• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Limited series doesn't really have a defined meaning. It's just a vague thing networks say

When I hear it, I think of something like Chernobyl, where it's a short one-season series, that goes to tell a full story, and they're done. At least, every other series I've watched with that title, did wrap up and end within that 1 season.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
When I hear it, I think of something like Chernobyl, where it's a short one-season series, that goes to tell a full story, and they're done. At least, every other series I've watched with that title, did wrap up and end within that 1 season.

Exactly. Like The Queen's Gambit, Brand New Cherry Flavor, Maniac, Band of Brothers, etc. That's what I understand when they say limited series or miniseries.

It got renewed? I thought it was considered a "limited series"?

If I remember correctly The White Lotus was supposed to be a limited series, but with its success they decided to continue with a somewhat unrelated second season, transforming it into an anthology show.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Never forget that Watchmen was a limited series but HBO still tried to bring it back for another season but Lindelof didn't bite. Every limited series is only so unless networks think they can make money if it keeps going.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
If I remember correctly The White Lotus was supposed to be a limited series, but with its success they decided to continue with a somewhat unrelated second season, transforming it into an anthology show.

That's kind of what I figured, and I don't mind. It's one of those stories that COULD continue, at least as an anthology. I didn't check it out until after it ended and a friend was over and wanted to re-watch it, and I remembered all the chatter when it ended on here. I'm def down for more, though.

Never forget that Watchmen was a limited series but HBO still tried to bring it back for another season but Lindelof didn't bite. Every limited series is only so unless networks think they can make money if it keeps going.

Ok, I thought I remember hearing something about a potential S2 for that (series is still on my backlog...) but glad that creators like that will end it when it's over. Would be nice if some shows didn't overstay their welcome, and ended when it was proper to do so.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

Man this show looks soooo canceled. Why do showrunners still pitch scifi to NBC and then proceed to never make story that works as a standalone season?

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017

Man this show looks soooo canceled. Why do showrunners still pitch scifi to NBC and then proceed to never make story that works as a standalone season?

The hope that their story will breakthrough and last multiple seasons perhaps. La Brea doesn't appear to be hard sci-fi, more survival aspects so maybe they think it reaches a bigger audience than something like Debris (gone too soon :( ).

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, I think La Brea might just be Land of the Lost.

The setting, of course.
The signs of other humans having been here, some notably from the past.
The handprints, particularly how there seems to be two different types.
Potential timey-wimey-ness.
Was that a Pylon at the end?

tvline.com

The Outpost Cancelled After 4 Seasons; Series Finale to Air in October

Talon's journey is coming to an end on The CW with the series finale of 'The Outpost,' airing Thursday, Oct. 7 at 9/8c.
Nooooo...I mean I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did but still.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
tvline.com

The Outpost Cancelled After 4 Seasons; Series Finale to Air in October

Talon's journey is coming to an end on The CW with the series finale of 'The Outpost,' airing Thursday, Oct. 7 at 9/8c.

Never have watched it, but have always intended to. As long as it gets the finish (story arc) as originally designed, I would like to go through it.

But I'm guessing as since the current season is airing, it probably will end abruptly. Too bad it couldn't have at least been renewed for one final season.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Why Netflix Really Saved ‘Manifest’ (It Wasn’t the Tweets)

Inside the streamer's decision to salvage the surprise summer sensation — and how the move from NBC to Netflix will change season four.

Netflix reveals to The Hollywood Reporter that 25 million accounts in the U.S. and Canada watched the show within its first 28 days of streaming. Moreover, Manifest relentlessly stuck around in the service's Top 10 for 71 days since its debut and was No. 1 in the U.S. for 19 days. The show's completion rate — a figure Netflix guards closely — was likewise very strong and boded well for a potential worldwide expansion (much has been made of NBC versus Netflix Manifest viewing numbers, but from Netflix's perspective, this summer is bit like preview of what the show could look like across 190 countries and four seasons). "We definitely saw the audience stayed with the show," Bajaria says.
when the series returns, it won't be a simultaneous premiere:
A deal for a 20-episode final season struck ("When the official call came, I'm pretty sure I broke into a happy dance," Rake says), though some of the finer points are still being worked out. The season likely will be split into two parts, with the first probably airing in late 2022. The international territories conflict is being solved with a combination of tactics: Some foreign rights are being bought back while others are being waited out — the new episodes will not debut globally all at once but will have a staggered rollout, with some territories getting the show a little later than others.

