• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
Now that most of the issues from earlier have been ironed out, I'm really liking the changes so far, at least on mobile. Appreciate all the hard work!

Ronghar

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I have found a bug. When you try to change the "Thread Tag Mode" in the preferences, the rest of the settings options and the "Save" button disappear.

Edit: Wrong thread.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
The new tags on desktop are fine (though I still prefer the old ones), but the tag stacking and spacing on mobile is totally ugly. I don't remember thinking that on the old style. It's just an aesthetics thing though.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I like the new update so far.

Question. Can the reply box at the bottom be disabled while logged in on mobile? Or is that maybe planned down the line?

I haven't seen how the latest updates handles my scrolling but usually when I scrolling down using my left thumb (before update), often I would accidentally hit the "insert" button which would trigger the keyboard to pop up, covering 50% my screen. It drove me nuts. It was due to the darn insert thing all the way at the bottom!

I'll have to test the new updated look and reply back. I wonder if others had that same issue.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Overall these are great improvements but it's odd to me that tags bleed into one another now and you can't tell the difference between a two word tag and two separate tags.

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
I find the tags really distracting this way (desktop), when quickly browing between thread titles my eyes gets drawn to them when I try to read thread titles, I 'll admit I can't even remember how the previous ones were, but I didn't have a problem with them.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot2021071916.png

Firefox 91.0b4, Win10
Didn't check other browsers

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This feels like a UI nightmare I get when our UI team pushes us a new build to test while I'm working on core product calc code, and our team collectively goes wtf is this.

It feels like there is so much wasted space.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
This is probably a bug. With both the dark mode toggle on the left and the button that opens the themes modal on the bottom, they can now have different states. E.G. if i'm on dark mode and i use the left toggle, it will change the style but it will not change the chosen style on the footer. Refreshing the page fixes this and aligns the state in both though.

Also thread title styles (when in the thread) are not updating correctly when toggling the styles.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
The positioning of the "last reply" icon in the thread list looks really out of place on mobile Safari. It's not indented like the rest of the text so it's just hanging out there. This is on the dark theme, no idea if it's a theme issue.

Otherwise, no major issues so far.

Edit: oh excellent, the upgrade fixed my bugbear with quoting posts on mobile Safari being absolutely borked 90% of the time. However, I'm seeing a new issue where double tapping "return" on the virtual keyboard while editing a post sends the focus down to the new post box 🤦‍♂️

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Admins: this was a big undertaking and we're happy to share som highlights :)
Everyone in this thread: >:(

Some of ya'all are so harsh lol, most of the issues brought up are just minor tweaks

Good job staff :)

I still don't know for what or whom the prefixes are for to be honest. For categorizing? Who does that? Better searching? I don't see it, in comparison to a simple google search, finding a specific thread over the search still sucks. So maybe someone can enlighten me. 🤔

It's nice for people like me who usually don't visit that often anymore. Like let's say a thread is prefixed with Atlus and I say "oh I wonder what other Atlus-related things people have been talking about recently" I can just click it and see all the related threads. It's faster and cleaner than searching, especially if you're not sure what you're looking for

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the work and effort, y'all.

Ignoring the persistent lack of automatic theme switching. 😡

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Feature Request: Seems it is not possible to copy an excel table in, so the tables can only be used if you manually write all the table into a single post. I would imagine tables to be most often used by pasting information you have from Excel.

Complaint: The mobile version has so much padding now. I can only see around 6 or 7 threads at a time, which means lots of unnecessary scrolling. I would get rid of the "[Member] replied [Number] minutes ago" section, or move it somewhere else - honestly I don't really see how that information is useful at all, and it's definitely not worthy of having its own line and padding out the threads so much. I can't remember if it was there before, just feels much more padded out with useless space now.

IMG-2484.png

Last edited:

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I looks mostly the same on mobile. Yeah, the post editor feels a bit cluttered. Kind of a test in mystery meat navigation.

I agree with previous posts about the weirdly centered look of Report, Quote, and Reply. If anything should be hidden under a menu it should be Report. I never click that and don't want to accidentally click it either.

Also, the Search box is still randomly broken on mobile, and has been for many years. I'll click the box and the keyboard opens and instantly closes twice.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The update added lazy-loading support, right?
I don't think it's working correctly because the page keeps jumping around when scrolling through threads with animated GIFs.
My understanding is that images are supposed to be replaced by placeholders of the same size to prevent that from happening.
If I disable lazy-loading, things work as normal.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Additional styling has been added so the two groups are separated but not stuck against the sides.

Can you take a screenshot of the affected area?

We've got very little control over the editor button layout, the base platform changed things and now the button manager layout is rather challenging to work with

Yeah, the old-style preview button is much nicer for some work-flows, but the base platform removed it :(

They auto-delete after ~72 hours or something. Really need a 'drafts' page somewhere to expose them and not auto-expire them.
Thanks for the info! Didn't expect a reply. For the most part there are a lot of great changes.

The one thing I'm wondering is whether the bar underneath posts, with the Report, Quote, and Reply buttons, could be reduced vertically. Right now there's a lot of padding above and below those text controls. Combined with the next post's header, there's too much space in between posts.

The space between line break is rather large too, as you can see here.

Sorry if this was covered already.

Getting to the "delete draft" button is now underneath a sub menu. It's harder to get to now.

I delete a lot of drafts.
And the undo button is right next to the sub-menu button, RIP. 😥

Last edited:

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hey folks :)

I've been running some custom CSS script to modify the top row.
OWX6SbG.png

There used to be little icons next to the names like a gamepad etc.

