• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How are you playing your Switch?

• Entirely docked

Votes: 144 14.2%
  • Mostly docked

Votes: 248 24.5%
  • 50/50 docked and portable

Votes: 220 21.7%
  • Mostly portable

Votes: 222 21.9%
  • Entirely portable (I own the original Switch)

Votes: 130 12.8%
  • Entirely portable (I own the Switch Lite)

Votes: 49 4.8%

• Total voters

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I figure most people have gotten into a groove with their usage.

How are you playing it and has it changed from how you originally envisioned?

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
8 out of 10 sessions are in handheld mode. I usually only play games like Splatoon 2 and Ring Fit Adventure in TV mode lately.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
rare are the occasions I use it portable; --maybe because the power went down or I'll go in a place I can get comfortable playing without having to necessarily interact with people (like my grandma's house.. that's a good one). Other than that is 100% docked

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed I'd never undock it. And aside from just checking it out in the first couple of days, I haven't. It never leaves the dock, and never will.

It's what I've always wanted: all Nintendo games on a home system. I've hated having to play so many great games on portables over the years. The Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player were godsends. The DS and 3DS years were tough.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Almost always docked, unless on the rare occasion I feel like playing it in bed. I have big hands so I get cramped after a while in portable.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
100% portable since I got the Hori Split Pad Pro. It lacks so many features like rumble etc but it's worth the trade off when it makes my Switch so much more comfortable to play. It turned it into the holy grail of handheld gaming, especially being able to go buck wild with all my favorite MAME games.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Literally the only time I play docked is for Ring Fit Adventure, because that game absolutely does not feel like it was made to be played with the tiny portable screen.

Everything else, portable. I love love love portable systems.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much always docked. When I went to visit some family over the holidays I played it in portable mode for the first time in 10 or so months.

But that's the beauty of the system.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing the Witcher and I spend about half of the time in portable mode in the living room and the other half docked mode in my office.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I've put my Switch in the dock like, once or twice in the last 6 months. I almost exclusively play portable, in bed, or sometimes while watching TV I'm not super engaged with on the couch.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Played 99% portable before i traded in my OG switch for the Lite and have not regretted it.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Have the original Switch. Haven't played it on the TV at all in months. It's just so nice being able to play these top notch experiences and also have a sporting event on or something similar.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
50/50 depends on the game. A lot of indies I play handheld and a lot of AAA I play docked. Right now mostly docked as I'm playing Ring Fit Adventure the most on it.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
original switch. almost entirely portable. once in a while i'll dock it to see what a specific games looks like on the TV, but that's it.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I use the OG Switch & almost always play it docked. Every once in a while, I'll use Handheld Mode. But otherwise, it's just sitting in the dock under my TV. Using those Joy-Con analog sticks for Smash is basically a death-wish.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
90% of the time it's portable but as the kids have grown older they are starting to use it on the TV.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Didn't expect so many people using it Docked. Handheld is still winning but barely

Eden

Nov 15, 2017
Mostly portable so I've been waiting for an Animal Crossing Lite announcement since I'm not a huge fan of the available colours. Thought it would have been announced by now though 😔

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly docked but only because my joy cons drift :/ Before that, I was mostly portable by a long shot.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly docked. Joycon drift pretty scared me from mainly using it portable and I pretty much only sit at my desk to game anyways

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
It really depends on what I'm playing, but I've played in portable mode a significant chunk of the time.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Original Switch. Honestly, I have phases and it depends on the games I play.

Big games: docked. Smaller games: handheld. Right now I'm mostly playing docked thanks to Dragon Quest 11 S and AI The Somnium Files.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Entirely portable. I only use my Switch when I'm traveling abroad.

Scrap that, I also use it docked regularly for Ring Fit Adventure!

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly portable, I'm too lazy to play on the TV. I'd rather just stay in my comfy bed all wrapped up, but I'll do it occasionally especially for games like Xenoblade

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Entirely docked. Screen is broken so can't play table top mode anymore 😥

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly portable UNLESS I'm getting online for ANY reason. That includes smash online, Mario kart, trading Pokémon, making purchases. The dock is hard wired and I'm not going to add to the population that makes online on Switch a terrible experience.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Mostly portable but that's because I usually only get to play on it when I'm getting my kids to sleep.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Wow those results are so evenly distributed. No wonder people here argue if it's a home or portable console a lot.

Its both.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same as before, 95% portable. Last time it was docked was when I played through Luigi's Mansion 3 with my sister.