• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Why do you all keep coming in here and posting this stupid "Democrats aren't doing anything for people" shit, doing the GOP's job for them. The previous Democrat governor of Virginia passed the law increasing the minimum wage to $15/hr FROM $7.25/hr over the next 5 years, decriminalized marijuana among many other things. This election was won or lost on messaging and culture wars.
'
Yeah, this is partially why tonight is so devastating. This state had been moving forward in a lot of ways over the last few years and, at least in Fairfax, we handled the pandemic fairly well. This feels like an enormous step back and unfortunately it feels like the most positive outcome would be for Youngkin to flame out and get voted out as soon as possible, but even that is going to involve the state taking a backslide.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Why do you all keep coming in here and posting this stupid "Democrats aren't doing anything for people" shit, doing the GOP's job for them. The previous Democrat governor of Virginia passed the law increasing the minimum wage to $15/hr FROM $7.25/hr over the next 5 years, decriminalized marijuana among many other things. This election was won or lost on messaging and culture wars.

That is true. Blaming Democrats for not doing anything when so much was inbound for Virginia is a bit silly, tons of it progressive priorities.

I know the reason is to push democrats to the the offensive, but when one party fundamentally relies on depressing turnout, maybe that shit backfires.

Tho Dems ran a shit campaign regardless. Candidate shot himself like twice.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Constituents are fucking stupid. Biden needs to do something about inflation costs, gas prices, etc. These somewhat superficial elements are what win and lose elections it seems.

Doesn't matter that Biden and Congress have done more to alleviate poverty in generations. It doesn't stick.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you all keep coming in here and posting this stupid "Democrats aren't doing anything for people" shit, doing the GOP's job for them. The previous Democrat governor of Virginia passed the law increasing the minimum wage to $15/hr FROM $7.25/hr over the next 5 years, decriminalized marijuana among many other things. You can't make more a tangible difference in people's lives than drastically increasing the minimum wage. This election was won or lost on messaging and culture wars, in part because people take what the Democrats have given them for granted.
Over the next 5 years is exactly the kind of shit that doesn't help Democrats. They need stuff NOW. There are issues right now, not 5 years from now. If people are struggling, they don't care about a fucking 5 year plan. People will listen to guy who says they are going to fix things if you get rid if the other guy.

aftunnels

Banned
Jul 23, 2021
I'm just sad that I live in a country where there are literally tens of millions of people who are so

I can't stand the fact that I live in a country with tens of millions of uneducated, racists who vote. It's sickening.
Unfortunately these are the voters Democrats have hitched their wagon to. White suburban men and women giveth and taketh away.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Did the Dems talk about state issues that were on the line at all?

I more or less couldn't tell you because what incredibly little I saw from them was the really non-starter shit already referenced in this thread like "attack" ads that are nonsense. I did early voting so I was already checked out but I just saw virtually nothing from the dems at all this cycle in terms of ads, messaging, etc. Youngkin was absolutely everywhere though. There's a lot of factors for this race, but in general dems being absolute dogshit at messaging and getting that message out there is a pretty consistent theme for a while now.

People bailing on significantly more consequential (to them, directly) state and local elections because of the state of national politics is a big reason why Democrats don't build any momentum.

Joe Manchin isn't chairing your school board.

For sure. I'm sort of checked out on local politics since I'm not from here originally, don't have kids, and if you go like 15 minutes out of the city it turns into Confederate and/or Don't Tread on Me flag territory. But if you're someone who doesn't really keep up with local news and you're only seeing the big headlines it's easy to fall into that narrative. I'm always surprised by people like that who have kids though; I'd like to think I'd be pretty invested in that stuff where it would directly affect my child and so on.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
What is even 1 progressive policy Biden passed?

And I love the logic the general public has that when you hand Dems the smallest possible lead to govern the immediate reaction to them getting nothing done is to take it away.

This country defaults to Republicans, plain and simple.
I'm convinced Dems are nothing more than the nation's "cleaning crew" when the GOP fucks up and goes too far. The second the clean up is complete or if voters don't feel that Dems are cleaning up fast enough, throw them out and vote back in the people that fucked up in the first place. Rinse and repeat.

Muse98

May 28, 2020
So how do progressive policies get enacted in a country where half of the population is suffering from a serious case of brain rot?

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Hate to be the bearer of the more bad news, but there's a chance we lose in New Jersey too.

Gotta see more, but it's gonna be close.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is even 1 progressive policy Biden passed?

And I love the logic the general public has that when you hand Dems the smallest possible lead to govern the immediate reaction to them getting nothing done is to take it away.

