• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What JRPG's are you most looking forward to next year?

• Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore

• Final Fantasy VII Remake

• Persona 5 Royal

• Yakuza: Like a Dragon

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just an observation but damn are there a lot of good looking JRPG's coming out next year.

Final Fantasy VII Remake, Persona 5 Royal, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, and there's probably something else I'm missing.

I don't know it just feels great to be really excited for a ton of games in my favorite genre again. Anyone else really excited?

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be lying if I said it wasn't FF7. That said I think Yakuza has a chance at being a dark horse favorite. P5R and #FE are enhanced ports for games that I've played so far less interested.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'll get Yakuza 7 and probably Xenoblade Definitive Edition (provided they don't recast Melia's VA).

Jury's out on whether FFVIIr is going to be worth playing until they finish the damn thing, and I have zero interest in replaying Persona 5 when I got bored halfway through it the first time.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I have a soft spot for Crystal Chronicles, and I'm oddly looking forward to that a whole lot.

Also looking forward to Tales of Arise and of course Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.

Langrisser Remake as a dark horse.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
If we happen to get Cold Steel IV next year, that will be my most anticipated.

Otherwise, FF7R.

Reveirg

Nov 20, 2017
Trials of Mana, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered, Dragon Ball Kakarot, Tales of Arise

Great titles upcoming but a lot of remasters.

I think this year was stronger so far with KH3, Shadowbringers, DQXI Switch, Persona Q2, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Fire Emblem TH, Astral Chain, Oninaki. And with Cold Steel III and Pokemon Sword/Shield still upcoming.

But there's still plenty of time for 2020 to get even more exciting!

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Don't remind me how much money I'm spending on JRPGs. I want all those. Crystal Chronicles is also early next year.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Do we get something for Tales of Arise from TGS?

And I'm pretty sure Granblue Fantasy Relink is 2020 too. Maybe Genshin Impact.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
Do we get something for Tales of Arise from TGS?
Yep, and I can't wait. Tales of is my favorite series.
arisestage-1024x536.png

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Let's see, I will definitely be getting Tokyo Mirage Sessions again. Then Persona 5 Royal will definitely be a pickup. The new Yakuza also looks like it's up my alley. I'll also definitely be picking up the Xenoblade definitive edition so I can play that game for the first time.

FF7 Remake... I'm honestly going to wait until we get more info on the 2nd one & how many games will it take for them to complete it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Super, super excited for Tales of Arise, Xenoblade DE, Yakuza 7 and FFVIIR for sure. Gonna be a great JRPG year.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Why you'd highlight ports over new games like Tales of Arise, Brigandine, Digimon Survive etc is a bit beyond me o.O

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Let's see, I will definitely be getting Tokyo Mirage Sessions again. Then Persona 5 Royal will definitely be a pickup. The new Yakuza also looks like it's up my alley. I'll also definitely be picking up the Xenoblade definitive edition so I can play that game for the first time.

FF7 Remake... I'm honestly going to wait until we get more info on the 2nd one & how many games will it take for them to complete it.

Yeah. The idea we could be waiting a decade or more to kick Sephiroth and the WEAPONs' asses just feels really silly to me. The original game didn't need that much expansion.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FF7 + Trails of Arise for me probably. I'll consider Persona 5R if they cut 30h of the padded content. Trials of Mana looks pretty good as well.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 Remake by a wide margin. Still looking forward to Yakuza 7, Persona 5 Royal and Xenoblade Chronicles as well.

I've been meaning to catch up on Trails as well and SMT V if it releases next year as well.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
FF7R, Y7, and Tales of Arise (If reviews are positive). Xenoblade DE can wait since I've already played the original.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Why? I'm super excited for all those games.

I am pretty excited too! I will be buying Yakuza, Persona, and FF and maybe even TMS if I can overlook that I have TMS on WIiU untouched. But like others have said these are mostly ports or remakes. I would hope to see a bit more new games.

Tales helps your case though!

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be one of the best years ever for JRPGs, and, yes, you forgot a bunch. I'm looking most forward to Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Granblue Fantasy Relink, Tales of Arise and Genshin Impact.

Isn't Tales of Arise getting any new info or a trailer on TGS?

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty excited too! I will be buying Yakuza, Persona, and FF and maybe even TMS if I can overlook that I have TMS on WIiU untouched. But like others have said these are mostly ports or remakes. I would hope to see a bit more new games.
I guess that's just a difference for me, I love these games so much that I really don't care if there ports. Especially when there adding new content which Royal is doing in spades.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's just a difference for me, I love these games so much that I really don't care if there ports. Especially when there adding new content which Royal is doing in spades.

I just can't imagine suffering through a Persona game twice. All the padding, all the repetitive cutscenes, all the wasted time.

If the Golden/Royal editions STREAMLINED the experience while ALSO adding new content it wouldn't be so bad, or if they let you import your save file, I might get it, but just "replay this whole fucking thing again from minute one" just sounds exhausting...

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Every coming year is the year of the JRPG. And then half the expected titles get delayed.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That seems like a really weak year all things considered.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just can't imagine suffering through a Persona game twice. All the padding, all the repetitive cutscenes, all the wasted time.

If the Golden/Royal editions STREAMLINED the experience while ALSO adding new content it wouldn't be so bad, or if they let you import your save file, I might get it, but just "replay this whole fucking thing again from minute one" just sounds exhausting...
I'm in the middle of a new game+ run of vanilla Persona 5. :D

I've probably beaten Persona 3 like four times and Persona 4 twice through all their various versions. I love this series so much.

Though if it makes you feel better the developers have said in interviews that P5R's pacing is being improved.