The show's stars are on board, but not all actor deals are done (Matt Long, for instance, has a conflict, starring in the NBC drama pilot Getaway, but has indicated that he should be back for "some" of season four).

The production also is angling for a significant budget boost that one source says is "well north" of the show's previously reported $4 million to $5 million per-episode price tag. "It will be an increased budget," Bajaria says. "We want them to have a good budget that feels creatively fulfilling, but it's not finalized yet."

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017

Seriously.

Looks like a fun show, but what is even the point in getting excited for it. Not going to get into it unless I know it's at least getting a second season.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tvline.com

Emily Deschanel Will Battle a Cult in Netflix Limited Series Devil in Ohio

Emily Deschanel's world is about to be turned upside down, no bones about it.

The actress, who recently followed up her 12-season run on Bones with a buzzy arc on Animal Kingdom, will lead the cast of Netflix's limited thriller series Devil in Ohio. Production on the eight-episode project is currently underway in Vancouver.

"When hospital psychiatrist Dr. Suzanne Mathis (Deschanel) shelters a mysterious cult escapee, her world is turned upside down as the strange girl's arrival threatens to tear her own family apart," per the official logline.

Along with Deschanel, the cast includes Sam Jaeger (Parenthood) as Peter, Gerardo Celasco (How to Get Away With Murder) as Detective Lopez, Madeleine Arthur (TNT's Snowpiercer) as Mae, Xaria Dotson (American Vandal) as Jules, Alisha Newton (Heartland) as Helen and Naomi Tan (Wednesday) as Dani.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

‘Drop Dead Diva’ Reboot ‘Drop Dead Dave’ In Works At CBS From Josh Berman; Jamie Babbit To Direct

Drop Dead Diva creator/executive producer Josh Berman is taking a different, gender-related spin on the body swap genre with Drop Dead Dave.
EXCLUSIVE: Drop Dead Diva creator/executive producer Josh Berman is taking a different, gender-related spin on the body-swap genre with Drop Dead Dave, an hourlong series in development at CBS. A reboot of the hit Lifetime dramedy with all new characters, Drop Dead Dave hails from Berman's Osprey Productions, former Drop Dead Diva director-producer Jamie Babbit and Drop Dead Diva studio Sony Pictures Television, where Osprey Prods. has an overall deal.

In Drop Dead Dave, written by Berman and to be directed by Babbit, when shallow, entitled, Gen Z lawyer Dave dies in a freak accident, his soul is transferred into the body of Rita, a successful but complicated Gen X attorney, forcing Dave to live as a woman and navigate an entirely new perspective on life, love and identity.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
did we have a date for The Movies That Made Us Season 3? because it's October 12th

bloody-disgusting.com

Season 3 of Netflix’s “The Movies That Made Us” Will Spotlight ‘Nightmare on Elm Street’ and ‘Friday the 13th’

The first two seasons of Netflix’s mini-doc series “The Movies That Made Us” went behind the scenes of classics including Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Home Alone, Ghostbusters, and Die Hard, and we’ve learned today that the upcoming third season is going to be a horror-heavy offering...

movies covered are Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Aliens, Robocop and Coming to America, pretty stacked.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
did we have a date for The Movies That Made Us Season 3? because it's October 12th

bloody-disgusting.com

Season 3 of Netflix’s “The Movies That Made Us” Will Spotlight ‘Nightmare on Elm Street’ and ‘Friday the 13th’

The first two seasons of Netflix’s mini-doc series “The Movies That Made Us” went behind the scenes of classics including Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Home Alone, Ghostbusters, and Die Hard, and we’ve learned today that the upcoming third season is going to be a horror-heavy offering...

movies covered are Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Aliens, Robocop and Coming to America, pretty stacked.

Nice! I knew they were doing a Nightmare ep, and some were wondering if they would do another holiday-based one, and guess they kinda are!

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mandy Patinkin to star in Knives Out 'Career Opportunities in Murder and Mayhem'
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Mandy Patinkin to Star in Hulu Detective Drama From ‘Stumptown’ Duo

'Career Opportunities in Murder and Mayhem' will be directed by Marc Webb.
The Disney-backed streamer has handed out a pilot order for drama Career Opportunities in Murder and Mayhem and tapped Homeland alum Mandy Patinkin to lead the cast.

