• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
you're about 7 days too early OP...this just means something terrible is going to happen in the next 7 days.

so far it's probably MHW iceborne PC which technically is a 2019 release but because capcom hates PC users they released it 4 months later than console

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Is it halfway over?

Either way, my GOTY thus far is probably RE3. I liked FFVIIR but tapped out after the plate collapse cuz I just didn't want to continue and I bounced off of DOOM: Eternal really hard. Still need to play TLOU2 tho...

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As much as I loved both Final Fantasy VII Remake and Ori and the Will of Whisps, I think The Last of Us Part II might actually be my favourite game of all time, dethroning a game that has been at the top of my list for over 20 years, so obviously TLOU2 is my GOTY thus far, and I'd be shocked if anything beat it.

Last edited:

GhoulOne

Mar 4, 2018
Doom Eternal. But I haven't played many 2020 releases so far. I think the only other ones I've played were Streets of Rage 4 and Moving Out on Game Pass

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Either Xenoblade DE or Wonderful 101 Remastered. But in terms of new games released this year, probably Streets of Rage 4. Animal Crossing didn't grab me like it has in the past, and I haven't played FF7RE but I don't think it would come out on top anyway. Only game I haven't played that I could consider being a contender would be DOOM Eternal, but that's just based on how much I loved DOOM 2016, and the new movement mechanics look fun.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
22 hours in, and it's TLOU2 by a landslide*. This game is next-level.

*It could totally not stick the landing, but everything up until this point has been so good, I can't see that happening.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I have actually only played 2.5 games so far as I am getting through TLOU2

So as of now, it is
TLOU2
Ori
Doom Eternal

As that is literally all I have played.

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
Was pretty sure nothing could top FFVII as I was fully expecting ''more of the same, but still great work' from Naughty Dog. Boy was I wrong. The Last of Us Part II made me feel things I've never felt before in a video game. Even with the pacing being bad at times (my biggest gripe with the game), I still couldn't believe what I was playing, both from a gameplay and story perspective. Easy no. 1 so far, but hoping to be blown away by Cyberpunk.

DonAntti

Mar 11, 2019
Finland
My top 3 at the moment are:

3. Streets Of Rage 4
2. Dreams
1. Final Fantasy VII Remake

I fully expect The Last Of Us Part 2 to take the number 1 or 2 slot after I finish it.

jrb

Nov 9, 2017
The Last of Us Part II

The only tittle I can see fighting for it so far is Half-Life: Alyx.

Let's see if Cyberpunk 2077, Ghost of Tsushima and CK III can fight for it too.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
The Last of Us Part 2 so far

I haven't finished it yet, but I'm having a blast. We'll see how it ends. If I'm unsatisfied then maybe Doom Eternal.

But Eternal also had a bad ending too 🤔

Oct 25, 2017
It's a Remaster but my GOTY so far is the Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection.

Aside of that there are some games I haven't played that might end up as my top game, some I'm really interested in are: Outer Wilds(Steam) and, Death Stranding(PC version) seemed to get a lot of love last year so I can't wait to play them now that they are on my platform of choice.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
Haven't played a lot of games that came out this year, but of what I have played, Doom Eternal. I enjoyed Ori as well, but I don't think it was quite as good as the first.

I wish wish wish I had played Return of the Obra Dinn the year it came out, but I didn't play it until this year.

bigbusiness

Lead Editor @ The Punished Backlog
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
United States
Echoing many here already, but as it stands now:

1. TLOU Part II
2. FF7R
3. Ori and the WotW

Personally rooting for Cyberpunk 2077 to take the crown. And if Origami King and Ghost of Tsushima are remotely good... wow, what an impressive year for games (and a lot of other terrible s***).

(Hollow Knight: Silksong could also be a contender, should it make a fall 2020 release. Fingers crossed!)

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Honestly? Maybe Bug Fables. I also really liked Xenoblade Chronicles DE and Ori 2, Final Fantasy VII Remake was good too.

Edit: Even though Bug Fables originally came out last year, I suppose.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I think its going to be FF7R. Haven't completed tlou 2 at this point so that may change. So far it is a damn close runner up

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
With the huge caveat that I have not finished TLOU2 yet and therefore can't vote for it at this time, my GOTY is MLB The Show 20, which is hugely improved this year.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I haven't finished it yet but it may be The Last of Us part 2. Even if I hate the ending, the gameplay improvements and sections where it turns into a super intense horror game have been fucking fantastic.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
FF7 Remake.....its the dream final fantasy game you scribble in a notebook when you are ten.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I am still playing TLoU2 so it could change, but right now it's a toss up between Animal Crossing and TLoU2.

Cyberpunk, if it's at least as good as TW3, will likely take the crown by end of year.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Half Life Alyx and Ori and the WotW. I've not played Doom Eternal yet, but will. No interest in TLOU2, and no ability to play FF7R, unfortunately.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, would be shocked if any other game beats TLOU2 for my personal GOTY. Hell, it is competing for the GOTG/GOAT for me personally.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive and P5R are by far the best games I've played this year but it feels weird saying those are my GOTY. Other than them it's Murder By Numbers.

Check it out

Oct 25, 2017
1. Part II

Nothing else has come close to matching this game from what I've played so far in 2020.

2. Animal Crossing
3. Persona 5 R
4. FF7R
5. Doom Eternal

Oct 28, 2017
The Last of Us 2. I am only about 13 hours into it. I am just loving everything about it so far, and when I am not playing, I am thinkng about what I have experienced so far. I know some people have said that it is too long, or there is a lot of filler and the game could be shorter, but I am just loving everything about it so far. It just feels like this epic story and experience I haven't experienced before.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
FF7 remake. No contest. I'm sure TLOU2 is great but I'm waiting until it's dirt cheap. Would've been Animal Crossing but after 3 months and 170 hours I kinda hate it.