• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I didn't see a similar thread but lock if done already. I guess "guilty pleasure" would be a better way to phrase it, but that would imply we need to feel guilt!

Basically, what's a game(s) from 2021 that everyone seemed to hate but you had a good time with? I've been noticing a lot of my casual friends have been vibing with a lot of games that got roasted to kingdom come here on ERA (Battlefielrd, GTA, etc) and I'm sure some people here have had fun with some fairly disliked games

For me, it's the Switch port of Apex Legends. It's ugly as hell, pop in and lag was a constant problem and it was so apparent that it's the inferior way to play the game that you'd have better luck playing the mobile version (and it looks nicer!). That said, this game is so fun for pick up and play sessions in handheld mode that I was able to deal with it for a few months. It was my go to multiplayer shooter this year for the first half of the year, I'd put something on the TV in the background and play a few matches before bed in handheld mode. I remember a lot of people talking about how it will OBVIOUSLY be improved on the Switch Pro. Anyway, it's trash… but it's MY trash

What's yours?

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Yeah, I enjoyed Cyberpunk a lot on PS5. However I didn't really go in expecting some GTA x Western RPG masterpiece. I just wanted an open world Deus Ex-like in a cool cyberpunk city and it largely succeeded with that. And I ended up liking the characters too.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
This may be off-base but any time I notice The Medium come up in the Game Pass thread it seems negative so Ill go with that.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood. Felt like an ordinary Xbox 360 game and I'm ok with that.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
BioMutant for me. Couldn't stand it myself during the protracted flashback intro sequence it launched with (i think they addressed this with a patch?), but once you got out to the open world it was catnip for me. Just loved aimlessly exploring around

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I thought the GTA remasters were pretty good. Some weird looking parts of course but overall I liked the way they looked and thought the attempts at "modernisation" such as the controls and checkpoints were handled well by not being too big to effect the game design. I understand why people were upset though as it's so, so far below the bar of quality Rockstar set for itself.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
GTA collection didn't piss me off as bad as it did for other folks.

Unlike Cyberpunk, there's actually very good games buried beneath the bugs and performance issues.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
BioMutant for me. Couldn't stand it myself during the protracted flashback intro sequence it launched with (I think they addressed this with a patch?), but once you got out to the open world it was catnip for me. Just loved aimlessly exploring around
Hmm...maybe I should hop back in this at some point. I took advantage of the price error when it launched but fell off it right as I got to the open world and didn't give it the attention it needed for that to grab me. Performance on my old PC wasn't great either so that was definitely part of it.

As for my game...I don't think I have one actually. I don't really remember playing a game that either came out this year or that I played this year that I thought was better than most people gave it credit for. *shrug* I guess maybe NSO + Expansion Pak? Everyone seems to hate it, but I have put more hours into Star Fox 64 since it released than I have entire other brand new games.

Edit: Also Outriders! I never got to the endgame so that might be why I find all the hate around it unnecessary. I just really enjoyed playing it and getting loot, wishing that my friend could play it with me because it would be amazing. It was super annoying that the servers barely worked when it released but the game itself is a blast. Even started playing it again on PC Game Pass now that it runs well after all the patches, bought it on PS5 at launch though.

Last edited:

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
Riders Republic. I feel like most of the criticism around it latched onto how lame the Xtreme/epic dudez tone/dialogue was. While that's absolutely correct, it's such a small part of the game that I found it easy to ignore. The rest of the game is basically my dream game and it mostly nails it in the gameplay/traversal aspects

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does Guardians of the Galaxy count? That's only for people that haven't played it though.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
Recompile!

People I talked to all hated it but I thought it was super fun. There's a moment near the end that I don't know if it is horrible game design or an incredibly clever subversion, but either way, it was my favorite single moment of the year.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Battlefield 2042 has improved massively since the Beta and the launch as well. I think a lot of people had their minds made up from the Beta, though, as the game is extremely fun in its current, imperfect state. If people are uninterested in giving it another try, then so be it, but I already enjoy it much more than my time spend with BF1 and BFV.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know if everyone 'roasted it', but I'm having fun with Far Cry 6. The map is freakishly big once again, but the gunplay is the best in the series and I'm having a good time just wandering the world and causing whatever chaos I can get up to.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Deathloop
I went in thinking it would be mediocre based on what some people here said and I'm glad my experience was different from theirs. The game is amazing so far

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
Guardians of the Galaxy and Deathloop share the title for me. Both of have gotten quite a bit of flak, for different reasons, but I adored both of these games. Can't decide which is GoTY for me personally.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if everyone 'roasted it', but I'm having fun with Far Cry 6. The map is freakishly big once again, but the gunplay is the best in the series and I'm having a good time just wandering the world and causing whatever chaos I can get up to.
Yeah I was gonna say this. It's definitely just "more Far Cry" and flawed in many ways, but I loved the setting and the gameplay was fun as always. Taking out an outpost with a silent sniper just never gets old lol

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I acknowledge how flawed and how much Rockstar screwed up, but I had some fun with GTA 3 Definitive Edition, it deserves all the flak, though.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Golf: Super Rush.

The story mode is half-baked at best and the Speed Golf turned out to be fairly lame but I like to boot it up, pick a character, and just relax while playing a course or two by myself. The free courses have all been good additions and I have been happy with my time with it.

CadobaDelta

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
I had a fun time with Outriders. The gameplay was shallow, but more than serviceable, and the lore was great. I even liked the story and most of the characters.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had a fun time with Outriders. The gameplay was shallow, but more than serviceable, and the lore was great. I even liked the story and most of the characters.
2a53b282aa768efc04b2f0f2ca35f001.png

Oh that's a good pick, had heaps of fun with Outriders, one of the best gear systems out there at the end game.

Bingle Bango

Sep 13, 2018
It seemed like people were pretty low on The Gunk. However, I am fairly high on The Gunk. In fact, I liked The Gunk quite a bit, and not just for having the best videogame title of 2021.

BlueBrand

Oct 28, 2017
Deathloop, I nearly didn't play it as everyone was saying it was not worth playing and that Arkane Studios has lost a step. But I remember hearing similar things when Prey came out and I loved that game. While this game does not hit the peaks that Prey did, I really did enjoy it. This was a stacked year, and it might even get into my top 10 this year.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Deathloop, I nearly didn't play it as everyone was saying it was not worth playing and that Arkane Studios has lost a step. But I remember hearing similar things when Prey came out and I loved that game. While this game does not hit the peaks that Prey did, I really did enjoy it. This was a stacked year, and it might even get into my top 10 this year.

I wouldn't say everyone roasted Deathloop when it has some of the most GOTY wins of any game this year.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Hell let Loose.
When it came to PS+ loads of people tried it and immediately wrote it off as a "walking simulator" without giving it a proper chance.
It was hard to learn, hard to master, but once it all clicked it was the most fun I had in a MP game this year.
And it has fantastic Dualsense features.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Cyberpunk is still glitchy AF. But it really has some of the best videogame characters of all time. Keanu as Silverhand just works. Judy is awesome. Takemura is badass. I'm like 70% through but waiting for that mega patch sometime in Feb or March to finish the game.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis

to be fair, its not really all that good lol but I still love it

Dec 13, 2018
The only game I played that could fall in this camp so far is cyberpunk 2077, though I haven't played much but what I did play was good

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I enjoyed Cyberpunk a lot. Just wished it was finished. And that my character didn't appear bald and clipping, T-posing through my car when going high speed.