• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Automagical

Jun 27, 2020
Going over some my favourite games this year and it so refreshing that a majority had great designs for their female leads/main cast.
Biggest stand out was Selene from Returnal, but I also appreciated that Rivet didn't going the way of Lola Bunny.

Don't get me wrong, there is still a long way to go, but I really hope the trend continues in 2022.

Any stands out for you this year?

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I noticed my girlfriend really loves and gravitates towards games with some solid female protags. I've been so thankful for the recent renaissance in female characters but a super awesome bonus side effect of it for me has been my girlfriend's discovery of her love for video games at 31.

They're not from this year I don't think, but she really loved Horizon, Control, and The Medium. She's excited to play AC Odyssey for Kassandra, too.

I just started playing Rift Apart and I just love Rivet and Kit.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
quUfw9f.png

Prime Minister Lidia Sobieska in Tekken 7

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Not quite the same lane, but i REALLY like Eidos Montreal's take on Gamora, kept her in her default outfit and much prefer her characterization in every way to the MCU version

3897039-marvel%27sguardiansofthegalaxy2021-10-2113-39-15.jpg

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
And then you sadly have Dolores from KoF XV who, when leaked, seemed like a great design until we saw her "pants"… way to ruin a nice design, SNK.
character_dolores.png

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Alex Chen (Life Is Strange: True Colors) obviously needs to be mentioned here. And Steph (in the background) as well.

21060.jpg

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sable_Sliding.jpg

Sable, has great female and non-binary character design. Very gender neutral. Lots of customisation with the clothes and masks.
Wyrm-Mask-and-Wyrm-Sable.jpg

I made a post about this in the megathread:
Just wanted to give some love to Sable with a hijabi-coded protagonist, one of the side-characters being non-binary (Hilal), and women in all kinds of positions and with subtle complexity. Pretty cool to see all the Arabic influences and unlike Dune, be part of the nomad tribe rather than the colonisers. For a second, I didn't realise Sizo was a woman with her build along with cartographer Niaz. It was hard to say goodbye to grandma-like Jadi and the title drop timed with the song is probably the best from this year.

HngVRgO.png

5Hge0pZ.jpg

E3WeW-iXwAA0Td2

qzutKTz.png

fr5VgK2.png

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Just a reminder that some good folks who are no longer at Insomniac had to fight tooth-&-nail against the toxic & sexist work culture of the company to not have Rivet be overly sexualized.
www.resetera.com

Former Insomniac dev: Rivet in R&C Rift Apart almost had noticeable breasts and wider hips to be more feminine-looking Sony

Had to make a thread as we need more spotlight on shit and not just have it get drowned in pre-existing threads. Read the one about their awful treatment of women here. This was just posted yesterday by a former employee of Insomniac going by Xavier, and he goes into quite a bit of detail about...

Not quite the same lane, but i REALLY like Eidos Montreal's take on Gamora, kept her in her default outfit and much prefer her characterization in every way to the MCU version

It's actually based heavily on her Bendis design that's more commonly used in Marvel games these days. More comic-accurate versions of the armor exist as Gamora's default in MUA3 as well as MvCI.

latest

But yeah, I really love her character & design in the Eidos Montreal game. Same for the other Guardians.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They're alright, but all but a couple of them are young and conventionally attractive. We still have a long way to go.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
E6YjaJG.jpg

Rivet is great, easily my favorite character in 2021, Insomniac did a good job with her design and characterization. I like Ratchet, but I would love for Rivet to become the main character with her own adventures going forward.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I love the design for Meredith. Yes a simple postal worker but still. She just blends in with her setting seamlessly.

lake_1920x1080_titled.png

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Life is Strange: True Colors

Life Is Strange: True Colors

That's the main character from Life is Strange: True Colors

Life is Colorful: Truly Strange

but yeah Alex has a great and striking design

This is why it's never a good idea to just post a screenshot of a game without mentioning what it is.

