• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
nintendoeverything.com

2020 World Video Game Hall of Fame inductees announced

The Strong National Museum of Play today announced the final lineup for its 2020 inductees. Bejeweled, Centipede, King’s Quest, and Minecraft have all been selected. Back in March, the original twelve nominees were announced. Frogger, Goldeneye 007, Guitar Hero, NBA Jam, Nokia Snake, Super Smash...

The Strong National Museum of Play today announced the final lineup for its 2020 inductees. Bejeweled, Centipede, King's Quest, and Minecraft have all been selected.

Back in March, the original twelve nominees were announced. Frogger, Goldeneye 007, Guitar Hero, NBA Jam, Nokia Snake, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego were ultimately not chosen.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's been a crazy year so far, but I'm really proud of what our team put together this year. The games this year were incredible choices in my opinion, but these four rose to the top.

Edit: Here are the selection criteria for anyone interested:
  • Icon-status: the game is widely recognized and remembered.
  • Longevity: the game is more than a passing fad and has enjoyed popularity over time.
  • Geographical reach: the game meets the above criteria across international boundaries.
  • Influence: The game has exerted significant influence on the design and development of other games, on other forms of entertainment, or on popular culture and society in general. A game may be inducted on the basis of this criterion without necessarily having met all of the first three.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Oh snap

SSB Melee is in!?

Edit: Oh nominated but not added in, lame.
Nominated, but not chosen.

Can't really fight the four that got picked. If we're talking pure history, those are watershed games for the industry - especially for non-traditional gaming audiences.

Centipede maybe a little less so than the other three, but I understand the bias towards classic arcade stuff.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Glad to see Minecraft getting in. Easily one of the most influential games of all time, and this is coming from someone whose played a total of like 3 hours.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
If you ever find yourself in Rochester, NY you should definitely check out the Strong Museum. It's really cool.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
good picks, all three are iconic and important to video game history.

i hope melee and snake can one day get in :)