• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
First PAX, pretty excited. Really curious to see what Devolver are showing

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Excited a bit earlier in the year but we survived the big snow storm ( I think 3-4 Paxs ) ago where the wind chill was horrid.

wouldnt be Pax east without seeing behemoth to the right of the stairs as you go down the expo.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going kind of dreading it because it's fucking Boston in February and I'm just praying for no snow. A few years ago when there was snow during PAXE it was miserable getting there.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
More excited for the meets up here than the actual event. It just feels like a place to sell stuff on top of showing me some of the latest games I'm not interested in.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
right off the bat, I see Playstation with three booths, DD with three, and SE with two larger ones as well.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
I was interested in try out PAX this year, but Friday and Saturday badges are sold out.
Are 3rd party site reliable for buying badges? Or are they locked to 1 person/ID?

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
This will be my first PAX, so I'm very excited for this! I'm already eyeing that huge Nintendo booth.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Excited a bit earlier in the year but we survived the big snow storm ( I think 3-4 Paxs ) ago where the wind chill was horrid.

wouldnt be Pax east without seeing behemoth to the right of the stairs as you go down the expo.
Not going this year but I was on the one you mentioned. Coming from Cali I did not realize it was going to hurt to breathe if I did not have something to cover my face, it was so cold. I think that was the year the snow finished melting in Boston in June ^^'

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Action Burger (neé Kanik) usually makes the East Attendees thread. It should be live in the next week or two so please look forward to it. This is going to be my 10th PAX show as an Enforcer. I've loved every minute of it having now been to every US PAX show at least once. Snow or no snow, I'm looking forward to it even though it's bound to be brutally cold.😬

I might even be able to make it to Shojo this year barring no parties/other factors. It's always a fun time catching up with the (elusive) Boston Era crew.

This will be my first PAX, so I'm very excited for this! I'm already eyeing that huge Nintendo booth.
Welcome! Here's my golden pearl of wisdom for Nintendo or any large booth in general: you have to gun for it first thing in the morning or else the line will get closed for roughly 2-3 hours. They are always busy at every PAX so good luck. Nintendo is also known for drawing large crowds due to their raffles.
Larian Studios 👀

Are they always at PAX East?
Larian was at South this year and IIRC West 2019 so they've been coming to a few shows.

I was interested in try out PAX this year, but Friday and Saturday badges are sold out.
Are 3rd party site reliable for buying badges? Or are they locked to 1 person/ID?
You can try looking here http://Reddit.com/r/paxpassexchange

Additionally, peeps here on ResetEra will have tickets to sell for reasonable prices. There's also the Lite Exchange program.

PixelsByNight

Apr 22, 2019
USA
Looking forward to an exhausting PAX East! I'm going all 4-days. If you see a Mugman or Blue Shell cosplayer, don't hesitate to say hi!

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Thursday now best day to attend PAX because there isn't as many people walking around.

Sunday is really nice too. Saturday, though, is sheer crushing madness. I actually left the show floor early last year on Saturday because I couldn't take any more people. The mellower Sunday made up for it nicely.

Aug 23, 2018
I'll be there! Sony and MS usually have a decent sized booth. The Days Gone one from last year was awesome. Any possibiy TLOU2 gets similar treatment??

Aug 23, 2018
Sunday is really nice too. Saturday, though, is sheer crushing madness. I actually left the show floor early last year on Saturday because I couldn't take any more people. The mellower Sunday made up for it nicely.

Saturday is a zoo, and gets worse each year. They've been building up the Seaport (part ofBoston where the convention center is) with high rise condos and more restaurants. Traffic keeps getting worse, even on weekends

Nov 27, 2017
California
I moved to California so I'll be missing my first pax east, been going since Hynes convention center lol
I never did attend a meet up and I'm bummed I didn't but last years was pretty good.

Always take the train and walk that cold ass walk from south station, it's tradition

Aug 23, 2018
Yah most likely, im hoping they do it for GoT as well since they have 2 big ones and a small one.

That would be awesome. I won't get my hopes up but if they have one of those titles I'll be pretty happy. Do they announce what they're being (on the PSBlog) before hand? Likely will need the PS experience app- needed an apt last year to play ontrol

No Microsoft this year, just Mixer.