Here's how Hulu describes the potential series: "How do you solve a murder in a post-fact world? Especially when sailing the Mediterranean on an ocean liner filled with the wealthy and powerful. Everyone on board is hiding something… but is one of them a killer? That's what the World's Once Greatest Detective, Rufus Cotesworth, and his protégée aim to discover. The truth at all cost."

Patinkin will take on the role of Rufus. The cast also includes Violett Beane (God Friended Me, The Flash), Lauren Patten (Broadway's Jagged Little Pill, Succession), Hugo Diego Garcia, Angela Zhou and Rahul Kohli.

Stumptown duo Mike Weiss and Heidi Cole McAdams will pen the script, exec produce and serve as showrunners on the drama. Marc Webb will exec produce the pilot and direct via his Black Lamb banner.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Watched Scenes from a Marriage the other day and really enjoyed it. Amazing acting. Reminded me of Malcom & Marie from last year, so it's definitely not for everyone.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Watched Scenes from a Marriage the other day and really enjoyed it. Amazing acting. Reminded me of Malcom & Marie from last year, so it's definitely not for everyone.
I personally thought it was boring and I also didn't buy Oscar Isaac or Jessica Chastain either as their characters or as a couple. The BTS set up makes me think that maybe it's intentional though...?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I personally thought it was boring and I also didn't buy Oscar Isaac or Jessica Chastain either as their characters or as a couple. The BTS set up makes me think that maybe it's intentional though...?
It's definitely a strange setup. I also didn't really buy them as a couple...but I think that adds to the relationship issues they are having. I have no idea where the show is going and no knowledge of the original source though. I just liked the actual script/content

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Very interesting.

www.avclub.com

Netflix sued by chess icon over a line in The Queen's Gambit

Netflix has been decked by a $5 million lawsuit for defamation involving one line in the finale of The Queen’s Gambit. The suit has been filed by chess extraordinaire Nona Gaprindashvili, who claims Netflix knowingly said falsehoods about her in the show.
The line in question is spoken during the miniseries' finale, "End Game," in which Beth competes in a high stakes competition in Moscow. "The only unusual thing about her, really, is her sex, and even that's not unique in Russia," a commentator quips during a match. "There's Nona Gaprindashvili, but she's the female world champion and has never faced men." In particular, the last part about never playing against men that really rubs Gaprindashvili the wrong way.
"Gaprindashvili is a pioneer of women's chess and a much-loved icon in her native country of Georgia," the 25-page suit states. "Throughout her extraordinary career, she won many championships, beat some of the best male chess players in the world, and was the first woman in history to achieve the status of international chess grandmaster among men."

While Beth Harmon is purely a fictional character, Gaprindashvili is very much a real woman, who broke barriers in the chess world during the '60s. The Georgia-born world champion, now 80 years old, was the women's world chess champion from 1978. In 1978, she was awarded the title Grandmaster.
Gaprindashvili claims she first went to Netflix after the show aired in 2020, asking them to acknowledge the statement was false, offer an apology, and retract the line. She says she was met with "extraordinary hubris," and Netflix dismissed her claim as "innocuous." Following today's suit filing, Netflix did not have too much to say.

"Netflix has only the utmost respect for Ms. Gaprindashvili and her illustrious career, but we believe this claim has no merit and will vigorously defend the case," a spokesperson told Deadline.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
ah, I agree that Season 2 wasnt as good as S1, still enjoyed it tho.
hard disagree. The show really hit its stride in season two. Miles better than the first which I saw having loved it. Although season three hasn't really popped off yet this most recent episode was fantastic and I think it'll hit its stride again over the next couple episodes

HBO set to have a big October

Succession-season-3-key-art.jpg

The amount of characters left off the poster is weird but still hyped.
I mean it's all the family so I get why others were left off. Best show on TV can't wait for the return

Also, hope this website is ok, but season 3 also wrapped last month.
Had no idea they'd even renewed for season 3 already. Pretty excited for season 2. I hope they lean more into the keys though. There was some pretty cool conceits they could have explored with them but didn't much. Fun show regardless though
Fucking HBO man, they just can't do anything wrong lately lol. I'm very curious to see how White incorporates previous guests into the new season. I fully expect it to work beautifully however he does it

Status
Not open for further replies.