• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what's more surprising, Gaga getting snubbed or Don't Look Up getting a nomination. Wat

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
What the heck… raya the dragon got nominated? Is a tough one between encanto, Luca and the Mitchell's. I personally would go for Luca.

Is a shame that Last Duel didn't get nominated. Matt Damon, Adam driver and Jodie Comer were excellent and the final act was heart pounding edge of your seat drama.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I just finished watching King Richard. It is basically this year's Bohemian Rhapsody: aggressively bland and sanitized "official" celebrity biopic carried by a hammy central performance.

And if King Richard is this year's Bohemian Rhapsody, Don't Look Up is this year's Vice: a star-studded and heavy-handed Adam McKay satire that no one seems to like but still somehow gets nominated everywhere.

Neither of these films should be anywhere near best picture category.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Releasing two notable movies in the same year could help somebody get nominated. I think the problem with Ridley Scott's output in 2021is that one of the films was a misfire with critics and the other with audiences, while none of them was received too glowingly in general. Add all the strong competition around (amongst it a director as Hamaguchi with two highly regarded films in the same year) and it's clear there was no real chance for him, less so in a list of five.
Don't Look Up is this year's Vice: a star-studded and heavy-handed Adam McKay satire that no one seems to like but still somehow gets nominated everywhere.
I do agree to some extent, though in fairness I still believe that at least Vice got strong performances, while the whole exercise was more or less succesful: characterizations were relatively focused, the satire/cynical component was a bit more restrained and served to accentuate the central drama, a story that never got too lost or too far from its main character and topic. Let's say there are categories of disappointment and Don't Look Up is in a sphere of its own, in my opinion well below anything McKay's done earlier. Except for the jazzy score, I can't name a single thing that worked for me in that movie.

Last edited:

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is a shame that Last Duel didn't get nominated. Matt Damon, Adam driver and Jodie Comer were excellent and the final act was heart pounding edge of your seat drama.

Seriously, that movie was awesome.

I just finished watching King Richard. It is basically this year's Bohemian Rhapsody: aggressively bland and sanitized "official" celebrity biopic carried by a hammy central performance.

I basically cry at any movie worth a damn, plus I have a four-year-old so parent/kid relationship movies kill me (see: Mitchells vs the Machines). The fact that I didn't shed a single tear during King Richard is pretty bad, in my eyes. It was a good, enjoyable movie, but lacked the emotional punch that would have elevated it to something special for me.

It's still a lot better than Rhapsody. That movie was just lame.

And if King Richard is this year's Bohemian Rhapsody, Don't Look Up is this year's Vice: a star-studded and heavy-handed Adam McKay satire that no one seems to like but still somehow gets nominated everywhere.

I liked Vice...

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Today I remembered that I had forgotten C'mon C'mon. Not like the film had much traction but in a different year I'm sure this would've been the kind of indie film that gets voters' attention.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I basically cry at any movie worth a damn, plus I have a four-year-old so parent/kid relationship movies kill me (see: Mitchells vs the Machines). The fact that I didn't shed a single tear during King Richard is pretty bad, in my eyes. It was a good, enjoyable movie, but lacked the emotional punch that would have elevated it to something special for me.
I think a big problem with the film was that there was hardly any setbacks for its heroes after like the first 20 minutes (basically after they found a coach). That might be how it was in real life but it doesn't really make good drama.

I agree that Bohemian Rhapsody was even worse though.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
I won't say Villeneuve was robbed because Dune is a two part endeavor but they should have at least graced him with a nomination. I also thought Rebecca Ferguson deserved a nod.

Edit- Ciarán Hinds! Rooting for him.

Edit part 2 - No acting nominations for the cast of The Last Duel… is no bueno. I though they were excellent.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today I remembered that I had forgotten C'mon C'mon. Not like the film had much traction but in a different year I'm sure this would've been the kind of indie film that gets voters' attention.

This is one of my favorite movies of the year so I would have loved to see it nominated for, oh, seven or eight categories. Oh well.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I saw three movies last year: Pig, The Last Duel, and Dune. Of those, Dune was not the one I expected to sweep up nominations. Nice to see some recognition for a great sci-fi film, but I'm not sure it deserved it over those other two.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Andrew Garfield wins for Tick Tick Boom but I would have liked to see Bradley Cooper nominated for Nightmare Alley.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Edit- Ciarán Hinds! Rooting for him.
46376bbc88fc90d460cf0b57854b15337e86dc46.gifv

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Some questionable nominations but most of the stuff here I liked

I liked Don't Look Up but it's absolutely a zeitgeist film

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gaga stans are DEVASTATEED.