That's really surprising and very disappointing. Last year was just Mixer and a smaller booth for a bunch of indie GP titles. I thought for sure they'd be bringing a number of XGS game's that they have slated for the first half- Ori 2, Wasteland 3, Bleeding Edge, etc. Ah, well

Jan 20, 2019
That would be awesome. I won't get my hopes up but if they have one of those titles I'll be pretty happy. Do they announce what they're being (on the PSBlog) before hand? Likely will need the PS experience app- needed an apt last year to play ontrol

That's really surprising and very disappointing. Last year was just Mixer and a smaller booth for a bunch of indie GP titles. I thought for sure they'd be bringing a number of XGS game's that they have slated for the first half- Ori 2, Wasteland 3, Bleeding Edge, etc. Ah, well

No ideia, just hoping that is there and someone leak a gameplay video.

Haz

You have seen.
Oct 25, 2017
Friday / Saturday limited quantities available on site again.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017

Also there's a newly announced PlatinumGames panel with Inaba and Kamiya on Saturday 2PM in Albatross.

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is the Albatross Theatre just a name of one of the rooms in the convention center? I definitely want to go to that Platinum panel and know I will have to line up early, so I'd like to know where it is in advance lol. I've seen the map of the expo hall but is there a map where I can see where the Albatross is located?

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is the Albatross Theatre just a name of one of the rooms in the convention center? I definitely want to go to that Platinum panel and know I will have to line up early, so I'd like to know where it is in advance lol. I've seen the map of the expo hall but is there a map where I can see where the Albatross is located?

It's one of the panel rooms in the convention center. Whenever they push out the app/guidebook information it will have a map of the convention center you can look at. You can also get the map physically in the paper guide they hand out.

Since it's Albatross it'll probably be upstairs on the second floor. The theater naming generally goes: if it flies it's somewhere upstairs on the second floor, if it walks/moves on the ground it's somewhere on the main level, and if it swims/moves underground it's somewhere downstairs on the expo hall level.

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
It's one of the panel rooms in the convention center. Whenever they push out the app/guidebook information it will have a map of the convention center you can look at. You can also get the map physically in the paper guide they hand out.

That's great information, thanks so much! Very glad to know about the theater naming conventions. I saw on Twitter that they said the app should be out by the end of this week, so I'll be sure to look at the map then. Thanks again!!

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Deleted member 2699

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. The panel selection this years looks a little slim, but the show floor seems like it will be pretty good. I'm doing my first ever cosplay, and I'm excited and little nervous. Definitively want to check out the FF7 demo, and the Platinum panel.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Nice. The panel selection this years looks a little slim, but the show floor seems like it will be pretty good. I'm doing my first ever cosplay, and I'm excited and little nervous. Definitively want to check out the FF7 demo, and the Platinum panel.
Agreed, there's not much if anything I'm interested in attending panel wise this year. In the past, it was the Giant Bomb and Paxamania panels but both are absent this year. The Storytime Session panel is always fascinating. Also, Pat Baer's panel is probably going to be quite good: https://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/pat-baers-anime-club-yelling-about-the-shows-we-love Plus the Mega64 panel sounds good as well.

The way the FF7R demo works is there's going to be security cosplaying as Shinra guards who let people into an enclosed train station waiting room. Once inside, pictures and videos are prohibited but Jessie gives an overview of the game and a tutorial of the demo. Once the briefing ends, the SE rep asks if anyone has any questions (the release date always a FAQ so the rep is coy about it). Then they send the group out to demo stations and posters are given to attendees at the end of it. In total, it's about 20-25 mins (the demo is about 15 mins, video is roughly 5-7 mins).

I got to try out the demo at PAX West last year and my impression was that it played like Kingdom Hearts but with tactical elements and cinematic flair. It took place inside the Mako reactor and I found the banter between Cloud and Barrett fun. The visuals looked good on what was I assume was a PS4 Pro station with good quality headphones. Unless they're showing off an updated build of the demo, I would say to skip it in all honesty. But if you absolutely need to play it, then, by all means, go for it.

What are you planning to cosplay as?