This country defaults to Republicans, plain and simple.
Well he did promise to cancel student debt but then he changed his mind and said that he didn't know if he could do it and since then he has never brought it up again, maybe he will mention it again when he needs more voters in an election in the future

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Looking like a 50-50 tie for HOD. R's picked up 5 seats (also Gov, LT Gov, Atty General)

This is big news btw…there's no "tie breaker" in the HOD. If a bill is tied it fails.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
So the Democrats are about to lose New Jersey to the Republicans

There literally is nothing to back up that take yet. Outperforming Trump in small red counties is meaningless. The Governor race will be won or lost in the same areas it always is, and a lot of those numbers simply aren't in yet.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Also goes to show how EVERY vote counts. Some of these HOD seats are being decided by ~100/200 votes.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I can tell you all that as someone in NJ that Jack has been campaigning very aggressively from my perspective, can't get away from hearing him talk about taxes and whatnot, on the Murphy side of things the only thing I get is him trying to tie Jack to Trump.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I'm now preparing for life in an authoritarian country. I could maybe be happy if I pretend reality doesn't exist. Got a ways to go here.

Yeah, I thought trying to overthrow the country might hurt the Republicans politically, at least for a year or two. More fool me. Should have known no one would care a few months later.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you all that as someone in NJ that Jack has been campaigning very aggressively from my perspective, can't get away from hearing him talk about taxes and whatnot, on the Murphy side of things the only thing I get is him trying to tie Jack to Trump.

I've noticed this too. He's been campaigning aggressively in the past few months. Every radio, TV and youtube ad has been Jack ads. I think this entire time, I've heard one Murphy ad.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
For sure. I'm sort of checked out on local politics since I'm not from here originally, don't have kids, and if you go like 15 minutes out of the city it turns into Confederate and/or Don't Tread on Me flag territory. But if you're someone who doesn't really keep up with local news and you're only seeing the big headlines it's easy to fall into that narrative. I'm always surprised by people like that who have kids though; I'd like to think I'd be pretty invested in that stuff where it would directly affect my child and so on.
Lot of people treat kids as extensions themselves and/or their property so I'm not surprised at how parents act honestly.

For the love of... stop doing this! A Campaign needs way more than this, especially in a Post-Trump Presidency!

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Silver lining here is that turnout was high. They will probably be there again next year, so there's an opportunity to win them over.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hate to be the bearer of the more bad news, but there's a chance we lose in New Jersey too.

Gotta see more, but it's gonna be close.

Cool! I'm so very happy that the voting people checked off MY name when my republican DAD (we have the same damn name) voted today. They were really embarrassed and called five different people trying to find a solution, none answered, and their fix was to have me fill out a provisional ballot. So now there will be two votes under my name in the system? Not sure how that's supposed to work.

I really fucking hope they were eventually able to reach someone and reverse my father's vote. I'm fucking heated.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you all keep coming in here and posting this stupid "Democrats aren't doing anything for people" shit, doing the GOP's job for them. The previous Democrat governor of Virginia passed the law increasing the minimum wage to $15/hr FROM $7.25/hr over the next 5 years, decriminalized marijuana among many other things. You can't make more a tangible difference in people's lives than drastically increasing the minimum wage. This election was won or lost on messaging and culture wars, in part because people take what the Democrats have given them for granted.
Yeah, an idea that's been formulating in my head for a while, supported by some research, is that issue politics basically don't matter for shit. The only two things that matter are the economy and identity politics. Marijuana legalization didn't move the needle because it didn't speak to either of those points. People don't care about issues. They care about their immediate economic circumstances, and they care about feeling like their sense of self-identity is being respected and represented. And since a whole bunch of people have their self identity wrapped up in being horrible cruel racists...

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, an idea that's been formulating in my head for a while, supported by some research, is that issue politics basically don't matter for shit. The only two things that matter are the economy and identity politics. Marijuana legalization didn't move the needle because it didn't speak to either of those points. People don't care about issues. They care about their immediate economic circumstances, and they care about feeling like their sense of self-identity is being respected and represented. And since a whole bunch of people have their self identity wrapped up in being horrible cruel racists...
The times Dems do well is when they are driven by emotion (Obama 2008; getting rid of Trump 2016), or when Dems make bread and butter issues that directly impact people immediately their one number blaring issue of the campaign (GA senators making sure people get $2000 checks).

aftunnels

Banned
Jul 23, 2021
No, for starters, we'd need an election season that was actually dictated by policy.
I would argue that as long as the Democratic Party continues to be the party that caters to upper-middle class suburbanites and urban profession we will never have an election "dictated by policy"

I hope you like "culture war" because every election is going to be centered on some culture war grievance from here on out.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

You need to talk about this stuff and talk about doing more of it. The Democrats and McAuliffe did not talk about this stuff.

This is how politics works everywhere else in the word but the Democrats seem totally allergic to doing it 95% of the time, instead wanting to almost exclusively talk about how their opponent is bad and likes Trump too much.

Well guess what if you run a culture war the Republicans are way better at it and are gonna win.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that as long as the Democratic Party continues to be the party that caters to upper-middle class suburbanites and urban profession we will never have an election "dictated by policy"

I hope you like "culture war" because every election is going to be centered on some culture war grievance from here on out.
I'm not sure that, at any point in the country's history, certainly in the last 120 years, any election has ever been about policy. Its always about culture war bullshit, its just that sometimes that culture war shit is over class position and sometimes its not. But its never about laws and programs

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017

NJ elected Chris Christie TWICE. NJ voters are fickle as fuck. Party affiliation don't mean shit. Voters flip all the time in NJ.