and it greatly reduced violence as a result.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk, but y'all need to do some research if you never heard this or don't understand this.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
What Chris Rock said was not okay. What Will Smith did was not okay.

Mulling it over, I don't have a strong stance on the matter and, out of curiosity, am trying to think about it in the context of RW American Christian values and how it could be looked at through that lens. Most RW Americans would probably agree that people should be allowed to defend themselves and their families (muh gunz), especially when violence is brought about in word and especially deed, but RW Americans who call themselves Christians certainly require cognitive dissonance to accept this belief while at the same time preaching the virtue of turning the other cheek.

I don't have a strong point. Just...interesting to think about. Or not. Ignore at your leisure.

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, I made a joke in a text chain about "Did I miss anything at the Oscars last night? I went to sleep early."
Then my friends explained what happened at the Oscars.
Do I explain it was a joke?
A very, very good joke.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just finished watching part one. I really love the movie but I can understand how people would be frustrated. Personally I felt it had a very good ending point, But it doesn't necessarily end with much of a sense of closure.

Happy to see Villeneuve getting the love he deserves (BR2049 deserved more of that way back when IMO), but yeah I feel this too.

Dune surprisingly cleaned up, and I'm happy, but a little surprised, it did.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I only know the Oscars happened last night because of the Smith/Rock thing. After looking at the winners, it's nice to see Dune receiving the recognition it deserves. Far and away the most memorable sensory experience I had in a theatre last year, and in recent memory.

Last edited:

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Sure, this happens a lot. That's why there are laws against it and people that use physical violence receive punishment (or should, in the best case scenario).

I'm talking about physical violence of course. The idea that state has the sole monopoly on physical violence is the foundation of modern societies (except for some people here it seems). There are edge cases of course such as self-defense, but that doesn't change the underlining idea. People invented that idea so that conflicts are not solved by violence anymore, and it greatly reduced violence as a result.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk, but y'all need to do some research if you never heard this or don't understand this.

Punishment in what way? What would be a sufficient punishment for a slap?

Why should the state have a monopoly on violence? This monopoly has lead to a lot of atrocities in the United States. I'm not sure the amount of violence has been reduced simply because the state has monopoly. There are many reasons why violence waxes and wanes and many reasons why it occurs. But conflicts ARE solved by violence when state violence is used, just a violence you agree with. But we are talking about a person in the United States where massive amounts of state violence takes place every day. 1/3rd of people have an arrest record and we have over a million people in prison. It creates violence where there wasn't any before, such as people using drugs.

I have heard of this. I don't have to agree with it because it, often, leads to the mistaken belief that state violence is inherently good and leads to fascism.