• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How are you playing your Switch?

• Entirely docked

Votes: 144 14.2%
  • Mostly docked

Votes: 248 24.5%
  • 50/50 docked and portable

Votes: 220 21.7%
  • Mostly portable

Votes: 222 21.9%
  • Entirely portable (I own the original Switch)

Votes: 130 12.8%
  • Entirely portable (I own the Switch Lite)

Votes: 49 4.8%

• Total voters

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
It's game-by-game. If I'm in a Smash mood, docked. If I'm in a Slay the Spire mood, portable. I've mostly been playing portable in the past few months.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I played mostly docked unless I'm going somewhere for an extended period of time, which i'll more than likely bring it with me.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Pokemon has been almost exclusively portable and it will be the same for Animal Crossing, Overall, though, I've gone for 50/50 because I like it both ways (so to speak). That's what makes it such a great console.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lite owner—handheld only for now, but holding out hope for a dockable revision this year.

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
Don't have the most available access to a screen/tv, and nearly all of my game consoles have been portable, so I'm 98% undocked.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Started out with the intent of using it exclusively portable, but I was never happy with the original system like that.
It was too big and heavy, the Joy-Cons feel flimsy, battery life was poor, and many games don't have UIs designed for portable mode.

It is nearly always docked now - ever since getting an mClassic and a second dock.
If the Lite could be docked, I'd probably have bought one of those and my usage would be more varied.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I only use it portable these days.

And I only play turn-based games on it.

Don't find twitchy stuff comfy really, but it's an amazing RPG machine to me

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
sold my launch day switch to fund a switch lite. the joy con drift was settling in and I only played handheld anyway.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Well, when playing alone it's always portable. But given I barely play it, I have to give the nod to docked for our occasional Smash Bros battles.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
Excluding the 15 minutes I docked it when I first bought it, I have been 100% portable. If I ever get around to getting ring fit then I guess docked mode will increase in use, but until that point I doubt I'll bother since I haven't over the last 2.5 years.

Love it as a portable device, use it whenever I take the train to see the girlfriend, travel for work, lying in bed, while mindlessly half paying attention to a show on tv, etc. It's brilliant.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Only play docked for ring fit otherwise, I use my Lite for everything else.
I am just more of a handheld person though, all my favorite systems are handhelds so I guess I'm just used to playing that way.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Almost always handheld, since launch. I will hook it up to the tv to play with my wife, but that almost never happens.

I own a Switch and a Switch lite. The big Switch is hacked, so I got the lite for online play. Interestingly, I am more drawn to the lite and find myself playing on it more. Possibly because it's new, possibly because I'm really into Tetris 99 atm.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I absolutely hate using the Joy-Cons, which is the main thing keeping me from ever playing handheld. Docked + Pro is the only way to go for me.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Entirely portable, I have a Switch Lite (but also regular Switch v2 in the dock). I haven't turned on the docked Switch since I got the Lite...although I am missing the bigger screen a bit. But I may just switch to the regular switch in portable mode.

Marco_Tovarich

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
When I'm at home mostly docked (unless I want to try a demo and I'm in bed), but then I travel often for work so I take the Switch and play portable.

I guess I'm 50/50.

I am planning on buying a yellow Lite because it's too beautiful.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
50/50 for me and I love it. I would never believe the Switch would become my dominate system for games.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I have the original, would play it more in portable mode if it was more portable (ie smaller).

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I'd say portable about 80% of the time. I'm always taking it with me somewhere and I actually find most games better in the portable mode personally.

The other 20% is fine. I could've probably just bought a Lite at this point but I got a V2 Switch and prefer the better battery life.

Last edited:

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I play it docked all the time, but when I'm at my PC playing with friends in pubg I'll sometimes keep it in portable mode but propped up on a cell phone holder