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I usually use the PAX app to schedule, but apparently they're making a new one that's going live soon so I have to wait a bit. Just by judging the list, there aren't as many interesting panels as there usually are. Still, lots of great booths and stuff to try and see.

I echo whoever said Thursday is the best day to go. Far less foot traffic and you can get much smaller lines for stuff you want to do and see.
Also praying for no snow, especially since I am driving quite a distance. They really spooked me when they revealed the dates for this year. I've attended a PAX East when there was a big blizzard and it was not fun.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I usually use the PAX app to schedule, but apparently they're making a new one that's going live soon so I have to wait a bit. Just by judging the list, there aren't as many interesting panels as there usually are. Still, lots of great booths and stuff to try and see.

I echo whoever said Thursday is the best day to go. Far less foot traffic and you can get much smaller lines for stuff you want to do and see.
Also praying for no snow, especially since I am driving quite a distance. They really spooked me when they revealed the dates for this year. I've attended a PAX East when there was a big blizzard and it was not fun.
2017 was the one PAX East I missed and went to Chicago for C2E2 instead. The weather was nice out there. I've heard many, many horror stories about that PAX East. I'm coming from NYC but I'm taking a bus since I don't have a driver's license lol. The first two years I worked at PAX East, I would carpool with friends and while it was fun, parking was a pain in the ass. Not to mention it snowed in 2015 and 2016 prior to PAX East. Needless to say, it was fun navigating slush puddles and dealing with strong windchills (my favorite combo /s).

I am going as 2B from Nier. Managed to find a pretty nice looking costume on amazon. It's a little risque for my 1st time cosplaying, but this is something that I've wanted to for a long time, but have only recently worked up the courage to do.
Nice! At the end of the day, as long as you feel comfortable and are having fun, go for it. If you feel like you're being harassed or at any point feel uncomfortable, do report an issue and/or let a nearby Enforcer know. And if at any point you need a quiet place to take a breather, the AFK room is always there. It's usually on the second floor.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Does anyone know how the Lyte ticket exchange works? Am I guaranteed to get my money back?

EDIT: Going through my receipts look like they sent the wrong day.....fuuuuuclk

Last edited:

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Does anyone know how the Lyte ticket exchange works? Am I guaranteed to get my money back?

EDIT: Going through my receipts look like they sent the wrong day.....fuuuuuclk
The way Lyte Exchange works is ReedPOP refunds 60% of the ticket cost. Unless it's for a sold-out day in which case, you'd get refunded the full amount i.e. since a 4 Day is not sold out, ReedPOP would buy it back for roughly $160-$170 and resell it at face value. Conversely, you'd a get full refund for a Saturday badge.
Not For Resale: A Video Game Store Documentary will be screening Friday night at 8 at PAX.

(I'll be doing Q&A afterward!)
Nice! I've been lurking in the thread. That's cool that's it's being shown at PAX East! My Friday night is TBD at the moment. But I'll definitely spread the word to friends working the show who don't have any social plans after their shift.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Contemplating going but none of my boys can make it. Going solo is an option but I just have a better time when I have another persons energy with me if that makes sense.

Just a huge bummer tbh

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Contemplating going but none of my boys can make it. Going solo is an option but I just have a better time when I have another persons energy with me if that makes sense.

Just a huge bummer tbh

Do it to hang out with the Boston Era boys (and a mix of us New Yorkers and some Canadians). There is a (dead) Discord that gets active a week or so leading up to PAX East and simmers after the show is over. Conversely, y'all can use the Discord to rendezvous at the show to do stuff and make friends. :)

You can also go and make friends at Tabletop Freeplay or while waiting on a queue for something since that's the magic of PAX. Furthermore, you can go to the Westin or any of the neighboring hotels to make more friends. Who knows? You might even run into a dev or two there like I ran into and met Suda 51 at Aloft a couple of years ago.
Hopefully it's not against the rules to advertise my own game but I'll be there showing off The Iron Oath in the indie mega booth so come check it out woooooo (booth 23055)

Nah, it's cool and pretty harmless. I'll make sure to remind Action Burger tomorrow about putting up the PAX East 2020 OT over the weekend so you devs and guests going can repost it in there again. :p Besides, I kind of know the GM IRL so you're good. ;)