• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
God Devil May Cry is 20 fucking years old?
It still feels like a "new" franchise to me.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, Final Fantasy X turns 20 this year. Maybe I need to play it a third time now 🤔

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Quake at 25. The most we'll get is a nice tweet from Carmack and Romero. Bethesda barely recognizes Quake these days.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The ones I actually care about won't be celebrated just like how F-Zero didn't even get a mention last year. So, sorry to all Golden Sun and Metroid fans like myself.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Quake at 25. The most we'll get is a nice tweet from Carmack and Romero. Bethesda barely recognizes Quake these days.
It'd be neat if they could at least re-release Quake like they just did Doom and Doom II. You actually can't play Quake officially on any console since the N64 and Saturn, and playing it well on modern PCs requires source ports.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
For Donkey Kong I'd honestly be super down for a Mario & Donkey Kong collection. They're bleeding Mario's 35th into 2021 as it is so they could use it as a bridge going from Mario All Stars in winter to Mario & DK All Stars in the spring/summer to new DKCR game in the fall

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Some Sonic anniversaries give you Generations, others give you 2006 and GBA Sonic 1
It could truly go either way.

Wow look, a big ol' 40 for DK, I can't wait for them to celebrate Mario's 36th instead!

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Pokemon will get the biggest.

Sonic, Dragon Quest, and Zelda should be pretty big ones, though.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
They're making MP4 almost as a make a good, even going as far as to openly say they fucked up and restarted development so I'm expecting something for the 35th anniversary of Metroid. I'm thinking a MP Trilogy announcement/release, maybe even something related to MP4 and hopefully that isn't expecting too much. It would dovetail nicely into a MP4 release next year for the 20th anniversary of Metroid Prime but who knows how far along the game actually is to match that.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is the year to release Prime Trilogy HD, Nintendo is supposedly sitting on it since 2019 or even earlier if we trust the rumors.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully in no way whatsoever.
More often than not those attempts to release games to coincide with anniversaries end up blow up in its face, making developers rush the game dev process for no particular reason, or we end up with unbaked products that coukld be much more if they invested more time.

Publishers, don't waste your time or even mine trying to get something at time that is just underwhelming, ok? Just give me a t-shirt/wallpaper and I'm good.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully in no way whatsoever.
More often than not those attempts to release games to coincide with anniversaries end up blow up in its face, making developers rush the game dev process for no particular reason, or we end up with unbaked products that coukld be much more if they invested more time.

Publishers, don't waste your time or even mine trying to get something at time that is just underwhelming, ok? Just give me a t-shirt/wallpaper and I'm good.

That's fair, but you don't know when they started working on it, if they started at all. Maybe it was planned properly to launch on the anniversary with enough developing time.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost a lock that Halo Infinite will launch on the 20th anniversary of CE.

and if it's not a lock then Microsoft I have some ideas, but I don't work for free. Please feel free to reach out to me for my resume.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon is poised for a big year with New Pokémon Snap, Pokémon Unite, Pokémon SLEEP, and probably the DPP remakes. I'm sure there's some other stuff mixed in there as well.

Other franchises coincidentally have games coming out next year, but I'm not sure what constitutes "celebrating an anniversary". I immediately think of old games being re-released or some event being held. Most of the time the anniversary is used as marketing for a new game and not the reason a game was put into production.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
super smash brothers melee turns 20 this year

nintendo will do fuck all to celebrate

the community will continue to play the game in record numbers and with record high prize pools

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Dragon Quest IV-VI on Switch, XII teaser
Pikmin 4 will be announced near the end of the year (I believe!)
Super Mario RPG on NSO
Viva Pinata stays dead

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I would love a Golden Sun project or anything really, but I'm assuming Camelot are still locked in the Mario Sports dungeon.
They haven't posted an update on their site since Mario Tennis Aces launched two and a half years ago

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
Brasília
After look for that list, this is how I feel:

kisspng-donkey-kong-country-3-dixie-kong-s-double-trouble-donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-5b48a2894ce964.048219611531486857315.jpg

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how many plans COVID might have derailed
Bingo.

Crash 4 just came out so I assume that fills Crash's birthday

Pokemon might rival the 20th and have something for the Summer Games if the pandemic is leveled off enough.

Resident Evil has VILLAGE so that's that, you can already get almost all the games on the storefronts I think, maybe not Switch with RE3Make

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Based on Mario Galaxy impressions, Skyward Sword HD would have a tough time being as precise as the Wii version without some kind of accessory. Joycon emulating a Wiimote kinda works, but it is no way as good as a real Wiimote, not even talking about WiiMotion+.

If they remove motion controls, they kill this game. I'd rather want Nintendo to celebrate Zelda's anniversary in other ways.
If anything Skyward Sword should be easier to emulate, not harder. The issue with Galaxy is that it was mapping the IR pointer to gesture controls. It's a very different input method being mapped to a feature not designed around it. The JoyCon motion controls are effectively the same input method as the Motion+, only much more accurate, so it basically maps 1:1 and would require less re-calibration.

Last edited:

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Like what?, the mobile game?, kinda feels late already to announce a collection, at least if they want to launch the week of the anniversary.
Well the anniversary starts in March and will run for a year. I expect the collection to be announced later this year and come out before by March 2022.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
If you think that's crazy, just look at next year. Most of these franchises will have another anniversary in 2022! And 2023 will be even more stacked

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Pokémon, Zelda and RE fans will EAT. I have a pretty good feeling about Metroid, even if it's just announcements and no actual releases (but I do believe in the Metroid 5 rumors), I wish GoldenSun got something, especially since Camelot's last game has been 3 years ago, but I doubt we'll see any celebration. I also wish we got something DK related, but unless Nintendo takes the burden on themselves I doubt we'll see our favourite Ape this year in any meaningful way.

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
I would be really surprised if we didn't see anything about Zelda, Pokémon, or Donkey Kong. These are quite a lock imho. Especially Zelda.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Maybe in terms of the core nintendo fans, but I think casuals might gravitate more towards Pokemon.
BotW was a much bigger game than any Pokémon remake thus far (and actually every Pokémon game but RBG and GS, with who wins between it and S/S being an open question). It remains to be seen just how big BotW 2 ends up being, and how much the DP remake out-performs ORAS, but I wouldn't necessarily say casuals swinging any which way is a safe bet.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I 100% believe they had Super Mario 64 25th Anniversary Remake scheduled for 2021 (were it not for COVID). And 3D All-Stars was the back-up plan. So they've pushed that back another 4 or 5 years.

(It still could come, of course, and the argument works both ways for it coming so soon after the All-Stars port.)

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I 100% believe they had Super Mario 64 25th Anniversary Remake scheduled for 2021 (were it not for COVID). And 3D All-Stars was the back-up plan. So they've pushed that back another 4 or 5 years.

(It still could come, of course, and the argument works both ways for it coming so soon after the All-Stars port.)
Miyamoto doesn't agree.
www.nintendoenthusiast.com

Shigeru Miyamoto Has No Interest In Remaking Any 'Super Mario' Games

The legendary Nintendo developer talked about why he doesn't have an interest in remaking any of the past 'Super Mario' games.

Sep 14, 2019
Pokémon Go is going to be 5 years old already?

My goodness, it feels like it was just a year or two ago when it was all the rage.

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon Go is going to be 5 years old already?

My goodness, it feels like it was just a year or two ago when it was all the rage.
What's crazy is how well they have sustained momentum since release.

pokemon-go-worldwide-player-spending-by-year-2016-to-2020.jpg

This doesn't even account for the last two months of the year for 2020. Outside of its second year slump it has been remarkably steady.