• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 24, 2018
Geez. The guy said he would have withdrawn were it not the grand slams. I know people don't like him, but nothing about what he said sounded like a lie to me. To me it looked like he wasn't 100%. Perhaps the injury is not as bad as he thought it was, but to say he's completely faking it all doesn't seem right either.
This is so hypocritical. Nadal has gone his entire career playing up injuries (and playing down his chances at practically every tournament). This very slam he has been saying that he has a back injury that apparently prevented him from practicing, when nothing of the sort has been evident. But fans let him get away with it for whatever reason.
You two should be careful. The over the top disrespect and vitriol Novak garners here is pretty astounding. I understand that there are reasons why many don't like him, which is fine, but it's still over the top imo. Just look at the covid jokes in this thread for evidence of that while the pandemic is still going on. Also, English isn't Novak's first language - perhaps a muscle pull and tear were synonymous in his mind at that moment. Or perhaps he truly did believe he had a tear at that time as a fearful reaction to a clear injury. He was just saying what he thought in the moment after a match at the time.

Anyone who thinks that he's faking an injury clearly didn't watch the 3rd/4th set with Fritz, or parts of the second and third set with a Raonic, where he often didn't even attempt to a put a racket on the out wide serves - that is very clearly out of character for his game. Clearly in the Fritz match, he recovered enough by the fifth set, and clearly in the Raonic match in the 3rd/4th set, he was able to return a lot better than other portions of the match.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I love how you have such vitriol for Roddick only because he didn't win as much as he "should" have, but Novax's objectively terrible and negligent behavior is met with just a "well, that's just your opinion, guys."

Apr 24, 2018
I love how you have such vitriol for Roddick only because he didn't win as much as he "should" have, but Novax's objectively terrible and negligent behavior is met with just a "well, that's just your opinion, guys."
No I stated there are valid reasons to dislike him. I just think mocking his name with covid is terrible, as well as insinuating faking an injury, just because you don't like him. Roddick always had a big mouth, and I remember him calling out Novak back then with these comments. HIs mouth was why I never liked him and admittedly these comments made me mad back then as well as now. In my opinion, Roddick was a wasted talent. If he could have ever developed a decent return game, he would have won more than the one slam.

I actually do like Roddick as an analyst, though. He's a funny guy.

EDIT: I also don't think you should talk trash about your opponents in a disrespectful way to the press - all the more so if it's one that you can't beat. Just looks like sour grapes.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Roddick was always dickhead. Salty and fuming post losses, lashing out. Sometimes it was funny but mostly it was exhausting. He wasn't wrong about Djokovic, though. I thought the same things nearly every match I watched him play when he was against top players. Behind? Time for an extended break while something seems needing to be massaged out when there were zero signs of it beforehand? Yep, checks out.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Djokovic gets the brunt of backlash because he is accused of doing it more often and doesn't wilt under pressure against Federer and Nadal who are media darlings.

What about well-timed bathroom break Federer took against Davydenko at the Australian Open? Federer even admitted that he did it because he was getting his ass kicked. Anyone remember that? Of course not.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I do remember that, actually. I thought it was a shitty thing to do. And it's the only time I can ever remember him doing it...which is why it sticks out to me. I might have missed more, idk.

Well timed breaks because you were about to collapse under said pressure sure seems like wilting to me. Does it take away from the fact that he's one of the absolute best to ever play the sport? Not really. He'll go down a legend. I just don't like him personally because his choices on and off the court.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see Djocovid fans coming out of the shadows, huh.

Imagine coming to HIS defense.The anti-vaxxer, the one who risks peoples lives during a pandemic for his own personal gain (you'd think these 2 reasons would be enough to not defend him), the one who acts like a barbaric fool during and after his matches, the one who gained a reputation for abusing medical timeouts, the one who explodes at fans in xrated rants lacking any form of class whatsoever....list goes on and on with him.
It should be against the rules to defend an anti-vaxxer POS regardless how skilled he is. Which Djocovid is.

Anarkin

Oct 27, 2017
So I watched all the Iga matches and she is shaking her head all the time now. The commentator noticed it too during the match. You can see it also in her latest press conference:

I looked up her interviews from last year at the french open and she wasnt doing it at all. Anyone know what it could be? I hope she is ok.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Re: Igas head shake it could be a tick. I've been dealing with ticks since I was 4 and when one goes away another generally will start up. I've had eye blinking ticks, head shaking ticks, mouth movement ticks, and at one point I had a vocal tick and it was the most embarrasing of them all.