Also, the Best Picture slate this year....I haven't seen Drive My Car nor Coda, but for the rest of them: Woof. They should have re-nominated The Father and give it the top prize. It's better than all of the nominees combined

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Kirsten Dunst wins and becomes physically ill after Benedict Cumberbatch whistles from the audience.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I was kind of surprised by the animated nominations, until I realized I was only looking at "animated short film" and saw that the feature film category was as usual almost only Disney-owned animated films. What a joke of a category.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda hoping Jonny G gets the Oscar for Best Score because he should have won for TWBB, even though I listened to the Dog soundtrack today and can't remember a note.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I'm pretty surprised that Belle didn't get a nom. Shit, Hosoda even had a (former?) Disney animator help design the titular Belle. It even apes scenes from Disney's Beauty and the Beast!

I'm not big on the film, but it's always amusing to see how little Oscar voters care about Japanese animation.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty solid noms. My only disappointment is cage didn't get a nod. Other then that good stuff.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
This has to be the first Oscars with two couples nominated for acting in the same year (Cruz and Bardem in lead, Dunst and Plemons in supporting).
It's definitely happened before. Without exhaustively searching, I'm pretty sure the 85th Oscars counts:

Lawrence/Cooper* in lead *AND* De Niro/Weaver in supporting, all for Silver Linings Playbook, and then also Hoffmann/Adams for The Master.
(*They start out more as a duo but wind up a couple in the end.)

The 87th also fits, with Theory of Everything in lead, and Boyhood in supporting.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Watched Power of the Dog today. Dunst 100% deserved a nod. I didn't even know she can act like that.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
It's definitely happened before. Without exhaustively searching, I'm pretty sure the 85th Oscars counts:

Lawrence/Cooper* in lead *AND* De Niro/Weaver in supporting, all for Silver Linings Playbook, and then also Hoffmann/Adams for The Master.
(*They start out more as a duo but wind up a couple in the end.)

The 87th also fits, with Theory of Everything in lead, and Boyhood in supporting.
I meant real life couples.

Dec 16, 2017
I'm surprised that Being the Ricardos received so many acting nominations. The casting of the movie made me have no interest in it. I guess I'll have to give it a shot.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Biggest snub is of me, by the people in charge of Licorice Pizza's distribution, for not releasing the movie at any cinemas I can reasonably get to and also apparently not doing any kind of streaming release. I am dying.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I don't want to disrupt the happiness behind a cute couple being nominated, but if Kristen Stewart doesn't win for Best Actress I riot.
I agree that she should win but unfortunately Kidman is probably the front runner. The Academy loves that kinds of roles (doing an impression of a beloved show business figure).

Dunst is the only person from the couples mentioned that has any change in their category.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All I want is for Dune to take some of these, specially the sound effects.

OP
OP
bishopp135

bishopp135

Oct 29, 2017
Sony Pictures Classics is really good at campaigning for their niche titles. Last year it got The Father two wins and six nominations and this year it got two surprising nominations for Parallel Mothers.

Some people want Sony to buy Capcom or Square Enix but I kinda want them to buy A24 so that their movies get some proper campaign.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised that Being the Ricardos received so many acting nominations. The casting of the movie made me have no interest in it. I guess I'll have to give it a shot.

It's just your typical Sorkinisms combined with some rather expected, serviceable acting from the cast. There is nothing special about anyone's performance in this film, particularly Bardem who looks like the giant who killed Desi Arnaz and stole his identity.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I liked Nightmare Alley but I was surprised to see it get a Best Picture nom. It felt like Guillermo del Toro trying to do something way simpler than usual.

reaganstein

Dec 13, 2017
I'm actually most surprised by the best picture nom for nightmare alley. I guess they picked the perfect time to release to streaming. Don't look up at least resembles the big empty movies the oscars tend to nominate and even the winner in green book.

Nighmare alley was a hollow version of the original with basically every part miscast and all the acting itself was extremely flat. Cooper's accents, in particular his accent during the big spook shows, felt like satire or something.