Literally a fourth of the posts in this thread are people answering the same question lol

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017

This was the first design I thought of. From what I've unlocked of her other outfits, none of those are overtly sexualized, either. No gratuitous camera angles for Gamora anywhere in the game from what I recall, either. Just a great, respectful characterization all around.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Just a reminder that some good folks who are no longer at Insomniac had to fight tooth-&-nail against the toxic & sexist work culture of the company to not have Rivet be overly sexualized.
www.resetera.com

Former Insomniac dev: Rivet in R&C Rift Apart almost had noticeable breasts and wider hips to be more feminine-looking Sony

Had to make a thread as we need more spotlight on shit and not just have it get drowned in pre-existing threads. Read the one about their awful treatment of women here. This was just posted yesterday by a former employee of Insomniac going by Xavier, and he goes into quite a bit of detail about...

It's actually based heavily on her Bendis design that's more commonly used in Marvel games these days. More comic-accurate versions of the armor exist as Gamora's default in MUA3 as well as MvCI.

latest

But yeah, I really love her character & design in the Eidos Montreal game. Same for the other Guardians.

I never really liked the Marvel NOW! Designs but Eidos's is a nice mix of both the modern comics and the MCU.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
I love all of your picks and I'd throw Kena in there as well. Playing that game now and she is beautifully animated which sells her character design even better.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I have been impressed with the specificity of female character designs this year. I think Resident Evil Village also deserves a nod, if only for its range -- from the extremely dramatic with Lady Dimitrescu to more grounded new mom vibes of Mia.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shoka from NEO TWEWY is my favorite character of the year and has my fav design.

latest

She looks so damn cool.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
User Banned (2 Months): Concern trolling around Muslim representation
Sable_Sliding.jpg

Sable, has great female and non-binary character design. Very gender neutral. Lots of customisation with the clothes and masks.
Wyrm-Mask-and-Wyrm-Sable.jpg

I made a post about this in the megathread:

I feel kind of conflicted about this. The hijab is absolutely a product of patriarchy so to present it as a positive especially in a feminist context feels distasteful. Sure women in the western world can choose to wear the hijab but let's not pretend this is a choice made in a vacuum.

With that said though, I don't have a problem with character designs like this if it helps serves as representation for Muslim girls and women. They ought to be feel seen even if they do suffer under a patriarchal culture.

Bonus points for pissing off alt-right and conservative dipshits too.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rivet is the only one that stands out to me. Most of the others look like generic designs that are applauded for not being sexualized. They do deserve to be applauded for not being sexualized, but not necessarily for being great character designs.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I feel kind of conflicted about this. The hijab is absolutely a product of patriarchy so to present it as a positive especially in a feminist context feels distasteful. Sure women in the western world can choose to wear the hijab but let's not pretend this is a choice made in a vacuum.

With that said though, I don't have a problem with character designs like this if it helps serves as representation for Muslim girls and women. They ought to be feel seen even if they do suffer under a patriarchal culture.

Ehh this is discounting hijabi progressives and feminists. If you are saying hijab is a product of patriarchy, surely that can go for any piece of clothing designed for women. Bras, skirts, bikinis, tops, they're usually designed by men. And often for the male gaze. It's just often hijab is singled out and patronised (usually by white men) as a piece of female clothing placed outside of feminism. Women in general, not just Muslim women, live in patriarchal cultures.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
A shoutout to Sam, Alva, and Isabel from the indie Action-Adventure game Eastward. In a game where the cast is oozing with character and personality (even silent protagonist John leaves a strong impression), you also have some of the coolest female characters that leave a strong impression long after you complete the game. I would list more, but I would do a great disservice for you to not check out this lovely little game.

Sam_Early_Art.png

Alva_Early_Art.png

Isabel_Early_Art.png

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

man i don't even know where to begin with this one lol

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019

I don't think this is a fair generalization to make, and it's shitty to not trust women who wear a hijab that they are doing it because they genuinely want to.

Jun 24, 2021

then you see something like this....

Ángel is the most prominent Mexican woman to ever be featured in a videogame and makes me feel represented. She even has "soccer" in her bio under "likes". We've had our small share of Mexican men in videogames but never women so say what you will about her outfit but in Mexico we absolutely love her.

Jun 24, 2021
This is next year but i love this design

I applaud that she's not sexualized and that she's a woman of color in the lead of a AAA Japanese videogame but that doesn't mean it's automatically a good design. It's forgettable and boring. As iconic as the outfit that guy from Watch Dogs 1 was wearing that Ubisoft was trying to say it was "iconic".