Where did this Djocovid nic name come from?

Novaxx Djocovid was a nickname he earned when stating he would not take the covid vaccine. Then he hosted the Adria tour with full fan capacity the middle of last year which became a super spreader event where tons of players and fans including himself contracted Covid19

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Also it was odd Swiatek drank a cup of coffee in the third set against Halep. I'm sure there are better caffeine supplements out there for athletes

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I see Djocovid fans coming out of the shadows, huh.

Imagine coming to HIS defense.The anti-vaxxer, the one who risks peoples lives during a pandemic for his own personal gain (you'd think these 2 reasons would be enough to not defend him), the one who acts like a barbaric fool during and after his matches, the one who gained a reputation for abusing medical timeouts, the one who explodes at fans in xrated rants lacking any form of class whatsoever....list goes on and on with him.
It should be against the rules to defend an anti-vaxxer POS regardless how skilled he is. Which Djocovid is.

I certainly won't defend the pandemic incidents or vaccine comments, but everything else is just a reason not to dislike him. Yes, he can get hot and has a temper at times. At least Djokovic has not ever gotten physically aggressive with another player to try to intimidate him when he was losing, unlike Nadal.

giphy.gif

And one of my favorites: Federer just littering the court with his trash because he's in a pissy mood:

giphy.gif

But yeah, everyone is a saint and Djokovic is the lone wolf out here.

Last edited:

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, Federer, that damn litterer. Try throwing your trash at a line judge next time (if they ever come back).

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah littering on a tennis court is totally comparable to what Novak has got up to. Assaulting an official (even if unintentionally), spreading anti vaxx misinformation, running a COVID superspreader event and let's not forget his history of making sexist comments as well.

Yeah let's defend that guy.

Just look at the covid jokes in this thread for evidence of that while the pandemic is still going on.

Yeah how dare people make light of such a serious pandemic. Meanwhile Novak intentionally held a COVID super spreader event (spreading it to his family no less) whilst espousing anto

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Great stuff from Pegula to knock out Svitolina. Pegula's father is a multi billionaire that owns an NFL and NHL franchise, so it's impressive she has motivated herself to become a world class athlete while growing up with so much privilege

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
This is so hypocritical. Nadal has gone his entire career playing up injuries (and playing down his chances at practically every tournament). This very slam he has been saying that he has a back injury that apparently prevented him from practicing, when nothing of the sort has been evident. But fans let him get away with it for whatever reason.

Nadal service is ample proof of a back problem. His service speeds are way down.

Apr 24, 2018
Yeah littering on a tennis court is totally comparable to what Novak has got up to. Assaulting an official (even if unintentionally), spreading anti vaxx misinformation, running a COVID superspreader event and let's not forget his history of making sexist comments as well.

Yeah let's defend that guy.

Yeah how dare people make light of such a serious pandemic. Meanwhile Novak intentionally held a COVID super spreader event (spreading it to his family no less) whilst espousing anto
Don't misconstrue me - There's obviously no defending some of the things such as the Adria tour, obviously. It was absolutely moronic, and I felt that way when it was first announced. Classic case of just because you can doesn't mean you should. The no vaccination stance immediately got a huge face palm from me, as well when that news first came out. I'm not aware of him spreading anti-vax misinformation, but if that's true, it's an incredibly irresponsible and shitty thing to do.

You listed several absolutely valid reasons why people can dislike him which I have no argument with - they're all factual things. He absolutely deserved to get defaulted for the incident with the line judge under the rule and he accordingly was. I still find it in poor taste to make fun of someone related to covid, especially after they've contracted it, and I'd say this about any person regardless of the circumstances. I know two people that have passed away from covid and think it's just in incredibly bad taste, that's all.

Apr 24, 2018
Anyways, getting back to the actual tennis - I think this is now Medvedev's title to lose. Really looking forward to his match with Rafa, if it comes to pass!