CSS code example:
.watched::before {
font: normal normal normal 18px/1 "Material Design Icons";
content: '\f208';
padding-right: 4px;

This doesn't work anymore as of today... can someone please tell me why? :)

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, thinking about what others have posted too - I'm not sure how feasible it would be all the time, since people will notice/care about different things, but for future forum software updates it might be good to note what specifically was changed that was out of your control? Pointing out that those things exist in general in this thread's OP was helpful, but specifics could help focus discussion more.

Like for example it'd be good to have some clarity on if the post box icons having wasted space + things getting moved to dropdowns was intentional or just something we're unfortunately stuck with, since several of us have brought it up. Knowing that at the start would clear up those questions before they're posted so comments would hopefully focus more on what can actually be changed, and so on.

Admins: this was a big undertaking and we're happy to share som highlights :)
Everyone in this thread: >:(

Some of ya'all are so harsh lol, most of the issues brought up are just minor tweaks

Good job staff :)

While positive feedback is good, pointing out issues here tends to be what gets those minor tweaks made! Fair enough that we could be less harsh about it, but without complaining at all it'd stay that way.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Any way we could get a Covid thread tag? I'd like to control when I see things about covid and being able to ignore all threads without seeing them would be great.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Ok, so what is happening with the Save/Delete draft button is it's being compressed on phones. On iPad, the button is there, on iPhone the buttons are compressed into a three dot submenu in the toolbar.

it's weird because there is tons of empty space on iPhone, there is no need for it to compress.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Noticing something else on mobile - did the order of forum areas in the menu get rearranged, or is there just more padding or something?

I'm so used to tapping Watched there after I'm done reading a thread, and now muscle memory is screwing me up as it just takes me to Latest. Seems like the bottom Safari bar now covers Watched entirely. It's not the end of the world since I just have to get used to making sure I've scrolled down to remove that bar, but it's frustrating and going to take a bit to get used to.

It also has me curious why Trending is placed so highly, above both Latest and Watched, to begin with - do people actually browse that way often enough to merit that being easier to select than those? It seems like it'd be not very useful, since it's a weird mix of very recent stuff and other things that have been closed for weeks, including old OTs. I can't see why you wouldn't just use Latest instead. But I don't use Latest to begin with and I know others do, so maybe it's just me.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a welcome change: previously you had to put two line breaks after a quote to have one empty line before the next line/quote/etc. now one line break is enough.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks :)

I've been running some custom CSS script to modify the top row.
OWX6SbG.png

There used to be little icons next to the names like a gamepad etc.

CSS code example:

This doesn't work anymore as of today... can someone please tell me why? :)
The values for those icons changed:
Gaming: '\F0297'
Gaming Hangouts: '\F02CE'
EtcetEra: '\F0B79'
EtcetEra Hangouts: '\F0849'
Trending: '\F0535'
Latest Threads: '\F0181'
Watched Threads: '\F06D0'

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Being able to ignore comics is the greatest thing ever and the site feels super smooth. Nice update

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to add thread tags to an old thread I made, or is that limited to mod function? Is there a list of existing tags for reference?

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
It feels like the amount of padding has gone crazy with this latest update. On on of the main forum pages, it feels as if the number of visible threads before you have to scroll has halved and everything is just overly vertically spaced out.

This is on Chrome on desktop, by the way, but it's even worse on mobile where I can only see five or six thread titles at once, or even fewer if any of them are long enough to wrap over say three lines.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
on my android phone, when typing something in the editor, I don't get the option to do a google-search anymore for words I marked.
can only cut, copy and paste.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
image.png

Is the highlighted row supposed to track which forum you're on? It doesn't look like it's doing that

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
1) Could the new tags be highlighted a bit more? Either a brighter color or bold font or something. Right now they fade a bit in Dark Mode and just seem like part of the thread title.

2) OT is listed twice in the Ignore Filters section.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Liking the changes in general!

Wondering though if the Discord embeds can go back to what they were? Not sure if that's in your control, but it changed just after these changes.

They used to look like this:

Screenshot_20210719-181121_Discord.jpg

Now they look like this:

Screenshot_20210719-181138_Discord.jpg

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Welp the update broke the ResetEra 2.0 theme from Stylish. Any other users using the theme experiencing this?

Drachen

May 3, 2021
The colored backgrounds on the tags/prefixes should have stayed IMO. That's my only complaint, everything else is fantastic.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Click to shrink" disappeared. You used to be able to re shrink quotes or pics after expanding them.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like the amount of padding has gone crazy with this latest update. On on of the main forum pages, it feels as if the number of visible threads before you have to scroll has halved and everything is just overly vertically spaced out.

This is on Chrome on desktop, by the way, but it's even worse on mobile where I can only see five or six thread titles at once, or even fewer if any of them are long enough to wrap over say three lines.
The amount of space not being utilized is almost laughable now. Why do posts have an inch of padding on each side of them now lol? Looks really bad

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
Quick question, is there a way to change the prefix or add new ones to an already existing thread?
Thread starter can edit the thread shortly after, otherwise reporting the first post and asking moderators can do it.

2) OT is listed twice in the Ignore Filters section.
This is because there are two OT tags.

image.png

Is the highlighted row supposed to track which forum you're on? It doesn't look like it's doing that
This would make sense, but the previous version didn't do it either.

"Click to shrink" disappeared. You used to be able to re shrink quotes or pics after expanding them.
Fixed. Missed updating that feature

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with the new compose box? Search/zoom thingy on the right that doesn't do anything and I can't post pics.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm blind or something but is text size and color gone? On mobile and don't see them anymore?