Apr 24, 2018
Also absolutely insane what Karatsev has done this tournament. 3 tour level wins on his career before the AO and he has 4 wins in the slam. It's THE story of this tournament so far. While I think Dimitrov is a step up in caliber opponent compared to his previous opponents, what Karatsev did to Diego was completely mind boggling. If by some absolute insane miracle Karatsev wins this whole thing (I know there's no real chance), he'll replace Gaston Gaudio as the most unlikely grand slam champion that I've ever seen.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Yeah, Federer, that damn litterer. Try throwing your trash at a line judge next time (if they ever come back).

Do you remember this? Of course not. But I do. Federer discarded a ball in disgust after he missed a first serve and nailed a ball boy. But it was all shits and giggles because it was Roger Federer. Was he disqualified? Of course not. Because, once again, it was Roger fucking Federer. Or maybe it's an honor to be nailed by a ball when Federer hits it? I dunno *shrugs*

And people will defend it because...it's Roger fucking Federer. Federer laughed, so it was funny!

giphy.gif

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
What are y'all thoughts on rooting for a billionaire's daughter? Never even knew that until today.
I'm not even somebody who is anti-billionaire per se, but I don't ever se myself not rooting for her opponent.

OP
OP
EvilChameleon

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
What are y'all thoughts on rooting for a billionaire's daughter? Never even knew that until today.
I'm not even somebody who is anti-billionaire per se, but I don't ever se myself not rooting for her opponent.

All of these tennis players are well off. Not rooting for one or rooting against one because they or their families are rich is silly, considering that comes with the territory of being a tennis player.

We're talking about people who were let into Australia just to play a silly game for two weeks. The very definition of privilege.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
MIMIC Are you really using whataboutism to defend Djokovic? C'mon man.

Other than the Williams sisters, pretty much all American tennis players are rich kids.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
All of these tennis players are well off. Not rooting for one or rooting against one because they or their families are rich is silly, considering that comes with the territory of being a tennis player.

We're talking about people who were let into Australia just to play a silly game for two weeks. The very definition of privilege.

I'd certainly argue against the fact that every tennis player here is well off. Especially some of the younger ones. In fact, players ranked outside the top 100 often live very meagerly.
I just have trouble rooting for someone who has had the maximum privilege in life. I'd rather the glory go to someone else. Nothing against her.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Back when Gulbis was on tour, no one really knocked him for coming from a family of wealth. It's tennis, it's a country club sport at its roots, so there are always going to be players coming form rich and mega-rich families.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Rublev cruising. Looks like it will be an all-Russian quarterfinals with him v. Medvedev. That could be a long match

edit: Ruud retired after losing the 2nd set in a tiebreak. Rublev v. Medvedev QF locked in

Apr 24, 2018
Fognini actually played pretty well in that second set after a poor first set, but Rafa was just too good. Expecting Nadal to cruise the rest of the way, now. Assuming Rafa wins, and gets by the Tsitsipas/Berrettini winner, I'm really looking forward to the match with Medvedev or Rublev in the semis. Rublev may actually be the most talented of the upcoming gen, but he hasn't made any noise against the Big 3 in a major yet, unlike both Tsitsipas and Medvedev.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017

Ernests Gulbis' dad is a billionaire and he's still one of my favorite players. He was a serious up and comer about 6 or 7 years ago.

Edit: lol beaten

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Berrettini has withdrawn from his match scheduled later today with an abdominal injury too (Tsitsipas has a walkover to the QF). That's now 4 players on the men's side facing similar issues (Busta, Djokovic, Ruud and Berrettini). Raonic had a foot injury, and Thiem too I think (just guessing because he wouldn't specify), while Nadal is fielding back issues (but he mentioned a new treatment he was getting after the second round was making that way better for him).

Definitely the most injury-ridden slam in ages (I think the last one I really remember was USO 2017 where a ton of top seeds didn't even show up and Nadal had to only play seeds 24 and 28 for the title).

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (permanent): Cross forum drama. Stalking. Harassment.
mod edit: removed off-site content

Last edited by a moderator:

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
mod edit: removed off-site content

2f0frl9pidm51jwjp0.jpg

got dayum

So uhh...anyways...anyone got predictions for the finals at this point? For the mens my heart says Medvedev/Dimitrov but my brain tells me to never bet against the Big 3 so it'll be Joke-covid/Nadal. For women's I'll be conservative and say Barty/Osaka. I like Osaka but it would be great to see Barty win in Australia

Last edited by a moderator: